• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Online General Discussion/ Social/ Thing

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
Tankster Tankster You're actually reading all these pages? I can respect the effort though. Many people from this thread (including myself) are not very active anymore sadly. Many good times were had, a few bad, but mostly good.
If only you knew how much I wish that I discovered this website before Nintendo shut down the Wii's server.....

Edit 1 (8/31/16): 150 pages read...
Honestly, with all the craziness that's going on I want to go back and play Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus. Since I don't own either one I went back to playing the Ocanira of Time just to remember why I quit in the first place. I'm missing the golden gauntlets, and the only clue that I'm left with is the horseback archery challenge. I can never seem to reach 1500 points. I guess it's hard to aim after playing Call of Duty for so long (John card used - Remaining: 2)
As for what some of you do in basic brawl I am glad that I'd changed my main to Fox a almost 2 years ago...;

Edit 2: 200 pages read, finally.
First off, I'm in school, plus I'm working. So I'm definitely not getting anymore time to actually read until mid December (which is far off). So it'll be some time before I hit page 250.
Secondly, the recent update of smashboards has left me confused. Because some pictures got lost with the updates I'll never fully understand the stories that everyone has left behind. Luckily, the thread still lives.
Speaking of which, there were some things that I like while reading like the idea of having One Piece come into smashboards temporarily. I wanted to like some of the post that I saw, but I decided to act like an archeologist and not touch the posts at all. I don't want to start spamming likes nor act like I was there a while ago. It saddens me that I never knew about this a long time ago. Oh well: no use crying over what was popular once upon a time.
Everyone is weird is this thread, but I think I grown used to that. My eyes don't burn as much, but my mind is full of weird pictures now. I'm glad that I'm a temporary introvert.
Enough said. Time to read more....(and possibly meet new people)

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I'm surprised you're actually reading all of this... heh.... you should read the 20 skype groups and discord groups...

Things really used to heat up with this group.....:c

[congrats on the page btw]

Last edited:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Our struggles and triumphs here have now left their mark in history.

:sniff: We grew up so fast...

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
Skype......not sure if I want to do that. It was hard getting through the first 25 pages without uttering the word "crazy"

Edit (11/3/16): 250 pages finally read. Thank you Amazon for forcing me off of work early....
I may not have known about a group on the planet at the time, but I do know that my days were numbered. I wasn't about to buy a Wii U off the bat. However, after reading these last 50 pages (minus the OMG comments) I realized why things were starting to get insane in BB. I still can recall what I was doing and what was going on.
For one, I was in the mood for 1v1s after the end of 2013. I was trying to learn how to use Zelda, but I ultimately gave up due to fighting over a stinkin' color. I was starting to branch out and use other characters, but the characters I would still be using is Peach, Pikachu, Sheik, and Sonic. Zelda was rarely brought out anymore.
The hacks were annoying, especially the giga bowser. It despised me at the time. The only one I was okay with was the target stage one. Therefore, I would usually use my dark Sonic to blow up the crown no matter the type of group I'm in. I do recall facing a gold Pit at the time. I wish that I could face him again, because that was literally the last good Pit that I faced. It's been over 2 years counting today that I've seen one.
I felt like I was being stalked every time I went on. I always ran into a red Marth. Matter of fact, red became the new thing for a while. So, for peach I went blue or green, Pikachu I stayed green or neutral, Sheik I stayed black or blue, and my sonic is always black or aggressive. I'm pretty sure that whoever the stalker was didn't recognize me making 1v1ing people much easier. If anything was for sure, I at least learn part of the matchups for Marth.
If anyone wonders who I mainly play during the Wifi days, it was peach. During Wifi's last days I was actually decent. No, I don't do glide tosses, bonewalking, and all the other techs that was needed for her, but I was decent with her overall before moving on to Project M.....

Edit 2 (11/23/16): 300 pages read. Sadly, I'm still adjusting to the readings/gifs. I'm surprised that the ban hammer wasn't used as of yet. And I thought I was the weird one....
I'm actually sad now. I know I'm keeping track of a bracket that is pointless to me (and possibly following a winner here :psycho:), but I'll say it again: I wish I knew the community existed back then. I would have gotten a lot better if I knew there were tournaments out there.....I can't complain on the other hand. I had a chance to prove myself, and I screwed it up. I've been to only one brawl torunament at the very beginning of this year. I threw the tournament just because I had to go against Ally. Now I'm searching for an opportunity once again.....
I'm definitely going back to the bb server in the middle of December. It's been almost 4 months since playing online. Folks might have moved on since then. Not to say that it wasn't hard finding folks online (1/2 hour wait -_-)......

Edit 3 (01/01/17): Finally reached page 350. Happy new years by the way! :)
It's really been hard to find stuff to say as of lately. I still read on when the opportunity presents itself. Let's see, what's first on the agenda:
Admiral: You definitely deserve the name. I never truly knew your skills until I watched your YouTube video and started trying to get more info on you. I can only guess that you've been in tournaments before. The question I'm now asking myself is why I haven't heard of you before when I first joined the smash community back in 2015. Now that I think about it I may have ran into you once back in the WiFi days, but unless I was Sheik or Sonic I've played around too much. *sigh* Hopefully Smash 4 has been treating you well during the 2 years it's been out. I'm not sure if you still mess with YouTube, but you just got yourself another subscriber. Hopefully, I get to hear more about you in the future. Sincerely, this try-hard noob.
Random Person: I don't know who you are, but I found you sneaking up on this thread 3 days ago. I could do nothing but laugh. It was funny waiting to see what the other person was going to do. If I didn't have no distractions for the next hour I would have revealed myself sooner :D. Lol, I already see this happening frequently in the future.
Do I have anything better to do. Sure I do: revive brawl! Sure, it's just a dream, but it's achievable. There's already a group dedicated for doing this. However, I feel as though majority is only focused on the competitive scene being revived. I'm more focused on the online aspect, but it's getting harder to keep folks on the Wii now that Netplay is getting more popular. I don't know, I just might work on reviving basic brawl since I get people every now and then. Again, I'm crazy for doing this, but I don't care either. Most of the item spammers disappear, and I have my moments every now and then. I wish I could have at least 3 people in the room at least....

Edit 4 (01/17/17): Reached page 400. Nearly caught up...partially.
For once I'm glad to say that I've enjoyed reading the thread thus far. Not only did it lead into some video searches just to possibly find myself, I've subscribed to at least 3 people. It would be nice if everybody was still using their YouTube accounts. I wanted to know what they've been up to. *sigh* It is what it is I guess.
It's funny looking back to the day that the Nintendo Wi-Fi servers have finally shut off. I feel dumb just revisiting that time. However, at the time it did get cut off I started dropping characters left and right, so that I can train and hopefully find a place that does tournaments for brawl. I've played almost half of the cast at the time, and I dropped majority of them. It went something like this:
"I'm dropping Ike, because he's too slow to hit somebody. I like Sheik, but she lacks the kill power to finish people off. I can't seem to finish people off with my smashes. Zelda has to go. I love Olimar so much, but his recovery sucks. Gandondorf is definitely too slow. Plus his recovery sucks. I'm definitely dropping him. People can punish Pokémon Trainer just for switching between his pokemon during battle. Not worth it. Mario is too average for me. Captain Falcon easily gets punished just for tripping. I can't really rely on many moves for King Dedede; his forward smash and sometimes his recovery takes too long to pull off. Plus his inhale is useless. Pit would be great if he didn't die just from being hit out of his recovery. Jigglypuff's rest sucks. It was way better in the 64 version (clueless about Melee during the time being). I'm dropping Lucas as well. I'm just not consistent with his recovery. (I forgot why I dropped Diddy in the first place). Sorry Sonic; I used you only because my brothers were abusing you. I have to drop Snake. There's too much that I can't do with him like the DACUSes I saw on basic brawl. Sorry Samus, I can't seemed to kill with you either..."
You get the point. By the time I dropped all these characters the only ones I was focused on was Peach, Pikachu, and Ice Climbers. As soon as I heard about the 0 to death chain grab I attempted it in training. I redeemed it too hard to learn. Plus I was convinced that you needed the chain grab to win any tournament out there. So I dropped the Ice climbers. So it was Peach and Pikachu only, and that's without knowing how to input buffered commands, do glide tosses, and do special actions with certain characters like Peach's bonewalking technique for example. So the end of 2014 I was first introduced to project m which I got blasted to oblivion. This was before 3.5. I hated it after comparing PM and Melee. It took the smash documentary and for 3.5 to come out in order for me to give the game another chance. I did take a long break from brawl, but when I came back I've noticed 2 things: my survival percentage went down by up to 40% due to me not airdodging, and my timings weren't on point. Not only didn't I failed to tech at times, but my DI was worse half of the time. I finally dropped Peach due to PM fever. I wasn't on point like I was back in 2014, and to this day I'm still not on point. Because of me wanting my own game of melee I've picked up a few characters to try out like Fox and Falco, but trying to learn some of the characters that I've dropped is a pain. Learning some of the techniques like the glide toss is also a pain. I'm having to readjust my playstyle with certain characters, and it sometimes gets me killed early. I don't know...I guess more practice is the solution. Besides, I don't want another player like Ally to 3-stock me (or attempt a JV4).
I'm pretty sure that I've said this once. If so, I'll say it again. There were so many posts that I wanted to like, but I didn't feel like giving folks unnecessary notifications or getting involved with history like that. So I left things the way they are. I do wish that I knew about the website earlier before Nintendo shut down their servers...*sigh* I need that Wii U soon...
As for brawl itself, I'm still practicing brawl on my own. I do have people to play with, but with most people with a 6+ competitive experience compared to my 1 month I'm usually getting 3-stocked by the time I get finished. I guess the only plus side to this is that I rarely lose matches in basic brawl. No, you'll rarely find anyone...if you ever find anyone, but they're still some noobs out there that relies on items to win. Oh well, anything goes I guess....hopefully I run into someone on smashboards lol.

Edit 5 (01/28/17): 450 pages read. About 75% caught up. Finally........
Honestly, I thought I was being really weird and creepy when my edits made it past 3, but after seeing the wall of edits I don't have to worry about all those edits. All I was trying to do was avoid second posting.
I know it's a short post, but I have to leave now. To think that the yaoi/yuri was all done....nope *throws up*

Edit 6: page. 500. Let's. Go.
For one, these last 50 pages that I've read has been of much funny moments and sorrowful ones too. It amazes me. I didn't think that folks can grow close just by only being online. With the last 500 pages that I've read plus the entire "Basic Brawl Friend Finder" thread I'm so glad that I'm proven wrong. The fact that a mod was able to let this thread go as long as it did amazes me as well. You guys have drawn so many people to the thread during the last moments that Nintendo had their Wi-Fi servers up....unless some of you came in as guests (ninjas). I took a peek at the Smash 4 thread, and I'm kinda confused as to why that one isn't as active as this one once was.
Speaking of Smash 4 I didn't know about the game until 2 months after the server went down. I was upset. I knew that Nintendo has gotten greedy with their money. So I was against getting the Wii U just for the basic fact that the Wii U won't be able to play any Gamecube games (don't know if that's true or not now). As for the online features, I agreed with what Sakurai was doing...partially. I liked the fact that he put it For Glory. As for the rules, no....I get it. Basic Brawl wasn't as though as he created it. However, there were too many rules in my opinion. No attacking just one person in a free-for-all? No intentional suicides? I get that he was trying to regulate the rules, but in my opinion (at the time) Sakurai was creating his own world where all it's about fighting. I still don't have the game, but I started to recently hear about Smash Hell. Is this what playing online produced? Yeah, I'm sticking to brawl. If I ever get smash 4 I'm probably going to use the online features to directly play with other people. Like seriously, good grief.
I won't make another edit until I finish reading the entire thread. Seems fair enough since I only managed to help push the thread to page 582. Hopefully it can get to page 600......
To think I took about 7 months in between working and going to school to read all of this....what have I've been doing with myself all this time? 0_0
P.S. Still on that Basic Brawl...surprisingly. The good news is that I've been getting lots of 1v1s, and I've been winning a lot of them (after losing to a lot of pro-like people in my brawl discord group). Out of the people that I've faced 25% still relies on items, and only 2 people out of the entire group were very friendly. In fact, it's extremely rare to be with 2 people at once; even more rare to be in a taunt party.

Last edited:

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
P PATH O__o Hello to you too (I'll have to remember to add in a gif l8er when I get home...)

So, I'm all caught up. If you haven't heard by now, you all are crazy xD

Surprisingly I can still recall my very last brawl match by memory that day Wi-Fi cut off. Ike was getting owned, Pikachu was doing decent, and Meta Knight was brutal. I was a Peach main back then. It was a decent ffa. I took the lead and held it there the entire match. In the last 2 seconds my point gets stolen because of the reverse shuttle loop. That ended the adventure right then and there, because I became extremely salty over that. The score was 3, 2, 1, and -7. That Ike sucked so badly lol.

Speaking of which, I couldn't get past page 548 for a minute. I was too busy rewinding that YouTube video like "Did that really just happen?" Too funny in my case.

I'm not surprised that Sm4sh went big. Not only did that community get into it with melee: it managed to keep PM out of majors for a good while, and it managed to shrink the Brawl community to the point where it was non-existent. Honestly, if it wasn't for this lady named Pidge there wouldn't have been a discord group for brawl. I really do hope it continues to grow. I don't have a Wii U after all of this time, but when I get one I'll start looking for people to play with. I honestly don't feel comfortable playing For Fun and For Glory after hearing about "Smash Hell"....

As far as I can tell, I only been to one Brawl tournament thus far, and I threw the tournament after finding out that I was going to face Ally. I didn't really have the confidence to try; I took the 3 stocked option. I never did recover afterwards. I'm planning to go to more tourneys this year. I'm mainly looking at CEO Dreamland, Smash n' Splash 3 for sure, and Smashcon hopefully. I'm a lot confident than what a was a year ago. So I'm ready to give it another shot. If some of you guys go to tourneys it would be nice to meet some of you. If not, I'm satisfied with this chat. ( Cap'nChreest Cap'nChreest maybe I would one day read some of the discord chat. I mean, I still have my sanity after reading this and the BBFF thread...)

I would be lying if I said that I still be on BB on the weekends. I'm currently following the millionaire lifestyle, and right now the beginning part sucks. I'm currently in 2 businesses just starting. I'm trying to join a 3rd, and I'm trying to get a set schedule for streaming I just recently started as well (check out my profile at twitch.tv/Tankster27 > okay no more advertising...). If things starts working out as far as my businesses are concerned then I know that I'll probably will be busy doing webinars. The thought of this all overwhelms me. All I wanted to do was to get enough money to enjoy the activities with other people... *sigh* I guess if this is what it takes I'll go through all of this. Still, it's a lot of work: I may have to give up going to tournaments for a second year in a row....scary thoughts at the moment.

I know that you guys have most likely moved on, but in case you come back for a day or so I'll probably make myself available around 8p on the weekends if I'm free. I usually use Fox, Falco, and Zelda, but in basic it's mainly Charizard (you'll know it's me once you see my Scrub-tle). Well, nice meeting you all ;)

P.S. Player -0 Player -0 For someone to be reading for almost a year I still get you mixed up with Player 1 (Brawl Diddy main). I hope you can forgive me for that...

Bob

Banned via Warnings
Smash 4 isn't worthy of being Brawl's replacement. #RevivalofBrawl #BringBrawlBack

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
It's been a good while since being here. Life has got me sidetracked, but because of my current goals I'm taking a visit back to this thread. I've been mainly working trying to get closer to at least part time streaming 3 times a week. The struggle is real though. So I haven't really been active at all in anything. However, I'm poking my head in to see what's up.

I still practice brawl at least 5 times a week, sometimes less because of how exhausting work is. About 2 weeks ago I went back to basic. I'm a bit surprised to see people still playing it. The only thing that's changed between now and back then when I was active is how more competitive it is in those 2 minutes. I'm even starting to think that someone is waiting for me at times, because I see them on the same days around the same time, and my best times are usually around 11 at night. It is what it is, but as long as activity lurks around I'll keep playing.

Truth be told, I might be turning into a diehard fan as far as competitiveness goes. If brawl tournaments do exist (which they are currently making a comeback at a slow rate) I'll rather play there with all of what I know than to play at a melee or smash 4 tournament which I have absolutely no experience over. No hates to those games. I'll still play them casually if I have the chance, but it's not worth getting frustrated trying to pick up techs right away...not if Smash Bros is suppose to be fun in the first place. ;)

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
Double post. Hopefully, nothing is said about this....hopefully.

Quick update with me anyways....I've gotten lazier as time went by. I'm just about distracted with Final Fantasy 14, and the distraction is only getting worse. My family's goal is to get me to try new things. Here's the thing: I don't really want to move on...yet.

I met 2 people from basic through Discord. Although they're not really competitive I still have fun playing with them. It's a small break from taking the game serious. So I'm happy that I found them. There is one other person who's regularly active. He just needs to find us. So far, I found a green color main :joyful:and a Charizard main. Now I just need to find the ICs main. It's about that time. As for basic itself I don't play that much, but the poeple I usually do play besides the 2 that I mentioned usually don't stay long. Too many rage quits these days...there was a black Mario that I couldn't beat one day, but that's the only time I can recall getting beaten badly. Other than that, I usually dominate as long as it's a 1v1.

I don't know who offered or said that I should read the group discord to see how crazy everyone was (I'm too lazy to find the post at the moment :p ), but if it was offered to me I'll take it in a heartbeat. However, that's not how it is right now.....

That's all I can think about right now. Hopefully everyone's lives has been great. I shall be traveling soon...hoping to help revive the game at least...if not, maybe to make a mark in PM......

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
i only play brawl for the stage editor. Have you ever tried making a fully enclosed box, so no one dies? You haven't played brawl until you've hit 700% in a 2 minute match.

Last edited:

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
I had something similar to those before getting wimmifi, one giantatic box with an opening, and a small rectangular box which you can only be trapped after the drop boxes respawned. Fun times. :)

Edit: Now that I think about it we should all do something for the game this Christmas. For me, I would probably have a group of people do basic to remember the times. Then again, what are the chances of this happening, speaking realistically?

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Probably will get in trouble for this mega necro post, but I just have to ask in this forgotten corner of SmashBoards:

Is anyone from the old 2015ish era still around here?

Just thought I'd ask...it has been quite a while.

I wonder if anyone comes around here anymore...even guests or mods. If anyone sees this, just know that this thread once meant a lot to a certain group of people. Lots of happy moments, and sad ones.

(most dramatic post i've ever typed tbh)

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I mean, I'm not sure what you're referring to but I joined in 2013 and got a notification for this thread so...

I'm actually curious what I even posted in this thread.

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
It's been almost 4 years since I posted in here, let alone being active, and I'm probably choosing a horrible time to necro this thread.

Eh, might as well be since I see ninjas in here due to my other post in the ultimate section. I guess I'm going to see who still uses Wimmifi to play online tonight. It'll be an edit if I surprisingly find someone to connect with.

places head down for a nap

Dan

Smash Lord
I'd imagine this type of thing exists on Discord.

It saddens me how much forums have died but such is life...

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
7+ years since Nintendo has shut down the servers, and the very few that remains is STILL playing basic brawl! Like. oh my goodness. I'm that excited.

I have fallen from grace though. 3 months of Ultimate and a lot of years of Final Fantasy XIV....I have to relearn brawl all over again. Geez. Guess I'm stuck with Peach for now since I suck with everyone else. I have to try and pretend I'm not playing Ultimate, because I forgot how bad some of the moves are.

Top Bottom