• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser 1.1.5

constable lemon

Smash Cadet
i just played some games as bowser on the new patch and i didn't notice a thing. that's gotta be placebo.

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
The animation seems slower but it doesn't quite feel like the ability to act out of it or the hitstun is altered. Maybe placebo? Not quite sure.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
Undoubtedly placebo. Bowser being untouched is good, we've had nothing but buffs since launch. Now that we're in a solid spot, it's better than getting nerfs. Furthermore, top tiers got nerfed, and that was a serious issue we needed addressed. Hell yeah!

arcticfox_14

Smash Cadet
NNID
arcticfox14
I'll be happy if Bowser's untouched since so much attention went into top tier nerfs, but there's a small mention in the change thread that Bowser's air speed went from .98 > 1.00 and weight from 138 > 140.

Weight would be easy to confirm, but how could air speed be tested to get such specific numbers? Unless that kind of info is just readable somewhere in the files?

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
If the air speed and weight are true I would almost be inclined to call it a buff. Faster fall speed means we can come down faster for a possible response to a U-Throw past combo kill percentages. More weight means we die later, but, of course, neither of these are without their drawbacks - but the adjustments are small so they don't bring any new weaknesses to the character. And with top tiers weakened?

It's Showtime.

Greward

Smash Lord
Faster air speed means better landing and better recovery which are the main bowser issues, still the buff is very minor so it'll be hard to make it relevant but nice to have for sure.
More weight is always good, being fatty af is cool lol and we got rage to abuse.

The most important thing tho is the top tier nerfs, which are indirect buffs to mid tiers like bowser.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
With the increased weight, I thought we might also have a little buff to Tough Guy, but the weight change is so small that the change was more than just insignificant - we can't armor Luigi's fireball any later than we could pre-patch.

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
i can confirm that u-throw is still working so no need to worry about that and focus on learning other things

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Faster air speed means better landing and better recovery which are the main bowser issues, still the buff is very minor so it'll be hard to make it relevant but nice to have for sure.
More weight is always good, being fatty af is cool lol and we got rage to abuse.

The most important thing tho is the top tier nerfs, which are indirect buffs to mid tiers like bowser.
This this this. Increased air speed was one of the best things to possibly happen to Bowser. It's minor, but we'll take it!

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
SHAD cancels are the same

B reverse auto snap is still there

Pivot grab range untouched

Uthrow unaltered.

Offstage Bair on stage auto cancels into run for immediate action into Dash attack/specials is still there. Or any tilt if you don't hold direction.

Not much has changed IMO.

I also believe Fire Shot was untouched. Same speed and damage ratios.

arcticfox_14

Smash Cadet
NNID
arcticfox14
Does the air speed statistic affect jump velocity or just freefall/fastfall rates? If so, would that make upthrow followups easier?

Also, does airspeed affect how quickly we move through the air horizontally?

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Does the air speed statistic affect jump velocity or just freefall/fastfall rates? If so, would that make upthrow followups easier?

Also, does airspeed affect how quickly we move through the air horizontally?

I think it effects overall speed in the air. I may be wrong but I believe there are separate notes for fall-speed by itself. I could see it helping out our U-Throw combo pretty strongly.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I feel like this is just me but is land lag after Flying Slam reduced or has it been reduced in the past? I can Jab/dash/etc as soon as I land after a successful slam.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
I feel like this is just me but is land lag after Flying Slam reduced or has it been reduced in the past? I can Jab/dash/etc as soon as I land after a successful slam.
I haven't really paid enough attention but I feel like that's been the case with Flying Slam since 1.1.3. Or perhaps it follows the landing-lag-cancel that most Specials can do?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The air speed increase does help Bowser's recovery to an extent. However, giving Whirling Fortress more horizontal mobility would help him out even more, since Sliding Fortress really isn't a good alternative with its less efficient offense.

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
Airspeed was definitely one of my most desired improvements, but 0.02 units I don't think will make much of a difference. Still nice to see though, maybe drift-away Fair will be safer on shield against faster characters.
I wonder if the weight increase lets us live as long as DK does vertically now?

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Airspeed was definitely one of my most desired improvements, but 0.02 units I don't think will make much of a difference. Still nice to see though, maybe drift-away Fair will be safer on shield against faster characters.
I wonder if the weight increase lets us live as long as DK does vertically now?
It might. When I did labbing for Mewtwo, Bowser only died about 1-3% earlier than DK vertically so this could very well make Bowser one of the toughest characters to kill on-stage if he isn't the most difficult to kill from raw hits alone.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is so heavy. Now we can survive even more and abuse our shield against shield weak characters even more as well because their throws (aka Cloud, Fox etc) wont kill us horizontally until maybe 270%.

Greward

Smash Lord
Bowser is so heavy. Now we can survive even more and abuse our shield against shield weak characters even more as well because their throws (aka Cloud, Fox etc) wont kill us horizontally until maybe 270%.
cloud upthrow kills, it's not very strong but around 200% it should be killing us.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
cloud upthrow kills, it's not very strong but around 200% it should be killing us.
Be it at 200% or 270%, I feel as though by the time that we are at that % range that they likely would've just gone for a much better option.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy Well, nothing bad if that's what you're asking. Only curious, and I like to randomly ask questions from time to time. Sorry if I made you uncomfortable or anything.

Top Bottom