• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Off topic but the strangest thing happened to me on Wi-fi today. I'll ask if I can upload my videos so you guys can see too.
Could you give a summary of what happened just in case?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Could you give a summary of what happened just in case?
I was playing an online team match when somebody summons Skull Kid from an AT. He does his magic stuff and turns everyone invisible, but when he disappears, nobody can move at all. Then, once the match ends, I can see the characters that the players in the server are selecting (or who they played as last match). Finally, even though everyone is "ready" for the next match, we are all stuck in the training room on the stage that we should be going to in the next match, for around a minute. Then I quit. Videos should be up by the end of today.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I was playing an online team match when somebody summons Skull Kid from an AT. He does his magic stuff and turns everyone invisible, but when he disappears, nobody can move at all. Then, once the match ends, I can see the characters that the players in the server are selecting (or who they played as last match). Finally, even though everyone is "ready" for the next match, we are all stuck in the training room on the stage that we should be going to in the next match, for around a minute. Then I quit. Videos should be up by the end of today.
Sounds super interesting. Not Ice Climbers related, but I wouldnt know which thread to put this either.

<Green>

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrabbyGuy
Ya, Ness does look pretty lonely. I mean I guess he kinda has Toon Link but they're pretty much the only kids of this game. I'd say that if we get ICies and Mewtwo back, we should also include Lucas and Wolf in there. Those were the three characters from Brawl who I think shouldn't have been scrapped.
I know that that is an old post, but toon link is mute. Ness must be even more lonely, since his only friend just screams HIYAAA!
It's funny, i didn't play icies that much until recently, but a roster with no icies just feels... empty.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I know that that is an old post, but toon link is mute. Ness must be even more lonely, since his only friend just screams HIYAAA!
It's funny, i didn't play icies that much until recently, but a roster with no icies just feels... empty.
That's not exactly true, in wind waker he says "C'mon" when calling medli or makar

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I always liked the Icies and their game, but I was never very good at playing as them.

I wanted to get back into them in PM, but for the same reasons I never play as Squirtle/Ivysaur/Fake Lucario/Snake/Wolf/Lucas, I couldn't do it for fear of affecting my Smash 4 play.

I've started forcing myself to again, though, because I'm writing a story about them now. Method writing and all that.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Eh, I've started to become accustomed to Toon being a young adventurous type, just like Ness, and that's why I throw them together...

You got me there. Still, I think you got the point, the smash roster has a gaping hole in it without the Icies (and others).
*Prays for DLC
But this is SO true. I still play the Smash 4 roster in the way I played the Brawl roster (doing my favorites first, and going down my Brawl tier list), throwing in the newcomers in between each veteran in the order I like the newcomers. So when I get to where the ICies should be (along with Snake, Wolf, and Lucas' spots) I think "Alright, ICies time!", then I stop and wonder why I can't find them on the character select screen. Makes me sad...

I always liked the Icies and their game, but I was never very good at playing as them.

I wanted to get back into them in PM, but for the same reasons I never play as Squirtle/Ivysaur/Fake Lucario/Snake/Wolf/Lucas, I couldn't do it for fear of affecting my Smash 4 play.

I've started forcing myself to again, though, because I'm writing a story about them now. Method writing and all that.
Cool. If you could, would ya post the entire thing on this thread when you're done?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Gonna be honest here.
I expected these three to be cut.:squirtle::ivysaur::snake: I was fully prepared.
These three however I wasn't ready for. Let alone them all :'(
:lucas::popo::wolf:
Same here, we were prepared for the first three, the second three should not have been cut.

Being able to play as the Nintendo characters you know and love in Super Smash Bros, is the vary definition of having fun, and letting creativity run wild.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Wolf in particular was just confusing, because there's a major Star Fox release later this year. You'd think that he'd be "high priority" with that.

<Green>

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrabbyGuy
Wolf in particular was just confusing, because there's a major Star Fox release later this year. You'd think that he'd be "high priority" with that.
Definitely

Off topic and a newb question: how do you out pictures in the status message thing? Thanks

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Definitely

Off topic and a newb question: how do you out pictures in the status message thing? Thanks
For pictures click the picture button in between the smiley face (headcannon) and the two squares ( movie uploader) and simply paste the url of the image in the box, and boom image uploaded,
ex.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Fanfic Writing status:

I've narrowed down a time period; circa 1897.

Game & Watch: Climber, which I'm taking several elements from, has a character called "Lord Meiji" in its manual/backstory, which limits the story to between the 1868 and 1912 – the Meiji Period of Japan.

Furthermore, the late 1890s were the period of the Klondike Gold Rush, which is a, pardon the pun, gold mine for potential plot points.

I love when things match up nicely. Of course the story's not going to be anywhere near hyper-realistic, but it's nice to have a general idea of things, you know.

Last edited:

<Green>

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrabbyGuy
For pictures click the picture button in between the smiley face (headcannon) and the two squares ( movie uploader) and simply paste the url of the image in the box, and boom image uploaded,
ex.
Thanks so much. Also I think i accidentally reported your post when trying to reply.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Fanfic Writing status:

I've narrowed down a time period; circa 1897.

Game & Watch: Climber, which I'm taking several elements from, has a character called "Lord Meiji" in its manual/backstory, which limits the story to between the 1868 and 1912 – the Meiji Period of Japan.

Furthermore, the late 1890s were the period of the Klondike Gold Rush, which is a, pardon the pun, gold mine for potential plot points.

I love when things match up nicely. Of course the story's not going to be anywhere near hyper-realistic, but it's nice to have a general idea of things, you know.
It also works considering the Gold Rush took place in the mountains, which our little buddies are always climbing.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Thanks so much. Also I think i accidentally reported your post when trying to reply.
Oh what did you report me for? Don't worry it should be fine, pretty sure the mods actually look over reported posts to see if they're truly worthy of being reported or if some joker just being mean to someone.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Oh what did you report me for? Don't worry it should be fine, pretty sure the mods actually look over reported posts to see if they're truly worthy of being reported or if some joker just being mean to someone.
Probably misread the report button as the reply button

<Green>

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrabbyGuy
I think i said thanks in the report box, thinking it was the reply box. sorry

mark welford

Smash Ace
I have sent the message I hope he reads it I added even if you do not care thank you for your time and good luck at you next tournament outing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I support this fully. It feels wrong to have a two time veteran be cut, even if it was because of technical difficulties. :c

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
So would anybody here want a reboot for the Ice Climbers series, like how Kid Icarus got? Is there anything that can be done with the source material that would be interesting? Moreover, would you actually buy an IC reboot? (did anyone like the original Ice Climber game? I thought it was kind of terrible, honestly, but maybe it's time I try it again)

Sakurai said they had problems getting them to work on the 3DS, but also said that since the series had no future, they weren't a priority. You can bet your hats that if Ice Climbers were some Baby Mario/Luigi combo, they would have done something about them, not throw their hands in the air and say "welp, we tried." The implication is that they would have spent more time working on them if they were from a big series. The IC simply had the misfortune of being irrelevant nobodies, and therefore not high on his priority list. What a shame.

the two were reportedly difficult to implement on the console, and as the duo lacked the potential for a new game in their debut series, Sakurai intentionally gave the Ice Climbers a low priority on returning.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So would anybody here want a reboot for the Ice Climbers series, like how Kid Icarus got? Is there anything that can be done with the source material that would be interesting? Moreover, would you actually buy an IC reboot? (did anyone like the original Ice Climber game? I thought it was kind of terrible, honestly, but maybe it's time I try it again)

Sakurai said they had problems getting them to work on the 3DS, but also said that since the series had no future, they weren't a priority. You can bet your hats that if Ice Climbers were some Baby Mario/Luigi combo, they would have done something about them, not throw their hands in the air and say "welp, we tried." The implication is that they would have spent more time working on them if they were from a big series. The IC simply had the misfortune of being irrelevant nobodies, and therefore not high on his priority list. What a shame.
I'm far too young to have been able to play the original Ice Climber, but I think could enjoy a new game. Honestly, anything to get these guys back on my TV screen would be pretty neat.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Well the series was clearly big/popular enough for it to be included in the 3DS ambassador promotion and Tetris DS, and the game is pretty damn fun/difficult IMO due to it being like many NES platformers in the respect that it had somewhat realistic jumping mechanics (no changing direction in midair). I'd be all for a reboot to get newer gamers/people who weren't on the ambassador program into the series (except maybe this time a little more accessible XD) and to give Sakurai an excuse to stop being demotivated about them.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
You guys remember this fan-made mockup of a potential IC reboot?

I like neither the tired "heir" cliche nor the papyrus font, but it's so cute seeing them like this in a world potentially their own. On the very unlikely chance Nintendo ever paid attention to them outside of a Smash Bros context (and that 3DS theme), I wonder what they'd go with. I mean, the Kid Icarus reboot and the original Kid Icarus are tied together in name only, right?

This is a terrible idea but I was thinking today if there were some mass publicized event where everybody bought Ice Climber on the eShop at the same time, it'd be a neat stunt to show that there is interest and devotion. Of course, this will never happen because there really isn't an IC fanbase (is there?), it would require a lot of organization to go through successfully, and it probably wouldn't have enough numbers for Nintendo to even notice it unless there were a lot of hullabaloo about it beforehand, but it's nice to dream~.

I remember the call-a-thons Starmen.net did for Mother 3 localizations and other EB stuff. I know they stopped doing those a long time ago, but I wonder if they ever had any effect, positive or negative. I mean, EarthBound finally showed up on the Wii U VC, but the call-a-thons had long been dead and the EB community resigned to its fate as carrying the torch. In any case, you obviously can't compare the situations.

PF9

Smash Lord
Well, my headcanon explanation as to why the ICs left Smash is because, after 13 years, they had been fascinated with the idea of Pokemon, and upon learning that there were Ice-type Pokemon, set out to become Ice-type masters (they would also capture Pokemon that aren't of that type but could easily pass for it, like Piplup and Suicune). I might write a fanfic in this regard.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Well, my headcanon explanation as to why the ICs left Smash is because, after 13 years, they had been fascinated with the idea of Pokemon, and upon learning that there were Ice-type Pokemon, set out to become Ice-type masters (they would also capture Pokemon that aren't of that type but could easily pass for it, like Piplup and Suicune). I might write a fanfic in this regard.
maybe IC as a doubles Ice-type trainer, Mario as a Fire-type trainer and Kirby as a Fairy-type trainer... plz make this happen game freak!

Also IC inazuma eleven go galaxy/go chrono stone DLC would be cool

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I think that Sakurai could have Ice Climbers on 3ds by just having Popo only on 3ds, whereas Nana would be alongside Popo in Wii U. After all, on 3ds Popo could just be much stronger because there is no Nana. Nothing is preventing that. Who would have objections to that, as long as Ice Climbers are in? Also, Nana could still be part of Popo's up b on 3ds then, but she'd disappear after

Sonsa

Smash Champion
He said there was no problems with them on Wii U (really, even with 8-player smash??) but maybe on Wii U they'd act as normal, but on 3DS Nana's AI could be...hmm... well cause what they did for Pikmin is lower their frame rate and graphics I guess...Luma seems normal though. It'd be pretty obvious if Nana had a lower frame rate or fewer polygons when she's always right next to her twin... I dont know if it would help but maybe just on the 3ds her AI level could be downright stupid? Maybe if youre too far apart she just goes into some kinda scared helpless state till you get back? Would work when you switch costumes and climbers too, Popo would be the helpless one too. I don't really know if that would help... I'm sure they tried many solutions since they were so close to being in.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
He said there was no problems with them on Wii U (really, even with 8-player smash??) but maybe on Wii U they'd act as normal, but on 3DS Nana's AI could be...hmm... well cause what they did for Pikmin is lower their frame rate and graphics I guess...Luma seems normal though. It'd be pretty obvious if Nana had a lower frame rate or fewer polygons when she's always right next to her twin... I dont know if it would help but maybe just on the 3ds her AI level could be downright stupid? Maybe if youre too far apart she just goes into some kinda scared helpless state till you get back? Would work when you switch costumes and climbers too, Popo would be the helpless one too. I don't really know if that would help... I'm sure they tried many solutions since they were so close to being in.
The difference that Nana has from Luma or Pikmin is that she is effectively a second Popo with slightly different physics on a handful of attacks (e.g. spike on FAir comes from the hammer held by Nana (or whichever one the AI is controlling for that particular pallet swap). While Luma and Pikmin are technically AIs, they are simple entities as opposed to being full-on character entities. This is why they are playable on the 3DS while IC are not. I hope that they release N3DS and Wii U-exclusive DLC for IC (much like they are releasing N3DS-exclusive games like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D), and it will definitely make SSB4 feel more like a smash game.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
The difference that Nana has from Luma or Pikmin is that she is effectively a second Popo with slightly different physics on a handful of attacks (e.g. spike on FAir comes from the hammer held by Nana (or whichever one the AI is controlling for that particular pallet swap). While Luma and Pikmin are technically AIs, they are simple entities as opposed to being full-on character entities. This is why they are playable on the 3DS while IC are not. I hope that they release N3DS and Wii U-exclusive DLC for IC (much like they are releasing N3DS-exclusive games like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D), and it will definitely make SSB4 feel more like a smash game.
Yeah, I know, thats why as I wrote I knew it couldn't work. But while I know Pikmin and Luma as simple, Nana shares a trait with them: AI. I don't know how intense AI strains the game, but Luma and Pkmin do pretty much nothing without your command so my suggestion was if youre too far apart from Nana, she goes into a helpless state where she has no AI. It would suck, but at least they'd be in the games.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Agreed. Though I haven't felt as horrible as I thought I would without ICies in, it still pains me to think they were almost in. I do need my retro trio back, because my mains (excluding R.O.B. and Mr. G&W) are not retro. And there's no way a Retro Duo is better than a Retro Trio...

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Agreed. Though I haven't felt as horrible as I thought I would without ICies in, it still pains me to think they were almost in. I do need my retro trio back, because my mains (excluding R.O.B. and Mr. G&W) are not retro. And there's no way a Retro Duo is better than a Retro Trio...
*Retro Septet (Popo, Nana, G&W, R.O.B., Dog, Duck, Shooter (off-screen)). Give the unlisted heroes some love :estatic:

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
*Retro Septet (Popo, Nana, G&W, R.O.B., Dog, Duck, Shooter (off-screen)). Give the unlisted heroes some love :estatic:
I said of my mains, Duck Hunt isn't one of them. Though I am liking him a bit more. He's just a fun character. And that's basically the entire game for me. You're either one of my mains, a character that I can't play well, or a fun character in the middle. Of course if ICies were brought back through DLC, they'd be one of my mains, completing my Retro Trio again.

Last edited:

sadn3ss

Smash Cadet
At this point I doubt they will be dlc aqs much as it sadens me prove me wrong nintendo!

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Why not scrapping the whole battle team thing and make Sopo that can handle himself? Nana's AI is beyond stupid and is so random that it makes IC harder to play than Olimar. Why not having Sopo, with Nana as an alt, have a fixed moveset. Up B the Climber that is not used helps the played Climber to recover and said non played cliber appears in the victory screen. Without another Climber chaingrabs are no longer an issue. And if you want both Climbers play teams. Fans get the characters, there's no more issues playing them and gimmicks, everyone wins! Who cares about a broken gimmick that brings problems?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Why not scrapping the whole battle team thing and make Sopo that can handle himself? Nana's AI is beyond stupid and is so random that it makes IC harder to play than Olimar. Why not having Sopo, with Nana as an alt, have a fixed moveset. Up B the Climber that is not used helps the played Climber to recover and said non played cliber appears in the victory screen. Without another Climber chaingrabs are no longer an issue. And if you want both Climbers play teams. Fans get the characters, there's no more issues playing them and gimmicks, everyone wins! Who cares about a broken gimmick that brings problems?
Popo (Nana) could be alone for moving around and Nana (Popo) could be summoned for attacks and specials and taunts, then disappear.

Top Bottom