• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawler Mains at Tipped Off?

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
Curious on what the attendance will be, as 1111/2222/3333 Miis are allowed.
I might also be interested in doing a double Mii team should there be another Mii player that has results.

T0MMY

Smash Master
1111/2222/3333 rules are ridiculously arbitrary.
The wretch of a TO should be thrown into a dungeon and bludgeoned for all eternity for such an atrocity.
#FreeMii

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
1111/2222/3333 rules are ridiculously arbitrary.
The wretch of a TO should be thrown into a dungeon and bludgeoned for all eternity for such an atrocity.
#FreeMii
Not my point of discussion for this thread. We have enough of that elsewhere.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Sorry, I won't be attending. I almost certainly wouldn't have to begin with, but the Mii rulings make it an definite 'no.'

Not that I'm some kind of tournament ace or whatever, but...

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
I don't get the animosity. This is the most lenient Mii ruling thus far aside from Evo.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, your terms for this thread have laid it out such that it is my understanding you don't want to hear responses on that point. Respecting this wish, I will not reply to that point here.

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
Unfortunately, your terms for this thread have laid it out such that it is my understanding you don't want to hear responses on that point. Respecting this wish, I will not reply to that point here.
Whatever, let's discuss it. It's fairly apparent the regulars here aren't going (I think @ Auramaniji Auramaniji might be, but I don't know his tournament background.)

I get that it's not everything that we want, but lashing out at compromise for our sake is wrong imo.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
The problem is it's not much of a compromise of any real value. apex ran the same 1111/2222/3333 rules and the character saw very little use because of it.

Evo allowed the popular presets and because the character has been to date restricted in nearly every other venue... the character saw very little use.

1111/2222/3333 does nothing to help us. It is not good enough. It's honestly not even progress. It's a step BACK to the apex rules, and those were not good.

I would sooner accept Guest Size, Free Move Selection than I would 1111/2222/3333.

2222 I will admit is almost okay for Brawler. Actually, for MOST Brawler players I suspect it's fine. I'm one of those in the minority that prefers Piston Punch over Helicopter Kick though, so 2222 ends up being kind of a miss for me; the up-B choice is Brawler's most important one.

1111 is obviously garbage, we've seen this. 3333 likewise.

I will grudgingly admit 2222 is probably playable for most Brawlers. I however do not enjoy it (the up-B thing is that big a deal to me) and thus have no real interest in it.

2222 on Swordfighter is okay but suffers from a terrible side-B. I might actually be willing to play 2222 Swordfighter. 3333 though, no way. He loses some of my favorite tools.

Gunner 2222 is almost as bad as 1111 Brawler. Almost. Gunner 3333 combines okay projectiles with questionable down-B selection and a bad recovery choice.

Most of these options simply are not fun to play (for me, at least), so I consider them a compromise of little value. I concede mainstream Brawler mains might actually be fine with 2222 since they prefer Helicopter Kick anyway and are willing to 'live with' Burning Dropkick even though Onslaught is generally seen as better.

We've had a few smaller-scale event TOs offer to run Guest Size Free Move Selection, and I've thanked them for that; that I'm willing to play. It messes up some of our combos, but I find free move selection to be more important on the Miis and certainly more fun.

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
I thought that Apex had that but changed the rule later on.
(Also Burning Dropkick is the best side special anyway)

I run 2222 25/0, so it's not that big of a deal to me as it is to others, I guess.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
That's interesting. Why do you feel Dropkick is the best? Everyone I speak with prefers Onslaught for its use as a roll-chasing kill move. I like Dropkick for recovery, but they insist it doesn't go far enough to be useful for this?

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
You whiff a Burning Drop Kick, you get punished. You whiff an Onslaught, you die. Combine that with how easy it is to fall out of Onslaught and you get killed by using the move more than you actually kill with it. I prefer Burning Drop Kick since its reliable and safer, and still covers a lot of what Onslaught does while working as a better recovery.
(Also I hit ZeRo with it therefore broken)

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Interesting stuff. What do you generally use Burning Dropkick for? Others have said it's not useful for recovery, but I can't imagine why they feel this way.

Ian Viola

Smash Cadet
NNID
whyudodat
3DS FC
1332-7715-2240
I generally use it as an extension of feint jump, either using it as the other has been used or to conserve it. It allows you to mix up landings better.
It can still punish rolls, and the charge effect can end up letting you catch some people offguard.
(That and misinput-ing it for neutral and up special generally will cause a semi-safe shield poke lol)

T0MMY

Smash Master
I run with Burning Dropkick as well.
I sued to use Onslaught until my brother used the "Burning D" as he called it and I decided it was the stronger option (recovery purposes mostly). After the latest patch the Onslaught got more powerful, but I still see it as a choice between having that KO option sometimes or a recovery option and my personal choice comes to the off-stage recovery option.

Top Bottom