• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl is an amazing underrated Smash game

volbound1700

Smash Master
I recently picked up the SSE and played it again. Brawl is a great game with a lot of depth. I feel that it was crapped on by the competitive crowd as the game wasn't designed for them like Smash 4 and Ultimate. Still, I think Brawl was a classic with a lot of depth. I still think it has better Single Player content than any other Smash game. Ultimate's World of Light is a poor representation of the SSE. The SSE had unique enemies, levels, and a lot of depth. I really wish we could have gotten a true SSE sequel instead of the modified fighters fight we got in Smash Ultimate and Smash Tour in Smash 4. The competitive crowd and video leakers turned Sakurai off to this dream that was great in Brawl.

I still think of Brawl as great and pick it up every now and then. Ultimate is better due to significantly more content in the Smash mode and a lot stronger character/stage roster. Still, Brawl will have a special part in my heart.

GhostM

Phantom
Brawl is underrated among all the other games simply because not that many people enjoyed the competitive scene. I too was that person that gave Brawl an unfair rating simply because it wasn’t like any other smash game, but my opinion about it changed through time. Brawl did introduce some new things such as SSE, footstooling, and other mechanics that were unique at the time. I still hold my opinion that Brawl is fun to play at a casual level, but I’m not interested in the competitive scene. Originally it was because Meta Knight dominated the competitive scene until it eventually changed because of the speed overall. I felt like Smash 4 at the time was right in terms of speed until Ultimate came to change that. For me, brawl feels too slow and clunky in terms of overall movement. Even with the assist of playing Smash 4 and Ultimate to move on from Melee’s mechanics, brawl is still sort of slow for me. These games did help me have a standing ground in the game since coming from Melee’s mechanics -> Brawl was a disaster to happen. Although I’m not interested in the competitive scene at all, I still respect those who learned and mastered the fundamentals of Brawl. Again, coming from Melee it looks really difficult to get used to Brawl, especially when your main has little to no representation in the competitive scene, and is only used as a ‘fun’ mixup character...

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I have lots of fond memories about Brawl.

In my option, it had much more things great about than whatever flaws there were.

The Subspace Emissary and the bosses and final boss are among the things that stand out the most to me about Brawl.

I recall the time I first watched the trailer for it, I was so unbelievably excited because at that time I had wondered what had happened to the series; it had been years since Melee’s release. To see Brawl finally announced as a new Smash Bros. game refueled my hope for the series.

Yes, I get that it wasn’t the same competitive experience as Melee, but looking back it it all now, I will never forget the hype I had about the game.

The game had an amazing soundtrack and I would just listen to it for hours and hours on YouTube.

Stage Builder was a lot of fun too, I remember how long it took to build a lot of stages, but I had fun doing so in the process.

The game was so hype at the time, and so were the newcomers and stages.

Today, I will play it sometimes just to recall the fond memories I have of it.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Brawl was rather mediocre even as a casual game due to tripping, slow gameplay, the majority of stages being terrible to play on, several items being terrible to use and the most broken character in any smash bros game.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
I still think Brawl is undefeated when it comes to new (at the time) content. The amount of music, stages, trophies, characters etc made it feel absolutely huge compared to Melee. Even Ultimate doesn't feel as big when it comes to new stuff.

Top Bottom