• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bounceless Dair

Serge+

Smash Rookie
BOUNCELESS DAIR

As many of you have probably experienced during your time as Toon Link, there might have been instances where you dair, and instead of bouncing as the move normally makes you do, you just fall straight down. This is something I haven't got a grasp of while doing lab experimentation. However, while trying to replicate that during some lab time, I came across something that is similar, and could prove to be a useful tool on the right moments.

As the title suggests, this will be a guide on how to execute a bounceless dair (if you know about other ways to do this, you should absolutely notify me on it), and I will be showing examples on why it is something useful to acknowledge.

• THE SCIENCE BEHIND IT!
When you execute a dair and land it on an opponent, Toon Link will move some units in the direction he was moving. So for example, if you were moving diagonally downwards at the moment you hit an opponent, you will move some units diagonally downwards, and then you bounce upwards. So based on this, if you use this move and Fast Fall (tap down on analog stick) you will gain a lot of vertical acceleration. So combining fast-falling with a dair hit, you will be moved downwards several units, which exactly what will lead to...

• HOW TO EXECUTE THE BOUNCELESS DAIR!
Toon link gains a lot of acceleration during his fast-fall, which for the sake of this tech, is just what we need! The timing for this tech is not very intuitive. The main gist of the tech is to make the down air hotboxes to appear as close to the ground as possible, and while combined with a fast-fall, the units downwards will make you automatically land onto the floor, without bouncing upwards.
Trough some practice you will be able to pull it off flawlessly (it's not like you use dair on neutral or whatever).

• NICE TECH BUT WHAT KIND OF NERD WOULD USE THIS.

This is the interesting part. Bounceless Dair puts you in a great position when executed correctly on an opponent. Down air has an Incredible amount of hitstun, which means that if you manage to do a bounce less dair, you can get an opening to follow up with a lot of things. It's specially useful at low percents, because it sets up nicely for other moves,

• ARE YOU SURE THIS IS EVEN POSSIBLE.

Of course. Duh.
Take a look:

Using it on a tech-chase situation (from a down throw i think):
http://gfycat.com/ElasticAngelicBedlingtonterrier

Using it on a failed tech-in-place (from a down tilt, sweetspotted):
http://gfycat.com/DapperUnnaturalBengaltiger

Using it on a failed tech / not very useful on high percents(from a down tilt, sourspotted)
https://gfycat.com/ColossalUncomfortableHummingbird#

Using it after a failed tech-in-place / sort of useful on mid percents, you can still string into other attacks (from a down tilt, sweetspotted)
http://gfycat.com/ForthrightMellowDogfish

• Things that set up into this

help me find more pls.

Last edited:

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
:GCY::GCD::GCA::GCLT: sounds super useful!
this is also really fun to try out, can't wait to see the gfycats

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
This is really interesting. I think it's cool that it's possible, and I'd love to see what applications people think might be useful. I need to test it out myself, but is it possible to combo into more after the dair? Off of d-tilt, I feel like other options will rack up more damage, but if it can lead to an up-tilt, bair, or up air follow up, it could be very useful.

Serge+

Smash Rookie
This is really interesting. I think it's cool that it's possible, and I'd love to see what applications people think might be useful. I need to test it out myself, but is it possible to combo into more after the dair? Off of d-tilt, I feel like other options will rack up more damage, but if it can lead to an up-tilt, bair, or up air follow up, it could be very useful.
Depending on the character you use it on, you can follow up with almost anything. I wrote that in the OP.

AndrogynousOkami

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-2412-4203
Wow, this is beautiful. So the goal is to hit your opponent on the side while fastfalling so that you don't have to go through their whole model to hit the ground? Or do you fastfall just as you hit them?

Magu

Smash Rookie
This is really great and has good uses, definitly! We in the skype group were discussing what to call it today and came up with BPS - Broken Pogo Stick! Thanks for finding this tech!

Top Bottom