• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl's Not a Competitive Fighter

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*

What do people not understand is that what robs most fighters of uniqueness is the basic model of kick and punch variations? It's not a difficult concept. Really. I promise. You don't have to play fighters at a Justin Wong level to know that the game follows an archetype and that the characters are not wholly unique. In fact, I can guarantee very few people actually read the entire post, judging by how they're stating things covered and explained in the OP. >_>;

Secondly, if anything, I'm an MK fanboy. I just know people give Smash a lot of hell it doesn't deserve.

I did read the entire post. The entire time I was thinking "why are smashers the only one that get all defensive about their game".

seriously, just shut the fuck up and play what you like. You have way too many misconceptions about fighting games and it shows quite plainly throughout your initial post that if I bothered replying to every single misconception I'd have a 6 page essay. Hell, you even admit you only play smash. Finally stop citing Mortal Kombat which is a terrible game in the first place lol.

I can easily say that smash characters are not WHOLLY UNIQUE too. Fox/Falco/Wolf are just clones of each other, Ganondorf is a clone of Captain Falcon, Luigi is a clone of Mario, Jigglypuff is a clone of Kirby, Toon Link is a clone of Link...You see what I'm saying? To someone who doesn't play smash, it's easy to just say that a lot of brawl's cast are just clones of each other.

Also, every character in every fg follows an archetype of sort. This is NO exception to smash AT ALL. To respond to your examples in your original post, Ike is the slow tank while fox is the glass cannon (more glass than cannon though, hur). Zangief in sf4 is the slow tank while Akuma in the same game is a glass cannon. You cannot play Zangief, who lacks a fireball, dragonpunch (lariet does not count as a dp), relies on command throws, has high hp, and is generally slow, the same way as Akuma, who has a fb, dp, a situational command throw(as in he doesn't rely on em, but they're there for mixups), low hp, and medium speed (I believe), in the same way you cannot play Ike and Fox the same way. They're way too different from each other.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
"How do you win X matchup with Snake?"
"Camp with grenades and space with Ftilt."
"How do you win Y matchup with Snake?"
"Camp with grenades and space with Ftilt."

It was an interesting read, to say the least.

On a side note, Fox, Falco, and Wolf absolutely cannot be clones of each other. They absolutely cannot be. It is impossible.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I demonstrated that I know why. I've played Smash competitively for years now. I don't spend my life traveling cross-country to California for tournaments, but I do play at a high level. Secondly, I never said it was "deeper" than other games, per se, rather, it had more elements and more dimensions which amalgamate. I also never said any particular thing was unique to smash, rather, Smash vivified the concept.
You still implied rather heavily that the game was deeper, by saying that in incorporates elements of character depth and stage depth that are simply not present in other games.

Fundamentally, they are. Deplete the health bar equates to force output. If you put out less force than your opponent, you will likely lose. Simple as that.
If you want to play that game, Smash is all about force output, too. Gimp your opponent faster, and you win. Magic!

You'll notice I never said anything specific about Guilty Gear because I do not play it at a high level. However, I do play it, and I'm fully aware of its absence from the list of games with a level of freedom equivocal to Smash. Guilty Gear is fast, but you're deluding yourself if you believe it's without confines and has a plane of motion like Smash's. As for its characters, I'm aware they have a distinct uniqueness to them, but they still are primarily separated by special moves. Basic movesets are still present among a myriad of other things.
You're now acting like Smash doesn't have moveset tropes. Look at dtilts, ftilts, jabs, bairs, nairs, uairs, dairs, fsmashes, dsmashes, etc. Most of them follow very specific tropes. That's because there are certain abilities within the game that you need in order to have a functioning character. Just because those needs are different in Smash from other fighters doesn't make them suddenly "unique." Maybe their form and function are new, but their necessity is as old as fighting games.

That's the entire point: that the stages are trying, but not impossible to overcome. I main Ganondorf, and I've beaten R.O.B.s on FO before, and Warios on Brinstar. Good ones. I had an extremely rough time, but the beauty of it is that I was able to think differently and play differently to utilize the facets of the stage to my advantage. That, my friend, is what adds depth. Your line of reasoning that it being degenerate to one character subtracting depth doesn't quite follow.
I've got a secret for you: If you're beating Warios and ROBs on their respective counterpicks as Ganondorf, they clearly don't know how to use the level to their advantage. If they did, you would have lost. Congratulations on being better than they are, but realize that anecdotes like that hold little sway in debate.

19 are left. That's plenty, methinks.
19/41 = .46

My point stands. Keep in mind most tournaments only have about fifteen legal CPs, and four legal neutrals, and there are those that argue Yoshi's Island isn't neutral, because of DK's Spinning Kong shenanigans. The point: there are three stages that are widely considered to accurately represent the comparison of skills that two players possess. If you want me to break it down for you, here it goes.

Two players of near, but not equal, skill play on a neutral. Naturally, the slightly better player wins. The slightly worse player CPs to a stage where his character has a large advantage, plays the match properly, and wins. Then the slightly better player picks his CP, and wins the set. The second two matches may as well have not even happened, since their outcomes were guaranteed barring some major failure of one player to play properly. Note that if the slightly worst player had managed to win the first match, because as players of near skill, the slightly worse player will of course win occasionally, even when both players are playing properly, he would have won the whole set.

This widens the gap necessary for better players to win according to their skill level. The reason full sets are played is to give the better player a chance to win through their statistical advantage, but Smash removes that concept entirely.

I've played them all save for BlazBlue. And you'd be less embarrassed if you actually read into why the characters were unique. The point I covered several times was that fighting games can have unique characters, but Smash supersedes them by a mile. Why? Speed difference, attack speed, range, personalized movesets, different physics, weights, KO options, etc. Shall I go on? It's nice that MvC2 has everybody and their mother's in it, but that doesn't change the fact that each character follows a basic model.
Speed difference is in many of those games, and no amount of your denial will make it less true that characters in those games have character specific attack speeds, ranges and movesets. I wouldn't have listed them if I weren't positive of this fact. They don't all have different weights, although BB at least has different fall-speeds. They make up for this, however, by making each character have a character specific amount of HP, meaning the same combo will do relatively more or less damage to different characters. That sounds a lot like the character-specific KO percents. Interesting. True, KO moves are unique to Smash, but that's just a function of the King-of-the-Hill mechanic of the game, which I've never denied is unique.

There's a difference between projectile range and actual move range, especially in a rock-paper-scissors sense. In MK Shang Tsung's jumpkick has an annoyingly long hitbox that's impossible to punish, but if you're Nightwolf, your high kick extends beyond it a tiny bit, and can knock him down. Each move has its own range and priority, and is not limited to projectiles or special moves.
Thanks for illustrating my point. Stop saying other games don't bring range into consideration now.

Does this subtract from the inherent uniqueness of the concept? No. That, and planking rules have been instated, drastically mitigating the amount of plankers. Over the past several months, I haven't fought one MK, G&W or anyone who planked. Even if they did, again, this doesn't demerit the dimension of play it offers.
Fair enough. It's a unique aspect of the game, and it adds an element that is unseen in the rest of the genre. I never tried to deny that, though. I was contrasting this with your implications that it makes Smash somehow a deeper game. I'm showing that where it introduces deep options, it also introduces pretty shallow ones. You've admitted that many of the degenerate options for stalling are directly related to abusing weaknesses in other characters' recoveries. Some of this stuff has had to be banned in the past, if that says anything about the competitiveness of the game. I've admitted that the King-of-the-Hill mechanic is unique, which is really rather meaningless in a game's competitiveness. Now stop skirting around the fact that the balance of the concept is questionable.

You're sorely undermining the profundity of Smash's fluidity. I didn't state camping can't be done in other fighters, nor did I say you can't run. Sure, Smash has its share of just about everything; but that's the great thing: it accommodates everything. The fluidity of the game alone should be indicative of how much it can affect the need for precision, timing and punishing. Those games give you limited options, again, hearkening to rock-paper-scissors. Not to say this is intrinsically bad, but my point is that Smash's nature breeds technical ability, precision and an analysis of more variable outcomes.
I think you underestimate the fluidity of other fighters. More specifically, you're confusing the ability to turn around with fluidity. See the next scab-picking.

It seems like you're purposely ignoring the focal point of each listing. Cross-ups and mix-ups do not equate to creativity. Again, rock-paper-scissors. You have to anticipate simply that: high or low. Pay close attention to the phrase "attacking out of context". Most fighters simply do not allow for it, as each move is too restricted to be implemented in creative ways.
I'm saying that attacking out of context is the same thing. It's a mix-up. Whether you hit me with the front or the back of a move is still nothing more or less than a mix-up. You can hit me with a bair, or with the back of fair. It's up to me to decide if I'm safe in that situation, and if I guess wrong, then I get punished. This is actually what a cross-up is; it just has a different utility in other fighters than in Smash. I'll have more on this later.

Did I say Smash was the only game with tier lists? You're repeatedly proving to me that you just skimmed my post and decided to be contentious. >_>

And no, I've never, in all my years, seen as much thought and consideration going into constructing a solid tier list as Smash. The uniqueness catalyzes imbalance, and that imbalance is carefully dissected and formulated into a list. There are many more factors into considering a Smash character's tier placement thanks to the vast ocean of differences and remarkable attributes.
Maybe Smash players put too much thought into it. I've always felt that there is a tendency of Smashers to overanalyze stuff, and I'm amazed every time I have to explain a simple concept to people.

And ultimately, when I talk to good players, they can break match-ups down to really simple things, even in Smash. A friend of mine said of Olimar dittos that the player who is willing to fsmash more will win. That sounds like the underthinking that you find so offensive, doesn't it? Unfortunately for your point, this breakdown is very true, and I think the Smash community would be healthier if it learned to look at things this way.

Hell, the SBR-B really just votes on the tier list, and if their is any debate, most members just keep their own counsel on who they think is better. That's really not much different than other communities, when you think about it.

And you're half right about the skimming. I only read the post seriously until you decided to suggest that Guilty Gear lacks mobility. Did you play Potemkin or something? Because you could argue Smash lacks mobility if you play Link. But then go play Eddie in Guilty Gear, or Jigglypuff in Smash, and you can see a lot more mobility.

I didn't forget it, but I didn't expound upon it. But you're right, it is an important facet. But if you're fooling yourself into thinking DI is the one unique trait of Smash, then you're sadly mistaken, I'm afraid.
My point was that DI is the one unique aspect of Smash that is well-balanced, and that is actually significant. I've admitted that the ring-out/KO element is unique, but even you have to admit it's poorly balanced in every game. The ability to turn around, as I've shown, is just a mix-up. Mix-ups are not new, and just because Smash gives them a new face doesn't mean it's particularly ground breaking.

Half the fun of Smash is consistently outthinking and outplaying your opponent. The healthbar sidelines a lot of potential creativity and gameplay.
It's as though you're not paying attention to me. Read carefully the following statement:

Other fighters let you consistently out-think and out-play your opponents.

All the health bar does is ensure that you don't have to do it for three minutes straight for that one opportunity to to hit with a solid KO move. I don't care how good you are; not being able to KO your opponent at 200% is frustrating, and possibly even demoralizing. Moreso, if you can only hit them with little hits for three whole minutes.

Overall, I can see where you're coming from, but in your own presentation of points, you failed to fully acknowledge the bulk of mine. Instead of focusing on the inherent dimensions of gameplay, you picked at scabs and negative possibilities. If you reply to this, I'd appreciate some examples of how any other game stacks up to Smash as far as characters and stages go.
I've already shown that stages really only impact the game negatively, if they impact it significantly at all, so I won't bother with that, but I'd like to take a minute with BlazBlue, even though it's a pretty **** imbalanced game. But aside from Smash, it's the only other fighter that I have extensive enough knowledge about.

BlazBlue's primary selling point was, in fact, that each of its characters has a specific mechanic, sometimes new, sometimes old. For some characters, this claim fell flat, but for others, it yielded interesting results. Rachel's Silpheed is an excellent example. Silpheed causes the wind to blow, and this moves most sprites on the screen roughly in the direction specified, and it affects airborne sprites more than grounded ones. Naturally, this affords Rachel an unprecedented level of mobility, as she can blow herself to any part of the screen practically at will. Not only that, but it allows a great deal of emergent uses, such as blowing opponents back into combos, and creating opportunities to continue mix-up strings that otherwise would be over.

Rachel also has a great deal of options available to her in the realm of mix-ups, which you like to call "creative methodologies." Some of this has to do with Silpheed, but some of it also has to do with inherent strengths of the character, and with the combination of gatling cancels and move class options that she has.

A word on mix-ups. In Smash, there are three move classes: air, ground and special. The functions of these classes makes them more or less useful in certain situations. BB has move classes as well, but this relates more to states: air, standing and crouching, and the relationships between those states (yielding a more than three classes, I might add). The balance of Smash's move classes means that any aerial can be mixed up in place of another aerial. This doesn't make the ability to use any of those aerials as mix-ups unique, it just changes the way you compartmentalize mix-ups. My opponent can use any of his aerials in the same situation he'd use another aerial. If you're not thinking about that option, then you probably should be. When you look at "creative methodologies" in this light, it becomes another form of mix-up that you have to be mindful of.

Now, due to her wide range of options, and strong combo game to boot, Rachel is considered to be the best character in the game. Compare her to Iron Tager, who has at least one unwinnable match-up against V-13. Actually, Tager's lack of options against several top characters leads people to place him in his own tier. Literally, the tier is called T tier. He's that bad. One could argue that the uniqueness of the characters is partially to blame, but the argument would be as flimsy as your argument that "character uniqueness" is to blame for the imbalance in Brawl's roster.

There are other character-specific abilities that are quite unique. Taokaka's drive allows her any number of mix-ups both by intentionally whiffing, or even upon hitting. Bang Shishigami has a series of specials that create opportunities for sudden changes in his movement, and he even has a bair, essentially. Tager has a 10 frame overhead.

BlazBlue also has a special meter. This is not unusual for most 2D fighters to have, but I'm bringing it up, because it actually has some qualities similar to percent in Smash. Now, while the formula for percent gain in Smash is not quite the same as in other fighters, there is one similarity: in traditional fighters, as your special meter goes up, so does your ability to deal significant damage, while in Smash, as your opponent's percent goes up, so does your ability to KO. Sure, the ability to deal significant damage doesn't relate directly to the ability to KO your opponent, but if you think about taking off a third of someone's health gauge as conceptually similar to taking off a stock, there's actually a fair semblance. You could easily just assert that they're technically not the same thing, and you'd be right, but that would just display an inability to think laterally on the topic.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
>Unique stages

Yes, Smash has unique stages. Different layouts. Different hazards. Different setups, gimmicks, and other various assorted interesting applications/effects of unique stages, all which change. And yes, this is unique to Smash. You get a point. This is true. I cannot refute it. It is correct.
And yet, you, proclaiming that smash is a COMPETITIVE game, playing COMPETITIVE smash, COMPETITIVELY, while COMPETING with other people...have you ever realized that these unique stages are NOT COMPETITIVE?

Mindblowing, huh?

Perhaps you don't realize that what these stages do is that they provide an intrinsic UNBALANCE in the game? What a unique stage does is it sets up for a certain character, with certain traits, who can use them for an instant and unfair advantage over what otherwise would be a fair fight. In an even 50/50 matchup, if you choose a stage advantageous for you, it's suddenly skewed. You are given an unfair and instant advantage, with no skill or other outside factor involved, aside from knowing what stage to choose. And oh, it's not all happy-go-lucky utopia-like in that one character has one good stage, and you can simply just ban it. No, because simply put, several characters have several incredibly good stages, while some characters have none. What are you going to do if my otherwise-decent character has all of one advantageous CP stage, which you cross off, and your pretty-good character has seven, and I can only ban one? Competitive, no? Frankly put, anything which introduces an intrinsically unbalancing aspect into the game cannot be considered competitive, simply because there is no standard unbiased basis by which you can judge skill.

But of course, let me also point out another thing you might not have noticed in this system of "unique stages". I'm not even going to point out how over half the roster is flat-out banned and unplayable at competitive tournaments. I'm just going to point out that outside of the neutral stages, which, I might point out, makes smash little different than a traditional 2D fighter, since these are just flat low-interference stages with pretty colors, cps are less about fighting the opponent, and more about fighting the STAGE. Yes, you're fighting the stage, simply because you have to keep a large amount of factors in mind. Namely, stage hazards. Yes, perhaps, Norfair gives ganon an edge by boosting his otherwise terrible recovery, but it also provides extra factors that the opponent (and you) have to worry about. Yes, you can use them to your advantage, such as using the lava to help recover at low percents, but honestly, it's a terrible nuisance to have to worry about that lava EVERY SINGLE TIME you recover, especially since the MAJORITY of situations means that that lava is not advantageous to you, but rather a danger. But Norfair isn't the best example, let me point out a far more infamous one...Rainbow Cruise. Rainbow Cruise is hands down the perfect example of "fighting the stage". But Ark, I hear you say, Rainbow Cruise isn't that bad if you learn it! You can set up traps! Situate the opponent! Use it to your advantage!. Bur Verm, I reply, do you realize that you need to be in a situation where you have the advantage, you have the setup, you have the location, and you have the knowledge in order to pull these off? Do you realize that in the vast majority of fights, you are missing one or more, and thus can't use the "uniqueness" of the stage to your advantage?

Do you realize that all these stages do, in the long run, is merely provide irritating and annoying hazards which YOU have to take effort to work around, while rarely, if ever, providing you with an actual advantage? Simply put, these stages give the promise and glittery appearance of uniqueness, and nothing more.

Oh, and might I point out something else: if these stages are so good, what happened to them at high-level competitive smash? Why don't I see M2K using cps to effectively beat his opponent? Why don't I see Ally using stage-specific strategies and resources to win?

Honestly, if you have to study and memorize a stage specifically in order to be on equal grounds with your opponent, I think that says plenty about unique stages.
Well, if you read it, then your reading comprehension skills must be in slight need of polish. My entire point was the unique stages can be advantageous and disadvantageous. Both spectrums necessitate a different way of playing. The competition lies in the ability to outplay your opponent in every way possible. You could've saved yourself a lot of time had you not engaged "pwn the n00b to look badass" and either asked if something was unclear, or just read a little closer. :U

>Unique Characters

Now honestly, I don't think you were even thinking on this one. Have you like, ever even TOUCHED another fighting game? El Fuerte and Ryu are OBVIOUSLY the same person (with some minor aesthetics changes), who have the same moves and differ in specials some. Let's not point out that El Fuerte has an incredible which way wakeup game, while lacks in other departments, while Ryu is a solid zoning character with fireballs. Let's not point out that Rachel works mostly through setting up projectiles, pressure, and traps in order to beat the opponent, whereas Tager works off using holes in the opponent's gameplay to punish, along with a large grapple-based game and a unique trait like magnetism. Let's not point out that most characters in most 2D fighters have completely different playstyles, with completely different approaches to zoning, pressure, punishment, and options.

Though to be fair, it'd be pretty hilarious to see you play Sol in the same way you'd play Bridget. Because you see, "spacing, timing and prediction" are in every single 2D fighter. Do you truly think that Smash is unique simply because you can attack from different directions? Have you ever heard of, perhaps, ground-to-air, or anti-air moves, such as a shoryuken? That's what we call "attacking from below". Or perhaps, air-to-ground. Or long-range fireballs, like hadouken. Might I mention fast, close-range moves such as jabs? Or maybe longer-ranged zoning moves such as dhalsim's hp?

But enough of that, this is simply an absurd point. You think Smash has unique characters? Yeah, it does. Most fighting games do. All fighting games do. Please, if you think this is even somewhat of a defining point, go out and play a fighting game. ANY fighting game.

"Smash is Smash primarily due to the vast uniqueness of each and every character. This makes it so a player has to adapt to not only a playstyle, but the character accompanied by it as well." - And by the way, it's pretty easy to adapt to Rachel pressure compared to Noel pressure, huh? Not totally the same thing, nope, definitely not, not at all.

Nope.
*facepalm*

I'll state this as simply as I can. Each move in Smash is not fettered by a basic model. Every move does something different and has different properties. Knockback, range, priority, trajectory, plane, hits, damage and most important, implementation. Take for instance DK's fair versus Ike's. Their uses are entirely contralateral. Add height, weight and recovery to the mix, and this creates characters that are irrefutably unique. Every fighting game to date, you can find a reasonable similarity between every character.

Insults, and an air of grandiloquent vainglory won't do you much good in a debate with me, friend. I deal with it too much.

>Counterpicks

I'm starting to get tired of replying to these silly points. Counterpicks? "Smash is probably the only fighter in the world that has such a vivid counterpick system."? Please. Whatever it is that you're taking, please stop, because I highly doubt it's legal.

Have you ever heard of "matchups"? THIS is the basis of your "vivid counterpick system". Simply put, a counterpick is using a character with a better matchup against another character. And no, contrary to your ******** claim, Smash does NOT have one of the most "vivid counterpick systems". Have you never seen a matchup chart for another game? Have you never played a game, even something relatively new and well-known, like BlazBlue, where there are big matchup differences? Do you not understand the difference between playing a Tager versus a Carl and playing a Rachel versus a Carl? Do you not understand SIMPLE FIGHTING GAME IDEAS?
You explained that other games have counterpicks systems, but you failed to tell us all how Smash's isn't as vivid, especially when there are arguably more character facets to consider?

>Range and Priority

Wat.

Man, seriously, what ARE you smoking, because I swear to god it's not good for your health. Are you telling me that Dhalsim HP has no range compared to Ryu LP? Are you telling me that my shoryuken won't beat your HP?

Like seriously. Range and priority are some of the biggest factors in EVERY SINGLE FIGHTING GAME. You know disjointed moves? Yeah, the thing that you think is "priority"? They're in EVERY SINGLE FIGHTING GAME. (Oh, and just for your information, "priority" does not actually exist in fighting games.) DPs? They're invincible. Sweeps? They hit low. Overheads? They hit high. Fireballs? They have range. Your point is that this..."range and priority" gives a unique rock-paper-scissors system for every move. Hey, man, newsflash: IT DOES THAT FOR EVERY FIGHTING GAME. They've ALWAYS been in every single fighting game.
With the amount of contorted and multiform hitboxes in Smash, this, coupled with the ability to space and such, gives rise to an increased need for precision. Smash is a precision-based game.

I'm impressed with your ability to build an ostensibly valid argument based on verbosity alone, but you've continually fallen short of proving anything other than what I've acknowledged already: that fighters had what Smash has, only, Smash added to these archetypes. Your ability to cite other fighting games doesn't lend credence, contrary to what you may believe.

>Survival and Recovery

And here we FINALLY start getting into something somewhat unique to Smash. (It only took you 4 stupid reasons before you came to this). Smash is an arena game, a "versus platformer", if you will. Smash's offstage game is what makes it so unique, so different, so SMASH. But, you know, like, why didn't you point this out earlier. Why is one of the MAJOR SELLING POINTS, one of the FEW EXTREMELY UNIQUE PROPERTIES of smash, not something you point out before something like "hurr durr durrrrrr smash has a vivid counterpick system hurr durr yup". Legit point. Moving on.
Haha. :p

Free-roam is legit, lol creative methodologies, DI is legit, etc. Moving on because I honestly do not care anymore. I will address the last point.
Creative methodology. The ability to implement otherwise peculiar moves in an unconventional context. Being able to fuddle your opponent. The unique way in which each character attacks allows for this, as it takes the basis of rock-paper-scissors, but ups the stakes to having to decide on a subset of these vectors. "Will I dodge this fair, or punish the possible bair. Maybe I should jump and dair cancel due to the possibility of an approach." E.g. moves are not bound to their inherent assignments.

>Tier Lists.

Lol. Loooooooooooool. "Negligible as hell". MvC2 would like to have a word with you, drag you out back, beat the living **** out of you, and then dump you in the trash can. You've never seen an entire community get hyped up and get into 10000+ debates? You've obviously never played Blazblue. Unique imbalance? Yeah, I'd say metaknight's a pretty "uniquely imbalanced" character. I'd also say that he serves all of no purpose in furthering your claim that smash is "competitive".

GGs. Just, ggs. Intimate relationship? Smash tier lists? It's almost like the difference between Sagat and Claw is nil. It's almost like I can beat Nu-13 with Tager without much effort. It's almost like TIER LISTS DON'T MATTER IN MVC2.
You're right. I misspoke a little on the negligible bit. As for the intimate relationships between characters, if there are more dimensions to gameplay, there are more dimensions to consider when creating a tier list. This is simple logic, yes?

But nobody reads all that. Tl;dr, am I right?

Don't worry, there's a condensed version:

Tl;dr

You are generic smash player who has never touched a competitive fighter outside of smash but thinks he knows something about it #950185091250812501925.
You are also dead wrong.
I appreciate the length of your post. It's clear you're passionate on the subject and put a lot of effort into it. But, not being stupid myself, I know how to spot fluff when I see it. The bulk of what you wrote not only touched down on subjects covered and explained (see: character uniqueness and the liken), but you failed to present a point aside from other fighters possessing unique traits akin to Smash, which I acknowledged. The only difference is your insulting and confident air might mislead others and yourself into thinking you provided a point that disproved any of my statements.

You, in a nutshell, reinforced a status quo with incendiary peanut gallery commentary. Surely I will die from these harsh words, for the cut is deep.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Each move in Smash is not fettered by a basic model.
*sigh*

Yes.

They.

Are.

It's just not the same basic model as other fighters.

Ultimately, Vermanubis, I think what you're failing to see is that just about everyone here agrees that, while you have two or three valid points, the rest of them are completely off base, and that ultimately hurts the rest of your premise.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
*sigh*

Yes.

They.

Are.

It's just not the same basic model as other fighters.
Expound a bit. I'm curious to hear of the model you have in mind. What model was each Smash character based off of. Their attacks? Their inherent traits?

Edit: In regard to your edit, I think there's been some miscommunication. I was fully aware of what I was writing, and the criticism it would receive. I think the miscommunication may rest in the ill-perceived notion that I'm saying every facet of Brawl is entirely new and original, which I am not. Rather, that I am claiming some ideas are completely new, and suggesting other aspects have simply built upon archetypes in positive ways that assimilate into the new dimensions of gameplay. I assumed my write-up was clear enough to illustrate this point, but evidently, there are a few among us who are quicker to shoot than ask questions. o_-

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Tsk tsk. You blame me of being overly verbose and not saying anything, and yet you yourself haven't said a single thing against me besides "lol you use big words you must suck".

So ph00t, I see you're in NC too. We should like, play GG or something.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Tsk tsk. You blame me of being overly verbose and not saying anything, and yet you yourself haven't said a single thing against me besides "lol you use big words you must suck".

So ph00t, I see you're in NC too. We should like, play GG or something.
Why would I say anything against you when you did nothing but enforce a notion I already acknowledged. As I said before, the only thing you did was add a callously insulting twist to it in a misguided attempt to play hero against the nubcake. I'm the one whose points are to be disproven, and when you fail to do so, what do I argue against? Some line of reasoning.

Also, verbosity doesn't equate to big words. Verbiage is what you're thinking of. I don't think I saw a single "big word" in your post, though, so don't flatter yourself. :p

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Bair: long range, low trajectory, usually a KO move.

Nair: Sex Kick, meaty, powerful, often for KOing, but can also start combos.

Dair type 1: Spike.

Dair type 2: Drill kick, sets up for combos.

Uair: Bicycle kick, or at least something involving a back flip, usually good range above, good for continuing combos.

Dtilt: Sweep attack, usually with knockback conducive to starting combos, good shield poke.

Ftilt: Basic kick, directable, good poke, knockback not particularly conducive to combos, gtfo move.

Dsmash: Hits on both sides, fast start-up, long cool-down, decent for KOing, not always for comboing.

Fsmash: Good range and knockback, usually comes out as some kind of forward arm-based motion, average start-up and cool-down.

Uspecial: Third jump properties such as height boost, fallspecial animation, often with start-up invincibility and a significant amount of disjointedness.

Now, of course there are exceptions to each rule, but to argue in that vein is to deny that the same can be true of other fighters. Not every 6a in BB is an anti-air, but many of them are, for instance.

Ark: haha, you'd probably destroy my *** in Guilty Gear. I don't actually own the game, so I'm only ever able to play it when someone else brings it to a Smash tourney, and even then I don't get to spend much time playing. I'm more fluent in BB, although I'm still pretty bad.

You should come to the Billfest in Chapel Hill this weekend, though. There's almost always some kind of 2d fighter playing somewhere.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Expound a bit. I'm curious to hear of the model you have in mind. What model was each Smash character based off of. Their attacks? Their inherent traits?

Edit: In regard to your edit, I think there's been some miscommunication. I was fully aware of what I was writing, and the criticism it would receive. I think the miscommunication may rest in the ill-perceived notion that I'm saying every facet of Brawl is entirely new and original, which I am not. Rather, that I am claiming some ideas are completely new, and suggesting other aspects have simply built upon archetypes in positive ways that assimilate into the new dimensions of gameplay. I assumed my write-up was clear enough to illustrate this point, but evidently, there are a few among us who are quicker to shoot than ask questions. o_-
On the subject of every fighter has the same model, I'm pretty sure ph00t is referring to the fact that every character has the same foundation of a moveset- AAA, tilts, Aerials, a grab, pummel, and four throws, four special attacks and a Super, and three taunts. While some characters may have been fine-tuned to use each of these commands in a unique way- Snake is the first to come to mind- by and large each respective move functions similarly to the others of its kind. Fairs are almost always situational spacing moves, bairs combo, dairs gimp, tilts reset spacing, and smashes kill.

Almost every character follows this formula, and the only real uniqueness comes from those characters' specials. Falco is only the campy spacing guy because of the way his lasers were made. Snake's traps mostly come from his grenades and c4. Link.

Is bad.

The point is, these unique aspects of characters is only reflective of the special moves they are given, and even in that respect, the only real difference between a Snake and Diddy is that a Diddy has to be more mobile to do the same thing.

I don't like typing a lot :c

EDIT: Beat to the punch.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'm not going to lie, Ph00t, I was expecting a slightly more succinct and patterned model. If we want to dig deep into semantics (especially ones as loosely-wound as your model) then we can also say all characters in every game follow a model that pressing up results in doing something involving that direction. I'm referring to a basic paradigm in which all the characters are crafted, not a convoluted, algebraic model.

Everything will have similar properties. But the properties of the result and the nature are of paramount importance.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm not going to lie, Ph00t, I was expecting a slightly more succinct and patterned model. If we want to dig deep into semantics (especially ones as loosely-wound as your model) then we can also say all characters in every game follow a model that pressing up results in doing something involving that direction. I'm referring to a basic paradigm in which all the characters are crafted, not a convoluted, algebraic model.
Well, sorry, but the "basic paradigm" does not exist for any fighter that I know anything about. Sure there are some patterns, some strong, some weak, but there is no simple model. All there is is the "convoluted algebraic" one.

These are of course, your terms. I'd use my own, but for the sake of argument, there you go.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The result of almost every F-tilt, D-tilt, AAA, and grab is to reset spacing. Usually quickly enough so that the person using the move can act on the empty space to turn it into an advantageous one before the opponent reacts.

As opposed to, say, the difference between Cross-ups and plain old Ryu's boring Aerial HK. Or most things Dhalsim has.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
My my, Verm's pulling out those big big words again. Scary, scary.

ph00t, sweeeet, it's in CH? I go to UNC so it shouldn't be hard at all for me to attend. No worries though, I don't play GG/BB competitively since I've never owned the game and none of my friends are into comp fighters. I've touched BB maybe like twice, GG like twice. I used to be good at ST but I haven't played it in years, I'm willing to bet I'll be pretty **** good in SF4 given a few hours, and I'll mm you in mb any day, anywhere, any time, any amount.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Well, sorry, but the "basic paradigm" does not exist for any fighter that I know anything about. Sure there are some patterns, some strong, some weak, but there is no simple model. All there is is the "convoluted algebraic" one.

These are of course, your terms. I'd use my own, but for the sake of argument, there you go.
There are. Smash characters follow a model in which they have basic directions in which to attack, and the mode of attack is similar, i.e. extending a limb or weapon. The same goes for most other fighters. The key lies in the nature of their attack and its affect.

This is where Smash shines.

My my, Verm's pulling out those big big words again. Scary, scary.
I'm confused. Is this a means to light my ire, or is it just a way to irritate me into forgetting that you spent all that time writing (and reveling in misbegotten vainglory) what you did just to enforce points already made? Or to forget that when you lost your thunder, you suddenly lost interest in debating? Oh, the suspense is killing me.

Mindgames.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
And as a side note, I'm pretty sure all four arguments here are full of fallacies. Lots of straw men arguments from the looks of it.
Ad hominems, ad populums, slippery slopes, well poisonings and petitio principii as well. But, would you mind pointing a few out in mine? I'm not being sarcastic. If I unintentionally made a straw man, I'd like to rectify. But to do that, I'd have to misrepresent Ph00t and Ark's arguments as a viable means of discrediting them, which I don't think I did.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
There are. Smash characters follow a model in which they have basic directions in which to attack, and the mode of attack is similar, i.e. extending a limb or weapon. The same goes for most other fighters. The key lies in the nature of their attack and its affect.

This is where Smash shines.
Then I must just be misunderstanding you, because what you're saying right there is all exactly what I'm saying, except that you're saying Smash is somehow different in some way that makes it better.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you mean by "nature" and "affect."

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'll get back to you in the morning, Ph00t. I have to leave at the moment, though I really want to reply. Good discussion, everyone. Thanks especially to you, Ph00t. You've offered a really good, argument which I think will help me improve this little essay in the future. You've been a respectful opponent and I appreciate that.

Take care, everyone. 'Til tomorrow.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero

Everything will have similar properties. But the properties of the result and the nature are of paramount importance.
You outstretch the idea from "Most moves that have the same input also function similarly" into "Moves with the same input have their focus direction set to that of the input."

Of course all fairs hit forward and all B-throws throw behind. The argument being made is more over what niche these moves fill. On a technical level, Ness and Ike use their fairs as faux spacing moves, as do most other characters. Most dairs hit the opponent either at a low angle, or meteor smash them- Most dairs function as gimping moves.

Another note is the word usage in most- not all. There are always exceptions, but by-and-large each respective move functions similarly. You do not see someone jumping at the opponent with a uair for example, because their functionality is that of a follow up.

EDIT: Why i so slow

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'll get back to you in the morning, Ph00t. I have to leave at the moment, though I really want to reply. Good discussion, everyone. Thanks especially to you, Ph00t. You've offered a really good, argument which I think will help me improve this little essay in the future. You've been a respectful opponent and I appreciate that.

Take care, everyone. 'Til tomorrow.
I'd just like to submit for your consideration that you try to leave other games out of it. That makes it less likely for people to get the impression that you're making a direct comparison, and naming one game as better than all of the others. That claim is easily the most assailable, simply because it's nothing more than a judgement call. And even if it's not what you mean, people will read that meaning if you bring other games into the equation. I think I'm beginning to understand that your goal is to assert that Smash has competitive qualities, and I think it's easier to avoid misunderstanding, and ultimately makes for a stronger argument, if you don't bring other games into it at all.

At the very least, emphasizing the similarities may be more productive than emphasizing the differences. When you do the latter, it comes off as, "Smash is just like other competitive fighting games, except it's completely different!" And that's bound to create misunderstandings. I think that's another reason your argument came off as hostile to other fighting systems, besides the fact that you openly belittled them.

On that note, don't belittle other fighters if you want to convince players of those fighters of a point. That's kind of like beating your chest in front of a silverback gorilla.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Smash is a low tier fighting game. Whether it's Brawl or Melee, it doesn't compare to other games like Tekken, Street Fighter, or even Soul Caliber.
...Because It doesn't have a big hitstun/doesn't have what makes those other games competitive? The way I see it, Smash just has different factors with a match than other fighting games. Whether It's low tier or not or better overall compared to other fighting games...That I can't answer since I don't have a good ammount of knowledge of most other competitive fighting games.

Edit: Another thing that I might add:

Smash's commentary is all just random screaming and outbursts. It's not informative about what's going on or how things are done. It's extreamly bias when it comes to well known players and new players.

Street Fighter commentary at least informs the viewer on what's going on and how it's done.
Spot on.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Alright, revised it. I realized I did unintentionally undermine some fighting games, which I rectified. I also tried to make the points more clear, as to avoid confusion.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I hear "Smash is not a fighter, it's a party game" every so often. (Mainly, actually, from Sega fans who claim Power Stone is better (which I don't understand; they're nothing alike yet they always compare them...)(nothing against Power Stone)) And they say like "Have fun button mashing". Button mashing won't win you a game of Smash, you need to actually have to know how to move around and etc.. In traditional 2-D fighters, however...

Smash Bros. pretty much created a whole new fighting genre . And any game can be just as competitive as another. It would not be suited for competitive play at all if everything (such as items and stages) was turned on, but with the ruleset, Smash is extremely competitive.

great article

Steelia

Smash Champion
To be fairly honest, I JUST might have taken this argument seriously... if every other paragraph wasn't you swearing like a sailor.

Good stuff, but keep the potty mouth down to a minimum, if having this taken "seriously" among... I suppose, those more professional?... was one objective.

Moozle

Smash Champion

Edit: Another thing that I might add:

Smash's commentary is all just random screaming and outbursts. It's not informative about what's going on or how things are done. It's extreamly bias when it comes to well known players and new players.

Street Fighter commentary at least informs the viewer on what's going on and how it's done.
I don't think this is always true. I know I've learned some things and heard some explanations during commentary. The person that comes to mind is Samurai Panda. He always explains things about Lain's ICs that I never knew when he does commentary.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't think this is always true. I know I've learned some things and heard some explanations during commentary. The person that comes to mind is Samurai Panda. He always explains things about Lain's ICs that I never knew when he does commentary.
Lain has actually said that SP can be way off base, sometimes.

Honestly, I miss the days when Wife commentated. That guy knew his stuff, and I always learned a lot from him.

rhan

Smash Hero
So that's 1 person out of how many who do commentary for smash?

lain

Smash Master
Panda is off sometimes, but a commentator can't always know what's happening, and they give their best explanation. Panda is extremely good at public relations and speaking which helps a lot

;]

also i didn't read the thread but eat a ****ing ****

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I'm still confused as to why people are arguing about commentary...it doesn't make a video game competitive by any means.

Also, telling us that Soul Cal is competitive and that Melee is not must be a complete joke, rhan.

Top Bottom