• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlEx continuous loading after Stage Select

acetrainerkyle64

Smash Rookie
I've got my first clone up and running but Every time I try to start up a match the game just loads forever and the match doesn't start. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong exactly.

I'm using the latest version of BrawlEx
All my modules are up to date
I am using module editor when I do edit them
The clone I'm making is a simple sonic clone
He shows up on the menu just fine but when I try to start a match with him it won't load.
He is registered as 3F like most tutorials tell you to do.
any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Please do a rundown of all the steps you have done to clone Sonic, because there are many causes for this problem, and a great way to narrow that down is to tell me whatever you did to add that clone.

NOTE: If you added this character via the BrawlEx Clone Tool, please don't as it's currently outdated and won't work correctly with BrawlEx 2.0.0.0 (It doesn't output the correct files)

acetrainerkyle64

Smash Rookie
Okay! the steps I took were fairly simple.
I downloaded brawlEx
I reinstalled it completely onto my SD card in the Private/wii/app/rsbe/pf
In my brawl ex folder I have all the config folders
CosmeticConfig
CSSSlotconfig
FighterConfig
SlotConfig
I made the Code in code manager for my game. I used the default code, adding 3F right before the random ID Code
I also used the code found in the brawlex .txt file. and put the RSBE01 code in the code folder.

I took out all of sonics Config template files. I changed them to 3F
Cosmetic3F.dat
CSSSlot3F.dat
Fighter3F.dat
Slot3F.dat

I used the Config utility tool to edit the Fighter.dat and changed the character name to sonicex
I also turned off kirby hats for him.

I placed the files in their respective folders in the brawlex folder.

I got his modulator from the brawl ex folder and used the modulator editor tool to change the id in section 8 to 3F I also changed his id to 91 in the top right section of the tool the video I was following told me to. and the name of his module to
ft_sonicex.rel
I made a fighter folder for him in the Private/wii/app/rsbe/pf/fighter folder. Called sonicex
I used the NTSC-U partition 2 to obtain all of the files I needed for sonic. I placed them in the sonicex folder. I double checked what files I needed with the config utility tool and made sure that they were all there. I used a mod that edited the textures of sonic and replaced them. Just his regular first 5 .pac and .pcs files. All the files are named sonicex then there regular file extensions. I have his .fake pcs and pac his .spy pcs and pac and his dark pcs and pac

I launch the game with riivolution (I can't get gecko os to work.) and he shows his Icon as sonic right before random. I pick him another character and choose a stage. The stage loads forever and the match never starts.

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Good! You know exactly what to do, but did you name the files the same way they are seen in the Config Tool? I know you did, but remember it's case sensitive and if they are different (eg: the Config Tool says fighter/SONICEX/FitSonicEx.pac but you named it fighter/sonicex/fitsonicex.pac) the game will not be able to find them.

That video is VERY outdated and was made for an older version of BrawlEx (1.1.0.0 i think) also, for me the Config Utility never works, it 100% of the time crashes my game so i just do everything the ol' hex editing way.
If you downloaded your stuff from that video, then redownload everything from the official thread: here's a link
If you still can't get this to work after that, then tell me and i will make you a short tutorial with the exact way i do stuff with BrawlEx.

Also, you can't get Gecko OS to work? Once we finish with this i will help you fix that, because Riivo sometimes has trouble with codes.

acetrainerkyle64

Smash Rookie
yes! for some reason if I don't make sure that absolutely everything is lowercase it doesn't work. So I made sure every file involving sonicex is spelled and written exactly that way.
Also I didn't use any of the things in the video for my download. I followed the video but downloaded the most recent version of everything. I'm using brawlex clone engine 2.0.0.0

the only time the issuing I'm having is addressed in the kitty forum says that my modules are out of date. :/ which makes no sense. Because I literally got them from the latest version of brawlex.

acetrainerkyle64

Smash Rookie
Okay good news. Gecko does work! But I'm still having the same freezing after choosing characters issue :/

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to tell you how i add my clones:

You will need a hex editor, here's the one i use: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Step 1: Copy all config files of the fighter you will be cloning, and duplicate them, give the duplicate files the 3F id (or 40 or 41 or 42 and so on if you got another exfighter using those ids) and give the original unmodified files the same id as their original fighter, this is so the original fighter can still work correctly.

Step 2: Open Fighter3F.dat in a hex editor, change "sonic/FitSonic.pac" to "sonicex/FitSonicEx.pac" DO NOT CHANGE THE KIRBY HAT STRING TO AVOID ISSUES. Change "SONIC" to "SONICEX", and "ft_sonic.rel" to "ft_sonicex.rel" save this file.
NOTE: Without quotes of course

Step 3: Copy ft_sonic BX 1.1.rel from the BrawlEx/ExModules folder to the private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/modules directory, and rename it to ft_sonicex.rel, open it in Module Editor and edit the module id to 8F, 90, 91, 92 and so on depending of which module ids have you used up. Edit the first value in Section[8] BUT DO NOT DELETE ANY ZEROS, instead go to the end of that first value (should be 2F or 2E for Sonic) and change that to 3F or whatever id did you assign to your clone fighter.

Step 4: Make sure you have the appropiate fighter files in pf/fighter/sonicex (but judging by what you have already done, this step shouldn't be a problem) and add the fighter id to the CSS using your favorite method (either spunit262's custom CSS code or BrawlEx CSS expansion)

Step 5: Test your new clone!

I will come back in around 4 hours because right now i got to go.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to tell you how i add my clones:

You will need a hex editor, here's the one i use: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Step 1: Copy all config files of the fighter you will be cloning, and duplicate them, give the duplicate files the 3F id (or 40 or 41 or 42 and so on if you got another exfighter using those ids) and give the original unmodified files the same id as their original fighter, this is so the original fighter can still work correctly.

Step 2: Open Fighter3F.dat in a hex editor, change "sonic/FitSonic.pac" to "sonicex/FitSonicEx.pac" DO NOT CHANGE THE KIRBY HAT STRING TO AVOID ISSUES. Change "SONIC" to "SONICEX", and "ft_sonic.rel" to "ft_sonicex.rel" save this file.
NOTE: Without quotes of course

Step 3: Copy ft_sonic BX 1.1.rel from the BrawlEx/ExModules folder to the private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/modules directory, and rename it to ft_sonicex.rel, open it in Module Editor and edit the module id to 8F, 90, 91, 92 and so on depending of which module ids have you used up. Edit the first value in Section[8] BUT DO NOT DELETE ANY ZEROS, instead go to the end of that first value (should be 2F or 2E for Sonic) and change that to 3F or whatever id did you assign to your clone fighter.

Step 4: Make sure you have the appropiate fighter files in pf/fighter/sonicex (but judging by what you have already done, this step shouldn't be a problem) and add the fighter id to the CSS using your favorite method (either spunit262's custom CSS code or BrawlEx CSS expansion)

Step 5: Test your new clone!

I will come back in around 4 hours because right now i got to go.

acetrainerkyle64

Smash Rookie
So I've got it working and I used your method on my second clone. The first one actually works now. but for some reason the clone I made with your method comes out as mario. When it's a clone of lucario. It only comes out as mario when you start a match not in the Css.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Glad i was of help.

Althrough that's weird, that you had to create another clone so the first one works.

Last edited:

acetrainerkyle64

Smash Rookie
They all work now. The first clone I made I had his figher file named wrong, the second clone I made worked well with your method I just gave him a fighter id that didn't work.

Now I get to move on to the lovely world of cosmetics. and that's going to drive me crazy :D

Top Bottom