• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'Brave' New Character (datamined)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This thread is to talk about who the new character, after Joker, might be.
The codename datamined from the game was put as 'Brave'.

Here's some info to get started with (thanks geno & SE threads):

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Reddit post on some of the stats:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/acpifr/analyzing_leaked_dlc_character_parameters/

Some first ideas were that it could be a Dragon Quest character, since the name for Hero has similarities in japanese. Another is that it could be a character from Bravely Default. And I present a third idea, for fun, in that it could maybe relate to the pixar movie. (well, could have some connection.). And there was even the idea that it could be Geno, just based on speculation around character data. It's pretty open to interpretation. And it doesn't have to be an SE character.

Enjoy speculating as to who this next character could possibly be :)

More Information:

Raw Character Data (brought up by U Untouch ) :
clip+(2019-01-08+at+07.58.46).jpg
https://puu.sh/CtLjZ.jpg

List of popular guesses for the codename Brave (brought up by Xigger Xigger ):
  • Dragon Quest Hero (Yūsha = Brave = Hero)
  • Sora (Valor form = Brave form)
  • Yuri (Brave Vesperia)
  • Bravely Default [perhaps Agnes]
  • ???? [Any character considered to be brave]

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This thread is to talk about who the new character, after Joker, might be.
The codename datamined from the game was put as 'Brave'.

Here's some info to get started with (thanks geno thread):
https://twitter.com/jam1garner/status/1080961830825193473
https://twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1080971781790416896
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/acpifr/analyzing_leaked_dlc_character_parameters/

Some first ideas were that it could be a Dragon Quest character, since the name for Hero has similarities in japanese. Another is that it could be a character from Bravely Default. And I present a third idea, for fun, in that it could maybe relate to the pixar movie. (well, could have some connection.). And finally there was the idea that it could be Geno, just based on speculation around character data. It's pretty open to interpretation.

Enjoy speculating as to who this next character could possibly be :)
I know they say ''Brave'' doesn't have a rapid jab like the other two DLC characters, but does it specify if it's a jab combo at all or just a single hit?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know they say ''Brave'' doesn't have a rapid jab like the other two DLC characters, but does it specify if it's a jab combo at all or just a single hit?
That's a good question. There's a few other things we might want to know too. Apparently the character isn't a tall one, but I dont know where that info comes from. If there's better pages for all the data found, It'd be nice to see more. So, if people find more, or compilations of it, please share it so we have even better to look at and compare.

Wait, people are datamining the game? Why aren't they going after obtuse mechanics, like how experience points are gained?
Well, it's not as exciting, I guess :p Maybe the info is out there too.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Like Robert above me, I’m pretty sure it’s Erdrick, but I guess it could be Sora (might be wishful thinking though).

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Brave's stats align with those of the zoners, they are noticeably floaty, do not have a rapid jab, have an equivalent height parameter that makes them slightly smaller than Luigi, are either the lightest heavyweight or the heaviest midweight, and they have a distinct, sliding turn.

This is everything that has been confirmed about Brave.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's 90% Edrick, 9% Sora, 1% someone else
Like Robert above me, I’m pretty sure it’s Erdrick, but I guess it could be Sora (might be wishful thinking though).
Brave's stats align with those of the zoners, they are noticeably floaty, do not have a rapid jab, have an equivalent height parameter that makes them slightly smaller than Luigi, are either the lightest heavyweight or the heaviest midweight, and they have a distinct, sliding turn.

From what I saw, The word 'Brave' is the biggest connection with Edrick. But it could be another Dragon quest Hero, if it goes that way.

And then some people said that the character height makes it hard for it to be a character like him(or them) unless it's the kid version. But the weight would make it hard for it to be the kid version, I think.

Last edited:

etano

Smash Cadet
I have a feeling that Sora would have a rapid jab. I just feel like it would be something needed to fit him. I think that it is easily agreed upon that this is Edrick. But it also confuses me on why he would be so slow?

Untouch

Smash Master
No tether.
No crawl.
No walljump/cling.
No rapid jab.
Classified as medium sized. (I don't know what this parameter does.)
Cannot float in the air (2 jumps).
Character doesn't seem to be metal. (There's a "skin" type parameter that seems to make characters spark when hit.)

brave.png

https://puu.sh/CtLjZ.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks, interesting. Guess I have an idea of who the character is if its no SE rep.

Xigger

Smash Lord
The OP should have a list of the most popular guesses for the codename Brave:

• Yuri (Brave Vesperia)
  • Bravely Default
  • ???? (Hero? Nameless or vague?)

D

Deleted member

You could add "brave" as the meaning for the codename. We might get a fake hero or a coward :b

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The OP should have a list of the most popular guesses for the codename Brave:

• Yuri (Brave Vesperia)
  • Bravely Default
  • ???? (Hero? Nameless or vague?)
I could add it later. But what do you mean by the last one? (????)

I think that it also might be important to go beyond just the words, since 'jack' for joker might be more of a play on the word, and there's so many persona that it'd be hard without hindsight to pin it on jack frost if that was actually part of it.

I also saw someone talk about Brave Fencer Musashi, That one might be a bit more of a stretch :p

Last edited:

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
There are a couple other characters Brave could be, by the way.

Agumon is associated with the Brave Crest, and could potentially play similarly to Brave. He's small enough, and has got the right speed for it.

Brave may be Mike Jones from Startropics.

Hear me out for a sec here.

He'd have a lot of mid-range projectiles at his disposal, making him more of a zoner, likely be short and decently heavy due to his overall build as a kid, and his floatyness comes from his psychic powers. His sliding comes from his experience in playing baseball - one of his main weapons is his baseball bat, after all.

Why the Brave codename? Simple - as of this point, Startropics has been exclusive to America - home of the Brave.

Sans has been mentioned due to fitting the size, speed, and floatyness, and since of the soul colors in Undertale is associated with Bravery.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I could add it later. But what do you mean by the last one? (????)

I think that it also might be important to go beyond just the words, since 'jack' for joker might be more of a play on the word, and there's so many persona that it'd be hard without hindsight to pin it on jack frost if that was actually part of it.

I also saw someone talk about Brave Fencer Musashi, That one might be a bit more of a stretch :p
The last one ???? is for an unknown character. A lot of people say it could be any brave person, so it's just.... brave people.

Sans has been mentioned due to fitting the size, speed, and floatyness, and since of the soul colors in Undertale is associated with Bravery.
Sans is also a really good one, I forgot that. I should edit that in my list

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I have a feeling that Sora would have a rapid jab. I just feel like it would be something needed to fit him. I think that it is easily agreed upon that this is Edrick. But it also confuses me on why he would be so slow?
Why? Sora doesn't have any basic infinite combos in his home series, and unlike Joker his weapon's kinda unwieldy for that.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
There are a couple other characters Brave could be, by the way.

Agumon is associated with the Brave Crest, and could potentially play similarly to Brave. He's small enough, and has got the right speed for it.

Agumon would make sense as a character that is short but weighs quite a bit.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Counter argument is that Jack Frost is the defacto Mascot of Atlus.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Pretty much, we're forgetting Young Link is somehow nearly as tall as adult BOTW Link.

I'm just gonna point out another possibility that it's Monster Hunter.
Yeah I was just coming here to suggest Monster Hunter could fit the Brave name due to it being one of the main combat styles.
Counter argument is that Jack Frost is the defacto Mascot of Atlus.
Yeah I think this is important here and points more to it being ANYONE from Dragon Quest, not necessarily only Erdrick himself.
You could add "brave" as the meaning for the codename. We might get a fake hero or a coward :b
Low-key really hope this somehow points to Ravio lol

I've always been rooting for Slime but this all just feels so perfect for him.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah I was just coming here to suggest Monster Hunter could fit the Brave name due to it being one of the main combat styles.
I don't think they'd so far as to incorporate the Generations styles (outside of maybe bits and pieces of them used to flesh out Smash movement) seeing as how they didn't return in World, rather ''Brave'' could simply refer to the bravery they need to face giant monsters regularly, as well as an allusion to the main theme, ''Proof of a Hero''.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Wait, people are datamining the game? Why aren't they going after obtuse mechanics, like how experience points are gained?
I know that this is related to Smash Ultimate and not for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U, but I should be asking this question HERE. Why didn't anyone datamine Smash 4? I know that there was that ESRB leak but someone could've datamined to see if it was true.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
user Fatmanonice Fatmanonice just posted a bunch of stuff in the Square thread clarifying what he was talking about concerning Brave as a zoner, I'll quote it below.
I noticed somebody brought up Link as a zoner but what are some traits that Link has? He's fairly slow, can't jump super great, and is kind of heavy. To balance this, he has good long range options and great kill power. Long range projectile zoners usually have these kind of traits. If they're not slow and/or heavy, they're fast and light and Smash Ultimate only really has one fast projectile user that is above average speed that has multiple long range projectiles and that's Toon Link (Palutena's debatable given the nature of explosive flare and her rushdown nature). Brave stats are much more similar to mid range zoners like Duck Hunt and Pac-Man. Brave is average weight, average ground speed (but poor traction), good air speed, and really good fall speed so it's not likely that Brave is going to fight from far away but he's not fast enough to be a rush down character. Notice the air speed stats of everyone above Brave (1.14 so about the same as Sheik and Cloud):

http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/AirSpeed

Notice how these characters are typically up close and personal. Swordsmen wise, you have Roy and Chrom who are also 19-22 characters faster than Brave and 11 characters lighter. You also have Mii Swordsman, who has multiple mid range projectiles. Mii Swordsman is also slower on the ground by a noticeable amount but almost exactly the same weight (101). That said, you have a midway between Link and Roy. Again, if the character is a swordsman, they're very atypical to the typical design of sword fighters.
I know people have talked about fluctuating height but what would make Erdrick child height aside from actually being a kid? We don't really have a lot of characters with extreme stances. Greninja is the most extreme because he's about 1 unit tall in his typical stance but about 1.75 if fully standing up.

Looking at the cast as a whole, not a lot of characters have a lot of stances that would make them significantly taller if they got out of them aside from Greninja and Ridley. Cloud honestly has the deepest stance of any sword fighter and it's just a simple wide stance, not anything extreme like a horse stance or a deep crouch.
Mid range projectile zoner like Pac-Man or Duck Hunt or aerial zoner like Mario or Wario based on the stats, yeah. If the character has a weapon, it's probably not going to have a ton of range because one common characteristic of these types of characters is that they don't have a ton of range and usually try to manipulate their opponents into making mistakes or openings. Wario pokes and retreats, Mario tries to set up grabs and aerial combo strings, Duck Hunt and Pac-Man try to annoy you into coming to them or making mistakes with their projectiles from a fairly close range. This is what is so unusual about Brave.

Based on the stats (okay ground speed with bad traction but great aerial stats), it makes the argument that they'll be at their best in the air and that, like Wario and Jigglypuff, they're notably worse if kept on the ground. Pac-Man and Duck Hunt are like this too but make up for it with their projectiles. This is very unusual for a sword user because, thanks to their range, neither is a bad deal. Toon Link and Young Link may not have the longest range on the ground but they're not likely to be totally shut down. You can't really say this about Mario or Wario. For Duck Hunt, Olimar, and Pac-Man, if they're on the ground, they're more than likely using their projectiles and are at a big disadvantage if these don't work on their opponent. Sword users aren't likely to get totally zoned out because of their range, speed, or both but this is a fairly regularly occurrence for characters like Mario, who Brave resembles more.

The comparisons to Young Link and Toon Link are important because both sword users are light with shorter range and this seems to be a deliberate pattern. Both make up for their lack of range with projectiles, which notably can be comboed into their longer ranged attacks like fair and uair. Sword users with good sword range and/or long range projectiles balance out in one of two ways: being slow as balls or being light. Sword users with good range and projectiles are typically slow while sword users with good range but no projectiles are usually fast.

What about Ike and Shulk? Ah! They have quick mobility options to compensate. Ike has quick draw and Shulk has the Speed Monado art. What about Cloud's blade beam? He's not super reliant on it like Pac-Man is his fruit. It's simply another option and the character's gameplay wouldn't be wrecked if it were gone. Take away Link or Robin's projectiles and it's a much different story. This all said, Brave is much more balanced compared to these guys so likely won't play with these playstyles.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking, and even if the character isn't Mike Jones, the "Brave" codename coming from the character being American in origin still makes a lot of sense. What American characters (1st, 2nd, or 3rd party) would fit those stats?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was thinking, and even if the character isn't Mike Jones, the "Brave" codename coming from the character being American in origin still makes a lot of sense. What American characters (1st, 2nd, or 3rd party) would fit those stats?
Don't go playing with my head, now. Since when has Mike been brought up?
I mean yeah, he, like many other characters for the "Brave" archtype.

*You bravely respond
"I will go to the alien spaceship and bring the cubes back!"
~chills :)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Determination is almost a synonym for bravery so it's Sans.

(My real prediction, as I've been saying in the Square thread, is Dragon Quest.)

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Brave of Puyo Puyo, so it's gotta be Arle.

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure it's a DQ character, and within DQ I give it a 60% chance that it's Erdrick, 20% of being the Luminary, 15% of it being Slime, and everybody else is all gathered in a 5%.

Top Bottom