• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BRAWLOUT - Platform Fighter for PS4, Xbox One & PC - Official Thread

AngryMob

Smash Rookie

Brawlout is a platform fighter coming early 2017 to Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.

The game made its playable debut at EVO. Brawlout was really well received, so thanks to all of you who tried it out in person, and thanks for all your feedback!

I’m Bogdan from Angry Mob Games. We’d love to share development insights with you guys and hopefully deliver a much better game with your input! We’re also here to answer all of your questions or concerns.

Gameplay

Brawlout will host up to eight players in online and local battles, including ranked online tournaments, in addition to offering a single-player campaign. Each fighter will have distinct advantages, including powerful projectiles or long-range whip attacks, and can be evolved with further combo options or advanced technical moves. Fighting also builds a player’s Rage Meter, which fuels powerful special attacks.

The main gameplay mechanics were inspired by the Smash series. All characters were designed around their moves, rather than the moves being designed around a specific character’s franchise. This allowed us to clearly distinguish each character’s fighting style and make them all play quite differently.

The moves were largely inspired by traditional 2D fighting games, like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter or Tekken. This makes it feel much different from other Smash-inspired titles.

We also added extra layers of strategy to battles by including the Rage Meter and various character-specific moves.

Our combo system works a bit differently. There are extended combo chains and character specific extra inputs:

For example, A-A-A-B triggers a special attack move after a chain of quick jabs.

Or sideA-A chains a new attack move. The knockback stacks up from the first ‘sideA’, and lets you deal more of it, plus extra damage.

Brawlout’s overall gameplay is a lot more aggressive, as we took out a few mechanics like Blocking, Grabs and Edge-guarding, similar to what Rivals of Aether did.

Alpha Trailer

Here is our first public trailer, from the ALPHA version:

We got a ton of feedback on the trailer above and we agree with you. Already the current game build has much faster gameplay, and we’ll improve many things based on your feedback.

This first trailer was designed more to show a variety of character moves, rather than to showcase some advanced player battles. We’ll get to that in our next trailers. We just need to find those pro fighters first. :)

How can I play it?

If you’d like to try out the pre-release version of the game, check out this list of events, where we’ll be having a booth and showcasing the game: http://www.brawlout.com/#Home_Events

Characters

We currently have 5 characters implemented in-game. If you’d love to give us tips for tweaking their moves designs, please send us some private emails and we’ll let you in on our development secrets (we’re not announcing all characters publicly just yet, as they’re work-in-progress).

I’ll share more background info on each of the characters and update this thread with short videos with specific character moves soon!

Super Smash Con

Come by our booth at Super Smash Con this week (Aug 11-14) and try out the latest game build! We’re also holding a side tournament with some amazing prizes: https://smash.gg/tournament/brawlout-supersmashcon

artifice

Smash Ace
Really awful name, consider changing. and to boot you are actually using the exact same lettering/font as Smash Bros Brawl... its Super bad taste.

Last edited:

Xaltis

Smash Hero
I played this game at Super Smash Con and won their tournament. I can say this game is really fun! Looks great as well! Even though it's only in Alpha version right now. Once it's fully done and out it's gonna be a great game to play and have tournaments for, and I love the characters!

TandoriBraetus

Smash Rookie
I only had a chance to play a little bit of it while I was at EVO. I feel the games title could be changed to be more unique (We already have Smash Bros. BRAWL and BRAWLhalla, don't need three platform fighters with the word Brawl in it)

In terms of gameplay I don't feel I can give a solid input since the EVO build was missing ledge grabs and all forms of dodging. There was also no form of B-reversing, which I hope is added in since I'm so used to utilizing B-reverse Maypul seeds in Rivals of Aether.

Nonetheless, I really believe this game has a TON of potential and I hope to be more involved in the game during its development!

AngryMob

Smash Rookie
I only had a chance to play a little bit of it while I was at EVO. I feel the games title could be changed to be more unique (We already have Smash Bros. BRAWL and BRAWLhalla, don't need three platform fighters with the word Brawl in it)
Brawl comes from 'Brawler', which is a well known gameplay type, that's why everybody is using this word, as it's very specific and very easy to understand what to expect from such a game. If we called it 'Ledgegrab', not many players outside the fighting game community would understand what that is :)

In terms of gameplay I don't feel I can give a solid input since the EVO build was missing ledge grabs and all forms of dodging. There was also no form of B-reversing, which I hope is added in since I'm so used to utilizing B-reverse Maypul seeds in Rivals of Aether.

Nonetheless, I really believe this game has a TON of potential and I hope to be more involved in the game during its development!
Everybody at Super Smash Con and Gamescom really enjoyed the game and we got tons of great feedback.
Next week we're going to PAX West (in Seattle), so if you'll be attending, please visit us on level 6, booth #6917.
The latest build is well balanced for tournament competitive play and it's got ground and air directional dodges, plus lots more tiny tweaks. Definitely much better than the EVO build you first saw.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Please tell me they'll be alternative modes, like a "Knock-Out" Mode, Survival, team Battle, or anything!

AngryMob

Smash Rookie
Please tell me they'll be alternative modes, like a "Knock-Out" Mode, Survival, team Battle, or anything!
Sure, there will be plenty of extra game modes. Survival and Team Battle will definitely be in.
What would the 'Knock-Out' mode be like? Just use the damage as health bars?

Let me know what other game modes you find fun to play (single player/with friends on same screen/online)!

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Sure, there will be plenty of extra game modes. Survival and Team Battle will definitely be in.
What would the 'Knock-Out' mode be like? Just use the damage as health bars?

Let me know what other game modes you find fun to play (single player/with friends on same screen/online)!
Something Similar to Stamina Mode.

To know what I mean, I say look up Project M Stamina Mode and TMNT Smash Up.

AngryMob

Smash Rookie
Something Similar to Stamina Mode.

To know what I mean, I say look up Project M Stamina Mode and TMNT Smash Up.
Stamina Mode in Project M looks really cool. We'll definitely try to do something like that.
For the single player campaign, it'd always be cool to vary the game modes.
We'll just try to keep it simple, for online ranked, and add all the various modes for the 'quick play' multiplayer (like the Smash Casual mode)

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I know it's really early so far, but my first impression from the alpha trailer is:
  • The animations are wonky and don't read well
  • The gravity is floaty
  • Characters seem to have issues transitioning between states, looking overall very clunky
  • The combos shown didn't look like combos due to the wonky animations and the floaty gravity affecting the knockback

Last edited:

TandoriBraetus

Smash Rookie
Brawl comes from 'Brawler', which is a well known gameplay type, that's why everybody is using this word, as it's very specific and very easy to understand what to expect from such a game. If we called it 'Ledgegrab', not many players outside the fighting game community would understand what that is :)
When i brought up the exact same statement of mine to the guy who was running the Brawlout booth at EVO, he "STRONGLY agreed" that the name should be changed. Don't really know why he said one thing but it's the opposite on here.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I'm somewhat disappointed in the gameplay of the early access release. It doesn't seem to be much different from what was shown off in the alpha trailer. If this game wants to be popular with competitive players, it needs to be fluent and snappy. It just doesn't have the tightness it needs right now.

Some notable things that I personally would change:
  • Add Melee's initial dash animation, which allows for dashdancing
  • Add Friction, which makes ground movement feel more natural, and allows for wavedashing to actually do something
  • Make the gravity heavier
  • Reduce the lag on both ends of many moves
  • Make the rage mechanic toggleable
  • Have versions of the stages without hazards (or add stages that lack them in the first place)
  • Add the knockdown mechanic from Smash

RoboLeader

Smash Rookie
Some notable things that I personally would change:
  • Add Melee's initial dash animation, which allows for dashdancing
  • Add Friction, which makes ground movement feel more natural, and allows for wavedashing to actually do something
  • Make the gravity heavier
  • Reduce the lag on both ends of many moves
  • Make the rage mechanic toggleable
  • Have versions of the stages without hazards (or add stages that lack them in the first place)
  • Add the knockdown mechanic from Smash
Thanks for the feedback! I'm a moderator on the game's official Discord, I'll add this to the suggestions-filtered channel. As for making Rage toggleable, Rage actually got an overhaul recently due to player feedback, making it less of a win condition and more of an opportunity for a comeback. While in Rage, players take 30% less knockback and when they get hit their percentage doesn't increase, but getting hit makes Rage run out faster. Additionally there is now a "competitive mode" toggle for local and private matches that removes the damage buff from it. This mode is on by default in Ranked matchmaking.

Since it's been a while since there was a big update here:

New stages! Two stages were added for the characters Sephi'ra and King Apu respectively, and they are kind of gorgeous:

Next, there is a new swordfighter character coming soon! Can't say exactly when other than it's soon, and that there is a teaser image for them. WHO/WHAT COULD THEY BE?

Finally, the game is going to be at Super Smash Con this year with a tournament on Sunday after all the Smash pools are finished. The prize pool is $500, entry is free and you can use either GameCube, Xbox 360/One or Dualshock 4 controllers. I'll be there helping out and running the live stream for the tournament, so drop by and say hi :D

Last edited:

RoboLeader

Smash Rookie

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
New guest character coming soon! WHO COULD IT B- ok, maybe it's a bit more obvious than the Drifter teaser.

https://twitter.com/brawloutgame/status/920338396538658816
Yeah, pretty obvious (betting on either Juan or Tostada from Guacamelee!)

Sooooo looking forward to this game (I'm getting the Switch version)

And on another note: if you're getting the Switch version and are a GameCube controller fan, the recently released 4.0 system update added support for the Wii U's GameCube controller adapter.

Last edited:

RoboLeader

Smash Rookie
And on another note: if you're getting the Switch version and are a GameCube controller fan, the recently released 4.0 system update added support for the Wii U's GameCube controller adapter.
YEEEEEEEEP. Super hype about that too!

RoboLeader

Smash Rookie
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017...hting-games-mixed-movement-platform-brawlers/

Angry Mob Games does another interview, this time with EventHubs.
If you also consider our UK and US community managers, they are way better than us. We held a "beat a dev" contest at Super Smash Con, and only one person was able to beat our US community guy, Craig (RoboLeader).

And that was only when he played teams, with me on his team… they're really good.
Me in every tournament now:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
While we still don't have an exact release date for the Switch version, we now have a better idea when

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
double post but worth it

DECEMBER 19 (all regions)

Special Guest Juan from Guacamelee!

$19.99

HYPE GET!

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Really enjoying this game so far. I really like the mechanic changes compared to Smash makes it stand out a bit and actually rather satisfying.

Looking forward to the updates.

Top Bottom