• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Information Compendium & Social

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
To the dude getting tech chased by snake,

turn away so he cant see you, put your controller under your shirt, or my personal fav, when he turns to look at you, look back into his eyes and give him the "im about to kill/****/eat you face"

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
How do I punish a player when I predict them? I can't seem to counter some attacks that are spammed (I was playing a Sonic who kept spamming USmash and UpB>Dair, and I knew what he was going to do but had no idea how to counter it, and I lost that match.):urg:

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
When he does the Up-B and D-air, run away a little, and pivot grab his landing. That should work.

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
Oh, a slight error of enunciation on my end; I was referring to all attacks in general (I've been spammed by Ike Fair, Luigi Nado, and PSI attacks on numerous occasions.) I'm thinking that I need to study MUs and gain experience on bad MUs by Brawling a lot?

Jane

Smash Hero
you just need to practice more and improve your reflexes in game.
eventually, youll notice, for example, ike's fair starting, and youll know to airdodge/block. and right after your airdodge/block you can punish by using one of your quick attacks

Kishin

Smash Ace
I was playing a CPU 8 Falcon and I got mindgamed hard. The CPU did some sort of dash cancel tech. I could hear the sound of the dash initiating but then right after the CPU went into a walk. It was done twice consecutively and I still have the replay.

Is there anything known about this tech?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I seriously have no idea where to post this. But my User CP is ****ing up. It's not showing some of the recent threads, especially ones where I just post in anymore. It's also showing some of the old threads as well, old as in hasn't been bumped from like weeks ago. :cry:

Edit: Nevermind it's all fixed. >______________>

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I was playing a CPU 8 Falcon and I got mindgamed hard. The CPU did some sort of dash cancel tech. I could hear the sound of the dash initiating but then right after the CPU went into a walk. It was done twice consecutively and I still have the replay.

Is there anything known about this tech?
By any chance, are you referring to this?

A_man13

Smash Master
Great collections of articles. I've only read three all the way through, but I am noticing the errors that cause me to loose a match against the practice room sandbag.

I'll admit that I play CPUs way too oftan for my own good as it is causing me to develop poor habits due to their nature of clearly indicating what they are going to do and not responding to attacks at all. Be it level 1 or 7, I get into such a habbit of preforming the same set of moves over and over again against them that, when I get into a competetive situation, I often perform the same moves, the opponet catches on and dodges, and I'm still committed to finishing the attacks and am punished for it. I also have a hard time dodging attacks as, while I can usually see attacks comming, that last synapse doesn't fire just right and I tend to take the attack rather than get a good distance away and punish. Even when it's a near combo situation, I always take the attacks leading to *insert deady finishing move here*, and if I have yet to die am edgeguarded to my death. And thats in addition to smarter-than-button-mashing-but-nowhere-near-in-control-of-anything knowledge of even my best characters....

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well Kishin, other thing I can think of is that the CPU dashed in one direction then walked in the other one immediately, thus hearing the sound effect of a dash but watching a walk.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Oh, a slight error of enunciation on my end; I was referring to all attacks in general (I've been spammed by Ike Fair, Luigi Nado, and PSI attacks on numerous occasions.) I'm thinking that I need to study MUs and gain experience on bad MUs by Brawling a lot?
If you want to punish an attack just avoid its strong point and attack the weak point.

For Sonic's upB > Dair I'd say the weak point is that while in his Dair Sonic can't control anything until he lands, and since Dair has no horizontal range you just have to space when you see him do his up B and punish the Dair with a move with good horizontal range just before he touches the ground.

So yes, what you need is matchup experience.

@Kishin : vid plz.

Kishin

Smash Ace
That wasn't it. I've been unsuccessful in recreating it myself. The only thing I could think of was it being a dash cancel into a walk in the opposite direction but I'm not even sure if that's possible. I'll try and get a vid up.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I just realized I know what you're talking about because I already did it.

The CPU just cancelled a dashdance into a walk.

It's also possible to do it with a jab, a tilt, a smash (stutter step) or a taunt but the walk is the hardest.

It seems you have to input "->" the initial dash then buffer "<-" the opposite dash (which would create the dashdance) then let go and hold "<-" slightly to input the walk, which is crazy hard to do because the initial dash only lasts a few frames.

Sorry if I'm not clear but I don't fully understand the mechanism behind this "AT".

Jane

Smash Hero
everyones best character is meta knight :chuckle:

if you mean, find the character that bests suits you, or the character youll feel the most comfortable with, you just have to keep playing other people with different characters until you find "the one"

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Mash every single button really fast.
Really really fast.

Actually Scabe, ask Luke to teach you. When we were staying with Havok in San Diego they taught us their super secret Break tech, rofl.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
lol

rotate the control stick.

in one motion flick cstick, press all the face buttons. Add R L and Z if you have the fingers for it.

All diagonals are one input, each button is an input. You can buffer inputs.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
If it happened more than once or on the last stock of a set, you'd probably get DQ'd (and deserve it).

Otherwise, I'd bet the TO would let it fly unless you were being a total ***** in addition to your 'accidental' pause.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
I can't stand that intentional pausing mess against IC's. It's just bad sportsmanship. At the last tourney I went to it happened in two out of four sets.

On that note, I am working really hard on my IC's and finding it to be incredibly rewarding in terms of power. Even still, I feel as if they are underrepresented, and should be winning more events. What do you think lends to their lack of success?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I can't stand that intentional pausing mess against IC's. It's just bad sportsmanship. At the last tourney I went to it happened in two out of four sets.

On that note, I am working really hard on my IC's and finding it to be incredibly rewarding in terms of power. Even still, I feel as if they are underrepresented, and should be winning more events. What do you think lends to their lack of success?
A couple of things I think.

1. An abnormal character

When you think Brawl, you think two characters using their individual movesets to tack damage each other til one of them loses.

When Ice Climbers comes in, you have a very different goal. You're trying to lock them for an infinite series of technically precise inputs. As IC's, once you get that grab, the only opponent you should be worried about is your own technical ability.

Ice Climbers are different. There's two of them, they chaingrab in a way that's entirely different to other characters who can, they desync, a concept foreign to nearly every other character (I believe Olimar can desync pikmin?)

It's things like this that make certain characters somewhat unpopular down the middle order. Ice Climbers takes work to learn, Diddy takes work to learn, Olimar takes work to learn. They are all abnormal characters with unnatural strategies. It's not like the manual tells you to Dribble with bananas. Nobody likes being edgehogged because tethers suck.

All of these characters are underrepresented for reasons like this. Genesis had only about 10 Diddy's in the bracket (myself being one of them lol). Ridiculous really considering how good Diddy is. The situation is still the same today.

2. Social stigma

And people don't like to be 'that guy' who wins by exploiting chain grab infinites. Granted, people also love the satisfaction of pulling off a textbook hobble, and other people can appreciate it since it's just a part of the game, but yeah, there's always that.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The rules are pretty specific though. Forfeit a stock/the game if you pause the game without valid reason.

It's a grey area, so it needs to be handled case by case.

That's another thing. What TO's write down as the rules and what TO's do at tournaments are two very different things.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm looking for a formula that calculates the total amount of time you spend in a grab. It would look something like amount of time = base + damage - inputs

I remember a while back someone was doing something about it, but I think that forumla was proved to be wrong. I'm also looking for how many frames an input takes off a grab. I vaguely remember 4 for A for all inputs bar cstick which was 6 or something.

If anyone remembers anything about it, I'd like to know :)

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
The system works.

Just in case anyone cares.

Time spent in grab = 90 + (1.7 * damage) - (frames taken off by inputs)
You also have to consider the minimum amount of frames you will need for the inputs.

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
This question is extremely unrelated to smash, but I'll ask it anyway.:bee:

When one wins a tournament, what does their placing/total of attendees equal? Again really irrelevant, just want your thoughs. :laugh:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
New additions!

"Smash School" by Vrael
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243706
A thread aimed at newer players. This thread gets new players in contact with people whom can 'teach' them about the character they would like to learn.

"Internal Character Mechanics Valukes" by Amazing Ampharos
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244329
A comprehensive rating list of the 11 most significant attributes in each character. A must read.

"Smash Lab Standard Terms List" by SCOTU
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227773
Auto-Cancel? Hitstun? What do these terms mean? SCOTU and the former 'Smash Lab' members came up with a rigid list of definitions for many terms relating to Brawl and Smash in general.

"Visible Offensive Collision Bubble PSA Archive" by AMKalmar
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255290
A directory of files that can be used with 'Hacked' Wii's that allow players to view the actual range of attack hitboxes. Another similar thread is found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256398

"A Complete Guide to DI and Survival" by swordgard
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969
What is DI and how do I do it? This is a comprehensive guide to just that - an essential skill for all top level smashers to learn.

Jane

Smash Hero
does everyone have a dacus? if not, could someone point me in the direction of a list of all characters with a dacus?

Top Bottom