• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality boxx vs phob. Should phobs be banned from tourneys or boxxs

J_e_a_n_s

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
JEAN#602
Making this thread mainly because I feel that this new pay to win meta is a bit unfair. What do you guys think on which ones should be allowed in them?

Goty Rase

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RAZ#535
Is a grey theme, for example is difficult for most players (new or others countries) get the boxx and I hear that gives ventage over other players like DI or easy inputs or more precise for techniques, so I think it nead to be discuss if boxx should still be legal, I do not know what is phob, can you explain me what is to understand.

Last edited:

J_e_a_n_s

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
JEAN#602
basically to sum it down cause I don't wanna go in full depth, main thing abt the phob is that it replaced normal potentiometers with magnet making them last longer then normal once and having more precise inputs.

J_e_a_n_s

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
JEAN#602
For sure will def check this out, I feel like both controllers bring major disadvantages to others who cant afford them.

RoundUp

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RNDP#758
i think both should remain legal. phobs have absolutely no reason to get banned, especially since phob 2.0 is incredibly cheap and very widely available. it's very good for the future of the game, and fixes almost all of the inconsistencies in controllers. rectangle controllers shouldn't be banned, since some players can't play without them due to hand health, but a unified ruleset that's followed within all major firmware (and a way to easily check firmware!) has to be agreed upon. a solution i proposed a long time ago, and that ptas is now also considering, is implementing rectangle detection in a software fix such as ucf, which automatically applies nerfs, making it impossible to cheat with illegal firmware

Goty Rase

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RAZ#535
i think both should remain legal. phobs have absolutely no reason to get banned, especially since phob 2.0 is incredibly cheap and very widely available. it's very good for the future of the game, and fixes almost all of the inconsistencies in controllers. rectangle controllers shouldn't be banned, since some players can't play without them due to hand health, but a unified ruleset that's followed within all major firmware (and a way to easily check firmware!) has to be agreed upon. a solution i proposed a long time ago, and that ptas is now also considering, is implementing rectangle detection in a software fix such as ucf, which automatically applies nerfs, making it impossible to cheat with illegal firmware
you have watched the DI of the B0xx is ridiculous, I can not buy a control of 230 dollars and also the adapters, I can not do it, so for that I have a disaventge only for that, the B0xx have to be nerfed or ban

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I've always found this debate weird because GC controllers are not only discontinued, but top players insist on having "golden samples" or whatever they are called that are supposed to be less susceptible to defects IIRC. I have to wonder if those who insist on standardizing around the GC controller ever considered what happens in the long term when they can no longer source GC controllers.

The correct thing to do would be to standardize around the controllers people are claiming are inherently superior due to a lack of inherent flaws that the GC controller would have, but I guess that would mean that results would drop for a few months and we can't have that. This isn't a problem in FPS where they've adopted all sorts of new tech (e.g. high refresh monitors) without too much fuss.

I feel like both controllers bring major disadvantages to others who cant afford them
I can not buy a control of 230 dollars and also the adapters, I can not do it, so for that I have a disaventge only for that, the B0xx have to be nerfed or ban
You can build your own B0xx controllers for pretty cheap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trGa98tEy_0

Last edited:

Icewalker220

Smash Rookie
I think that the phob and boxx situation needs to have more concise data applied to the discourse so people can make fair decisions based on the information. I looked up how much phobs cost, and they're NOT cheap. hundreds of dollars for a custom GCC is very expensive, which that alone is a huge barrier to entry. The BOXX, Frame1, and hitbox/smashbox are also hundreds of dollars, and most people don't have the money to spend on a controller like that.

IMO we should get more data about other controllers most players use to compare and contrast the capabilities of phobs and boxx controllers, because not everyone uses a GCC either, some people use xbox controllers for online or other 3rd party controllers.

J_e_a_n_s

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
JEAN#602
I think that the phob and boxx situation needs to have more concise data applied to the discourse so people can make fair decisions based on the information. I looked up how much phobs cost, and they're NOT cheap. hundreds of dollars for a custom GCC is very expensive, which that alone is a huge barrier to entry. The BOXX, Frame1, and hitbox/smashbox are also hundreds of dollars, and most people don't have the money to spend on a controller like that.

IMO we should get more data about other controllers most players use to compare and contrast the capabilities of phobs and boxx controllers, because not everyone uses a GCC either, some people use xbox controllers for online or other 3rd party controllers.
yes exactly I agree both controllers are not cheap at all and I personally use a Xbox 360 controller and a Vanilla Gc controller, I feel like this whole post mainly questions the BOXX mainly cause it can have custom firmware.

RoundUp

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
RNDP#758

phobs dont have to be expensive. you're probably looking at builds with a lot of aesthetic mods done to them. phobs without any aesthetic mods and only essential, purele functional mods wont run you much more than the base controller cost + 60-70usd

Top Bottom