• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Brave' New Character (datamined)

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
What if Brave is Hollow Knight and he is revealed at the Nindies showcase?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
They want eyes on reveals, a Nindies showcase does not have eyes.
It has two I's though.

But yes, Unless they make a lot of noise over a Nindies Showcase, trying to get people to see it (even if that meant actively telling people there would be Smash News)...but then people would just be watching for said Smash News. Good, possibly, but it takes away from the showcase itself.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They want eyes on reveals, a Nindies showcase does not have eyes.
They sure aren't going to have any now, after the stunt they pulled with Into the Breach. I'll do the smart thing and just check NL for any articles regarding indies that might be somewhat interesting.

Also, in regards to this time around, why on Earth would you show a Nindies event during the start of working job hours??

Last edited:

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
The female 'alts' could also be the return of Rex/Pyra/Mythra. If we get one 1st party character, why wouldn't it be a character that just missed the main project window?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I made this who I think the brave character isView attachment 188045
Honestly without saying anything about the actual content, the formatting isn't great. Wall of text followed by two pictures on a black background isn't very eye catching and the inconsistent capitalization and punctuation don't help the wall of text feel any easier to tackle. If you are really wanting to get people's attention you should probably space out the text better with pictures showing the things you're talking about (height comparisons or things like that) and probably try to cut out some of the text entirely.

On to the content I don't agree with your conclusion but you're entitled to your opinion.

D

Deleted member

People could laugh at you for saying brave is a zoner. The theory is flawed.
Nice hustle, I guess, but incredibly biased, and I don't like it.
Uhhh teeb? Is something wrong? You seem to act like one of those haters:(

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Uhhh teeb? Is something wrong? You seem to act like one of those haters:(
I'm not going to insult you or anything. There's a big difference between dislking something and being hateful on someone. I don't like what you made there, because it's way too biased and doesn't really help for anything.

If it was to support a character that'd be different, but that's not what you're doing, because you're just making up a belief that brave is geno.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Reminder that Brave could be neither Eddy nor Geno. Keep an open mind about this possibility.

Woah what's this now? I just got that game and I'm enjoying it, was there something wrong with it?
Nah, they just did the "one more thing" Nintendo Directs are known for at the end of the Nindies before revealing the port.

For some people, it was an anti-climax, regardless whether they assumed anything Smash or not.

They meant Nintendo-related events that aren't regular Directs, not the VGAs.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Let's be real, Brave could be freaking anyone, so no one should put all their eggs in one basket.

Except Pingu, who is an SE rep, is very likely.

I am putting my eggs in the Pingu basket.

#TeamBravePenguins :4pacman:

But no, seriously, people shouldn't get their hopes up either which way. Anything is possible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's be real, Brave could be freaking anyone, so no one should put all their eggs in one basket.

Except Pingu, who is an SE rep, is very likely.

I am putting my eggs in the Pingu basket.

#TeamBravePenguins :4pacman:

But no, seriously, people shouldn't get their hopes up either which way. Anything is possible.
It gets me that they actually made a Pingu game, yet that wasn't exported (like the other Pingu games). Go figure.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Since this is about Brave, I'll quote my post on the stats here:
Alright so let's actually just look at these Brave stats.

Brave
Run Speed: 1.74
Weight: 101
Air Speed: 1.14
Air Acceleration: 0.055
Other stats: ? (if someone wants to find more)

Let's look who's around those stats :
(around 6-7 chracters on both sides)

Run Speed
Rosalina (1.79), Duck Hunt (1.79), Mario (1.76), Ken (1.76), Bayonetta (1.76), Squirtle (1.76), Young Link (1.74), Kirby (1.723), R.O.B. (1.725), Lucario (1.705), Nana (1.68), Mr. Game & Watch (1.68), Shulk (1.67)

Zoners: Duck Hunt, Young Link, Rob?
-> 2 or 3 out of 13 characters

Weight
Yoshi (104), Captain Falcon (104), Mii Gunner (104), Ken (103), Ryu (103), Mega Man (102), Cloud (100), Swordfighter (100), Corrin (98), Mario (98), Dr Mario (98), Luigi ( 97)

Zoners: Mii Gunner, Mega Man
-> 2 out of 12 characters

Air Speed
Sheik (1.155), Cloud (1.155), Bowser (1.155), Duck Hunt (1.155), Lucas (1.155), Mega Man (1.155), Mii Brawler (1.15), R.O.B. (1.134), Bowser Jr (1.134), Ike (1.134), Ken (1.12), Ryu (1.12), Shulk (1.113), Fox (1.11)

Zoners: Duck Hunt, Mega Man, Rob?
-> 2 or 3 out of 14 characters

I'll stop there for now. I think you get the point. We could do more in other posts. But just to make sure and look at the recurring names and see if there's a pattern on top of that, there's:
Mario (twice), Ken (three times), Mega Man (twice), Cloud (twice), Rob (twice), Shulk (twice), Duck Hunt (twice), Ryu (twice)
-
Ken shows up the most, and other than that there's more non-zoners that recur. (close depending on where you place rob). Im not counting Ryu.

As for the floatiness. I dont think it means overly much, especially based on how the stats are on ike:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

So there you go. If someone wants to look further, be my guest. But I think this is pretty good to tell some things about 'Brave'. And also points out why I think the zoner theory is obviously flawed. There might be some interesting comparisons to make besides that. If you see anything interesting, please bring it up :)

Thanks. & hope this is helpful :)

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Very insightful and detailed. Good to see evidence against the zoner theory because I was wondering if that was just some fan assumption. Thumbs up.

Reasoning?
Kingdom Hearts has very floaty movement matching up to Brave, Sora's Valor Form is called Brave Form in Japan. He makes sense as a mid speed character. Also if you compare Lucas (Almost the same height as Brave) to Cloud in training and compare it to his cameos in Kingdom Hearts, Sora is exactly Brave's height. Also Sora had a pretty decent following in the Smash Ballot at least as far as fan polls are concerned.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kingdom Hearts has very floaty movement matching up to Brave, Sora's Valor Form is called Brave Form in Japan. He makes sense as a mid speed character. Also if you compare Lucas (Almost the same height as Brave) to Cloud in training and compare it to his cameos in Kingdom Hearts, Sora is exactly Brave's height. Also Sora had a pretty decent following in the Smash Ballot at least as far as fan polls are concerned.
Hmm. As someone who thinks Sora is going to get in purely out of Kingdom Hearts 3 being on the horizon, I'm not buying this. Sora is floaty, which is completely accurate to Kingdom Hearts. However, the speed and height can pretty much apply to any character, including Geno and Erdrick. Plus the slide Brave does when coming to a halt is not accurate to Kingdom Hearts.

We really have no idea how height is going to play an effect on these character relative to Smash's roster. I mean, look at Pikachu, who is canonically a foot long, and then compare him to Incineroar who is 5'11''.

From those measurements and then looking at the image I posted, it looks like it'll take three Smash Pikachus to be the height of one Smash Incineroar, so comparing height is not something to take completely serious here.

In terms of fan appeal, can't really say. It just means he has a chance like Geno, who is another competitor with Sora. Plus I never saw the official non-speculated roster results so I cannot take roster appeal seriously. (I don't buy the theory that Bayonetta was not the roster winner as a result.)

And we all know why Brave fits more with Erdrick than it does with Sora. His class literally translate to Brave. Not a debunk against Valor form, but it doesn't make the theory credibly.

Sora is not really confirmed with what we know. Too little to go off of as of now. He's definitely one of, if not, the most relevant fighter out of the seven potential Square Enix candidates so he at least has that. Analyzing the details, we can see how these characters can work, but that doesn't mean they're in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Hmm. As someone who thinks Sora is going to get in purely out of Kingdom Hearts 3 being on the horizon, I'm not buying this. Sora is floaty, which is completely accurate to Kingdom Hearts. However, the speed and height can pretty much apply to any character, including Geno and Erdrick. Plus the slide Brave does when coming to a halt is not accurate to Kingdom Hearts.

We really have no idea how height is going to play an effect on these character relative to Smash's roster. I mean, look at Pikachu, who is canonically a foot long, and then compare him to Incineroar who is 5'11''.

From those measurements and then looking at the image I posted, it looks like it'll take three Smash Pikachus to be the height of one Smash Incineroar, so comparing height is not something to take completely serious here.

In terms of fan appeal, can't really say. It just means he has a chance like Geno, who is another competitor with Sora. Plus I never saw the official non-speculated roster results so I cannot take roster appeal seriously. (I don't buy the theory that Bayonetta was not the roster winner as a result.)

And we all know why Brave fits more with Erdrick than it does with Sora. His class literally translate to Brave.

Sora is not really confirmed with what we know. Too little to go off of as of now. He's definitely one of, if not, the most relevant fighter out of the seven potential Square Enix candidates so he at least has that.
Sora is a very low traction character in his games... a lot of his offensive moves revolve around sliding on the ground or drifting along at high speeds. With some fight cutscenes (like the one with Roxas) he does a slide before reaching the keyblade he lost. There’s also reaction commands in which he incorporates a slide (like reversal)

D

Deleted member

Sora is a very low traction character in his games... a lot of his offensive moves revolve around sliding on the ground or drifting along at high speeds. With some fight cutscenes (like the one with Roxas) he does a slide before reaching the keyblade he lost. There’s also reaction commands in which he incorporates a slide (like reversal)
But that's not due to his normal running speed in-game when not doing crazy three meter long dashes. He stops on a dime when he's just running. Maybe I'm assuming he will be made to run on his two feet and not glide across the ground similar to Cloud, but Sora's floating abilities is more similar to flying or gliding while Cloud's is more stylistic and never comes up in game as a mechanic (according to my knowledge on FF 7).

E: I could very well be overanalyzing physics and mechanics translating into Smash Bros, but I think that's the very issue with this kind of speculation. You really know nothing just because we have stats and saying it can work is not great evidence.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
But that's not due to his normal running speed in-game when not doing crazy three meter long dashes. He stops on a dime when he's just running. Maybe I'm assuming he will be made to run on his two feet and not glide across the ground similar to Cloud, but Sora's floating abilities is more similar to flying or gliding while Cloud's is more stylistic and never comes up in game as a mechanic (according to my knowledge on FF 7).

E: I could very well be overanalyzing physics and mechanics translating into Smash Bros, but I think that's the very issue with this kind of speculation. You really know nothing just because we have stats and saying it can work is not great evidence.
But a slide will be stylised to Sora as it helps represent his mobility on the ground, since he is a character in which attacks with a lot of momentum behind him. A slide helps preserves that momentum

D

Deleted member

But a slide will be stylised to Sora as it helps represent his mobility on the ground, since he is a character in which attacks with a lot of momentum behind him. A slide helps preserves that momentum
Very possible or maybe he'll just slide when coming to a stop in Smash Ultimate. Brave looks fairly speedy and Sora would be sort of small so it could work, yeah.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
Very possible or maybe he'll just slide when coming to a stop in Smash Ultimate. Brave looks fairly speedy and Sora would be sort of small so it could work, yeah.
Sora is the one I want the most... but I could imagine it being Yuri, Kid Erdrick, Slime or even Geno

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sora is the one I want the most... but I could imagine it being Yuri, Kid Erdrick, Slime or even Geno
I think everyone does this, where he want our favorite characters but always expect the other characters to get in. Not kidding, I expect Sora instead of Erdrick or Geno (my most wanted) even though Erdrick technically might have more going for him from an evidence standpoint. Weird right? It's a pattern I always notice in these discussions.

If Sora does get in though, I'll be hype along side you.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think everyone does this, where he want our favorite characters but always expect the other characters to get in. Not kidding, I expect Sora instead of Erdrick or Geno (my most wanted) even though Erdrick technically might have more going for him from an evidence standpoint. Weird right? It's a pattern I always notice in these discussions.

If Sora does get in though, I'll be hype along side you.
I expect none of these characters to get in the second slot. I have a feeling about this, I just can't explain it.

D

Deleted member

I expect none of these characters to get in the second slot. I have a feeling about this, I just can't explain it.
I don't know who's getting in as the second slot. Just thinking about it gets me smiling.

I'm just talking in general. Like how people expect Steve when they really want Banjo.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, considering that there's way more possibilities than just the few we've talked about, it's still pretty possible that it could be someone entirely different.
Erdrick has the most going because of the codename and leaks, but then the height doesn't work at the moment. (the data might change tho)

I don't mind that it's pretty much a surprise. Maybe we have good leads, dunno. :p

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Haha, as much as I'd want Brave to be The Knight from Hollow Knight I'm almost positive it won't be unless the upcoming Hornet project turns out to be a full-fledged sequel or DLC so astonishing Nintendo takes notice (which I doubt).

Anyway, I think Brave is Sora. The height stat seem a bit exaggerated for both kid and adult Erdrick, not to mention promoting DQ in the West again seems like a waste since it rarely works.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Haha, as much as I'd want Brave to be The Knight from Hollow Knight I'm almost positive it won't be unless the upcoming Hornet project turns out to be a full-fledged sequel or DLC so astonishing Nintendo takes notice (which I doubt).

Anyway, I think Brave is Sora. The height stat seem a bit exaggerated for both kid and adult Erdrick, not to mention promoting DQ in the West again seems like a waste since it rarely works.
Well, that's not true, it's still really decent in the west, and DQ11 has been doing a lot better. Obviously not crazy like in japan, but that'd be asking for too much.
And I'm looking to see if anything changes in the future patches, like how piranha plant didn't have the final data at first. But yeah it's hard to tell for now.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Well, that's not true, it's still really decent in the west, and DQ11 has been doing a lot better. Obviously not crazy like in japan, but that'd be asking for too much.
And I'm looking to see if anything changes in the future patches, like how piranha plant didn't have the final data at first. But yeah it's hard to tell for now.
The changes to Piranha Plant were extremely minor and only changed like one stat just a little iirc.

DQ11 sold 3.2 million in Japan, and out of a total of 4 million, I think it's safe to assume that the Americas only got around 650k at best. I'd hardly call it a riveting success, and I guess it's decent, but Erdrick's inclusion would definitely not go well in the West, with 3/4 of the fanbase making it abundantly clear their distaste for "Anime swordfighters".

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The changes to Piranha Plant were extremely minor and only changed like one stat just a little iirc.

DQ11 sold 3.2 million in Japan, and out of a total of 4 million, I think it's safe to assume that the Americas only got around 650k at best. I'd hardly call it a riveting success, and I guess it's decent, but Erdrick's inclusion would definitely not go well in the West, with 3/4 of the fanbase making it abundantly clear their distaste for "Anime swordfighters".
The change to speed wasn't minor. And the characters are at different stages of development Brave's landing data is a copy-paste of joker's right now. So that's why we can't be too sure of the stats yet, but we can still speculate.

We don't need huuuge successes, 650k would be pretty good, but I saw 800k and that was quite a while ago. Pretty sure it's decently bigger now. Even if the numbers are largely japan's, the game is still big, and deserves to be bigger in the west. So I think it's unfair to look at it like a desperate marketing ploy, especially when smash is made in japan too.

Personally I think Erdrick would do awesome in the west, especially looking a bit like goku. People dont dislike anime fighters, there's just too many fire emblem sword users right now. You're really pulling all the stops just to hate on erdrick. I think you're being unfair, and I dont feel like continuing this for now (if you reply more). Try to enjoy what smash has to offer if you can. There's characters I might not like either, but it is what it is, and if they put them in I'm sure there's people who'll like them.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yep got to be dragon quest dude

And as for the other 3

Ryu hayabusa
Doom guy
And Steve (with female and master chief alternates)

I will be very thrilled if that’s the case

Last edited:
Top Bottom