• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Ness (SEVENTEEN ****ETY THREE)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Hey I've won a scrub tournament and everybody in my pool at Pound 4 was fairly even except for Eggm and some shiek player... =/

If I just wasn't playing dumb against Vex's fox I could've won. I was being stupid in the face of camp gay fox... X_X It was my first time playing vs. something like that.

I wanna show md/va my richmond practice at sypher's next tournament. Playing doll in Peach dittos must've helped some...

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Post vids of your ness, then.

I have vids of my ness on my channel. Would you say that you're ness is better than mine?

Also, i'm djcing next to people in training mode because I want to practice djc uair combos, as seen from tatsuman.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Just giving random advice lol.

Just cuz djc attacks are fast, doesn't mean you don't have to space them. Look at how Peach plays in brawl+ with her "fc'ing" for an example.

I really haven't had a problem with footstooling while trying to DJC, at least not to the point where I feel screwed out of my combo. Every time it's happened to me, it's been because of poor positioning, or simply DJing too late.

If you're having this problem, you might try and start them off with an up tilt (or up smash if you're feeling lucky), and then begin the combo rather than trying to start with a uair.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Okay, after playing in a tourney, I'd like some matchup help with Ness.

Mainly pertaining to Zelda and ROB, but any other character you're willing to say anything about go right ahead.

With Zelda, I've found that approaching her shield is a risky business, as it could result in me eating a lightning kick, which hurts a lot. I've mainly tried to fair camp a bit against Zelda, as she doesn't seem to have an easy way around it. It's also hard to combo her because she flies away a good distance whenever you hit her.

As for ROB, it's difficult to get in on a defensive ROB. This isn't really a problem if the ROB likes to be offensive, but both will do their ****dest to gimp you to hell and back. Taking into account that not DI'ing up any attack that sends offstage can result in a gimp, how would I go about fighting him onstage?

Also, interesting info about Peach, her fair outranges Ness's, or at least I've been hit out of my fair with hers, and I can see how people would have trouble with this matchup. Maybe it was the person I was playing against, but I found that being aggressive works well here, as it prevents her from getting turnips, and the only move of hers that outranges yours takes forever to come out.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Congrats on getting 9th place in that B+ tourney Kaiser. I want to help you but I can't atm.

I'll post some more relevant info Tomorrow.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Footstool combos.

Or, realistically, I do djc uair into utilt if they shield. Seems to work for me.

Apologies, I've been busy with finals and practicing for a melee tournament recently.

Zelda isn't a character that Ness can reliably shield pressure from what I've seen. She can't shield grab reliably, but she's got her usmash OoS and bair/fair.
If you have to dance around Zelda's shield though, bair is probably your best bet. The sweet spot hitbox is fairly large, and has decent push back.

I usually wall bairs and fairs when fighting Zelda, as she doesn't have many viable approaches, mostly relying on bait and punish setups for her openings. If she gets the lead, you may be in for bit of trouble though.

Peach and ROB, I don't have much experience with.

On a completely unrelated note, all of Ness' aerials seem to combo into a grab at 0% on heavies and fast fallers. Floaties don't get grabbed from dair, but the other aerials seem to work on them as well.

Not incredibly useful, but a fun little trick.

I think that's useful, since it allows for Dthrow techchasing or Uthrow combos.
Aerials comboing into grabs is always a good thing, but the aerial that nets grabs at the widest range of percentages, and is easiest to pull of is fair.

I think we've known about that for a fairly long while, no pun intended.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Man, why is fair so good?

No, seriously, if I'm in doubt of what to do next, I normally just throw out a fair and it works.

It can wall, be used for approaching, can combo, the only thing it can't do is kill.

It actually can kill. Zapjump Fair offstage kills off the side at about 90-100%. Not to mention it combos into a grab unto infinity.

Really though, Ness doesn't have a bad aerial.

So, anyone notice that if you DJC an aerial just as you pass through a platform, you can land on it with no lag?

I haven't really done much with it in actual matches, but it seems like it could be very useful for chasing opponents onto platforms. And more DJC uairs, of course.

D

Deleted member

Hummmmmmmm I wish Project Melee was out now. Makes B+ redundant. :( Ness is sweet in PM :)

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Eh, I still prefer B+ ness, but then again I was never big into melee. This may be why P:M doesn't interest me too much.

D

Deleted member

Probably because your join date is 09. Shame it's lost on you...

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Nah. I just like B+ more. Not saying I don't like melee, just that I'd rather stay with B+.

P:M is still fun, though, mainly because of Ganon and G&W.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
What did they do to Ness in PM? I played him last weekend and didn't like him at all...

They really need to get the inputs to be more like melee or else I can't play PM, forward smashing instead of dash attack is weird lol.

shanus

Smash Hero
What did they do to Ness in PM? I played him last weekend and didn't like him at all...

They really need to get the inputs to be more like melee or else I can't play PM, forward smashing instead of dash attack is weird lol.
I still don't get how you do that at all. Not one melee player has made a comment about that, and we have had a LOT of big name melee players play it. I pick up melee and PM and I have -zero- issue with the inputs for dash attack vs fsmash so I find this more than a little puzzling.

D

Deleted member

I play with 0 buffer and have no problems. In fact I can't play PM too well with even one frame.

AxisSkollexxx

Smash Rookie
Ness is just a less-kaput version of Lucas. Lucas is more worthless than Olimar(at least Olimer has decent attacks).

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Lucas is mediocre, though.

But Ness and Lucas are nowhere near similar, simply because Ness has DJC and Lucas doesn't.

I tried playing Lucas once, felt so awkward.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Lucas definetely isn't mediocre in Brawl +, he's actually quite good. Both Ness and Lucas are good in Brawl + (which they should rightfully be)

Ness is just a less-kaput version of Lucas. Lucas is more worthless than Olimar(at least Olimer has decent attacks).

Brawl character boards are thataway! (welcome to Smashboards)

Top Bottom