• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

a stray cat

Smash Cadet
I've not heard of this interference issue with gamecube controllers. If there exists any evidence of this I'd love to see it.

As for exiting Smash mode, it's working for me as I test it out now. Though I don't own a pro controller to know if there are unique issues on that one. Wii remote based controllers operate the same as they did on the Wii's hardware.

No player should feel comfortable about being held accountable for a crime that they could commit in a tournament. Especially when said crime has both preventative measures and an easy fix. The way I see it, banning players is a lot easier than informing them.
Exiting from smash mode only works if the wireless controller is in neutral. If a stick is tilted it will continually reappear. If that happens you can usually go into the Wii u menu and reorder the controllers, which will turn all wireless controllers off. However, if a button is pressed on the controller (in someone's pack for example) you're boned unless they check their controller.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Exiting from smash mode only works if the wireless controller is in neutral. If a stick is tilted it will continually reappear. If that happens you can usually go into the Wii u menu and reorder the controllers, which will turn all wireless controllers off. However, if a button is pressed on the controller (in someone's pack for example) you're boned unless they check their controller.
You are boned, because at this point the culprit is actively trying to troll the event. Of course the stick is in neutral. You can't just assume every player that uses a wireless control scheme of some kind has no idea what they're doing. But accidents do happen, so it's a good thing this fix to the issue is separate from the preventative measures I've already suggested. Unsyncing the controller, or yanking out the batteries after your set. The latter is the objectively better choice, but from what I'm reading, you can't take out the battery of a Wii U pro controller. I don't own one to check for myself, but it sounds like you can unsync the controller from a system by holding down the sync button for 15 seconds. There's also a method for unpairing controllers from the Home menu manually.

We already expect owners of setups to shell out additional money for gamecube adapters, why not take steps to inform people about this stuff? You'd all be furious too if you were told you couldn't play after months of study and practice. Just let me vent.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I imagine if enough people were to put Nintendo on notice. They may be willing to produce wired wii/wiiu pro controllers. I'd prefer a wired wii pro personally, it happens to be my absolute favorite controller for playing smash.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Dude, you should come to Paragon next month!! Glad you didn't fight any Sheiks--I'm legitimately thinking about going Jigglypuff more in that MU solely because Jigglypuff can weave in and out and duck under needles....

Did you take out any big names?
Maaannnnn. Visiting the west coast is still on my eternal to-do list. Hopefully I'll be less broke by next EVO. I lucked out with Smashcon because it was in NoVa, less than an hour drive for me. And no, the only big name I fought was Nairo who kind of ripped me a new one.

About the wireless controller thing, there were several times during the event where setups were unable to be played on because of a wireless controller somewhere with the control stick tilted and messing up everything. A wired pro controller needs to happen because of the whole GC adapter nonsense.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Zigsta Zigsta You registering for Paragon? It's about an hour off for you (a little shorter for me).

NVM just saw your name. Derp.

@ Hitman JT Hitman JT All good. Gotta be careful with your savings. Just let us know when you find yourself in California. :)

@ a stray cat a stray cat Haha you already registered. Pretty cool. Hope to see you there.

@ Big Sean Big Sean Is that you I see on the registered participants list?

Last edited:

a stray cat

Smash Cadet
The Paragon rules have changed. The suicide clause is gone. I've emailed them to ask about it.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
About the wireless controller thing, there were several times during the event where setups were unable to be played on because of a wireless controller somewhere with the control stick tilted and messing up everything.
You just told us there was a ban on wireless controllers at Smashcon.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
@ Cassius. Cassius. Your advice from the video thread is going well for me. I'm still bad but I've broken a whole bunch of shields and gotten a heap of Side Bs from doing the things you suggested. The best player locally is still 3 stocking me sometimes which makes me sad but I suppose I just have to keep working on it. I feel like I've gotten better from stealing ideas from everyone else but perhaps because I don't have the mindset that those players have it's not particularly beneficial?

I'm not sure. I'll keep playing for a bit and see how everything pans out. Half of me wants to be successful but fighting the the other halfs urge to just give up and quit is difficult.

Also good morning Bowsers!

bowser frame 11.png

a stray cat

Smash Cadet
@ Cassius. Cassius. Your advice from the video thread is going well for me. I'm still bad but I've broken a whole bunch of shields and gotten a heap of Side Bs from doing the things you suggested. The best player locally is still 3 stocking me sometimes which makes me sad but I suppose I just have to keep working on it. I feel like I've gotten better from stealing ideas from everyone else but perhaps because I don't have the mindset that those players have it's not particularly beneficial?

I'm not sure. I'll keep playing for a bit and see how everything pans out. Half of me wants to be successful but fighting the the other halfs urge to just give up and quit is difficult.

Also good morning Bowsers!

View attachment 67651
Wow, you tease!

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
As much as I want to say I'm teasing, I only really posted that to make my post seem more relevant. kek

Maybe one day though.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
@ Zigsta Zigsta You registering for Paragon? It's about an hour off for you (a little shorter for me).

NVM just saw your name. Derp.

@ Hitman JT Hitman JT All good. Gotta be careful with your savings. Just let us know when you find yourself in California. :)

@ a stray cat a stray cat Haha you already registered. Pretty cool. Hope to see you there.

@ Big Sean Big Sean Is that you I see on the registered participants list?
Yeah it is! @ a stray cat a stray cat and I are going to try to do doubles. We have to have get some friendlies in!

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Because Sheik is too good.

Yoshi might be the antithesis to Bowser though. Pretty much polar opposites.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Because Sheik is too good.

Yoshi might be the antithesis to Bowser though. Pretty much polar opposites.
They both have bombs.

I'm thinking Kirby's a good second. Good matchups with Shiek, ZSS, and Fox. Doesn't get comboed to high hell, great offstage game, ducks under things like needles and lasers, and inhale is the best move ever.

MrEh

Smash Hero
It's almost as if Sakurai picked and chose moves that he FELT would be ok.

Luigi's fireballs? Ok.

Mario's fireballs? Woah let's not get carried away now!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Finally got a response on the suicide clause. Right now Bowser wins ONLY if it goes to sudden death. People pushed to have SSS's ruleset to be used at Paragon. I'm trying to get other SoCal TOs to weigh in because the standard is the initiator wins regardless of result screen. I even used this rule to get a win last tournament at Fire and Dice (my opponent was super salty too).

Cross your fingers....

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Hmm, I was spacing jab 1 against Lucas and he just ran in and USmashed. Jab 1 did nothing and my hurtbox was extended into the USmash, netting Lucas the KO. Does his USmash have invul frames or something at startup?

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Hmm, I was spacing jab 1 against Lucas and he just ran in and USmashed. Jab 1 did nothing and my hurtbox was extended into the USmash, netting Lucas the KO. Does his USmash have invul frames or something at startup?
Yeppers. Can't even grab em.

Just block it and punish if you can.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529

You just have to keep at it, man. Playing Bowser will teach you a lot about the game, and will give you a better perspective and attitude on how the game works. Not having much of the dumb **** that the top cast has does suck, but it really does make you sit down and understand the game at a fundamental level.

You just have to change your mentality when you play Smash, especially as Bowser. Every Bowser player has a different attitude and perspective on the game.

And I can tell you right now, nothing is going to happen over night. You've made progress obviously since you're getting more grabs and breaking shields, but there's still a lot to learn as a player and with Bowser's tools. Just keep playing.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It's official. Paragon changed its ruleset so that Bowser wins upon Koopacide, regardless of results screen.

We did it, boys.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I think that if tough guy is changed, it should only be good enough to armor non-catchable projectiles that don't launch. It doesn't need to work on close ranged moves though. Of your opponent gets in, they earned the hit. And since all of the stupid infi-jab nonsense has been patched out (hopefully), that won't be too bad anyway. That sounds like a fair way to balance it. I think it could be more effective on some projectiles than others as well. I really would like late armor on needles for instance but it could wear off earlier vs something like fireballs. Or, maybe they could just balance out needles instead. That'd probably be much better, since it'd help out a lot more characters.

herpyderpherper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
trjcchapple
So this time i got 2-0d by another Bowser and then had to leave early because i had band camp in the morning, id say last time went a lot better, i forget exactly how the first match went , but the second match i was losing and Bowsercided to even it up, then i got janked out by delfino(johns), i honestly feel bad now because ive been playing Bowser since week 3 and then i got 2-0d even if the games were close

MrEh

Smash Hero
PK Love is now the true bringer of death.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm late with this, but I just wanted to say that Smash Con was a great experience, overall. I got 65th out of 740+, which is nothing amazing, but I'm not an amazing player yet, so it fits! My Bowser tore through everyone in my two rounds of pools except for Nairo and a rock-solid Luigi player who got 25th. That was the first time I've ever lost the Bowser/Luigi matchup in tournament, so my hat is off to him.

Also, I met @ Hitman JT Hitman JT in person, as you guys already know. He was a cool dude, and we played a ton of hilarious Bowser dittos. He outplaced me in the bracket, and he proved his superiority over me in the ditto, so I freely admit that he is the better player..........for now. ;)

I definitely hope to cross paths (as well as Klaws) with you again, Troof. It was awesome to finally meet you.

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
It's hard to have a character to fight against the top tiers when you're excluding most of the top tiers.

(Play Diddy and ZSS)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You know. There is really no ****ing excuse why Tough Guy doesn't work to counteract Needles.
Holy ****.

With that and an autoguard on Dair, the Sheik matchup would practically be manageable...

"Oh? You're gonna throw needles at me for 11%? I'm gonna run through them and klaw you for 18..."

Top Bottom