• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brand new SSB4 player looking for tips & tricks

snorman22

Smash Rookie
I used to play Smash n64 waaaaaay back in the day with friends and stuff. Unfortunately I never went the route of GameCube etc so I haven't played SSB seriously for a long time.
As this will be so new for me as I'm used to about 8 characters there's now a ton I'm wondering how does somebody go about picking their main. Now I'm not asking who to main but isn't here some certain qualities in different people. Ie this character has high speed low damage. This character has high damage but no speed. This character does this and that etc.

Looking for some advice on how people have picked a main before.

Also looking for just general tips and absolutely any information they can share. Remember I haven't played SSB since n64.

GLORY12HOUND

Smash Cadet
Hello and welcome back to the smash community!! :) As for picking a main, there are lots of youtube videos on that. But personally, would recommend playing all the characters and going more into the ones you like. Or looking up guides on characters you are possibly interested in. As for general tips, this thread is great. Best of luck! (Here is a link to some places to help you find a main)

Amaru

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheMACH1NE
https://smashboards.com/threads/4br-smash-for-wii-u-tier-list-v3.445995/

This is generally where everyone thinks each character is. I base picking my main off of whether I like the character or not and if I like how they feel when I play as them and if they match my playstyle.

If you want general tips then there should be a pretty good amount of videos on YouTube to choose from. You can also add me if you want to spar and get tips (NNID: TheMACH1NE).

snorman22

Smash Rookie
Is there anywhere that describe each character briefly their pros and cons and strengths and weaknesses

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
SSBwiki is a great source of information on character attributes, so y'all can start there.

The character forums can also cover their attributes.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
If you are interested in frame data and characters attributes Kuroganehammer is the place to go, it is not the most beginner friendly source of information but it is great.

Last edited:

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
It'll be the same answer you will hear 100 times but try out all the characters. Part of the process is letting your main find you. You don't need to spend hours playing each character you can play 1 match with a character and decide for you personally whether that character is too slow, too weak, too hard to play, whatever. A lot of people want to main a "good" character to main. One that's high or top tier.
If you are looking for tier lists smashboards(tier lists might be outdated I don't check tier lists personally) or ssbwiki is where you want to look. Stay away from eventhubs (event scrubs).
The best advice I can give is main who you enjoy playing as and you'll just naturally get better. If I can give some bias I'd say don't main :4sonic: I think he's boring to play as and boring to play against.

Cyro_

Smash Cadet
In terms of mains I can't give a suggestion as it really depends on play style and who just fits you, what I can say is don't get discouraged after losing with whoever you play as it happens to everyone. Best advice I can give is watch videos, analyze replays, and play some online so you can get used to fighting other players and their play style with your own.

UpsettedFizz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Defender5X
You'll hear it a million times, but the best way to find your main is to just play every character and see which one you like the best. Don't sweat it too much, you'll know if it fits after you finish a match with that character. My other suggestion would be to just look at the character roster, maybe the tier list, but don't base your pick off where the character is ranked, base it off who YOU want to play as. See which character "calls out to you," give them a try, and if you don't like them, repeat until you find one you like. If you still have no idea, try starting out with a character like Mario or Yoshi. Such characters generally have a lower learning curve, meaning they are easier to master for most players, and are a good starting place.

As for general tips and advice, I highly recommend checking out this playlist on YouTube. Watch the first video and then go from there. Izaw does an excellent job of explaining the basics and the more complicated techniques of Sm4sh, and even has in-depth analyses on a good chunk of the cast.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom