• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlEx on ISOs: Current progress

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Recently i got interested in getting Brawl Minus 4.2 into a DVD, but sadly BrawlEx only tries to load from a SD Card, thus making ISO building with it impossible.

So i have tried a few ways of getting it to work and i will continue updating this post with my findings.

Configuring each slot in the bx_fighter.rel
Notes: Confirmed to work as long as you can
find the proper values to set up, and perhaps set
up some written-up table for every Fighter ID.

Manually configuring the slots via RAM edits
Notes: While fairly easy, it isn't very
user friendly. I still need to know
a formula to get to each slot.

Making BrawlEx read from DVD
Notes: Even though PW already tried this and failed,
that doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible.

A config loader rewrite should fix this, but i'm not
good enough at ASM to make it happen.

Using Dantarion's Clone Engine
Notes: Has not been tested, but the codes look
unfinished anyways, and even if they worked i
doubt they are compatible with the extra ExSlots.

Using BrawlEx 1.1.3.1
Notes: Despite working fine on Dolphin, all that happens
on real console is a black screen, or rarely a strap screen crash.
I do have reports of it working with Riivolution, so maybe the
ISO builder is not doing stuff correctly.

That's all i got for now, if you have a formula on how to get to each character slot offset, please let me know.

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Okay i have had a minor advancement in getting BrawlEx to work in DVD loading: Mario clones don't need any setup at all and can be used without any BrawlEx config files. I'm going to eventually upload an example patch to be loaded into an ISO with BrawlBuilder, but for now you can just create a folder like this: "fitfighterXXex" (XX is ex-slot) and inside that: "FitFighterXXEx.pac" of course including any extra files like those ending in "Entry" "MotionEtc" and others.

I need someone with more knowledge lend me a hand, i don't know if .rel files can be edited in a hex editor or if they absolutely need the Module Editor (which IMO would be too inconvenient due to the lack of editing features Module Editor has)

Nor do i have any idea of the specifics of fighter definitions, it's a real shame because if PhantomWings or Dantarion were still around i could have already made a working solution. The OpenSA wiki isn't really helping much either.

So far i have only found where and in which format are the cosmetic settings located, and the IC-Constants. They are the only things i know how to edit yet i'm sure they aren't enough to make clones of say, Bowser.

TL;DR: If anyone has any information about what all the fighter flags do and how necessary they are, please help me.

ThoseUpAirsThough

Smash Apprentice
1. What's the point of this? Most people playing LXP on Dolphin or some other build will just use a vBrawl ISO and a sd.raw.
2. Yes, you can edit fighter rel files using a hex editor, like HxD.
3. I believe the Project M BrawlEX guide page should have some info on what's in a fighter rel and which bytes mean what.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
1. What's the point of this? Most people playing LXP on Dolphin or some other build will just use a vBrawl ISO and a sd.raw.
2. Yes, you can edit fighter rel files using a hex editor, like HxD.
3. I believe the Project M BrawlEX guide page should have some info on what's in a fighter rel and which bytes mean what.
It's not for Dolphin, but instead real console USB loading. It's pretty garbage to have to plug your SD card into your PC to change a few files to play a different mod. Wouldn't it be MUCH easier to just keep all mods in different ISOs and just switch between them in USB Loader GX? Also, a Brawl Minus DVD is unneccesary but just so cool.

I know you can edit fighter rel files using a hex editor, but i'm talking about the bx_fighter.rel file itself, not something like ft_mario.rel.

That does help a little bit, but in bx_fighter.rel, they are ordered extremely differently and the properties themselves have different lengths vs. the fighter config.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Oh good, someone IS working on this...
I could never get Brawl Minus to work via SD loading, something always went wrong, so finally being able to make an iso of it would be great.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Good news, editing the bx_fighter.rel file does work for custom fighters, using HxD i managed to change Slot 3F path names and in-game fighter names, so there's not some file integrity check buried in it.

That doesn't mean we can already build a BMinus iso, though. Each and every fighter flag has yet to be documented for easy access, which can take some time for an extremely unexperienced """"hacker"""" like me. Anyone who is an ace at Brawl modding can help with this, just posting your finds (Like the length of the cosmetic data for each fighter slot) helps tremendously to get closer to the goal.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
ive just been putting EX chars in the lxp iso builder by using mkdirs but it seems thre is a filesize limit.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
ive just been putting EX chars in the lxp iso builder by using mkdirs but it seems thre is a filesize limit.
If your ISO is larger than 7GB you may start running into issues (Which i suspect must be the case with such a massive mod) If the ISO Builder does not support dual layering then the limit is around 4.3GB.

EDIT: Hold up, there's a Legacy XP ISO builder?!

Last edited:

Szion

Smash Journeyman
If your ISO is larger than 7GB you may start running into issues (Which i suspect must be the case with such a massive mod) If the ISO Builder does not support dual layering then the limit is around 4.3GB.

EDIT: Hold up, there's a Legacy XP ISO builder?!
Long ago, in 2016 they used one to put alot of content on there instead of their already 5gb sd card.
the iso builder Axes subspace, and comes down to about <5gb after i add 10 or so, cobalt legacy characters. 600mb of music, and 1 of 4 stage versions, default usually, per stage. so, if its under 5gb, and nowhere near 7, and the og iso is 7.9, i doubt thats the issue

Top Bottom