• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boy was I a cringe 15 year old

flerbmcgurb

Smash Rookie
Just wanted to come back and clear this up after quite a few years of not. Wow, can't believe how far I've come since starting my melee journey. I was a little jackass. Hope everyone out there in the meleeverse is doin well. Live Long and prosper - Slightly older flerb <3

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I hate to break the news, but most companies/organizations/etc. don't breath out sponsorships. To even be noticed by these companies/organizations/etc. that give out sponsorships, you'll have to break into top of the scene and remain consistent in placings for a decent amount of time. Considering that I, and possibly many other people have never heard or seen your name in a major, there's a really slim chance that any company/organization/etc. has, either.

I'm going to stress to you, it's really not as easy as it sounds being at the top of the Melee scene. Those at the top have poured years of their lives into the game.

Players don't go to sponsors, sponsors go to players. I think. I'm just saying that because I know that's the case with youtubers, at least. Idk if it can be generalized to players

Last edited:

flerbmcgurb

Smash Rookie
Out of my experience it's been the exact opposite, when I was on a league team we had to go to sponsors to get them.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I mean it's a mixture of both players going to sponsors and sponsors going to players. But sponsors aren't checking Smashboards.

CptJPuff kinda laid it out for you. The only thing I would add is if you're good you could maybe get a local shop or crew to sponsor you. However, they're not gonna fly you to Evo or anything else even minor let substantial. And once again, no sponsors are looking at the Smashboards Melee forums

20XXwingleborgXxx

Smash Apprentice
You are maybe a littebit to young to have a sponsor. But i dont see the problem by contacting sponsors so long they want to help you. I will recomend you to earn money from a job or something so you pay for Evo by youreself.

flerbmcgurb

Smash Rookie
You are maybe a littebit to young to have a sponsor. But i dont see the problem by contacting sponsors so long they want to help you. I will recomend you to earn money from a job or something so you pay for Evo by youreself.
I really dun responded to this out of spite, I hope you're doing well 20XXwingleborgXxx

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I mean you'll need a legal guardian to fly if you're under 16 anyway

Actually you just need someone over 18 to agree to travel with you or something, not exactly sure

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I mean you'll need a legal guardian to fly if you're under 16 anyway
Nope, I've been getting on planes by myself since I was 11.

Unless by chance you're implying that he isn't allowed to fly the plane himself. Which is probably true.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
No this is new, only for tickets purchased after December 2015
Wtf, are they afraid a 12 year old will take down the plane? TSA these days, first they stop leffen and now they stop children. Way to get the terrorists, guys. Smh

Earthy

Smash Rookie
I am 11, and I know its quite hard to get a sponsor. Unless ur ken in disquise. ;/

flerbmcgurb

Smash Rookie
If you're gonna pay for it, what do you need with a sponsor?
Well in past experience ( I dont know if this would hold true for smash) They would basically just give you more money the more games in the tournament you win, for example when i was on a league team if we won the first game we would get 10$ extra then 20 then 40 and past that if we won sponsors would give us all 60$ extra.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
It's not that you're too young to be sponsored, but if nobody has ever heard of you, and you have to post on Smashboards looking for a sponsor, then not only to you not need a sponsor, you aren't going to get one. Simple as that. Stick around for like 10 years and maybe you'll be at the level necessary to get sponsored.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
For now, the only kind of sponsor you can hope for are small businesses. If you know the owner of some kind of shop well, you could ask for sponsorship. In Montreal, a few top players are sponsored by Copoli, a restaurant.

You may also be aware that the smash scene is smaller than Lol and other games, so you may have a hard time finding one. Get good results and get a few recorded matches.

Also, you won't find anything on the smashboards lol.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
About streaming, I'd suggest just being natural on stream, but you may wish to also take caution to not resemble the things older gamers tend to dislike about stereotypical 14 year old gamers and others near that age (assuming this has ever been a problem for you). Start small with something local, keep getting good results, show up to larger events and do well, and do things memorable.

If you're any good at it, get on commentary on stream, and don't forget to play on stream!

flerbmcgurb

Smash Rookie
Thanks to everyone who actually gave positive feedback and advice instead of just being a ****.

joltekz

Smash Cadet
NNID
joltekz
Thanks to everyone who actually gave positive feedback and advice instead of just being a ****.

that attitude won't get you far, learn to appreciate criticism no matter how harsh it is.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
that attitude won't get you far, learn to appreciate criticism no matter how harsh it is.
I guess. Much better for people to just, be nicer. Not saying anything about this thread or this site, just the community in general.

Last edited:

SSB Bentendo

Smash Rookie
NNID
BowlyBen
Well your better than me, my best tournament was when I went 2-2, but I have only been playing competitively for about 2 months now, and I was having a huge main crisis, which I'm glad is over.

fsck!

Smash Cadet
I guess. Much better for people to just, be nicer. Not saying anything about this thread or this site, just the community in general.
It's much easier to just learn to deal with criticism. Where do we draw the line on what's acceptable and what's not? How do we decide what is and isn't ok to criticize? How do we enforce it? Just grow up, look at criticism for what it is, and accept it. Strip out the crap that offends you and look at the underlying message. If there is none, then it's just a troll attempt.

Relatively, if he's gonna call critics assholes, then he's gonna be hard pressed to find a sponsor that will tolerate him AND actually do something for him.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It's much easier to just learn to deal with criticism. Where do we draw the line on what's acceptable and what's not? How do we decide what is and isn't ok to criticize? How do we enforce it? Just grow up, look at criticism for what it is, and accept it. Strip out the crap that offends you and look at the underlying message. If there is none, then it's just a troll attempt.

Relatively, if he's gonna call critics ********, then he's gonna be hard pressed to find a sponsor that will tolerate him AND actually do something for him.
I learned how to deal with criticism before you were in kindergarten. Simply put, if you don't know what is an acceptable way to treat someone, YOU need to grow up. Enforce kindness??? Is that what you think I proposed? Lol, wow. Not sure what to say. Criticism filled with hate rarely gets its point across.

https://youtu.be/AuPJ_ApYooQ

^^ You probably think this is esam being a weakling of some sort, when over here in reality, it's known as a sign of maturity.

Last edited:

joltekz

Smash Cadet
NNID
joltekz
Well your better than me, my best tournament was when I went 2-2, but I have only been playing competitively for about 2 months now, and I was having a huge main crisis, which I'm glad is over.
>says he has a main crisis
>says he's a samus and jiggly main in his sig
>has a peach profile picture
>says he's a peach main on his profile
>says he's glad that his main crisis is over

okey

Last edited:

flerbmcgurb

Smash Rookie
It's not that you're too young to be sponsored, but if nobody has ever heard of you, and you have to post on Smashboards looking for a sponsor, then not only to you not need a sponsor, you aren't going to get one. Simple as that. Stick around for like 10 years and maybe you'll be at the level necessary to get sponsored.
Bad Chef you were all too correct. It's not been quite 10 years later, thank you for looking out for a naive 14 year old Flerb.

flerbmcgurb

Smash Rookie
About streaming, I'd suggest just being natural on stream, but you may wish to also take caution to not resemble the things older gamers tend to dislike about stereotypical 14 year old gamers and others near that age (assuming this has ever been a problem for you). Start small with something local, keep getting good results, show up to larger events and do well, and do things memorable.

If you're any good at it, get on commentary on stream, and don't forget to play on stream!
I really took this one to heart man. It didn't hit me until about 2019 but now looking back on it I really needed someone to frame this in that manner for me. I was an upset literal child at the time, but **** like this really helped form who I am today and I hope I'm alot better for it. <3

flerbmcgurb

Smash Rookie
I hate to break the news, but most companies/organizations/etc. don't breath out sponsorships. To even be noticed by these companies/organizations/etc. that give out sponsorships, you'll have to break into top of the scene and remain consistent in placings for a decent amount of time. Considering that I, and possibly many other people have never heard or seen your name in a major, there's a really slim chance that any company/organization/etc. has, either.

I'm going to stress to you, it's really not as easy as it sounds being at the top of the Melee scene. Those at the top have poured years of their lives into the game.
I'm a little bit older these days, thanks for breakin the news to me. Someone had to eventually. I'll grind it out and make top 100 one of these days ;P - Best wishes ~ Flerb <3

Top Bottom