• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brand New Tech (Yoshi ECE From Pokemon stadiums Lip)

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Here's what I've been able to figure out so far:

There are multiple ways to set this up but the easiest one is to move to the lip of the stage and short hop straight up. The timing is as follows:
1 Jump
24-29 Egg Toss

Here is an example of the earliest you can start the egg toss.

It doesn't matter which way you are facing. Other setups include full jump, double jump cancel and even waveland from the platform into double jump cancel but I am not going to figure out the windows for all of those. You also don't have to be extremely close to the lip. As long as Yoshi's nose is above the lip you are fine. These images should help with the range for a neutral jump.

Whichever way you are facing while throwing the egg, you will be facing the ledge afterwards. You will spend one frame intangible and grabbing the ledge, and the following frame tangible and not actionable. Afterwards you can do whatever you want, but you will have some momentum towards the ledge so a neutral jump is not possible without doing something to stop that momentum.

It does not seem possible to do this from the real ledge going onstage. If there is some setup, it is very difficult and not fully intangible.

The reason it works is that the ledge on this particular stage can be grabbed from both sides as long as you have a way to get low enough that your ledge grab box will reach it. In Yoshi's case, his Egg Toss allows him to do that.

In this image, the red and blue boxes (not the large blue box) on either side of Yoshi are his ledge grab boxes, the orange diamonds are his ECBs (and his egg's ECBs are above him) which detect stage collision, and the red line is the ledge.

Overall, not useful but pretty neat.

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Here's what I've been able to figure out so far:

There are multiple ways to set this up but the easiest one is to move to the lip of the stage and short hop straight up. The timing is as follows:
1 Jump
24-29 Egg Toss

Here is an example of the earliest you can start the egg toss.

It doesn't matter which way you are facing. Other setups include full jump, double jump cancel and even waveland from the platform into double jump cancel but I am not going to figure out the windows for all of those. You also don't have to be extremely close to the lip. As long as Yoshi's nose is above the lip you are fine. These images should help with the range for a neutral jump.

Whichever way you are facing while throwing the egg, you will be facing the ledge afterwards. You will spend one frame intangible and grabbing the ledge, and the following frame tangible and not actionable. Afterwards you can do whatever you want, but you will have some momentum towards the ledge so a neutral jump is not possible without doing something to stop that momentum.

It does not seem possible to do this from the real ledge going onstage. If there is some setup, it is very difficult and not fully intangible.

The reason it works is that the ledge on this particular stage can be grabbed from both sides as long as you have a way to get low enough that your ledge grab box will reach it. In Yoshi's case, his Egg Toss allows him to do that.

In this image, the red and blue boxes (not the large blue box) on either side of Yoshi are his ledge grab boxes, the orange diamonds are his ECBs (and his egg's ECBs are above him) which detect stage collision, and the red line is the ledge.

Overall, not useful but pretty neat.
Holy...crap......

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Oh **** I thought it was an edge cancel without even testing. This is sick! Labbed a bit and found you can do it with down-b also (remember to release down to be able to grab edge), but because of it's high velocity can be a bit inconsistent.

I wonder if other characters can grab the edge, yoshi's ledgegrab is crazy low compared to most. Probs have a look tomorrow

Edit: Falcon can grab it with the end of his up-b. (start on real ledge, drop a bit, up-b on stage to reverse grab the tiny ledge. Kinda jank but cool. Falco can do it with doublejump, using a really awkward setup.

gfy of falcon tech

Last edited:
Top Bottom