• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Tier Lists

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Seeing how Brawl is kind of mostly dead I figured it would be fun to see what everyone's tier opinions for the game are.
Here are the little icon things :mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2::dk2::diddy::yoshi2::wario::link2::zelda::sheik::ganondorf::toonlink::samus2::zerosuitsamus::pit::popo::rob::kirby2::metaknight::dedede::olimar::fox::falco::wolf::falcon::pikachu2::jigglypuff::pt::lucario::marth::ike::ness2::lucas::gw::snake::sonic:
Here's my tier:

SS :metaknight::diddy:
S :popo::falco::olimar::marth::snake::wario:
A :pikachu2::lucario::dedede::toonlink:
B (:zerosuitsamus::gw:)
C :pit:(:luigi2::fox:):peach::rob::dk2::kirby2:(:sonic::sheik:)
D :yoshi2:(:lucas::ike::ness2:):wolf:
E:pt::mario2::zelda:
F :samus2::bowser2::falcon::link2:
G :jigglypuff::ganondorf:

SS and S are Top tier
A and B are High tier
C and D are Mid tier
E and F are Low tier
G is Bottom tier
Characters in brackets are tied

Feel free to share your own tiers

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
SSS: :metaknight:
SS: :popo:
S: :diddy: :olimar: :snake: :zerosuitsamus: :falco: :marth:

Nobody else matters. Brawl was not designed well.
Game and Watch, Lucario, Dedede, Toon Link, and Pikachu all have at least one or two decent matchups against these characters so why they do matter a little.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I guess since I did this with a similar thread, I will put in mine.
It is very similar to the official list, but with some changes.

*Top*
SS:metaknight:
S :popo:
A :olimar::diddy::snake::marth::falco:
*High*
B :pikachu2::zerosuitsamus::wario::dedede::lucario::toonlink::wolf:
*Middle*
C :fox::gw::pit::rob::peach:
D :dk2::kirby2::sonic::ike::sheik::ness2::lucas::yoshi2:
E :luigi2::pt:
*Low*
F :mario2::samus2::bowser2::falcon::link2:
*Bottom*
G :jigglypuff::zelda::ganondorf:

Notes:
The F and G tier characters are theoretically equally terrible. The use of F and G tiers are used to separate the bad characters with the candidates for the absolute worst character in the game.

Now character specific:
:lucas: Rose just right below Ness, thanks to Mekos surprisingly strong efforts in mid tier tournaments. This is by far the largest increase in the list.

:wolf: Due to possessing an abnormal amount of results, while holding his own against Meta Knight, he joins high tier alongside the official list’s C+ tier.

:dedede: Rose above Lucario thanks to his dominating matchups against characters below him, although his poor matchups against Meta Knight and Ice Climbers continue to hold him back.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I just realized right now that Lucas got the largest increase in my Brawl list, but the largest decrease in my SSB4 list. LOOOL

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Game and Watch, Lucario, Dedede, Toon Link, and Pikachu all have at least one or two decent matchups against these characters so why they do matter a little.
One or two matchups isn't indicative of an overall matchup spread. Those characters were not relevant at all during Brawl's final days. Pikachu had a niche matchup against Meta Knight, which was arguable in the first place, and greatly debatable, but have you looked at his Ice Climbers matchup? Invalidated. Young Link, for example, has good matchups against Peach and Jigglypuff in Melee, but is he a high tier? No, he is barely middle tier.

All those characters I mentioned, are either:

1. Meta Knight
2. The closest we can find to an even matchup, and what the community proposed as a measure to deal with Meta Knight, other than dittos; Ice Climbers.
3. Characters that are very good, with solid players, who do well against Meta Knight, and Ice Climbers, respectively, and have won supermajors. The two exceptions here are Marth, who did decently against every character, but struggled against Meta Knight. Still, Leon and Mr. R used Marth in Brawl and were very good, and did implement counter-play to deal with a constant, bad, re occurring matchup: Pivot Grab > Grab Release shenanigans. And they won supermajors.

And also, Falco, who struggled against Ice Climbers, but DEHF won supermajors, and again, like Marth, had one bad matchup, and that ONE bad matchup, makes them gatekeepers, it makes them BORDERLINE viable. ESAM never won supermajors with Pikachu, although he had extremely respectable placings. That is how crazy it was in Brawl. 37 characters, and if you were bad against the top 2? 3? 4? You were literal trash.

Diddy Kong as good as Meta Knight, also? That's pretty questionable. Very questionable.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
One or two matchups isn't indicative of an overall matchup spread. Those characters were not relevant at all during Brawl's final days. Pikachu had a niche matchup against Meta Knight, which was arguable in the first place, and greatly debatable, but have you looked at his Ice Climbers matchup? Invalidated. Young Link, for example, has good matchups against Peach and Jigglypuff in Melee, but is he a high tier? No, he is barely middle tier.

1. Meta Knight
2. The closest we can find to an even matchup, and what the community proposed as a measure to deal with Meta Knight, other than dittos; Ice Climbers.
3. Characters that are very good, with solid players, who do well against Meta Knight, and Ice Climbers, respectively, and have won supermajors. The two exceptions here are Marth, who did decently against every character, but struggled against Meta Knight. Still, Leon and Mr. R used Marth in Brawl and were very good, and did implement counter-play to deal with a constant, bad, re occurring matchup: Pivot Grab > Grab Release shenanigans. And they won supermajors.

And also, Falco, who struggled against Ice Climbers, but DEHF won supermajors, and again, like Marth, had one bad matchup, and that ONE bad matchup, makes them gatekeepers, it makes them BORDERLINE viable. ESAM never won supermajors with Pikachu, although he had extremely respectable placings. That is how crazy it was in Brawl. 37 characters, and if you were bad against the top 2? 3? 4? You were literal trash.

Diddy Kong as good as Meta Knight, also? That's pretty questionable. Very questionable.
All opinion, m8.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
>posts "opinion, m8" without contributing anything, for the 700th time
>people get understandably annoyed
>haha I was just pretending to be a nuisance

Yeah, you certainly showed me.

Routa

Smash Lord
Based on what I heard from Brawl Barons of the North (Nordic Brawl players)
SS: :metaknight:
S: :popo:
A: :olimar::marth::snake::diddy:
B: :zerosuitsamus::falco::warioc::pikachu2:
C: :gw::wolf::pit:
These were the characters that people consider noteworthy in northern europe from what I have heard. Everyone below them had way too many things against them that it was not worth it to pick them. Even some of these characters required help with some MUs (like Wario against Marth).
Having more than 2 bad MUs against top tiers was considered to be not worth it.

If I remember correctly both :sheik: and :fox: were considered to be good, but lack of kill power made mediocre at best.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace

1. Meta Knight

Questionable, maybe but if you look at https://www.ssbwiki.com/Character_matchup_(SSBB) , it shows that Diddy only has 3 disadvantuous matchups, despite the fact that his overall matchup total is less than the other top tiers. This means he has the second most advantuous matchups in the game (tied with Olimar). My placement of Olimar was opinionated on which characters could deal with pikmen the best as all of the top tiers except Falco have fast frame data and Falco's reflector helps with this as well. Diddy Kong could deal with almost any matchup which is why he is where he is.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
>posts "opinion, m8" without contributing anything, for the 700th time
>people get understandably annoyed
>haha I was just pretending to be a nuisance

Yeah, you certainly showed me.
At least I cut the act and asked a serious question. Could you please answer it? I promise I won't be trollish :)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Broken Tier

Top Tier
S:popo::diddy::olimar:

High Tier
A:marth::falco::snake::pikachu2:
B:zerosuitsamus::warioc::dedede::lucario:

Mid Tier
C:wolf::fox::gw::toonlink::pit:
D:peach::kirby2::rob::dk2::sonic::sheik::ike::yoshi2:
E:ness2::pt::lucas::luigi2:

Low Tier
F:mario2::samus2::bowser2::falcon::jigglypuff::link2::zelda:

Ganon Tier

G:ganondorf:

:yoshi2: With his glaring shield issues holding him back from the defensive focused Brawl meta, he dropped one spot to E-tier.
Shield is not the only thing that defines the defensive game of a character. Yoshi had a extremely quick and high range pivot grab that alone was like half of Yoshi's meta. He was able to Chain grab most characters, had grab release to upsmash on some and grab release to fair offstage on a few characters too and even infinite Wario if there was no platform above him. He also had the usual egg throw and unlimited egg throws on the ledge.
If you want proof of what I just said, i recommend watching some of Deltacod's videos from the Brawl days

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Broken Tier

Top Tier

High Tier

Mid Tier

Low Tier

Ganon Tier

Shield is not the only thing that defines the defensive game of a character. Yoshi had a extremely quick and high range pivot grab that alone was like half of Yoshi's meta. He was able to Chain grab most characters, had grab release to upsmash on some and grab release to fair offstage on a few characters too and even infinite Wario if there was no platform above him. He also had the usual egg throw and unlimited egg throws on the ledge.
If you want proof of what I just said, i recommend watching some of Deltacod's videos from the Brawl days
I guess I was a little afraid of making my E Tier too small. I will fix it.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Broken Tier

Top Tier

High Tier

Mid Tier

Low Tier

Ganon Tier

There is always this video to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3kA_B3xKmc

Also if anyone is interested in following or in playing brawl follow
https://twitter.com/BrawlBois

Discord
https://discord.gg/Aez6yCD wimmfi and dolphin players
For videos check out
https://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonC9392
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8xEcE9rR0H8m8WKKTKbL9A
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb0QkGnE1BE0sq-WGAuRa6Q Texas brawl scene
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMoY9m6fe4Ttx2BqRP25iA Emerson college, Massachusetts brawl scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbzJbAIRq-g&list=PLF9oHYaYrzVNVjAd367vQuDTnaeDb8okw

Last edited:

Nickendo

Smash Rookie
Tier Lists dont really matter!

Like i use Yoshi which is a (Low Tier) and i dont even say that he is that good, but i like him and i am still pretty good at the game.

But anyway, here is my personal Tier List:

S: Meta Knight
A+: Marth, Snake
A-: Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Falco, Fox
B: Yoshi, Wolf, Ike
C+: Luigi, Wario
C-: Peach, Ice Climbers
D: King Ddd, Lucario, Pit, ZSS, Sonic, Mr. G&W, Olimar
E: Sheik, C. Falcon, Mario, Toon Link
F: Pokémon Trainer (Ivysaur>Charizard>Squirtle), Kirby
G: Jigglypuff, DK, Bowser, R.O.B.
H: Ganondorf, Samus, Zelda, Link
Z: Lucas, Ness (People love Ness and Lucas, but i hate them, so...yeah) #opinions

* I also live in Europe, so the characters are slightly different from the North America version of Brawl !

Renjamin

Smash Cadet
Listen, listen all of you are going about this wrong. Trying to judge these fighters by gameplay, here's the only REAL way to judge them
1569872600482.png

Top Bottom