• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Postmortem at GDC 2008

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
by PilotEvan

<p>The Game Developers Conference (GDC) is the worldwide E3 for game developers. GDC attracts industry hotshots as well as hobbyists to allow a plethora of game programmers, designers, and developers to show their stuff. This year's conference will be held during February 18-22 in the Moscone Center in San Francisco, California.</p><p>Among the many presentations will be &quot;Development - Super Smash Bros. Brawl&quot;, a postmortem hosted by none other than Masahiro Sakurai himself. Here's the <a href="https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=G&amp;V=3&amp;id=237861">description from the GDC website</a>:</p><blockquote><p>One of the strengths of Nintendo is its great number of character
franchises. SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL builds on this legacy by providing
a unique experience for Wii, leveraging many popular characters from
the history of Nintendo and beyond. However, integrating so many
different characters, each with its own personality, is no easy task,
especially when characters from other publishers are willing to join
the brawl. The man behind SMASH BROS., Masahiro Sakurai, discusses how
he has approached this unique game series.</p></blockquote><p>Although the talk comes before Brawl is actually released in the US, it will have been out in Japan for a few weeks. Expect tons of information about the creation and production of Brawl, including characters, concepts, and game modes. Those who are intrigued in the process of game development and design should find themselves especially interested.</p><p>For more information, including the specific date and time the session will be held, check out the GDC website at <a href="http://www.gdconf.com/">http://www.gdconf.com</a>.</p>

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is perfect. I wonder if I can somehow get into to GDC and talk to him myself in my broken Japanese.

Penguyen

Smash Journeyman
We could learn alot from this speech... hopefully. A 60 min lecture would have to offer some insight into the number of characters, their quality and uniqueness.

EDIT: just realised this is in february..

Hard Corwen

Smash Cadet
I will be at GDC this year as a CA, I will try my best to work or go to this session and deliver my findings to this very thread.

I wonder if it's going to be playable on the showfloor, last year they had strikers: charged to play. I hope.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Does anyone know how much the recording usually costs for these seminars? Never got a straight answer for that. I can't exactly afford a plane ticket to California + the $600+ or whatever entrance fee!

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Hopefully he'll explain his himself not just have the same ol', "Sumash Brasa is gureit! You go bai! Ai put in every character you wanut! It for fanus! Ai very cureeitive, meik good geim!"

S2

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that this is GDC, a conference geared towards game makers and not fans.

Sakurai is going to be talking about the challanges of making the game - its not just going to be an expose on things that got cut.

Well, I'm hoping one of the big games sites either puts video or a transcription of this up as soon as it happens.

Hard Corwen

Smash Cadet
I might, but other than to see Morgan Webb I really don't have that much incentive to go when I'll be able to get a summary of his speech the next day.
I saw her last year and I got to be on G4 with her. If you think she's hot on tv, she's way hotter in person.

Hard Corwen

Smash Cadet
Keep in mind that this is GDC, a conference geared towards game makers and not fans.

Sakurai is going to be talking about the challanges of making the game - its not just going to be an expose on things that got cut.

Well, I'm hoping one of the big games sites either puts video or a transcription of this up as soon as it happens.
There will be a translator at the session so no worries there.

Top Bottom