• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Revival Tournament Edition modification

D

Deleted member

lol, the hell's your problem?
As a meticulous mastermind, I like to make sure everything is technologically and aesthetically perfect.

Cue Winky Face (;))

Last edited by a moderator:

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
it would give an out for people who want to ban Ice Climbers for their chaingrabs
I would expect this mod to fix the broken chaingrabs.
My idea for this is to make it only possible to grab a person 3 times in a row (if the grabs are done within 1 second of a throw), and after the 3rd chain grab, you wouldn't be able to grab them again for 1 second.
This is similar to the jab lock treatment done in Sm4sh.

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
@Mario Smith Where did you get the stages for your modification Brawl Reborn? I remember really enjoying the custom version of Delfino Plaza because it seamlessly rotated through the four main floating platforms without descending to any of the nine stops. Removing each 18 second stop should make Delfino Plaza more fair. Although I would prefer to select and choose each ground location I don't think everyone would agree with me on its legality.

D

Deleted member

@Mario Smith Where did you get the stages for your modification Brawl Reborn? I remember really enjoying the custom version of Delfino Plaza because it seamlessly rotated through the four main floating platforms without descending to any of the nine stops. Removing each 18 second stop should make Delfino Plaza more fair. Although I would prefer to select and choose each ground location I don't think everyone would agree with me on its legality.
I might be able to make a link of it for you. I just have to retrieve the files

Zargasaurus

Smash Apprentice
I play Brawl everyday, along with several friends of mine, and we don't change or mod anything, because of the same reasons Clydeaker gave and how it changes the game from the original. However we make no changes what so ever, like making Zero Suit Samus have her own slot alowh th other characters. I personally, don't mind if a character changes form like from Samus, to ZSS, because I think that it the way the character was design and does not arrant the change, but I see the point behind giving them their own character slots and would still play it, fact i think it's a good idea for what Clydeaker isgong for.
We have certain rules that we follow as well for our group in case you guys were wondering what they were:

1. If there are very few participants or if there is an odd number, we will do "Round Robin" where everyone gets a chance to fight everyone. Otherwise, it is normal tourney rules. If there are many participants, like a full party, we can have both winners and losers brackets. There will be no Items.
2. Matches will be fought with Two Stocks. Three stocks are allowed when playing privately, or for a very important reason, or if a 3 stock session was decided beforehand for the occasion.
3. The time limit for matches is seven minutes depending whether it is a Team Brawl, or a Duel. Time limits may change in future if it is too long, or if the fights simply cannot come to a close in a reasonable timely fashion.
4. Fights will be best two out of three. It can be best three out of five if decided in advance for the occasion or private affair/event.
5. Legal stages are Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Castle Siege, Pokémon Stadium, Pokémon Stadium 2, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, and Final Destination.
6. Stocks in Team Brawl Matches will follow rule 2.
7. The time limit on Team Brawls will be at seven minutes until further notice of it being too short or long.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The problem is that we keep trying to balance the game with rules rather than actual changes.

Zargasaurus

Smash Apprentice
The problem is that we keep trying to balance the game with rules rather than actual changes.
I understand your POV
I just use the rules similar to SSB4 with it being two stocks because it goes by quickly then.
in your Smash Reborn, will Captain Falcon have his mometum from his dash in his jump like it was in SSBM? *is Smash Reborn similar to PM?*

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Hey all! It's been a while since the original proposal from this user, and in that time I've been compiling together a tournament edition pack I'll be testing at our local scene! A little peek at what the strap menu looks like. I went ahead and decided to included many of the suggestions from the OP.
background.png

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to apologize for not following up with this thread until now, I've been busy starting college.
Hey all! It's been a while since the original proposal from this user, and in that time I've been compiling together a tournament edition pack I'll be testing at our local scene! A little peek at what the strap menu looks like. I went ahead and decided to included many of the suggestions from the OP.
View attachment 117384
Really? I'm surprised that you followed what I proposed. Just about everyone I've told about my idea that Brawl can become competitive with little to no character changes laughs, mocks, and argues with me. Thank you, I'm glad that you can see where I'm coming from.

What did you change or add to the game? Are their any character changes? How did you fix the ledge grab issue? Let me know if chain grabs and Meta Knight are still a major issue.

Zargasaurus

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to apologize for not following up with this thread until now, I've been busy starting college.

Really? I'm surprised that you followed what I proposed. Just about everyone I've told about my idea that Brawl can become competitive with little to no character changes laughs, mocks, and argues with me. Thank you, I'm glad that you can see where I'm coming from.

What did you change or add to the game? Are their any character changes? How did you fix the ledge grab issue? Let me know if chain grabs and Meta Knight are still a major issue.
I just wanted to say that your ideas are good, and I liked them very much -_-...
lol it's all fine and good XD.

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Mostly just changes to add to the overall accessibility of the game. Right now I am getting all of the tournament viable stages onto the same page and added the stage striking process using the "strike" key on a controller, with a logo we use to represent our scene.

Down the road I'll provide two versions; one with three stocks/eight minutes (which seems to have been the Brawl default most enjoyed), and a build with two stocks/six minutes set as the default upon loading. For setups that don't have everything unlocked, it comes with a preloaded with a code that has everything unlocked from the getgo so you're not wasting three hours of your day getting the random stage switch and characters unlocked. And speaking of which, by default, stages at "random" are all of the legal ones upon loading. Team attack set to on.

There are no character changes made. I'm not sure how to make it so matches ending in a draw will by default reset on the same stage with a three minute time limit and one stock. My thought here is if there was a way to edit the Sudden Death portion so I can disable bombs and reduce damage from 300% to 0%, it could be played as a proper "Rematch" as per the Brawl rules.

As far as ledge grabbing goes, I'm not sure how to handle this. People in our scene think it should just stay how it is since that's how vanilla Brawl is, so I changed it from a Smash 4 styled ledge grabbing where frequent ledge grabs without getting on stage would leave you vulnerable back to the original for now. I'd like to hear more people's thoughts on that!

And as for chain grabbing, so many characters have it across the cast and it's in vanilla Brawl, so I didn't alter anything for characters. My goal going off your ideas is just to provide a more friendly and accessible means of playing the game without touching the core gameplay. Also did lots of aesthetic touches to indicate throughout many menus that it is Brawl: Tournament Pack and changed some character series icons and a few sound effects for fun.
MenSelchrMark.17.png

MenSelchrMark.13.png

Zargasaurus

Smash Apprentice
Down the road I'll provide two versions; one with three stocks/eight minutes (which seems to have been the Brawl default most enjoyed), and a build with two stocks/six minutes set as the default upon loading.
On the 2 stock thing, I think 5 minutes will serve you best. I and some others have been trying to build a Brawl community in our local area, and only when we have a doubles match with 4 stocks *without Meta Knight* occasionally time gets close to running out (or does).

In a three way fight with 3 stocks and 5 minutes and somebody is camping, time might run out on occasion as well.

With a 2 stock 5 minute fight (between two players) even when someone is camping, it comes to a close in a timely fashion; I personally just do not find 6 minutes to be necessary.
In response to the 3 stocks 8 minutes, I feel that the time limit is too long for anybody ever, and should be 6; I think my friends might agree with this.

Anyways, these are just my opinions and do not claim them to be facts. I like what you are trying to do, and I hope you succeed. If your SSBB scene is close to where I am, we might meet some day :). By the way, I have already devised an independant Tier List :D.

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I'm working on a toggling menu where you can go through various different options like momentum cancelling, random tripping, hazards, and other things like having Meta Knight/Ice Climbers grayed out and unplayable and basically allowing you to have a custom made build for your own tournament scene while retaining the vanilla Brawl gameplay. With some adjustments and further testing, I could have it ready to go by Big House 6, where I'm having it tested by plenty of Brawl vets in our hotel room.

Top Bottom