• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's Jab

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

I make this topic to discuss and get informed about Bowser's viable Jab-Cancelling options. What things can we do after a Jab, and do we have Frame Advantage against some characters (and who)?

Personally I tend to Jab 1 to Jab 1 and follow it up with an F-Tilt, a Grab or simply keep that Jab Cancelling going until they try to roll behind me. Of course that Jab 1 cancels are pretty silly according to Limit, so I kind of stopped doing it because apparently a few characters can punish it by SDI'ing and punishing with a fast aerial.

I'd like to make a list of Jab Cancels/Mix-ups we could apply during certain situations. Experienced players, don't be afraid to correct me if I'm wrong (I most likely am, anyway):

Jab 1, Jab 1: No real use rather than extra, risky damage that might not even garantee a follow-up unless the opponent is silly enough as to not SDI it.
Jab 1, F-Tilt: I think this serves as a nice spacing option and for extra damage. It's best used when you space so your Jab's tip hits and then follow it up with this. Seeing as Bowser's F-Tilt comes out on Frame 10, I highly doubt you'll get enough frame advantage for this to be a garanteed follow-up, but if the opponent doesn't know how to punish it, then I doubt you're being too risky thanks to it's range.
Jab 1, D-Tilt: KO setup. Not really reliable as far as I know, but if the opponent tends to pop-up after the first Jab, I see this coming in handy.
Jab-Grab: The better one of the Jab-Cancels. I think it's logical that most players will shield after the first Jab, so that's when it comes in handy.
Jab-Klaw: Same as Jab-Grab, except it's pretty straightforward with it's damage while Jab-Grab opens up different possible combinations, Klaw included.
Jab-F-Smash: As silly as it sounds, I think this may be used as a surprise KO in a match by conditioning your opponent to think you're going to regrab them after a GR. It punishes spotdodges.
Jab-Up-B: The times that I've tried this in my life can be counted with one hand. Literally. I don't know too much about this one, honestly, but this may be used to punish a roll if your opponent is silly and tries to roll right behind you if you're silly like me and wish to Jab Cancel as if you were, say, Ike. And who know, looking at it's 6 Frame start-up, you might even get a KO on the light characters while it's fresh (It KOs lightweight characters from 120-130%).

Well, um, if I am incorrect (which I very well might be), please don't be afraid to correct me on this. I am merely looking at the possible options I consider 'viable', but I'd really like to see what a more experienced and/or professional player has to say about this.

B!squick

Smash Master
I swear Flayl already made a thread about Jab or talked at length about it along with other things.

In short, Bowser has one of the best jabs in the game. He's like third in frame advantage, but that's with the hitbox that's closest to him (see hitbox thread). It's still really good though.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure you can't actually link a Jab 1 with anything. At least as a combo because Brawl has no combos. And I'm pretty sure every character has SOMETHING to get out of any pseudo combos. Thankfully, if you're aware of this, you can prepare accordingly. Like when Zigsta (I think) was up against a Marth player he did a Grab Release > Jab > Shielded the UpB he knew was coming > UAir for the kill. It was beautiful and it worked twice in the same game.

In fact, that's probably a great way to see what your opponent does in that same situation. Grab Release > Jab > Shield and see what happens. Do they Spot Dodge? Shield? Something else entirely? Keep in mind what they do next time you go for a Jab. If it's too quick you might as well not bother with the FTilt follow up, for example. And if you're going to Grab after a Jab, might as well make it a Pivot Grab so there's less risk if you whiff.

D

Deleted member 189823

I swear Flayl already made a thread about Jab or talked at length about it along with other things.

In short, Bowser has one of the best jabs in the game. He's like third in frame advantage, but that's with the hitbox that's closest to him (see hitbox thread). It's still really good though.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure you can't actually link a Jab 1 with anything.
Wait, so you're only talking about his link from Jab 1 to Jab 2?

In fact, that's probably a great way to see what your opponent does in that same situation. Grab Release > Jab > Shield and see what happens. Do they Spot Dodge? Shield? Something else entirely? Keep in mind what they do next time you go for a Jab. If it's too quick you might as well not bother with the FTilt follow up, for example. And if you're going to Grab after a Jab, might as well make it a Pivot Grab so there's less risk if you whiff.
But how? The Jab pushes the opponent away enough so the Pivot Grab can't reach, unless the opponent runs/SDIs into you...

Flayl

Smash Hero
It depends on the opponent's height and falling speed

The character we have the most advantage on is Jigglypuff, she is the only character where Jab -> Dash Grab is a true combo

Jab -> DTilt only seems to work if the opponent was airborne when you Jabbed them. It's pretty good for getting KOs against aerial opponents while Bowser is on a platform

Jab -> DownB is MrEh's shieldbreaker

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
How safe are both jabs 1 and 2 on shields at maximum range? Aren't they generally safe on most character's shields due to the arm being intangible + the actual distance from the character? If that is the case, could you simply jab at a shield to trick them into dropping it then jab cancel during a wiffed shield grab or oos option to hit them with something else? Or can they actually grab you even at max distance? Also, how viable a strategy would you say is staying just out of range and canceling the first jab just to prime the second one? I notice that it hits a little higher than jab one and sometimes works against shorthop attempts and of course it's further so even if hitting a shield at max range is unsafe you could possibly do this then just swing jab two at them. Does that sound a little too theorycrafty? Or does it seem like a least a good mix up instead of throwing f-tilt out or maybe a good way to just refresh f-tilt?

Top Bottom