• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Interview Thread - ASK MREH QUESTIONS!!!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Hey guys and gals!

We did this back on the Bowser boards, and it was really fun AND a great way to learn about not only Bowser tips but most importantly who some of the players are behind the character we all know and love. We've been getting a lot of new members lately (which is AWESOME), so I figured now would be a great time to jumpstart a brand spankin' new Bowser Interview Thread for our Smash 4 board.

It's pretty simple--you have ONE week to vote for who you want to see interviewed. For this first round, I'll keep voting open until 7 PM PST next Tuesday, 6/2. Whoever receives the most votes gets interviewed!

You then have one week to post as many questions as you'd like to the interviewee. Interviewees may either answer the questions as they come in or just wait and answer them the following week. Once it's all said and done, I'll collect all the answers and put them in a spoiler tag in this OP for posterity.

Got a favorite member you'd like to hear more about? Vote away!

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
Haha, this seems like a fun idea!
I'm one of the newbies so I don't know much about anyone on these boards.
If I had to choose one person, maybe it would be @ Cassius. Cassius.
When I was lurking I did notice that he was not pro-customs, which is interesting considering Bowser gets (objectively) better with them. Which, I'm the same way; I'm not a fan of customs.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
If Cassius has more to say about Non-Custom Bowser then I am all for it. I like Dash Slash I really do but I find myself going back to no custom moves yet again.

Having a punish option exclusively for shields seems great IMO.

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
I really just personally prefer default side b for the landing mix-up and to punish shied-grabbers. Dash slash just feels unnatural to me.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I think Dash Slash is more aggressive and Flying Slam attributes more to the defensive style that Bowser has.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I don't play Bowser competitively, (because I'm horrible and can't) but he's my absolute favorite casual character and I've always been really drawn to him whenever I play. He's a lot of fun to play with. So I am not sure who I would ask seeing as how I don't know who all plays Bowser well.
HOWEVER! I do have a question for whoever gets picked.

Q: Why did you initially pick Bowser and decide to main him competitively?

Last edited:

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I vote for Cassius, as well.

Of course, I'd love to see an interview for every prominent Bowser, eventually.

MrEh

Smash Hero
It's probably just gonna go Cassius/Zigsta/Me and then work down.

That's how it always is. LOL

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
@ Cassius. Cassius.
1. What about Bowser do you like the most about? What makes him stand out from the rest of the cast?

2. What are some quotes of his (from any game he's been in) that you find most memorable?

3. What quality in customs turn you off from them?
(@ Zigsta Zigsta Is it one Q per person or nah?)

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
What is your favorite breakfast cereal?

How do you feel about the changes to Bowser's core moves? Notably Jab, Fortress, and Klaw.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
1) What do you see as a weakness in your current style and what are you trying to do to resolve it?

2) What's the next big tech you're trying to learn?

3) What is your weakest matchup and how do you think you will try to approach it in the future?

4) How do you feel about jab 1 frame traps? Are there some follow up options you prefer to others? Are there any reads you use when choosing which what kind of follow up you'll try to use?

5) I know that you don't use fortress as much as a lot of other bowsers. What are some situations where you feel like you need to fortress and some situations where you've found adequate replacements for it.

6) Are you planning on going to evo and if not, what about beating ZeRo in grand finals do you find unappealing?

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
How do you feel about Bowser still not having his epic SMG/BiS voice but Bowser Jr and co. having their's?

You think they will ever give us Klaw back to form or do you think Magicant screwed us?

Should Tough Guy be buffed?

Lastly what is your favorite way to KO an opponent?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
oh ****. uh...hold on

@ Cassius. Cassius.
1. What about Bowser do you like the most about? What makes him stand out from the rest of the cast?

2. What are some quotes of his (from any game he's been in) that you find most memorable?

3. What quality in customs turn you off from them?
1. What I like most about Bowser is a 6 year old reason, really. In Brawl, he was a pretty bad character, but still had unique theories and concepts. He had an invincible OoS option, a command grab that was pretty much the core of his gameplan (AND GRAB ARMOR EXISTED), and he actually got guaranteed punishes off of grab releases on 38 characters. That attracted me a lot, and made me want to improve my Brawl Bowser game entirely.

Anyway, the first few sentences are what I liked the most about Bowser, but of course this is a different game. As for what I like about Bowser in Smash 4...not much, honestly. He doesn't have anything that I'm really accustomed to using, but it's safe to say that I have tried my best to adapt to the Bowser change and am sticking with him, of course. I've been playing Bowser for 6, damn near 7 years now. I am a Bowser player. The one thing that's keeping me with him, aside from the fact that I am pretty much him at this point, is that he hits very hard, and you can put legitimate fear into people, whereas in Brawl there was just the fact that no one really knew what I was doing. It was all gimmicks.

I have a background in fighting games (I am good at these, as well), but the characters I tend to play are very reliant on setplay (Zero/Doom/Dante in Marvel, Seth in Ultra, etc.)...that's not to say that I play top tiers, or even play vortex chars in every game, but having the ability to execute a gameplan and play "the perfect game" appeals to me. Bowser is a character that exudes confidence, and it shows in this game. I am used to turning a game, or a complete set in my favor off of one stray hit, or one simple mistake. I am a player that relies on metacognition, and can notice players' bad habits, thought processes, etc I am also introspective, and can see when I am doing things wrong and fix it. So being able to really get a hit, and get the bang for my buck is appealing to me as well. I only have to hit someone three times, get combo'd for a bit to get rage, and suddenly they're scared? AND all I have to do is grab them once with Side-B to kill them? Not bad, right?

As for what makes him stand out...come on now. He's Bowser. That should stand out enough to you. He's no longer a character that's absolute trash. You have the ability to proudly remove the "absolute" from the phrase!

2. Mostly BiS quotes, but aside from the memorable "SHOWTIME" and paging the King of Awesome

edit: I found a page with the quotes, so here:
  • "I'm lightning in a bottle! I'm an earthquake in a can!" (SMRPG)
      • "Like the moon over
    • The day, my genius and brawn
      Are lost on these fools." (SMRPG AKA Best Haiku of all time)
  • "Bwah ha ha! Will I marry Peach? Are you kidding me? The answer's YESSSSSSSS!" (Super Paper Mario)
  • "GWAHAHA! Great dark hurricane! Seriously, perfect backdrop for an awesome final battle! You really sweat the details! Listen up! You're saying the kingdom will vanish? NOT TODAY! THIS KINGDOM IS ALL MINE! SO YOU VANISH! (BiS)
  • "Give it to me straight. Princess Peach is gone? Hello? That is MY thing! Only I get to kidnap her! TREASON!" (DT)
3. I'm really not in the mood to talk about customs, but all I will say is that custom Bowser in itself doesn't fit my style. I have no problem getting a good Dash Slash hit and comboing into an aerial to kill you; I know how the move works, and how to properly use it--that's the hallmark of a seasoned Bowser/player in general. Dash Slash does a lot for Bowser that a lot of players probably don't even realize. That's not the issue. I get a lot of my kills off of the command grab, and I'm used to sharking through platforms with it. Why would I give that up? Watching a lot of videos of Bowsers using Dash Slash, and custom sets with mid-level tournament players is honestly disgusting. Have you taken a look at them? It's almost as if people actually don't know how to play Smash anymore. You hand people a game-breaking or neutral-breaking move, and expect that it will win them games. Customs aren't a substitute for skill; players still have to play neutral and earn the hit. If you are a bad player, customs won't change that. You'll just be a bad player with customs on.

And because of the great divide, a lot of players don't take the game seriously and aim to prove the point that customs blow, and will actually just pick cyclone kong or sapling villager just for the ****s (I am one of them). That doesn't do anything to help the customs meta advance, because there are a bunch of characters that haven't been explored yet.

I also hate this game lol, so just seeing customs jank makes it even worse to me.

It also has to do with the media. I feel as though the pull for customs was the result of the anticipated onset of early Smash 4 hate and the desire to save a game that honestly wasn't even on the verge of dying. it was only 3 months old at the end of Apex, going on 4. ESports is a gift and a curse to gaming, especially for games that aren't on the forefront of it, like Smash. A lot of changes that go on for this game are just due to the viewers being put before the players.

To me, the whole customs movement was far too early, and probably should have been a side event. But we'll see how EVO goes. I'm just not a fan, and I haven't been.

What is your favorite breakfast cereal?

How do you feel about the changes to Bowser's core moves? Notably Jab, Fortress, and Klaw.
Favorite breakfast cereal is Cinnamon Toast Crunch. That's the cliche answer, but if I eat it too much I get sick of it and have to balance it with Fruity Pebbles. (Apple Cinnamon Cheerios are actually ridiculous).

I think the changes to his core moves are absolute ****. I'm sure you're aware of that lol

I still think Jab is pretty good for what it's worth. It's just in a game where 5 frames or lower is the standard, which makes it seem like it sucks. I'm very glad that it leaves opponents high enough for frame traps.

I'm not sure if anyone will really understand how beautiful Bowser would be if his up-B OoS was still invincible and we were able to reach the ledge with it while onstage. I hate having to wait my turn in this game. If you hit my shield, I'm blowing you up--that's it. It hits multiple times, so it's good to cover options with now, which I suppose is important since rolls are ridiculous in this game. The fortress boost is great.

I don't even know why I complain about Up-B anyway, I don't use it that much for it to deserve so much disdain for me. However...

I hate Klaw. It's only saving graces is that it kills, and a lot of players are bad at this game, so they shield or do something stupid when they're scared, so I Klaw them anyway. But I hate it. hatehatehatehatehatehateit.

1) What do you see as a weakness in your current style and what are you trying to do to resolve it?

2) What's the next big tech you're trying to learn?

3) What is your weakest matchup and how do you think you will try to approach it in the future?

4) How do you feel about jab 1 frame traps? Are there some follow up options you prefer to others? Are there any reads you use when choosing which what kind of follow up you'll try to use?

5) I know that you don't use fortress as much as a lot of other bowsers. What are some situations where you feel like you need to fortress and some situations where you've found adequate replacements for it.

6) Are you planning on going to evo and if not, what about beating ZeRo in grand finals do you find unappealing?
1. A big weakness of mine in this game especially is that I tend to respect my opponents too much until I see something glaring that I can take advantage of. Because I'm not playing a top tier character or a character with superb frame data, I don't really have anything that I can abuse and get away with for free. If my opponent isn't scared or is covering up their habits with something, it's hard for me to force my way in and get into their head.

2. As far as tech goes, there's nothing that I've seen that's worth learning. I actually have really good execution (like anime-game standards), and can do pretty much all of the tech that's on the forefront of the game (except for Frame Cancelling...but come on.) Part of the problem too is that a lot of momentum-based technology in this game doesn't really apply to Bowser (perfect pivoting doesn't send him anywhere, and you have no business being directly in someone's face anyway as Bowser. There's a specific zone you need to be in that allows you to punish anything they do but not put yourself at risk.). Save Dash Slash gimmicks, nothing really applies to him. He has no combos, he has no grace. I do need to get more consistent at ledge trumping though. I can do it when it counts, but it irritates me when I flub it because I'm missing chances to end stocks early, and I'm forcing myself to play neutral for a lot longer than I need to.

3. My weakest match ups are probably ones that I'm not too familiar with; it's extremely easy to get janked out (Mii Brawler). Against characters that I vehemently despise (Yoshi, Rosalina, Olimar), I'm actually not that bad, it's just my personal distaste that gets in the way. For MUs concerning metagame-relevant characters...uhhhh, I guess I'm bad against Sonic and Luigi?...moreso Luigi I guess. Luigi's extremely common now, and Sonic always has been, but the reward that Luigi gets from a grab is substantially higher than almost every character in this game. The match up requires too much meticulous decision making in order to not get killed from some random thing. In the future, if I do happen to perform really badly against them, I'll just play Sheik. Against Luigi, I would probably just ditto them or play Sheik lol. Luigi dittos are completely cancerous, and it doesn't take that much to have a proficient top-5 character in this game as long as you have a really good understanding of neutral.

4. Jab 1 frame traps are great, but you have to be aware of what you're doing or what followups you're attempting to go for. If you haven't been using them the whole game or are not accustomed to using them, I wouldn't use them at that point. A lot of players get too overzealous mid-game and try something and get killed for it, when they could just just used jab2 and kept doing what worked for them.

Consider your position on the stage. When a simple Jab 2 can just get them out of your face or push them to the corner, why risk going for a grab and losing that positional advantage? You're going to get a grab. The Jab series to me is just a really good way to walk your opponent into a really uncomfortable situation which you are bound to get more damage from if you stay on top of your game.

As far as followups, I only go for Klaw, (pivot) grab, or Bowser bomb really. Otherwise I just shoo them away with Jab 2. For followups based on specific reads, I don't really go for those unless there's something that is very telling about the player's style or decision making. Sometimes 2 stocks isn't enough time to really get a good handle on how your opponent plays and reacts to situations, so you have to pay attention to everything and be aware. Especially since we are Bowser players--good hits don't come for free.

5. The reason I don't use fortress a lot just stems from Brawl. In a lot of situations, Bowser could actually be punished for punishing something with an Up-B OoS, or actually lose positional advantage trying to avoid being punished. Since Smash 4 has more hitstun, you can afford to use it more, but the issue is that we can't escape to the ledge if our Up-B call is incorrect or is blocked. Depending on the player/character you're playing against, that can result in a huge momentum shift.

As an aside, you have to be honest with yourself. If you know you're the kind of player who tends to get scared under pressure or you tend to do dumb **** (You airdodge a lot, roll to escape certain things, have trouble landing or getting back onstage), is it really worth it for you to try and go for an Up-B? What happens if you're wrong? You'll be giving your opponent all of the momentum in the world and multiple chances to **** on you. There's nothing wrong with just waiting for another opportunity. Sometimes that is even scarier; if you notice your opponent does something really bad, but let it go, you can prompt your opponent to do the same thing (since you didn't punish it) in another situation where the punish will be easier/more optimal. Trust me, a lot of Smash 4 players don't really think about what they're doing. That is, of course, what separates your average Smash 4 player from the top level. You can get away with auto-piloting in this game fairly easily depending on who you're playing.

So, for some situations where it's okay to Up-B:
Ledge situations: if you're not firm on your punishes or can't react to a ledge jump/roll/getup attack with DTilt or an aerial, or you don't want to guess, you can just Up-B. It'll cover most options, including the regular getup. If you're wrong, just steer away. It's awfully lazy, but it does work most of the time.

If you see someone roll past you, but aren't reflexively ready to punish it on the dot, you can Up-B. Same with a spotdodge. If you want to call out someone's spotdodge, where you know they whiffed a move and subsequently spotdodge, go ahead.

If someone hits your shield with something that's obviously unsafe, but you're not really sure if you can punish it with anything heavy, Up-B. Are you noticing a trend in these points?

To me, using Up-B is kind of an "ehhh, I'm not entirely sure of what's going to happen, but I need to throw something out there, so here!" type of response. Bowser's punish game is pretty ridiculous, especially against people who tend to do dumb things. So if you have the proper read, punish accordingly and get the damage you deserve. Don't settle for just 10-11% w/a risk of losing everything. Be on the ball. Don't guess. Punish.

Of course, this applies to mid-game. Early-game at lower percents on the first stock, you can probably get away with a random Up-B, but it's imperative that you get your act together so you can get the best hits you can.

As far as replacements go, pivot grabbing is your friend, and once you come to terms with the fact that you don't have to hit everything you see that your opponent does wrong (history, and situations do repeat themselves), you will see windows to use more suitable moves.

6. I'm not going to EVO primarily because I'm not 21 yet (December 9th), and going to Vegas only to play video games doesn't appeal to me, and customs. I always talk about being a part of something great, but I'm just going to sit this one out. The experience wouldn't be complete for me. I am seriously considering going next year, and if not I am probably going to fly out to the west coast and be a road warrior or something.

I also have no money. So yeah.

How do you feel about Bowser still not having his epic SMG/BiS voice but Bowser Jr and co. having their's?

You think they will ever give us Klaw back to form or do you think Magicant screwed us?

Should Tough Guy be buffed?

Lastly what is your favorite way to KO an opponent?
Bowser not having an actual voice and some weird crap in this game again is just really lazy on the devs part, and actually irritates me. It's in line with the fact that Bowser actually doesn't have a jump animation (his jump animations were fine in the previous games, mind you).

I'm not sure if they'll give us Klaw back, but giving us more control is a start and a reasonable compromise. They need to give us a consistent and definitive way to know whether Bowser is always going to win or not, or if it'll always be sudden death. Again, lazy.

Tough guy doesn't need to be buffed.

My favorite way to KO an opponent is with Side-B. Second favorite is a powershield -> Bowser Bomb punish.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Cassius. Cassius.
- Do you have a stream schedule or an idea of one for the future?
- Got any loose plan for your youtube channel?
- How about that video thread?
- Thanks for hanging in there. What are your favorite shows to watch to help you recharge? Book maybe?
Bowser4lyfe.

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
@ Cassius. Cassius. Feel free to tell me if I'm pushing it but could you define "hate", when you say, "I hate this game."?
Is it the "I hate this game but I still want to play it" kind of hate, or is it the "I hate this game, screw this I never want to play it again." hate?
I've recently been feeling the former kind of hate due to seeing all flaws in the game that could be easily fixed but at the same time I really can't see myself playing any other fighting game other than Soul Caliber, and...you know how that turns out.

Last edited:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
@ Cassius. Cassius.
- Do you have a stream schedule or an idea of one for the future?
- Got any loose plan for your youtube channel?
- How about that video thread?
- Thanks for hanging in there. What are your favorite shows to watch to help you recharge? Book maybe?
Bowser4lyfe.
All of your questions are tied in to one small fact. This fact is that I currently do not have a job. At the moment, I'm hunting for internships (I will get paid) because I need to add more to my resume for graduate school/closing out my undergraduate career. But essentially because I'm not working, I have no money. Because I have no money, my laptop is absolute garbage, and I cannot get a new one or invest in a PC. I have an Elgato...you've seen me stream before, but my computer just cannot handle any of the stuff I need it to. Because my laptop sucks, the video quality settings for my replays is very low. Because the quality settings of my videos are poop, I can't really do anything to spruce up my youtube channel.

So pretty much, once I get money, things will start falling into place. I could definitely throw up a stream right now if I felt like it because I do still have everything I need, but it's just not worth the hassle to me. I'd rather just get everything I need to and do it right the first time than suffer through the headaches lol

The video thread will be taken care of soon. I ran into some problems (looking for a job.)

I kind of am in a recharging period. Since I finished my semester last month, I haven't really been playing Smash 4 at all. I'm just not in the mood because I don't feel like playing on WiFi, and I'm broke, so I don't have any money to go to anything. So I've been attacking my back-log of video games I've bought but haven't played yet due to Smash 4 coming out, and college. I do have favorite shows, but I generally don't tend to rewatch or watch them constantly. I do watch a lot of anime, read manga and light novels, though. The only anime I can recall that I rewatched recently was Haganai because Sena is bae. But that was like 2 years ago anyway.

@ Cassius. Cassius. Feel free to tell me if I'm pushing it but could you define "hate", when you say, "I hate this game."?
Is it the "I hate this game but I still want to play it" kind of hate, or is it the "I hate this game, screw this I never want to play it again." hate?
I've recently been feeling the former kind of hate due to seeing all flaws in the game that could be easily fixed but at the same time I really can't see myself playing any other fighting game other than Soul Caliber, and...you know how that turns out.
You are correct, when I say I hate this game, I really do hate it. But, I'm still going to play it, and I'm still going to watch it, because it's Smash, and it's one of the few competitive games I truly enjoy. I'm horrible at shooting games, and I'm never getting into League/DOTA/whatever because I don't care for that kind of genre. Smash 4 is a great game, but it's also absolutely terrible for the same reasons (as is every Smash game).

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
What's your favorite color?

Best thing about being a Syracuse student?

Favorite food ever?

If you could have any character be in Smash, who would it be?

Favorite match you've ever played?

What do you want to do after college?

Why are Bowser dittos so janky?

Why should someone NOT play Bowser?

What do you do to prepare for a tournament?

What aspect of competitive Smash surprised you the most?

Pancakes or waffles?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
What's your favorite color?

Best thing about being a Syracuse student?

Favorite food ever?

If you could have any character be in Smash, who would it be?

Favorite match you've ever played?

What do you want to do after college?

Why are Bowser dittos so janky?

Why should someone NOT play Bowser?

What do you do to prepare for a tournament?

What aspect of competitive Smash surprised you the most?

Pancakes or waffles?
Violet.
Almost everyone there has a sense of purpose.
Anything with white chocolate macadamia nuts in it.
Probably Bowser so we could run ****.
I want to be a clinical psychologist.
Bowser dittos are janky because if you leave the ground, you lose (in this game).
Someone should not play Bowser if they get easily distraught from taking a lot of damage, or can't learn how to sit still and not jump everywhere. You actually have to play neutral, and there's no way around that because he has nothing threatening until he's in the proper zone. Bowser teaches you how to be a man, and make decisions like a tyrant.
To prepare for a tournament, I go out and drink the night before (this has apparently been the trend for the past 3 years). But all I usually do is just practice movement and combos (other fighters)
The thing that surprised me about competitive Smash is that people actually had tournaments for this stuff. When I was younger I never really thought about it.
Pancakes.

Last edited:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Boxers, briefs, or commando?

Favorite game of all time?

Favorite anime?

What character would you like to see make it in Smash? Doesn't have to be 1st party

What do you think Bowser's best match-up is?

Why did the Koopaling cross the road?

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
Any tips for aspiring Bowsers? Habits to avoid/pick up?

Favorite ice cream flavor?

If you could change one thing about Bowser, what would it be?

How do you feel about shields in Sm4sh?

and most importantly: Yes or No?

Last edited:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Boxers, briefs, or commando?

Favorite game of all time?

Favorite anime?

What character would you like to see make it in Smash? Doesn't have to be 1st party

What do you think Bowser's best match-up is?

Why did the Koopaling cross the road?
Boxers.
Mega Man X4.
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai, AKA The World God Only Knows. It's amazing, and the manga is even better.
I really don't have any wishes for anything currently. In fact, I haven't even written in for a character in that Smash ballot thing. I've been saying for years that they need to put Sigma (MMX Series) in a fighting game, and I thought MvC3 would be it, but it wasn't. I guess Banjo & Kazooie would be pretty dope.
Bowser's best MU has to be Shulk or Ganondorf.
Do I really have to answer that? There's a goal at the end of every (Rainbow) Road, you know.

Any tips for aspiring Bowsers? Habits to avoid/pick up?

Favorite ice cream flavor?

If you could change one thing about Bowser, what would it be?

How do you feel about shields in Sm4sh?

and most importantly: Yes or No?
The most important tip I can give to any aspiring Bowser is very similar to what I would tell any Smash player on the come up. That is to learn when to buckle down. It requires a lot of discipline to not jump aimlessly or just throw out moves for no reason. Smash is an active game, and that requires action. A lot of players tend to feel like they need to do something, and a lot more aren't comfortable with just standing still or simply inching forward. Try it against a player you've never met before in tournament, especially when you have the life lead; just stand there--it may put them off, it may make them feel uncomfortable. It may not show on their face, but I can guarantee you it will reflect in their actions.

If you have a lead, there is no need in the world for you to approach. You play Bowser, so please do not be afraid to turtle in games.

Anyway, you have to make sure that every button you press has a purpose. I see too many players who really don't understand the luxury of being able to just jump or throw something out and not get punished for it. That is partially why I kind of want every player to start out by playing Bowser or some other character who really has no business being in the air. You learn how to play Smash very differently that way, and it's important for teaching something that is overlooked far too often in Smash 4.

A lot of players don't seem to realize it, but when you do jump as a character, you are giving up some kind of control. You are committing to an action. So, that is also a habit that I would avoid. Avoid empty hopping for no reason. Make sure that everything you do in this game has a reason behind it. If someone asks you, "why did you do that?", and you can't come up with a reasonable or purposeful answer, stop doing it.

As for picking up a habit, just pay more attention to what's going on in the game. Situational awareness is very important. It is also important to play with confidence and have an unshakable resolve. You are playing a character who can hit someone once, and go a full minute or even longer without getting another hit in again; it is easy to let that discourage you, but you shouldn't let that happen. It's part of the experience.

If you have a hunch about something, or feel like making a read, do it with confidence. Don't half ass it, but make sure your option coverage is layered if you do have a read in mind.

My favorite ice cream flavor is White Chocolate Macadamia Nut. But that's extremely rare, so I usually go with butter pecan.

If I could change one thing about Bowser, I would like my move (aerial klaw) back. That would be nice.

Shields in this game...shielding in general is way too rewarding for a lot of characters. I'll just leave it at that.

The answer is always no.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Cassius. Cassius. Haha, I'm glad someone else thought the World God Only Knows manga was really good. I have buddies throwing salt everywhere because of the final arc's shenanigans.

Got a few more questions:
- What was it that drew you to clinical psychology, especially over other things like maybe law?
- How does Bowser, PsyD, sound? Dual major alongside Stomptology.
- What's the one place you'd love to travel to the most?
- Got a light novel you've been enjoying recently that you think is underrated?
- Sword or whip?

Also, best of luck to you on landing that internship, as well as to your studies. I know you'll go far. :)

Last edited:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
@ Cassius. Cassius. Haha, I'm glad someone else thought the World God Only Knows manga was really good. I have buddies throwing salt everywhere because of the final arc's shenanigans.

Got a few more questions:
- What was it that drew you to clinical psychology, especially over other things like maybe law?
- How does Bowser, PsyD, sound? Dual major alongside Stomptology.
- What's the one place you'd love to travel to the most?
- Got a light novel you've been enjoying recently that you think is underrated?
- Sword or whip?

Also, best of luck to you on landing that internship, as well as to your studies. I know you'll go far. :)
- As for what interests me about psychology, I've been attracted to it since I was a kid. When I was really young, I was attracted to video games (I'm talking like 2-3 years old). I was dead-set on becoming a video game creator. My mind still runs rampant with ideas. I took my first Java & Computer Programming class ever in high school and failed. At that point, I wasn't really sure if it wasn't for me, or whether I should just give it another shot--but I knew that I didn't have any time left to spare. I had to leave that dream in the dust.

To backtrack, during my 7th grade year, I took a Psychology course that was required for one of the programs I was in and really enjoyed it. As a kid, the idea of being able to pinpoint the values and decisions people make to some core developmental term or theory appealed to me (no matter how wrong some old-style therapists were). I wanted to explore the mind, and understand the "why". In the back of my mind, I always had Psychology as a back-up career goal of mine. From a personal standpoint, I realized that although my behavior lends itself to that of an apathetic individual, I really do understand people. I am a "people-person", despite how lazy I tend to be in regards to a lot of things. I've always wanted to learn why people do things, and I've always wanted to help people--I could be a therapist, or a social worker, with those values. But clinical psychology (and getting a Ph.D) in it is a challenging process that I'm willing to engage in. I worked in a clinic with psychologists as an intern this past summer, and took a course on clinical psychology this past semester that helped me make sure that I was on the right path.

And, as I grew older, the things I enjoyed in my life changed, but my love for gaming didn't. It's not to say that I only enjoy life when I'm gaming, but I felt as though I needed to pursue something that elicited a similar response inside myself. I thought, if I'm going to invest loads of time (and money!) into something, it has to be something I care about. I'm really only interested in psychology and topics similar to that in academics now.

- Bowser, Psy.D. sounds excellent.
- I want to travel to London.
- I think that High School DxD light novel series is extremely underrated. The anime and content itself is obviously lewd harem junk at the end of the day, but the details and reading it through Issei's eyes is excellent.
- A sword dismembers, kills, and conquers, but a whip subjugates. To another end, I would use Zero Suit Samus long before I would consider using Link, so yeah. Whips, I guess?

Volkrion

Smash Rookie
1. Out of curiosity: What place do you estimate Bowser to be in on the tier list?

2. What's your thoughts on the Bowser - Yoshi matchup on FD/Omega? Would you say it's a definite ban for tourneys?

3. I recall on your Youtube videos for Brawl matches you always chose all of these great sounding songs for your match replay videos. What's your thought process as far as music selection goes? You have GREAT taste in music!

Last edited:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
1. Out of curiosity: What place do you estimate Bowser to be in on the tier list?

2. What's your thoughts on the Bowser - Yoshi matchup on FD/Omega? Would you say it's a definite ban for tourneys?

3. I recall on your Youtube videos for Brawl matches you always chose all of these great sounding songs for your match replay videos. What's your thought process as far as music selection goes? You have GREAT taste in music!
1. He's about as mid tier as it's going to get. In a cast of 50, he's around the 25th spot.

2. Bowser vs. Yoshi has been a problem for a while. He has way better buttons than we do up close (Jab, NAir). DAir and the command grab put a ton of pressure on Bowser players who don't really know how to operate outside of their shield, and they keep the Bowser player honest. I feel as though eggs aren't as big of a problem as they were in Brawl, but projectiles are still projectiles. I'm not entirely sure if I would feel threatened by them. Yoshi has the ability to bully us offstage, but our recovery is pretty good so it's not too much to worry about. On FD, neither characters really have anything to abuse, and jumping on Yoshi's part just opens up a mixup of whether he's going to come down with a b reverse grab, an aerial, or just change his air trajectory (Yoshi's air speed is still really good). As far as a definite ratio goes, I'm not sure. It's clearly not in Bowser's favor but I don't feel threatened. It's not horrible like it used to be. No one wants to believe that they actually have a reasonably close MU against Bowser (that's just the rule of Smashboards, no one really takes Bowser seriously). 40-60 I guess? I'm not sure if it would require a definite ban. There are a lot of players who aren't comfortable on stages with/without platforms since it's still early meta Smash 4.

3. As far as music selection goes, I'll try and explain it in the simplest way possible. Every stage gives off a certain vibe for songs. The reverse is also the same; you may listen to a track and think to yourself that it would fit perfectly on a certain stage.

The easiest example I can give is that I wouldn't put a happy-go-lucky song on Final Destination (the sad part is that the song could still actually fit--it's a bad example on my part). That's just common sense--it defeats the purpose of what Final Destination is designed to create. It's a final stage that is designed to deliver tension, or something that's tantamount to a difficult battle. Therefore, the simplest songs you would be able to put on there without giving it much thought are obviously boss battle tracks. That's not to say that you are only restricted to boss tracks, because there are certain boss tracks that don't fit. You have to open your mind to different types of music and perspectives. A lot of people don't seem to believe this, but we've all heard a ton of tracks before (which is why YouTube and finding out song names is very important--you can keep track of these things). There are a lot of songs that are superbly constructed, but just don't fit on any stage, and therefore have never had place on my lists.

I'll give you actual songs and actual examples now. This is just a simple list of songs that would fit on FD (In Brawl, and still in Smash 4); they are just Boss/ character tracks from some popular games.

As a preface, music choices are always subjective. That's the beauty of it. You may love a song on a certain stage, and I may think it's absolutely ridiculous that you think that, but it's your choice. Anyway, for FD:

God Hand - Dark Matter
Persona 4 - I'll Face Myself
Under Night In-Birth - Night Walker
Bravely Second: End Layer - Battle of Providence: Phase I
Mana Khemia - Nefertiti

To give you an example of broadening perspectives, don't restrict yourself--the Persona 4 track I listed would've been a perfect fit on a stage such as Pokemon Stadium 1 as well, and honestly would've been a better fit there instead of FD (breaking yourself away from the cliche of FD that a lot of music packs fall into--just throwing boss themes together. Sometimes cliche is fine!)

Battlefield is different. It's a stage that is largely influenced by its background, and the fact that its a much brighter stage. That opens itself up to themes that are a bit brighter, or, on another side, songs that have more (I hate this word) "epic" instrumentation. But it's still a stage that's clearly designed for a heavy battle, so you can still keep to something around the same parameters as what's on FD, if you want. Here's another basic example of songs that address all those sides:

Tsutchie - Sincerely (Samurai Champloo)
Tales of Xillia 2 - If It's For You ~Song 4 u~
Darksiders 2 - Guardian Theme
Bayonetta - Red & Black
~xi-on~ - Overflow

I have always had this stupid rule of thumb - You can tell what kind of person someone is based on what type of music they put on Smashville. Smashville is one of the few stages where a lot of genres of will fit. I've seen a bunch of routes taken with the stage itself--a lot of players tend to just put some relaxing track or beat on it (Nujabes, etc) or some Touhou track and leave it at that. That isn't bad, but it is played out and very basic (there's nothing wrong with it, though! It's still good music). Open your mind. Smashville is a jack-of-all-trades stage when it comes to music. This is my final example of things that I would personally put there:

Street Fighter III - Jazzy NYC [Latin Mix]
Tales of Xillia - School Battle
Uyama Hiroto - Waltz For Life Will Born
DJ Kariu - Melodic Sunset (Strange Sunset Remix)
Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki - D.A.Y./Break

Of course, a lot of the songs I listed for those stages can fit in multiple places. Music selection is free-form and adaptable to any tastes or desires. Music selection in Brawl was also largely influenced by the texture hacks you had. Since some stage backgrounds had completely different atmospheres and things like that, you could change it to suit your tastes.

When I started out, I just used all of the songs that were my favorite. I had a good ear for music, but my library of game tracks was very, very small 5 years ago. I pretty much only had Mega Man tracks on my mind, and whatever else I heard around YouTube. After doing it for a while, you begin to have an ear for what songs go where, or whether a certain song would fit in multiple places at once, and you also just come across more tracks and become more experienced. That's just the way of life.

If the Wii U does get to the point where we will be able to add songs to stages, I will have my work cut out for me since Omega stages are a thing, but it will be very fun. I'm looking forward to making a music pack again.

Last edited:

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Huh. So why X4? It's in my massive backlog (along with X5). I started playing it, but...dat voice acting...

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Huh. So why X4? It's in my massive backlog (along with X5). I started playing it, but...dat voice acting...
No particular reason. I just love Mega Man X games, and always have since I was young. Mega Man X was the first game I ever played. Mega Man games in general are rather simple games that you can just attack in one-three sit-downs and not really feel anything about it. As far as X games go, X4-X6 (X6 technically isn't canon, but meh) have a legitimate plot you can "follow", and the music is really good.

The voice acting is abysmal, yeah, but seeing the cutscenes as a result of your own effort does still feel somewhat special. And, like I said, X4 and X5 both have music that's recognized by people everywhere (Sky Lagoon, X vs. Zero theme, etc.) You should definitely check them out, they don't take up much time at all unless you try to collect everything in the games. I find the X series to be a lot more easier than the original Mega Man series.

If I had to give a response as to what games recently moved me, I'm a sucker for Tales games; that's probably one of my most favorite series of all time. I'm just a sucker for RPGs in general. It seems like they've replaced platformers, since they used to be all I played as a kid. But now all I play is RPGs and fighters (tryna get on the MAXCPM grind).

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Week 2 voting begins now! I'll collect all of Limit's responses in the OP later this week.

Top Bottom