• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl vs 64

Brawl or 64?

• Brawl

Votes: 6 23.1%

Votes: 20 76.9%

• Total voters

GigaPaul

Smash Rookie
NNID
Paul_SSJGod
3DS FC
5327-1884-5377
What do you think is better as a competitive game? Brawl or the original one?

ZanderIC

Smash Rookie
64 by a mile. It 10 times more balanced, that being said you can be successful with any character and not just meta knight.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
No offense to 64 but I do question why the game isn't flooded with Pikachus.

I remember 64 players back in the day said pika doesn't lose to anyone nor goes even if any of them all, so I do question why he does not get the MK treatment?

ZanderIC

Smash Rookie

I remember 64 players back in the day said pika doesn't lose to anyone nor goes even if any of them all, so I do question why he does not get the MK treatment?
Well pikachu has recovery and projectiles and that's about it. Compared to other characters his combos aren't as good. Obviously he still has combos because that is what 64 is all about considering that there isn't as much tech skill in the game. I don't see a lot of pikas tbh. I don't play the game but I'm familiar with it from watching tourneys. Metaknight has it all. Speed, movement, recovery, punish game, combos and etc. I don't play brawl ether and again I'm sorta familiar with it but I definitely know for a fact meta knight deserves it.

NextPain

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nextpain
Competitively 64 is better because footsies and combo-ing is more important in 64 which is essential in fighting games although I like brawl better because of the bigger roster

Lunchmanalchemist

Smash Cadet
64 is VERY suspenseful too. A single combo and you are DEAD. It's also the most balanced smash game. You can wreck with every character. Even Project M can't say that(Bowser). Just look at Isai, the king of Smash 64.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
64 has better balanced and stuff. Brawl has much much much better variety. There isn't a character in 64 that puts huge emphasis on execution. In brawl, there is ice climbers, snake, diddy Kong, oilmar, ZSS, and some
Others, though they're not viable. 64 has better competitive edge, while brawl has a more "loveable" quality to it imo.

Lunchmanalchemist

Smash Cadet
64 has better balanced and stuff. Brawl has much much much better variety. There isn't a character in 64 that puts huge emphasis on execution. In brawl, there is ice climbers, snake, diddy Kong, oilmar, ZSS, and some
Others, though they're not viable. 64 has better competitive edge, while brawl has a more "loveable" quality to it imo.
-_- Have you played 64? I mean, sure it's not Melee level of technical difficulty, but it's much higher than Brawl. There's some easy characters here and there(Kirby), but Brawl is chock full of them. I know there's some very technical characters in Brawl, but saying 64 has no tech skill is a stretch.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
64 is VERY suspenseful too. A single combo and you are DEAD. It's also the most balanced smash game. You can wreck with every character. Even Project M can't say that(Bowser). Just look at Isai, the king of Smash 64.
Hi. I've been playing Smash 64 competitively for 7 years and I wish to tell you, and anyone who happens to read this post, why the bolded is simply untrue. It's very frustrating for us as a community to see people go on about things like this because it deters people from wanting to join. I have a friend who used to play with me and he always would complain about the hitstun. He would constantly say "I wish this game was like melee!!" Now, how would you feel if somebody made false assumptions about your game you play? I know a lot of people who are willing to say "Brawl is slow and campy!" but I'm pretty sure there are people out there who will defend it's type of play because they find enjoyment out of it.

Anyways, small point being here that most top level players have good enough DI to escape combos, therefore, it's not just 0 to death. Most top level matches you see are players who go for the most optimal (barring a few example) combos that aren't as easily escapable by DI or plausibly guaranteed. This game can be a bit heavy on the neutral, but there is opportunity after it. This is also factored in by human error and that we are not machines, so that's another reason why the bolded is untrue.

Because you can still win with other characters. A good link can beat a bad pika. A good pika has higher chance to beat a good link. A bad link will get dominated by a good pika. Make sense? There is an advantage towards the pika but that doesn't mean that you can't try at all and expect to overcome someone who understands the matchup or is simply better with their character. Pikachu is not a guaranteed trump by any means, but I will say that it's much easier to excel in tournaments as Pika/Kirby compared to Luigi/Link. There's just small factors that involve a higher chance of success, but that does not mean that you are completely screwed if you're facing a Pika.

Last edited:

Lunchmanalchemist

Smash Cadet
Hi. I've been playing Smash 64 competitively for 7 years and I wish to tell you, and anyone who happens to read this post, why the bolded is simply untrue. It's very frustrating for us as a community to see people go on about things like this because it deters people from wanting to join. I have a friend who used to play with me and he always would complain about the hitstun. He would constantly say "I wish this game was like melee!!" Now, how would you feel if somebody made false assumptions about your game you play? I know a lot of people who are willing to say "Brawl is slow and campy!" but I'm pretty sure there are people out there who will defend it's type of play because they find enjoyment out of it.

Anyways, small point being here that most top level players have good enough DI to escape combos, therefore, it's not just 0 to death. Most top level matches you see are players who go for the most optimal (barring a few example) combos that aren't as easily escapable by DI or plausibly guaranteed. This game can be a bit heavy on the neutral, but there is opportunity after it. This is also factored in by human error and that we are not machines, so that's another reason why the bolded is untrue.

Because you can still win with other characters. A good link can beat a bad pika. A good pika has higher chance to beat a good link. A bad link will get dominated by a good pika. Make sense? There is an advantage towards the pika but that doesn't mean that you can't try at all and expect to overcome someone who understands the matchup or is simply better with their character. Pikachu is not a guaranteed trump by any means, but I will say that it's much easier to excel in tournaments as Pika/Kirby compared to Luigi/Link. There's just small factors that involve a higher chance of success, but that does not mean that you are completely screwed if you're facing a Pika.
Well yeah I was kinda exaggerating. Sorry. Zero to deaths are still way more common in 64 though compared to Brawl or Smash 4.

Link got worse because of Hyrule being banned, so I doubt even the best Link could beat a decent Pikachu. Even Isai put him at second worst in the game(DK at worst).

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
-_- Have you played 64? I mean, sure it's not Melee level of technical difficulty, but it's much higher than Brawl. There's some easy characters here and there(Kirby), but Brawl is chock full of them. I know there's some very technical characters in Brawl, but saying 64 has no tech skill is a stretch.
Remove your emotional attachment from your post, because never have I said there was no tech skill in 64, of course there is, just like in any action game ever created. I just said brawl adds characters that puts more emphasis on such a factor. There's no character in 64 that's puts a huge emphasis on execution like ice climbers, or diddy Kong with their infinities and banana lock setups. Snake has a lot of freedom with different ways he can set up traps and stuff. Most of the characters in brawl who places emphasis on execution are characters who are vastly different from other character and sports a wide variety of options. Characters in 64 are for the most part, homogenous with one another. Sure, DJCs are specific to yoshi and ness, fox has his shine stuff, DK his grabs, link his bombs and arrows, and jiggly puff her teleport. But, outside of that, they have extremely similar traits and their averts execution requirement isn't that high outside of perfect 0-death combos or high damage combos.

Lunchmanalchemist

Smash Cadet
Remove your emotional attachment from your post, because never have I said there was no tech skill in 64, of course there is, just like in any action game ever created. I just said brawl adds characters that puts more emphasis on such a factor. There's no character in 64 that's puts a huge emphasis on execution like ice climbers, or diddy Kong with their infinities and banana lock setups. Snake has a lot of freedom with different ways he can set up traps and stuff. Most of the characters in brawl who places emphasis on execution are characters who are vastly different from other character and sports a wide variety of options. Characters in 64 are for the most part, homogenous with one another. Sure, DJCs are specific to yoshi and ness, fox has his shine stuff, DK his grabs, link his bombs and arrows, and jiggly puff her teleport. But, outside of that, they have extremely similar traits and their averts execution requirement isn't that high outside of perfect 0-death combos or high damage combos.
-_- "-execution requirement isn't that high outside of PERFECT 0-DEATH COMBOS"- Baby Sneak 2015. Flawless logic. You're telling me to remove my "emotional attachment" when your bias against 64 is extremely obvious? Pfft! Shines? DJCs? That's easy(sarcasm)! The only character in Brawl who is technically demanding would Ice Climbers! That one of out of the 40 characters Brawl has! 64 has 12 characters and was made in the Stone Age yet is still more popular and more deep than Brawl! Shines? All you need to do is jump and IMMEDIATELY push down on the control stick and press b. DJCs? Only requires like 10 button presses per second(sarcasm)! Please play 64 before making stupid assumptions.

Top Bottom