• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Beta Elements List-First Post Majorly Updated 7/26/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
[Sorry for bump] Diddy Kong's down special has two unused SubActions - both with "laugh" in their names. Perhaps he was supposed to laugh when an enemy slipped? It was probably bad for his gameplay though.

Chepe

Smash Lord
[Sorry for bump] Diddy Kong's down special has two unused SubActions - both with "laugh" in their names. Perhaps he was supposed to laugh when an enemy slipped? It was probably bad for his gameplay though.
Diddy Kong's Down B was originally going to be a move that swapped places with Dixie Kong, Sakurai confirmed. They were going to be a different take on the Ice Climbers gig. Perhaps they would have laughed when they switched places?

Anyway, I for one will always believe that Pra_Mai is supposed to be Plusle and Minun just because a Pichu character file doesn't exist anywhere. It is my belief that Plusle and Minun started off as a Pichu duo that worked just like the Ice Climbers. Then a few weeks/months later they decided to include Trainer and so they scrapped P&M.

Does anyone remember the user Nyasenya? Well, he/she claimed to have insider info on Brawl's development through a friend and divulged many tidbits, all except for one which were proven true. This included Snake's landmine change which Nya claimed months before the Dojo changed the picture (Nya said that a group had complained to Sakurai's team about the move and wanted them to remove it), that Olimar had a "Pikmin whip" that connected them all together (Up B), that "Toon Link" was a playable character (at a time when everyone called him "Cel Link"), that Sonic was going to be revealed the week that was coming up (and he was revealed that week indeed), and more.

I said that one was never proven true, and that was because it concerned a possible beta element. Nya said that Peach's design in early development was quite risque compared to what we got. I recall Nya saying that she wore a mini-skirt, for one. He/she even said that they might not have gotten away with an E rating if they had kept the design. Of course, this is something that will probably never be proven...

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
He also got infracted for that post which is now gone (curious what it all said, out of my room so I can't do anything about it). I feel kinda bad for him, but remember the times. A lot of people were just making stuff up, and he had no evidence that he was legitimate. If you have real information you want to leak to the public, just posting about it and saying "you have to choose to believe me" is dumb. Generally the best strategy is to make a really specific claim that wouldn't really be predictable. The SSFIV leak is a good example; it predicted Dhalsim would have a second ultra called "Yoga Shangri'la". When Capcom announced Yoga Shangri'la, the whole rumor was pretty much confirmed true since you don't guess something like that. Even something small like detailing some goofy item that was being added to Brawl would have worked for that purpose... Just aggressively claiming you're telling the truth with no good reason anyone should believe you helps no one in those kinds of situations.

There really aren't many unused elements in Brawl as far as I can tell. Stuff from the trailers is just in-development stuff and likely represents incomplete behavior rather than previously intended behavior. Actually in the game, you have a few spare textures and maybe an unused subaction or animation here and there. All the "beta" files (like anything related to Mewtwo, for instance) are empty so it's not like there's any evidence he was considered to be in the game far after they set up the basic file structure (which could very well be the first week of development for all we know). There's certainly no evidence any actual work was done on these characters.

Diddy and Dixie switching with down special sounds a lot more like Zelda & Sheik than Ice Climbers to me, just saying...

Also, fun detail I don't know if anyone has pointed out. In the internal song list, once you get to the victory themes, there are duplicate (and unused) versions of most of them. In fact, they're arranged in roughly the internal order of the characters as though they were going to be unique per character (I don't think character specific victory themes being originally intended is uncommon knowledge). However, the numbers don't quite add up. There are only two for Star Fox (the one that "would be" for Wolf is missing), and near the end there's an extra one for both Pokemon and Fire Emblem. I should stress all the duplicates are unused, and they are all actually duplicates and not subtly different. It's still interesting though. I bumped into this while exploring hacked music on stages.

Also, just in case anyone is unclear on it at all, none of the music discussed in the OP exists on the game disc. All the so called "unused" tracks are not on the disc (merely their names exist internally), and there's no evidence they were ever composed or recorded for Brawl. In the memory locations corresponding to them, there's usually silence, but there are a few oddball exceptions. The Master Hand version of Final Destination's music (with the intro being different to accommodate his intro) is over one of them (over Great Bay's music if I recall), and one of the "unused" Yoshi tracks is a duplicate of a Yoshi track already in the game.

Chepe

Smash Lord
There really aren't many unused elements in Brawl as far as I can tell. Stuff from the trailers is just in-development stuff and likely represents incomplete behavior rather than previously intended behavior. Actually in the game, you have a few spare textures and maybe an unused subaction or animation here and there. All the "beta" files (like anything related to Mewtwo, for instance) are empty so it's not like there's any evidence he was considered to be in the game far after they set up the basic file structure (which could very well be the first week of development for all we know). There's certainly no evidence any actual work was done on these characters.
Well, with Mewtwo and Roy both having a file for a character select screen call and Mewtwo having a Classic mode intro file, it's easy to deduce that these two characters were in the game for a while before getting scrapped.

Diddy and Dixie switching with down special sounds a lot more like Zelda & Sheik than Ice Climbers to me, just saying...
Only Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong would both always be on the screen fighting at the same time. The move would only switch their positions (likely for a few move changes and such) just like in the DKC games, so it's a bit of both.

Where did he confirm that? o.o
In Famitsu: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144627

I also believe that Diddy's Side B might have once been a move where one Kong threw the other like in DKC2. The animation for Diddy's Side B fits nicely with that guess...

Zoinkslls

Smash Apprentice

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
This was stated before. It was true for most characters, including snake, actually.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
i have a question is the mewtwo classic mode ending thing an actual ending pic or just an empty file for it also by reading some of these beta elements brawl seems like it was going to be an alot more mature game and that slipbrawl wifi brawl seems cool is there a way for that to be hacked back in along with wifi boss battles lastly the whole animated trophy thing seems like it would be kinda like the original smash where they had the charcter doing random animations is there any way to salvage these back into brawl also fox and falcos exploding guns seemed like a way to stop a player from spaming the blaster

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
I was reading one of the SSBM previews in an old nintendo power magazine and it described the Adventure mode being a little more similar to what it is now, I wish I could find it now though. If someone wants to look for it thatd be cool.

Can't blame the mods for what they posted. There were hundreds (possibly thousands) of fake leeks before the games release. I'll remember some here for an example:
-The ability to stream music from your SD Card and a power up from super paper mario (FAKE)
-2 nude girls restling in the mud in a picture entitled "Bidoof" (fake. women don't play pokemon!)
-A Blue NES character was to be revealed one Friday (fake)
-A picture of shiny charizard (fa...real? The picture did show final destination for one of the first few times, iirc. It was posted on brawl central back in January before the games release, but brawl central has no archieve. :( )
-A picture of the ancient minister with R.O.B.'s outline over it
-The actual roster
-The most disgusting image of my life

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
Falco: Falco has an unused animation of his blaster exploding or misfiring. It could be either, but since Fox has it and Wolf, the only one of the Star Fox Trio who puts his blaster away at the end of his animation, does not, it is believed to be the blaster exploding.

Fox: has an unused animation of his blaster exploding or misfiring. It could be either, but since Fox has it and Wolf, the only one of the Star Fox Trio who puts his blaster away at the end of his animation, does not, it is believed to be the blaster exploding. Also, Fox was originally supposed to hold on to his blaster at all times, as shown in the second brawl trailer.
Exploding I doubt, misfiring unlikely. It looks like they cannot find the gun, because first they do the normal pulling out gun animation, and then start looking around wildly.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I guess I'll give you what I've got as well.

There's an unknown wifi mode called the Brawl Slipspace in which there is only one player slot (as opposed to the standard four for other people to join in at) and a time amount that you can set at the top. The title of the mode (at the top) is "An (X) minute beat 'em up" and the description of the mode (at the menu) is "set your time and enter the Brawl Slipspace"

I have theorized that the mode would be something as follows:

-You enter the match alone.
-Other combatants will enter and battle with you.
-When the other combatants run out of time, they exit the match while newer combatants join to take their place.
-Likewise, if your time runs out, you exit the match only to return to the CSS and begin in a new match.

Thus, the mode would be based around beating up random contestants for a set duration of time - slipping in and out of the battle as you go.

There was also a Boss Battle wifi mode...
I would love to see this idea in the game. The problem with it (and the reason it was probably removed) is Brawl's online isn't good enough to do this. It would require the game to find a match almost immediately, something it can't do very well. It could be in the next game.

That taunt for MK needs to be used somewhere...

While looking through the common_5.pac, I found a character stock image of Giga Bowser labeled "BOSS 1". It's InfStc.991 under Misc Data 90 if anyone wants take a guess. No idea what that was for, except as a dummy for boss stocks like they used to have for the Hands.

There were also quite a few empty CSS images and in-combat names, likely for the removed characters. If you look through the files, it appears unused characters were numbered 20, 35, 39, 42, and 44, as the files for stocks are there but they have no content. 41 is interesting because it isn't there but is skipped over. Also , these numbers have other corresponding omissions elsewhere, but with slightly different numbering.

EDIT: Looking again, there are also a bunch of empty images interspersed with Ness's stock images. Again, I have no clue what that means, although that is the only character where it happens.
Probably some of the cut characters. Dr. Mario, Metwtwo, Roy, Dixie, Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik (5+1 as Sonic would have taken one of the six slots).

Question though: Any change you can put which characters fall into what numbers. The ones that are in the final game of course.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Exploding I doubt, misfiring unlikely. It looks like they cannot find the gun, because first they do the normal pulling out gun animation, and then start looking around wildly.
You're probably right! Remember how Fox used to hold his blaster while moving around in an old trailer? Perhaps Fox used to pull out his blaster with B and hold it for a while, during which someone could knock it off his hand. Pressing B after that would initiate the animation until he grabbed it again or after waiting for a while for the game to give it back to you.

There's already an animation and mechanism like that in the game. It is Wario's Side B when the bike is out of reach or gone...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Oh, something I remember hearing, but I'm not sure if it's true. I heard that Onix was planned to be a pokeball pokemon and Rosalina was an AT. Is any of that true?

mastromjm

Smash Cadet
I read somewhere that Wolf, Jigglypuff, and Toon Link were added late into the game's development process. There is a lot supporting it, such as them not appearing in Subspace, Toon Link being a clone, Wolf being a semi-clone, and Jigglypuff being a holdover from Melee, and that they are near last in the order of characters during the roll call and other things, and Jigglypuff not being placed with the veterans of Super Smash Bros. Does anything else support this claim?

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Oh, something I remember hearing, but I'm not sure if it's true. I heard that Onix was planned to be a pokeball pokemon and Rosalina was an AT. Is any of that true?
There's no Galaxy references whatsoever in Brawl, so I doubt it. I think Brawl was too far into development when Galaxy was released for that.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I read somewhere that Wolf, Jigglypuff, and Toon Link were added late into the game's development process. There is a lot supporting it, such as them not appearing in Subspace, Toon Link being a clone, Wolf being a semi-clone, and Jigglypuff being a holdover from Melee, and that they are near last in the order of characters during the roll call and other things, and Jigglypuff not being placed with the veterans of Super Smash Bros. Does anything else support this claim?
As far as I have seen, not really. The only other thing is Wolf does not have a file for his unique victory theme where everyone else (including Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Roy and Mewtwo) have one. Sakurai has sad that every character was added in in 2005/2006 sans Sonic, so it's hard to tell.

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
Here's some things from Unseen64 that I and some others found:
# Fox’s animation had him holding a gun, instead of moving his hands as if he was drinking something like tea.
# Shadow Moses Island had an outside part of it, too- it had a great view of the mountains and some white platforms.
# Ridley was an Assist Trophy, not a boss
# During Brawl’s development, the graphics were going to be a little better than they are in the final (More polygons)
# During the time, Mario used his Super Mario Sunshine voices before the new recordings with Link using voices directly from Twilight Princess (No, SSBB and TP’s Voice Recordings Are Different)
# All Characters, Including more, were done by E3 2006 (Said in Iwata Asks)
# Blade Knight, Bonkers, and Mech Cannon were found as unused enemies. (Possibly left over from the Kirby game)
# 38 Extra trophies were found in the disc data.
# In Delfino Plaza, it was possible to fight on the beach area beside the lighthouse. (Shown in “Sonic Joins the Brawl!” Promo)
#Mario’s Colors were darker in the beta http://www.super-smash-brothers-bra...r-smash-bros-brawl-desktop-mario-1024×768.jpg
#Sound effects were different (ex. Link’s Down Air in E3 2006 made a weird sound when it hit Mario)
#Link’s Up Special worked as it did in Melee- there was no charge.
#At Mario Kart, all shy guys drove white karts.
#Zero Suit Samus had sound effects when pressing buttons on her gun as if it were a taunt.
#In the Fall 2007 Trailer, Snake came out of his box facing the front. This cold have been a beta intro, or just for the video.
#In E3 2006, the beginning of the Halberd level was darker and had less scenery

BETA
ef_arrians.pac
ef_bladeknight.pac (Blade Knight)
ef_blossa.pac
ef_blowm.pac
ef_bonkers.pac (Bonkers)
ef_brontoburt.pac (Bronto Burt)
ef_byushi.pac
ef_dyeburn.pac
ef_gunnatter.pac
ef_karon.pac (Dry Bones)
ef_kyan.pac
ef_met.pac (Buzy Beetle)
ef_ploum.pac
ef_siralamos.pac (Possibly the giant fish at Summit)
ef_torista.pac
ef_whauel.pac (Could be an unused whale enemy)
ef_wiiems.pac

UberMario

Smash Master
They also had a video of some the sound effects, interestingly it seems ROB was going to sound like an 8-Bit game, rather than a mechanical robot like in the final. The characters were also apparently going to yelp when they got critically smashed (like in 64 and Melee), no clue why they'd get rid of that since it seems kind of unusual for a character to be smashed upwards and be totally silent about it . . . .

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if NeonTogepi is still around to update this, but yeah.

- Zero Suit Samus's Side-B whip was originally intended to grab items and throw them.

- Wolf has complete animations for a rapid kick jab like Fox.

- Samus has an unused firing animation.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Voice acting was done when the game was closer to final, or at least when they had th character roster finalized.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Just updated it majorly.
I plan on updating the format soon and likely adding pictures at the end.

UberMario

Smash Master
If anyone has an image of the hurt Plusle & Minun eyes I'd love to see it, also you should probably post the pics for Marth, Ike, and Meta Knight's damaged swords, I've seen them before, but I don't remember where . . . .

Also, Fox and Falco have unused animations where they look behind them in both directions while taking out their gun (as in they take it out of their holders, the animation doesn't start with them out so this is later than the "gun-out-at-all-times" beta. (They act like they hear something flying from above, here is the link to the video for proof . )

EDIT: On second thought, these might actually be the beta misfire, it doesn't explode, but they shoot and act all surprised when nothing happens. Honestly glad they scrapped misfires to be honest.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Like someone has said before, but trophies are ALL from other games, thats why Plusle and Minun have eye textures.

The two "hidden stages" mentioned in the OP, tbreak and charroll are Break the Targets and the Character Roll (the credits with all the character portraits)

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
Like someone has said before, but trophies are ALL from other games, thats why Plusle and Minun have eye textures.

The two "hidden stages" mentioned in the OP, tbreak and charroll are Break the Targets and the Character Roll (the credits with all the character portraits)
...this is why I shouldn't do stuff at 4 a.m.
Anyways, there were loads of gameplay videos during a public beta (this was actually how most the final smashes were learned) during the fall from before the games release. Using these videos, I'm sure we could find a lot of info. Anyone wanna gather them up and compare them? I'm honestly not too big of a Smash Bros. player anymore and wouldn't likely notice many of the differences.

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
Someone needs to add proof links to this entire thing.

Theres a bunch of stuff that is wrong!
I has proofs. =3

Samus's unused missile animations [found by dingoberriz]

Wolf's rapid kicks [in Project M]

ZSS's whip item grab

UberMario

Smash Master
It'd be easier to see the animations if, you know, the pictures were animated. lol

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
To bad an ISO of a demo was never leaked, otherwise we would may know more of the game.
It is too bad, and while it easily could-considering how several other game betas, including a beta of the English version of Mother 1, from what I understand, have leaked-it likely never will happen.

From what I heard, Sonic was added in at the end of June 2007. That could have been just a rumor, and it was at that time, but iirc I remember around the release of Brawl that it was confirmed, but I can't remember quiet where.

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
Sonic was announced October 2007 if that's what you didn't remember.
I took a look at those videos from the public betas, NeonTogepi.

Gamespot Preview 2007
-Mugshots were bigger. Possibly just for the demo.
-Mario's colors seemed to be darker
-No background effects in the character select screen.

E for All Demo
-Cracker Launcher explosions looked more like Fireworks.
-Screen shake seems to be very little. It may not be there at all.

Not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom