• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr.'s damage mitigation mechanic

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
@TheSMASHtyke tipped me off on this, otherwise I'd have never known.

Check this post and the post below it:

http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-weight-rankings.367479/page-4#post-17632272

An image for visualization purposes:

Being hit in the yellow zone makes you take less damage (damage multiplied by 0.88) but getting hit in the blue zone makes you take more damage (damage multiplied by 1.15).

I guess the clown car protects Bowser Jr.'s squishy and delicate(?) flesh :x

Edit: Yes you take more knockback if you get hit on the face than on the clown car.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@TheSMASHtyke tipped me off on this, otherwise I'd have never known.

Check this post and the post below it:

http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-weight-rankings.367479/page-4#post-17632272

An image for visualization purposes:

Being hit in the yellow zone makes you take less damage (damage multiplied by 0.88) but getting hit in the blue zone makes you take more damage (damage multiplied by 1.15).

I guess the clown car protects Bowser Jr.'s squishy and delicate(?) flesh :x
Wow, that's awesome. Really loving all the unique character elements in SSB4. It makes things a lot more interesting without making it too complicated.

This idea reminds me of fighting bosses in video games, where you want to attack their weak point. How genius is this?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Bowser Jr. crouch canceling is a thing now just LIKE I SAID! but only for attacks that connect with Jr.'s precious head.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
At least I know where I'll be aiming when I'm fighting him. I haven't seen his full moveset to see how many animations shift his body into the Koopa Klown Kar.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Oh wow, that's a neat feature!

Definitely brings up some potential new strategies and tactics for playing/fighting Junior and the Koopalings.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Peach floating and Dairing Bowser Jr. all day. Thanks for the "heads up" for the feature though.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So he never takes normal damage, only less or more.
...Huh.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Makes sense considering his recovery.
How is his knockback affected by it? how much weight the clown car gives him?

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Yay for realism, yay for armored flying clown cars.

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
So what I can surmise from this is that whenever I play Bowser Jr. I should always approach/dodge in a way that will minimize the chances of getting hit anywhere but the clown car. Interesting.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
This makes too much sense. ._.;

Hey, what happens when he's tumbling? Does the hit box follow his animations on screen?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So he has underside super armor?

What a wonderful element to make it seem to be from the game!
I love this playable clown car. Even if I don't remember it having hands before.

I'm so happy. What a wonderful character with the alts.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It's not super armor, just a damage reduction.

The fact that the game prioritizes hitting Junior instead of the car if both are being struck simultaneously makes me feel like it could be more detrimental then beneficial in numerous match-ups, though.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer I'm sorry, but Roy is doomed to bottom tier. Have you considered Iggy?

Really though, knowing that the upper hitbox takes priority makes it seem like Bowser Jr. will usually be suffering from the heavier blow. He's still overall heavier than average by a fair margin even if he always takes the extra damage, but I haven't seen a moveset that encourages jumping around a lot with him and it seems like most ground to ground stuff will hit him in the head (of course, any air to ground with Jr. on the ground will get the head hit). Characters who like to space with dtilts are not going to be fans of this at all; I'd probably look at the head multiplier as your "real" defense and just imagine yourself as having a special bonus against certain types of enemy attacks which is more going to go into nitty gritty risk-reward analysis than overarching character quality stuff. I mained Jigglypuff in Melee and G&W in Brawl so a character being lighter than they might otherwise be isn't exactly something that is likely to scare me away from their potential...

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Fantastic post! Yeah a character who seems lighter than they should be scares me. At least the character is fairly heavy to compensate, but still...

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I feel the need to clarify this seeing as I posted the original numbers, but this DOES affect knockback. I've been seeing on 4chan and gamefaqs and twitter ( @ Warchamp7 Warchamp7 >:[ ) people saying that it doesn't affect knockback, but the knockback formula is primarily determined by the damage % a move deals.

So yes, if you get hit by a Bowser ftilt in the face (12 x 1.15 = 13.8%) you will take MORE KNOCKBACK than if you were hit on the Clown Car (12 x 0.88 = 10.56%).

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
I feel the need to clarify this seeing as I posted the original numbers, but this DOES affect knockback. I've been seeing on 4chan and gamefaqs and twitter ( @ Warchamp7 Warchamp7 >:[ ) people saying that it doesn't affect knockback, but the knockback formula is primarily determined by the damage % a move deals.

So yes, if you get hit by a Bowser ftilt in the face (12 x 1.15 = 13.8%) you will take MORE KNOCKBACK than if you were hit on the Clown Car (12 x 0.88 = 10.56%).
I quoted a Reddit post, blame them.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I quoted a Reddit post, blame them.
I understand <3

It's just I don't want it coming back to me when these Bowser Jr. players are like "WHY AM I DYING MY CHARACTER IS FAT THE GUY WHO TESTED THIS ORIGINALLY SAID IT DIDN'T AFFECT KNOCKBACK" (when I never said that) and not realise that this mechanic pretty much destroys their heavyweight status into basically midweight.

Please understand.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
So how does this work with equipment that also reduces damage?

Is it 1 * 0.88 * 0.75?
Or is it 1 - (1 * (0.12 + 0.25))?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
What an interesting mechanic.

Good to know >:3 #JigglypuffBair

Strawhat Jiggs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Evolzar89
@ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer I'm sorry, but Roy is doomed to bottom tier. Have you considered Iggy?

Really though, knowing that the upper hitbox takes priority makes it seem like Bowser Jr. will usually be suffering from the heavier blow. He's still overall heavier than average by a fair margin even if he always takes the extra damage, but I haven't seen a moveset that encourages jumping around a lot with him and it seems like most ground to ground stuff will hit him in the head (of course, any air to ground with Jr. on the ground will get the head hit). Characters who like to space with dtilts are not going to be fans of this at all; I'd probably look at the head multiplier as your "real" defense and just imagine yourself as having a special bonus against certain types of enemy attacks which is more going to go into nitty gritty risk-reward analysis than overarching character quality stuff. I mained Jigglypuff in Melee and G&W in Brawl so a character being lighter than they might otherwise be isn't exactly something that is likely to scare me away from their potential...
So does playing as one of the Koopalings actually effect Jr.'s hurtbox size? Because I was under the impression that they were just alts.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Bit of a shame this means Lemmy isn't the runt. And Morton isn't XBOX HUEG.

Top Bottom