• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser strats and discoveries discussion

cmpr94x

Smash Lord

Bowser Strategies and Discoveries Discussion​

I saw someone doing this in the Luigi threads and I think this might help bowser's "metagame." He needs all the help he can get. I want this to be a discussion thread about Bowser's strategies and new discoveries. Please make your posts detailed. I will be editing the OP with things I find and contributions from other people. This is not a match up thread.

1. Infinite Jump
This is Bowser's main discovery. You can jump infinitely by doing jump side b. I do not think that this is a great strategy if abused but, if used sparingly. It can be used with DiasFlac's wave fire to surprise the opponent.

2. Firebreath

a) Normal fire- can be used to punish opponent. If you hold this too long small/light characters will DI into you and punish. It can be angled and is very useful against heavy character like DK and D3. This is one of Bowser's spacing moves. It can also be used as an edgeguard by simply standing on the ledge and breathing of the stage in a down wards direction.

b) Switch Flame- Can be used as a mind game. Start walking away from the opponent and if they take the bait, switch flame them. This is executed by press b then backwards right after it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=a8aRy0u_xao

c) Return Fire- I have not found much use to this because it is slow to start and it has risks. If you mess up you will die. It is executed by dropping from ledge then quickly jumping and then using fire.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a8aRy0u_xao

d) "Wave fire"- I think that this is very useful and it looks cool:). This can be used well with the infinite jump. More mind games. It is also good for punish an opponent from the air. You can use aerial momentum to "bounce" you backwards or forwards as you turn around and use fire. This move can be used aggressively or defensively.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iR8wNms537M&feature=related

3. Bowser's grab game
a) Bowser does not have very many combos out of his grabs but I have found two that work pretty well. At about 20+ percent up throw to uair is good. You can also use fair or nair. Also, forward throw to side b seems to work pretty well.

4. Fortress
a) Attacking with fortress- Fortress (Bowser's up b) is a good punish attack when done out of a shield. You can hit with all nine parts of it if you short hop fast fall it. If you miss you can DI away. You can also run at your opponent and then go into Fortress. If you do it correctly and DI away it is hard to punish and you will possibly even get in one hit.

b) Fortress Hogging- The whirling fortress can be used to edgehog, just fortress towards the edge and DI toward stage once you start falling off.

Bowser's Air Game
Bowser has very strong aerials particularly uair, it works well to bait people into an airdodge and then fast fall into uair. Also works well for edgegaurding. People will be expecting a fair so you can suprise them with this. Bowsser's dair is also a good move. Although the ending lag is terrible, it can be difficult to punish because when landing on the ground becuase it pushes enemies out on the last hit. I have also found that it is semiuseful for edgegaurding. Hop off the stage, to d dair, jump again and fortress back to the stage.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Cool stuff. I actually have some matches of me putting return fire to use but not many that are worth posting up here. I'll record some matches today of me putting it to use on two different players.

Its still pretty difficult for me to pull off but in time I'll have it down to a science.

Wave Fire however is very useful on many different levels. I've learned the reverse Wave Fire which is done by doing a turn a bout then pulling off the "Wave Fire" as stated in my video. Once you do this you will do a Reverse Wave Fire. (its easier then it sounds)

(btw its been proven that the infinity grabs don't work and can be escaped with all characters)

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
I want this thread to grow and you are setting it back, please put in relevant stuff.

Culinary

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing Bowser for awhile now and I think his Uair is probably one of his most important moves but is still under utilized.

Uair kills at fairly low percentages and can be used in some surprising ways. What I like to do is bait an air dodge when an opponent is falling from above you. If you double jump and wait a bit instead of doing the Uair straight out of the jump, you'll usually hit right as they are coming out of the air dodge. It works really well on a character like ROB. If he doesn't have a double jump left, his only options are air dogding or trying to comabt the upair. Since ROB's Dair and Nair are so slow to come out, you'll usually hit him for the kill at best or get hit and still hit him at worst. It isn't foolproof and as with anything in this game, you would need to vary your strategies up but this can lead to some pretty early kills off the top.

I tend to incorporate Uair as an edgeguard as well. Usually when jumping off a stage, most opponents suspect a fair, since it comes out pretty fast and Bowser can still recover pretty easily from it. In prep, they'll usually air dodge or double jump into an air dodge. I usually jump out like I'm going to fair, fastfall then double jump into an Uair. It works surprisingly well. Again though, this is risky, you're really just playing with their head. If they catch on, it will be a quick spike instead of an airdodge or double jump, so be careful.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
I am updating the original post. Tell other people about this thread, it will be a lot better once expanded.

smash_pilgrim

Smash Cadet
B-sticking discovery

Today in the early morning i decided to practice with bowser having the B- stick on the classic controler. I found that when you dash for about a second and then press back B stick, he continues forward but turns and jumps backward, just the right height to grab marth(which i was using at the time). I Used bstick again and grabbed him usinf the same direction as before. I am not sure if this counts as a jump but you can do anything out of it including koopa hop, i am not sure about sjr though because i am skilled enough to pull it off. I am sure someone has found this out, but i didnt see it here. Try it out, it has alot of potential.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
It is called an auto rar. Were you dashing away from Marth or towards Marth? Was it grab height for the side b? Did bowser jump while automatically using the side b?

smash_pilgrim

Smash Cadet
It is called an auto rar. Were you dashing away from Marth or towards Marth? Was it grab height for the side b? Did bowser jump while automatically using the side b?
I was dashing toward him >>>> and when I pressed <Bstick while dashing bowser turned and jumped simutaniously over marth >>>>>, <B, >>>> air backwards, and marth was within klaw distance (the maximum air distance. He was in standing position with back turned on me.

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
I am going to update the OP soon, sorry I have not been monitoring this, there is a very sad lack of people posting here. Oh well.

Cmpr

isidro

Smash Apprentice
i like dashing at them and doing a whirling fortress as i reach them, if they block you just DI away from them, and it also takes their first hit then hits them

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
How about Bowser's Edgegame(or ledgegame i forgot the name)?

You could do different things while you are hanging on the edge.

1: Stall with the down to up-b quickly as i mentioned before. This could help you avoid certain attacks.
2: Use F-air's reach to hit those who are right next to the edge. This could help you get back on the stage.
3: Fastfall and quickly use your mid-air jump then perform a U-air against those who may try to pursue you from above.
4: For those who are trying to recover, depending on the situation, you can either use the Fastfalling to Up-B thing to gain invincibility frames which can help with edgehogging, or a quick B-air (Do your midair jump first if needed, but dont fastfall when doing this or u will die) if you want to push them back.
5: You can use Side-B against opponents very close to the edge to either help you get back on the stage, or to Bowsercide. Use whichever is necessary.

Idk if all of this is good, but that's what I have done before in some of my battles. Some of them really helped me a lot, and doing a surprise Bowsercide is funny. I'd love to see the expressions on their faces when the suddenly get pwned by a "Sneak attack!" :laugh:

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
i like dashing at them and doing a whirling fortress as i reach them, if they block you just DI away from them, and it also takes their first hit then hits them
I updated the original post with this.

Cool thread. Some good information. I don't really mind the font.
Thank you. :bee:

How about Bowser's Edgegame(or ledgegame i forgot the name)?

You could do different things while you are hanging on the edge.

1: Stall with the down to up-b quickly as i mentioned before. This could help you avoid certain attacks.
2: Use F-air's reach to hit those who are right next to the edge. This could help you get back on the stage.
3: Fastfall and quickly use your mid-air jump then perform a U-air against those who may try to pursue you from above.
4: For those who are trying to recover, depending on the situation, you can either use the Fastfalling to Up-B thing to gain invincibility frames which can help with edgehogging, or a quick B-air (Do your midair jump first if needed, but dont fastfall when doing this or u will die) if you want to push them back.
5: You can use Side-B against opponents very close to the edge to either help you get back on the stage, or to Bowsercide. Use whichever is necessary.

Idk if all of this is good, but that's what I have done before in some of my battles. Some of them really helped me a lot, and doing a surprise Bowsercide is funny. I'd love to see the expressions on their faces when the suddenly get pwned by a "Sneak attack!" :laugh:
Do you perform the fair right after you jump off of the ledge? I am sort of confused, is all of this performed after a drop down from ledge? Or is at from a jump off of the stage? Anyways, thank you for the info.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I updated the original post with this.

Thank you. :bee:

Do you perform the fair right after you jump off of the ledge? I am sort of confused, is all of this performed after a drop down from ledge? Or is at from a jump off of the stage? Anyways, thank you for the info.

I believe you are to move the control stick in the opposite direction of the ledge to safely drop, quickly use ur midair jump to gain height, and then the F-air to attack those closeby. If you do it super fast, you are able to use F-air, and get on the platform at the same time. It is recommended not to do it considering how it may cost you a life.

I think it's like "Lunging" (or however u spell it) at you opponent from the edge, like what many Marths do when they are at the edge, except getting back on the platform is very difficult and shouldnt be done, to prevent u from making a mistake.
& Your welcome. Im glad that I could be of some help for the other Bowsers.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
sounds silly to me the fact that grab attack deal no damage but then again I'm just going off the title not what was written which probably discribes in more detail the facts and info on what that person has found out about grab attack

making this post here worthless to read.

meh I was bored...

Spoon

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this is a discovery, but I was messing around in the wifi waiting room and found out that if you instantly faired out of a forward B infinite jump, you could follow it up with another forward b jump.

This basically means you can keep a continued fair chain going as long as you time the forward B jumps correctly. It's pretty cool, has this already been discovered? :O

EDIT: Holy crap, it's possible not only with fair but uair and bair as well. You can pretty much fly and abuse aerials!

EDIT: Omfg works with nair too. Only move you can't do it with is dair (but it may be possible on the platforms of battlefield and stuff like that, I'll have to check)

Anyway, I have a video up, it's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2YOMOEo9E8

Please check it out!

EDIT3: Already been discovered, oh well :(

Nils!

Smash Rookie
cmpr94x, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or thought of here previously, but setting specials for C-stick has helped me out in some regards with bowser. Since when I attack, I either tilt or charge my smash, I rarely use the c-stick. Setting specials to it was an interesting change.

Now, I'm a wee bit too lazy to test most of this (read as: I have other, more salaried work to do,) but I believe using the forteress via a diagonal-up cstick and slightly increase its speed/range. Regarding forward and backward tilts, putting them on c-stick is worthless unless you have reflexes and coordination that are as bad as mine. (Read as: unable to fluidly continue movement and do a directional at the same time)

Bowser-bomb, for a similar reason as with the koopa-klaw can have some interesting effects when used aerially; it also seems useful to me for (those of us with bad reflexes) dashing into a bowser-bomb. I've not tested diagonaling with this yet. Flame breath via directional c-stick... I've not yet been able to do properly. If somebody else could fiddle around with a special-c-stick Bowser and talk about the results, I'd much appreciate it.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
i dont know about this but i like to use it when someone is recovering stand on the edge and shoot firebreath up at them and then rake them down hopefully they will use their other jumps to try and escape and waste em i use it frequently on pit as even after u let them go when they try to recover with upb u can cancel it with a short burst of firebreath only thing is make sure you dont hold firebreath too long as the flames will get shorter and they will get pulled up

EDIT:forgot to mention it doesnt work on people who have super armour on their upb

Top Bottom