• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Brave' New Character (datamined)

D

Deleted member

One thing I have trouble reconciling is general with the stats is a character that's short like Ness, but is heavy.
No way they're making Sora as heavy as (well heavier than) Cloud.

Megaman is heavy too but he's a robot. So what kind of character is this?
101 is not "heavy".
That's slightly above middle weight.

Mario is always designed to be the "average", and "Brave" is only slightly heavier than Mario.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
101 is not "heavy".
That's slightly above middle weight.

Mario is always designed to be the "average", and "Brave" is only slightly heavier than Mario.
hey semantics. there's not that many characters upwards of 100, so i dont use mario for the balance point.
Also, Most of the characters I play are lightweight, so to me it's pretty heavy. ;)

D

Deleted member

hey semantics. there's not that many characters upwards of 100, so i dont use mario for the balance point.
Also, Most of the characters I play are lightweight, so to me it's pretty heavy. ;)
Mario can fall fairly fast for someone his height. While it's usually preferred to call him the all-round character, he really is just a fast brawler type that can get in and wreck your day with a couple of moves. Weight could mean something in the Brave discussion.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mario can fall fairly fast for someone his height. While it's usually preferred to call him the all-round character, he really is just a fast brawler type that can get in and wreck your day with a couple of moves. Weight could mean something in the Brave discussion.
Mario and ken did show up quite a few times in terms of brave's stats, so it's entirely possible that it's a brawler. I really think we know dont quite enough right now tho. My gut says it's not a brawler, but i dunno.

I'm curious how Joker will fight. If he'll really use daggers that much or what.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I've come to the perfect conclusion to put the brave debate to rest:

It's Sandbag.

Wait, don't go! Hear me out!

- He's floaty, while also a bit heavy. He's a sack of potatoes, but he's made with fabric and stuffing. To be both a bit floaty, albeit a heavier fast-faller, would make sense for a Sandbag.
- The stats are similar to zoners and brawlers. He could easily be a brawler, getting up-close and personal with his body.
- He slides a bit. He's always done that in every Smash game. He has a bit of a slide-y sense of physics to him.
- A bit smaller than Mario? Maybe in terms of his eyes, yes, but then the top of his head doesn't count towards that metric, making his actual scale somewhat taller. It would fit.
- The codename? He's very brave. Look at all the hell he goes through without cowering or fleeing. After all, he is Sandbag. You have to be brave to be a Sandbag.

I've cracked the code. You're welcome.

:4pacman:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It's Sandbag.

- He's floaty, while also a bit heavy. He's a sack of potatoes, but he's made with fabric and stuffing. To be both a bit floaty, albeit a heavier fast-faller, would make sense for a Sandbag.
- The stats are similar to zoners and brawlers. He could easily be a brawler, getting up-close and personal with his body.
- He slides a bit. He's always done that in every Smash game. He has a bit of a slide-y sense of physics to him.
- A bit smaller than Mario? Maybe in terms of his eyes, yes, but then the top of his head doesn't count towards that metric, making his actual scale somewhat taller. It would fit.
- The codename? He's very brave. Look at all the hell he goes through without cowering or fleeing. After all, he is Sandbag. You have to be brave to be a Sandbag.

I know you jest, but
I'm pretty sure the top of the head thing with height mostly matters for hurtboxes. Could be wrong tho. Does Ridley take damage if he's hit on the wings?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

uggggghhhh

I watched the new PapaGeno video on who Brave could be and the Banjo theory at 18:53 has me gritting my teeth in apprehension. I'm sure this was discussed before but I'll say it anyways. To sum it up, the code names could just be words that have starting letters similar to the character's starting letter. J with Joker and Jack and P for Paku and Piranha. B would line up with Brave and Banjo.

Then how his floaty jump but mid-heavy weight fit together. His height, slide, and lack of a wall jump correlate well with his original games, too.

We already can assume Microsoft content is going to be in the game. Vergeben has been hyping Minecraft content for some time and then there were those spirits we found in the game files related to Blast Corp and Jet Force Gemini. Nintendo now has better working relations with Microsoft, too, so it's not unlikely to cut a deal.

God I just want Banjo. Damn stats making me consider multiple possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XATpAWURmU

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It's Sandbag.

Okay, but how would he grab anything without any hands, mouth, or anything else?

uggggghhhh

I watched the new PapaGeno video on who Brave could be and the Banjo theory at 18:53 has me gritting my teeth in apprehension. I'm sure this was discussed before but I'll say it anyways. To sum it up, the code names could just be words that have starting letters similar to the character's starting letter. J with Joker and Jack and P for Paku and Piranha. B would line up with Brave and Banjo.

Then how his floaty jump but mid-heavy weight fit together. His height, slide, and lack of a wall jump correlate well with his original games, too.

We already can assume Microsoft content is going to be in the game. Vergeben has been hyping Minecraft content for some time and then there were those spirits we found in the game files related to Blast Corp and Jet Force Gemini. Nintendo now has better working relations with Microsoft, too, so it's not unlikely to cut a deal.

God I just want Banjo. Damn stats making me consider multiple possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XATpAWURmU
However, it could also be B for Bub. Be wary of that possibility.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

However, it could also be B for Bub. Be wary of that possibility.
There's not enough evidence yet naturally. The logic does border on stretch. I just hate how I've now made him the fourth likely Brave character in my mind.

D

Deleted member

Out of curiosity, has anyone checked "Jack" stats already? Im curious about how Joker is supposed to play, think his heighr is supposed to be around Luigi size.

D

Deleted member

Except it's not a codename. The plant's name in Japanese is Pakkun Flower.
Jack for Joker is what throws me off with the name speculation. I'm trying to see what logic there is for choosing the names they did.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Out of curiosity, has anyone checked "Jack" stats already? Im curious about how Joker is supposed to play, think his heighr is supposed to be around Luigi size.
I dont see how he could be that short. Well, I'd be curious to see the stats too.

All I know is this: "
Joker:
  • Run Speed: 2.21
Joker gets the #9 fastest run speed in the game! Just outplacing Charizard and Ridley (2.2) by a mere 0.01.

• Weight: 89
This will put him at #54 sharing the spot with Daisy and Peach, making him a lightweight. Don´t be discouraged though! This is normal for fast characters, and he actually has priviledge in this case since every character above him in Run Speed (except Captain Falcon) is lighter than him.

• Air Acceleration: 0.085
Sharing spot #30 with ROB, which is still very good.

• Air Speed: 1.2
Placing #17, above G&W (1.176) and just below Mario, Sonic, Little Mac, DK and Inkling (1.208).

"

D

Deleted member

theyre both types of cards perhaps?
Well the popular interpretation is that Jack is referencing Jack Frost from Shin Megami Tensei and Persona. Jack Frost is virtually Atlas' mascot.

So my question is why codename Joker but give Piranha Plant a Japanese nickname? It makes the name Brave too confusing to analyze anything of worth other than a narrow list of Square candidates and the circumstantial evidence for candidates like Erdrick and Banjo.

H0L0CENE

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5048-8462-1228
theyre both types of cards perhaps?
I think it's because Jack Frost is kinda the mascot of the Megami Tensei series, therefore the Persona series.

Edit: Oof, Bolderousness beat me to it by like 5 seconds

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well the popular interpretation is that Jack is referencing Jack Frost from Shin Megami Tensei and Persona. Jack Frost is virtually Atlas' mascot.

So my question is why codename Joker Joker but give Piranha Plant a Japanese nickname? It makes the name Brave too confusing to analyze anything of worth other than a narrow list of Square candidates and the circumstantial evidence for candidates like Erdrick and Banjo.
Piranha plant was revealed so they didn't need a codename. Joker wasnt, so 'jack' is vague enough.
PPlant is called Pakku or Pakkun.

D

Deleted member

Piranha plant was revealed so they didn't need a codename. Joker wasnt, so 'jack' is vague enough.
PPlant is called Pakku or Pakkun.
Was Jack found in files before the Video Game Awards?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Can't get any simpler than that I guess. Okay. I feel your logic lines up and we just don't have enough evidence to guess who Brave is.
Yeah in hindsight 'jack' makes a lot of sense. But back then we'd had no idea.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

So my question is why codename Joker but give Piranha Plant a Japanese nickname? It makes the name Brave too confusing to analyze anything of worth other than a narrow list of Square candidates and the circumstantial evidence for candidates like Erdrick and Banjo.
That's the bloody point of codenames — to obfuscate the identity of the individuals they're applied to.

volbound1700

Smash Master
(Just Opinion) - I think it is Sora. The way that it is floaty and has the aerial sword round house attacks fits well with Sora's moveset and style in Kingdom Hearts. Sora is a bigger splash than Erdrick as well. Square-Enix is very good at pointing people one way (Erdrick) and sending them another.

However, I wouldn't mind Erdrick as well. Other options are Banjo, Geno, etc. We really don't know enough about the character to be 100% sure about anything.

D

Deleted member

Made this gif, remembered this scene and it seems a bit appropriate since I believe we've at some point done this:
(Should've added something like evidence, leakers or something but whatever)
codename_data_speculation.gif

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What if Sakurai really does like DQBuilders enough to put them in the game? :O :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I think it's because Jack Frost is kinda the mascot of the Megami Tensei series, therefore the Persona series.

Edit: Oof, Bolderousness beat me to it by like 5 seconds
in fairness i know next to nothing about the series

D

Deleted member

It's Sandbag.

After Piranha Plant I would seriously not at all be surprised if Sandbag is playable

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
So here's my thinking. It's gonna be Agnes.

• Main reasoning for Erdrick is leakers, which aren't 100% reliable even when they are 100% confident, which they aren't here
  • She's the only one where the codename isn't a giant ****ing stretch
  • As a mage-coded character, it makes sense they'd make her very floaty in gameplay
  • Very relevant with a new game coming out nintendo will likely want to push due to the success of her series on the 3ds.
She's the only one where it feels like everything fits, imo. Then again, I'm also biased. Huge bravely fan here.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think they would do that. More people are familiar with regular Dragon Quest than DQ Builders.
I don't think nintendo only relies on what's most popular. I think that so long as there's a slime or things like that in the moveset it can rep DQ.
Also, the heroes change every game anyway, so i think it's ok.

DQ Builder characters are short, so it would fit the height stat, and I could picture the rest of the stats too. The tools and all the tinkering stuff could work for the weight.
And they're stil DQl heroes, so the codename would work ;P

Also, DQB2 is coming to the switch in february too.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So here's my thinking. It's gonna be Agnes.

• Main reasoning for Erdrick is leakers, which aren't 100% reliable even when they are 100% confident, which they aren't here
  • She's the only one where the codename isn't a giant ****ing stretch
  • As a mage-coded character, it makes sense they'd make her very floaty in gameplay
  • Very relevant with a new game coming out nintendo will likely want to push due to the success of her series on the 3ds.
She's the only one where it feels like everything fits, imo. Then again, I'm also biased. Huge bravely fan here.
I feel like she's more likely than the DQ guy TBH

Top Bottom