• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

Mr.989

Smash Rookie
Thoughts on Bowser being my secondary to Mr. Game & Watch.

I've made the commitment to G&W as my main even though I believe I am slightly better with Bowser overall. I don't think I'm bad with G&W, but I am dedicated to improve my gameplay even more with him. It doesn't mean I don't love and appreciate Beast Mode himself any less, I just personally prefer having a main and a secondary and like the idea of keeping Bowser as a the big bad back up when I want or need to change it up.

Even though I feel I have a natural feel using him I know there's always room for improvement and its nice to try out new tactics to keep gameplay fresh and interesting.

Any suggested strategy tips and tournament stage preferences that help Bowsers chances against any of the MU's listed below?

Also, do you prefer C-Stick set as Attack or Special Attack?

1. Cloud :4cloud:
2. Rosalina & Luma :rosalina:
3. Lucas:4lucas:

....thanks again!!

Koopakid 64

Smash Rookie
NNID
koopaman
Yo guys it's been awhile. I got third place at an AZ tournament with BOWSER! I've been improving alot over time. though I do have a question for you guys and that is a Ryu match up. is it best to approach attack for a bit and then avoid him since he can hit bowser with his long lasting hitboxes?

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
I dont have much experience with very good Ryu user, but if I had to think about it, i'd say that our defense is pretty good against Ryu, and we're faster than him, except frame data-wise. That means that you can shield pretty much any of his approaches, but dont get grabed or you will get some nasty but not too dangerous combos. Any hadouken you block is a free punish because Bowser is fast enough to get to Ryu when he fires one. I think, I am not sure, that Bowser is immune to Shakunetsu Hadoukens (the red ones) thanks to Tough Guy. Ryu is a fastfaller, so he is easy to combo for Bowser. Ryu has pretty good autocancels, so if he tries to approach you with Nairs for exemple, you can keep shielding because he will probably follow-up with jab, wich is frame 2, but if you react fast enough you can simply grab him as he falls. Respect his Fair and bair, they are hard to punish if spaced right. Respect tatsumakis as well, they god amazing priority and they deal big damage. Overall, you can abuse your shield against Ryu, watch out for Strong F-Tilts still, and do not worry of being grabed at high percents because you're Bowser and none of Ryu's throws can kill you until 200+%.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
but dont get grabed or you will get some nasty but not too dangerous combos.
The only nasty Dthrow combo Ryu has is Dthrow into Utilt string at 0%. He has this on I think all characters, including Bowser. His Dthrow is weight based so other moves like Uair and Fair only work on targets as light as sheik. So if you're thrown, just DI away and be prepared to air dodge or double jump + Dair if he does jump into the air after you. Ryus lack of combo and kill throws is why he doesn't grab much at all. It's also because his grab range is shorter than even his jab.

As for the Utilt string, DI away from Ryu works with smaller characters, but I've seen Bowser DI up and toward Ryu for an air fortress dealing 30+ damage. Whichever you choose, this move will always result in a lot of damage.

A little bit of Fire Breath won't hurt in this MU. Ryu's got very slow speed stats and low jump height. The Breath also cancels out incoming hadokens and its multihit will beat Focus attack approach out of the air as well. If you're on a flat stage, I would make regular use of the move because he has to approach more than we do.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yo guys it's been awhile. I got third place at an AZ tournament with BOWSER! I've been improving alot over time. though I do have a question for you guys and that is a Ryu match up. is it best to approach attack for a bit and then avoid him since he can hit bowser with his long lasting hitboxes?
Congratulations!

As for Ryu, yes--I'd definitely recommend getting your hits in and then resetting the neutral. Don't overextend yourself, especially in the air. I'd definitely throw out more Firebreath than normal in this MU.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Koopakid 64 Koopakid 64 But don't throw out firebreath on the ground without a gameplan. Ryu players can jump on reaction and catch us with an aerial. You'll want to wave bounce it or reverse it after a dash back. This way the spacing isn't so predictable that a Ryu can just jump from a starting position.

Last edited:

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Since we are talking about MUs, do you guys have advices for Lucas? He is my worst nghtmare as Bowser, this is seriously a matchup that I rarely win. This guy's frame data and how incredibily safe he is are so stupid I cant handle it.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Since we are talking about MUs, do you guys have advices for Lucas? He is my worst nghtmare as Bowser, this is seriously a matchup that I rarely win. This guy's frame data and how incredibily safe he is are so stupid I cant handle it.
Play safe, boring, and grounded.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
Either I've never had a problem with Lucas or I've never fought a good one. Couldn't really tell you how to deal with him.
Ledgeguard hard though. Don't let him get back.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
I dont want to sound boastful or swaggering but I won 10 matches in a row without a single loss against a very good Shiek with a lot of 2 stocking, I can't believe that even as Bowser, once you play very careful, get those reads and dont airdodge/roll, she has SO MUCH trouble killing, that blew my mind, and on top any of Bowser's attack just screw her up between 100 and 110%. This person wasnt Zero at all, but I don't know.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I'm finding myself having difficulty beating Samus'. Do you guys have any tips?
Roll towards the thing. Roll away? Get grabbed. Roll away? Get blasted.

And if they roll past you just Fortress and make them regret their dumbass decision.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Its not as simple as that. Very, very good Samuses never roll. They only empty hop, zair and nair wich is very hard to approach, and she has great air mobility.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Mr.989 Mr.989 I use a b stick, it's not a popular choice but it's useable. Most players probably use a tilt stick instead; use what's comfortable.

Samus actually has poor air mobility. Her air speed is slow and she's floaty. Only falling z-airs can hit you, which makes the timing more predictable, a weakness she shares with zss.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm finding myself having difficulty beating Samus'. Do you guys have any tips?
Do you have any videos? Samus is my most played MU--it's very easy to exploit Samus's blindspot. It would be a lot easier for me to break down ways for you to improve if you can record some footage, even if it's on an iPhone.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
While I don't have footage either, I'd appreciate some tips on how to get the drop on Samus as well.

D

Deleted member 189823

So, like, waifu thing happened. Totally bailing on you guys, sorry~

Also, took a game off MVD with Boozer in set. ;u;

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Destroy the traitor!

Just kidding, have fun, see you around.

But seriously, don't cross paths in bracket!

We're totally cool though.

Maybe...

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Im following Oz on that one. I will never drop Wowser for anything, but Corrin is the most charming character of all the DLCs in my eyes. Such a good feeling with him, I love it.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
And I know Corrin's max water blast was canceled by a mario fire ball so we can probably just punch it.

So Sheik remains with the best projectile in the game.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah Im following Oz on that one. I will never drop Wowser for anything, but Corrin is the most charming character of all the DLCs in my eyes. Such a good feeling with him, I love it.
How cute, he thinks I'm using Corrin because I think she's fun to use. :042:
AlsoCoughCOUGHJigglypuffwithlegsCOUGHHGTDSGRTS

Bye Oz! Wish you the best of luck with corn.
Thanks bruh.

Don't you guys want to see my set against MVD, though. ),:

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
AlsoCoughCOUGHJigglypuffwithlegsCOUGHHGTDSGRTS
Lmao. On the smash side, im still asking why the ef did Sakurai did absolutely nothing to make Jigglypuff better.
Theres other characters that are still unchanged on that patch, but Jigglypuff got NOTHING. This is saddening.

Last edited:

arcticfox_14

Smash Cadet
NNID
arcticfox14
Granted I've only seen it happen at low percentages, when I get a day off I'm going to testing when Bowser flinch's from the Bullet Climax attack.
Tough Guy is activated by Bayo's uncharged neutral B until 120%. I don't believe it works against the first few shots of charged version (the only ones affected by the charging, I mean).

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Tough Guy is activated by Bayo's uncharged neutral B until 120%. I don't believe it works against the first few shots of charged version (the only ones affected by the charging, I mean).
Maybe the charge shot missed and I got hit by an uncharged one instead. I did my own testing and it is true that uncharged will not flinch until 120%ish.

Also Corrin's projectile at all levels can be negated by a simple jab 1. So all of our attacks can shut that down essentially.

So that's cool.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Thats cool, but as someone making Corrin my definitive second main, having a big-ass projectile that gets annihilated by virtually anything is kind of a bummer, lol.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
Discovered something yesterday when I played Bowser against my Lucario amiibo
If Lucario counters the first hit of Bowser Bomb they will both get hit. I managed to create some examples in Training
Example 1:
Then this happened when Lucario is facing away from Bowser
Example 2:
When Lucario is still facing the other way but standing further away from Bowser they will both get hit
Example 3:

Last edited:

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Discovered something yesterday when I played Bowser against my Lucario amiibo
If Lucario counters the first hit of Bowser Bomb they will both get hit. I managed to create some examples in Training
Example 1:
Then this happened when Lucario is facing away from Bowser
Example 2:
When Lucario is still facing the other way but standing further away from Bowser they will both get hit
Example 3:
Its a neat little trick, although I fail to see how this effects us outside of a bad read from the Lucario player.

Top Bottom