• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Gonna do some labbing on Friday for M2, but I might lab Koo-Pah for kill percents on various types of characters, if it hasn't already been done. I could definitely use it since I keep missing the opportunity to use the combo to kill.

Characters I plan on testing on include: :4mario:,:4falcon:,:4ganondorf: , :4jigglypuff: or :4kirby:, :4rob:, :4sheik: and possibly :4zss:.

To represent Average, Fast Faller, Heavyweight, Lightweight, Tall/Midweight, Top Tier respectively.

If you guys think I should use different characters to represent the various categories, let me know.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oh, I want to know how those people feel when they're playing against me and they are dominating, but get in too close and lose the match to an on ground down B. Like, I feel like some level of salt must be involved there.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Gonna do some labbing on Friday for M2, but I might lab Koo-Pah for kill percents on various types of characters, if it hasn't already been done. I could definitely use it since I keep missing the opportunity to use the combo to kill.
See here. The second tab on the bottom is testing when usmash can be used as a followup.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
See here. The second tab on the bottom is testing when usmash can be used as a followup.
Super helpful. When it says 'kills at,' it's referring to the combo as a whole, not just U-Air, correct? I'll definitely have to memorize these so I know when I can get the kill as early as possible. Securing a KO is something that I struggle with a tad bit more now that Koo-Pah requires much more precision.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Super helpful. When it says 'kills at,' it's referring to the combo as a whole, not just U-Air, correct? I'll definitely have to memorize these so I know when I can get the kill as early as possible. Securing a KO is something that I struggle with a tad bit more now that Koo-Pah requires much more precision.
Yes, I believe those numbers are before uthrow is initiated. Not my list though, I believe it belongs to @1PokeMastr (goes by a different name in the Bowser discord so I get things mixed up). The window can be pretty tight with rage and DI changing those numbers (and occasionally missing one, I'm terrible at catching DI in for some reason).

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I believe those numbers are before uthrow is initiated. Not my list though, I believe it belongs to @1PokeMastr (goes by a different name in the Bowser discord so I get things mixed up). The window can be pretty tight with rage and DI changing those numbers (and occasionally missing one, I'm terrible at catching DI in for some reason).
Well, I suppose I could find kill percentages with rage factored in? Since I use a GameCube controller for personal play, I can use the GamePad to control the various characters I listed and then post my results, if you think it would be helpful.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Well, I suppose I could find kill percentages with rage factored in? Since I use a GameCube controller for personal play, I can use the GamePad to control the various characters I listed and then post my results, if you think it would be helpful.
The numbers that would be hella useful are the bair numbers!

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
The numbers that would be hella useful are the bair numbers!
Could you elaborate, please? Like, B-Air kill percentages with U-Throw? Or just straight B-Air? I'll lab any moves that you guys feel need attention, but details would be highly appreciated!

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
more like, which characters at which percentages, is up throw -> bair a true combo. kills %s would be nice but just to know when we could bair would be amazing.

Last edited:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sometimes I wonder if people want to play against bowser online. I've rain into several people who just don't try.

I would try Anther's ladder, but I don't think I'm ready for that, yet. I'm really bad at smash and playing against people who are good will frustrate me alot. Especially since I play Bowser most frequently.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Bowser vs Bayonetta is 90-10 bayonetta favour
You think so?

I've played a lot of bayos as bowser and never had as much trouble as a 90-10 would suggest. Sure, she's got combos and speed, but bowsers got weight (and by extension, great use of rage), and grabs to beat out witch time.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
But that weight with floatiness makes him combo fodder, and despite good DI, Bowser will come VERY close to death if not giving Bayo free 0-death combos off the top...

Despite her somewhat mediocre frame data, Bowser suffers the same problem, except she has serious combo game that allows her to continuously stack crazy damage. On top of that, she has a decent projectile, a good edgeguard game, and better mobility/approach options. She beats us pretty bad. That's not to say it can't be won, but it's going to be a very uphill battle.

King of koopas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Speed Brony
3DS FC
1032-2019-6021
I don't struggle too hard with bayonetta. Being side-B-ed for a 30% combo gets really frustrating though.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
But that weight with floatiness makes him combo fodder, and despite good DI, Bowser will come VERY close to death if not giving Bayo free 0-death combos off the top...

Despite her somewhat mediocre frame data, Bowser suffers the same problem, except she has serious combo game that allows her to continuously stack crazy damage. On top of that, she has a decent projectile, a good edgeguard game, and better mobility/approach options. She beats us pretty bad. That's not to say it can't be won, but it's going to be a very uphill battle.
I still wouldn't call it 90-10 bad. I feel like ZSS has still got the crown in terms of our worst matchup. I have yet to struggle very much against Bayonetta, although I believe that is purely because I haven't faced somebody who plays her, so I would say 70-30 or 75-25 Bayo's favor feels more appropriate.

So my high school has a Smash Club that I just got back from, with mixed feelings.

One of our more decent players who is a sort-of jack-of-trades played my Bowser for about 2-3 rounds and I beat him pretty successfully (2 times while he was Ryu, once as Lucario) and after the Lucario match, he had been pretty upset and left the room for a while. Seeing him the way he was kind of brought me down a bit.

He'd come back later and I beat his Sheik twice as Bowser, the latter time getting a hard read Side-Smash and barely winning, before finally just going Donkey Kong who he managed to beat. He seemed to feel better until we played Doubles and I took his last stock again.

I'm not sure whether to feel great because I beat one of our most technical players when he played a high tier and Sheik, or bummed because of how upset he seemed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Why should you?

No one ever feels bad for bowser players. We're just hurtboxes and combo food to everyone else. Did anyone besides bowser players lament the unjust sideB and upthrow nerfs? No.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
BarSoapSoup BarSoapSoup
It's good to worry about the balance of the club, but be sure to draw a line for yourself. If your opponent throws salt, you may need to accept that your opponent knows no other way to handle the frustration. Don't let it get to you and continue to be a good sport. You guys are young. There's a lot of pent up energy. No need to bum yourself out.

Last edited:

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
BarSoapSoup BarSoapSoup
It's good to worry about the balance of the club, but be sure to draw a line for yourself. If your opponent throws salt, you may need to accept that your opponent knows no other way to handle the frustration. Don't let it get to you and continue to be a good sport. You guys are young. There's a lot of pent up energy. No need to bum yourself out.
That's pretty sound advice, I suppose. I generally just don't enjoy making peers, colleagues, or just people I know in general feel bad when playing a game, especially Smash.

No one ever feels bad for bowser players. We're just hurtboxes and combo food to everyone else. Did anyone besides bowser players lament the unjust sideB and upthrow nerfs? No.
Even if they were unnecessary, that doesn't mean they ought to feel bad for us. A lot of people have their own characters to focus on. I didn't feel bad because I beat his so-and-so, I felt bad because he was there for the same reason as me and I was taking away his enjoyment of it. But I think UltimaLuminaire has a strong point.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Why should you?

To be fair, I've talked to a few non-Bowser players who have been like, "Why did they take this away from Bowser?"

Not many, but enough to give them credit.

Hell, we've all seen other characters get nerfed and been like, "Wait, what? WHY?!"...

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I have been on both ends of the Bowser salt before, having played him on and off since launch. Idk how to feel about him. He's pretty easy, but his weaknesses are super apparent. I think at low to mid level he's very potent, since he gets big punishes off of grabs. He's very good in and out of shield as well.
I'm very confused about this character. I have always been a Bowser fan. I mained him in PM until it the most recent update because he's crap now. I decided to get serious with him in 4 after his big buffs, but between the salt and me finding him too linear, he hasn't really held my interest for some reason.
As I have tried more and more to understand neutral, and other concepts, Bowser has once again peaked my interest. I dunno. I'm so deep in my own head about mains that I don't know what's going on anymore.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
I have been on both ends of the Bowser salt before, having played him on and off since launch. Idk how to feel about him. He's pretty easy, but his weaknesses are super apparent. I think at low to mid level he's very potent, since he gets big punishes off of grabs. He's very good in and out of shield as well.
I'm very confused about this character. I have always been a Bowser fan. I mained him in PM until it the most recent update because he's crap now. I decided to get serious with him in 4 after his big buffs, but between the salt and me finding him too linear, he hasn't really held my interest for some reason.
As I have tried more and more to understand neutral, and other concepts, Bowser has once again peaked my interest. I dunno. I'm so deep in my own head about mains that I don't know what's going on anymore.
That's just how characters are. They all have their own special nuances that distinguish them from other characters. We play Bowser because we like his character and he suits our playstyle, linear or not. Even if a Boeing 747 is easier to land than Bowser, I'm not going to stop maining him. Gotta find a way to work around the weaknesses of the characters you enjoy playing. When you find a character who's weaknesses you can tolerate/work around and fits your playstyle, you have your main.

D

Deleted member 189823

You folk got a capture card? I got 3-4 cool Bowser matches I'd like to upload.

D

Deleted member 189823

No, I mean. I don't have a WiiU at home, so I had to put them up on Share through a WiiU setup at Versus (tournament place). You can find them there on Share, I'll just tell you how. It's how I had another upload them for me last time:

Basically, look up the the matches with Pikachu. The ones that are against Bowser, you'll notice it's me. If memory serves, they took place in Smashville, Town and City and in Dreamland respectively. They were 3 matches, but there may be an extra one (not super sure about it).

I'd be really thankful, they're cool matches.

arcticfox_14

Smash Cadet
NNID
arcticfox14
Should be done processing shortly, feel free to post it wherever. :)
https://youtu.be/5li2nCyLQfU

Edit: Just realized I left the quality on my streaming settings instead of recording, so it's 30fps 720p instead of 60fps 1080p. Let me know if you'd like me to re-record at max settings for prettiness. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

I'm actually pretty content with the quality. I'm also surprised and really thankful of how quick you made it all.
Mind if I bug you for another 3 matches? It's pretty much it, for now. Don't want to abuse, lol.

Also, did you see the matches? Any thoughts?

D

Deleted member 189823

Thank you. (:

For starters, they're all Corrin matches. 1 is a seperate match against a seperate player, he went Falco. This one's on Town and City, if memory serves well. The other match is a set against C.Falcon and takes place on BF and Smashville, respectively.

Oz (Corrin) vs. Eurika (Falco)
Oz (Corrin vs. MasK (C.Falcon)

If you can, put them as Unlisted. I didn't exactly ask for their permission to upload them, but I don't want to go around bragging about them, either. I just want them for myself and critique stuff.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Man. I entered a local just to see where I was at and I got bodied by a Mac player. I didn't know what to do and I choked.

He was doing alot of running forward into roll dodge back. His moves were safe in the sense that he would be placed behind me. No options for that, really. I was juggled alot because I didn't want to make myself vulnerable by doing moves in the air. And then that KO move won him his matches.

I was also getting bodied by a Pikachu. But I never played a Pikachu before. This guy knew combos. I couldn't air dodge out of alot his stuff until I was already at, like 50%

Pretty disheartened. I feel like if I really want to play, I might have to pick up a character who's better than Bowser. But I love Bowser.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Back rolls can be hard to punish if you're not ready for them.
I wouldn't worry about the Pikachu combos. He has long ones and Bowser is a big guy, so I wouldn't reach so hard for air dodges. Bowser as a character is the sort who is going to take a lot of damage, but he can take it. You need to be patient and take those hits. Find your openings, and take them far.
You may want to work on some pocket characters just in case, but if you like Bowser, stick with it.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Man. I entered a local just to see where I was at and I got bodied by a Mac player. I didn't know what to do and I choked.

He was doing alot of running forward into roll dodge back. His moves were safe in the sense that he would be placed behind me. No options for that, really. I was juggled alot because I didn't want to make myself vulnerable by doing moves in the air. And then that KO move won him his matches.

I was also getting bodied by a Pikachu. But I never played a Pikachu before. This guy knew combos. I couldn't air dodge out of alot his stuff until I was already at, like 50%

Pretty disheartened. I feel like if I really want to play, I might have to pick up a character who's better than Bowser. But I love Bowser.
You just need to get better with bowser.

That probably sounds like terrible advice, but honestly, you really need to just accept that bowser is combo food and that isnt going to change. Once you play certain matchups and lab enough, you get a feel for what you can punish, what you cant punish, what you can punish with, and what you cant punish with.

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice

I will tell you from experience anybody who is going to be good with a heavy character has to have the demeanor such that they don't get frustrated while being comboed. Bowser, unlike other characters who get comboed as much as him/nearly as much as him actually has the weight to survive those higher percents, too. Pikachu can juggle characters like Fox and Link relatively hard and they both weigh far less.

Are you other bowser mains the type who go for bowser bomb edge-guarding? I know how rewarding it can be, but I feel like in the actual tournament setting I would be too nervous to get the proper spacing and worry that I could come short from the ledge and get punished or even worse overshoot and SD.
On a side note though, rage downB can be ridiculous. I was losing a match so hard to a kirby and was around 130 rage and managed to star K.O him while under 75% after the hit.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Are you other bowser mains the type who go for bowser bomb edge-guarding? I know how rewarding it can be, but I feel like in the actual tournament setting I would be too nervous to get the proper spacing and worry that I could come short from the ledge and get punished or even worse overshoot and SD.
On a side note though, rage downB can be ridiculous. I was losing a match so hard to a kirby and was around 130 rage and managed to star K.O him while under 75% after the hit.
I feel it's too risky to try at times, especially since Bowser has a variety of better edge-guard tools like whirling Fortress, F-tilt and F-tilt, or just running off the ledge and using Bowser's aerials. Bowser Bombing the ledge feels like it would be in the same league as Down Smash in that it should be used sparingly.

arcticfox_14

Smash Cadet
NNID
arcticfox14
With good timing it can be a reliable way to beat recoveries that don't snap to ledge (Shulk, Little Mac, Kirby, etc.) since the upswing can catch their hurtbox and fling them into the bomb's path. As for being nervous about its use, I'd say just use it a lot during low-stakes play like FG or friendlies. After awhile the spacing will be second nature.

Top Bottom