• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boshi Devours the Competition! WAIT! Don't go! Hear Me Out First

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Yeah, a rather unorthodox inclusion to put it mildly. When it comes to insane "pie-in-the-sky" character speculations, no one (at least in the 1st party realm) comes close to Boshi. You sayin' this one-off character from Super Mario RPG--the same game that has freakin' GENO AND MALLOW--who barely made an impact besides being a run-of-the-mill Yoshi but with an attitude problem can make it into Smash?

Well, if you'd ask me like a month ago "Who's you're most wanted inclusion into Smash?" Boshi wouldn't have even entered my mind........ and then I found out what his Japanese name was:

WASHI
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::502:

Are you serious?!! Square created the Yoshi equivalent of Wario and THIS is how they utilized him?!! Okay, for anyone who is confused, there is a reason Wario and Waluigi are named the way they are. In Japanese, "warui" is equivalent to "bad," so "Wario" and "Waluigi" literally means "Bad Mario" and "Bad Luigi" respectively. And yes, that was the intent behind Washi's (Boshi's) name. Once I found out about that detail, a whole bunch of potential entered my mind that I felt SquareSoft squandered considering how developed Wario and Waluigi got since then.

If by some dumb luck Sakurai gets Boshi into Smash, I'd actually trust Sakurai to develop and represent him more thoroughly. He'd probably envision Boshi as the opposite of Yoshi personality-wise. Where Yoshi is bouncy and bashful, Boshi is rigid and full of himself. Where Yoshi is playful and indirect, Boshi is disrespectful and in-your-face. Oh boy, the disrespect!! That's probably gonna be his ultimate character trait. Yoshi loves everyone and respects all life, but not Boshi!! He'd do everything to humiliate his opponent in ways that never crossed Yoshi's mind.

Also, he was sort of ahead of his time being a Mario species with a distinct design and personality. You remember all the Paper Mario characters with unique designs despite being part of "generic" species? Well if you look back on Super Mario RPG all of the original characters were not part of any pre-existing Mario creatures OR had no outstanding features to stand out. EXCEPT Boshi.

Okay, I think I may have only scratched the surface of what Boshi's personality would be like, now let's get into his moveset.

Like I said earlier, he's an obvious Echo of Yoshi, but unlike Dr. Mario and maybe Dark Pit, his personality upgrade lends himself to a different playstyle altogether. His attacks would be much stronger and many of them would have much more kill potential. To compensate, his general speed would be reduced. He might still have a great air game in comparison to the rest of the cast, but not as good as Yoshi's.

Icon by splat splat

So let's get into the moves themselves:

Jab: This might sound crazy, but I feel Boshi should use his arms and be able to jab 3-times. This relates to his more up-close and personal approach to fighting.

Up/Side/Down-tilts: These don't need to change

Smash attacks: same

Dash attack: Wario fans are gonna hate me for this. Instead of Yoshi's kick, he should use a shoulder bash with very little lag.

Aerial attacks: Not only do I think these are fine the way they are, they probably fit Boshi's personality better. Seriously, Yoshi's aerials were developed by Satan...

Grab/Pummel: He'd obviously grab with his tongue just like Yoshi, but instead of chewing as a pummel, I propose he hold his opponent and do repeated headbutts. Of course that means he doesn't get the benefit of an automatic air release and his throws would be altered too. His down throw would be a standard down throw and same with up and back throw, but his forward throw would be a strong headbutt. I'm actually the most hazy on this topic, so comments please.

Side/Down Specials: Ground Pound works just fine. I would like to replace Egg Roll with something more useful (same with Yoshi) but I'm at a loss for what that'd be.

Up Special: Pretty much the same as Yoshi's HOWEVER, instead of an arched projectile that does minimal damage and no knockback, he'd have it go straight in a certain direction for a certain distance and deal more damage and maybe a bit more knockback. Whereas Yoshi uses his eggs for setups, Boshi would use it as a proper projectile to solidify him as more of a power character.

Neutral Special: *snickering to himself* Boy oh boy, I saved the best for last (besides Final Smash cause duh). Many of you would say Yoshi's Egg Lay is already disrespectful enough as it is. Surely that would fit Boshi just fine. Oh you poor naive fool!!! At first it would look the same--command grab with his tongue--but instead of pooping out an egg, he'd KEEP THE OPPONENT IN HIS BELLY a la Kirby and by pressing neutral special again he'd poop the opponent downward and Boshi would soar upwards. THAT my friends, is disrespect!!! My thinking is that it's like Wario's Waft, but with a Yoshi twist. Now this might seem op, Boshi players would just move off stage and let it rip forcing opponents into the blast zone. It's basically a glorified footstool! Well, I can see compensations being made, like having his mobility severely reduced and the opponent can mash out of his stomach easier than Yoshi's egg. Anyways, that's my wacky idea for his neutral special. In all honesty, I could ignore EVERY argument for Boshi's inclusion and just use this one point and I'd be happy.

Final Smash: Again much like his Side Special, I don't see an alternative to Super Dragon UNLESS they change Yoshi's Final Smash to Mega Eggdozer or something.

Welp, there's my crazy Boshi speculation wall-of-text. Comment any more speculations about him and good-bye

*faints*

Banner by drag0nscythe drag0nscythe

Supporters:
Zinith Zinith
smash puffle smash puffle
S SEGAGameBoy
Geno Boost Geno Boost
Houndstooth Houndstooth
Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa
Hydra of Chaos Hydra of Chaos
Enchess Enchess
@Badrat
TreeBranch TreeBranch
Captain Shades Captain Shades
Dixie Kong Dixie Kong
Nebelung Nebelung
T ThoughtfulWanderer
Blade of Evil's Bane Blade of Evil's Bane
lizard1929 lizard1929
PeridotGX PeridotGX
smashingDoug smashingDoug
ZagarTulip ZagarTulip
Zoljinx_ Zoljinx_
GenoStrike GenoStrike
Demonfunds Demonfunds
MaestroDavros MaestroDavros
goodspeed87 goodspeed87
R RetrogamerMax
drag0nscythe drag0nscythe
NintenEdgyMan NintenEdgyMan
Over9000BPM Over9000BPM
Master of Fire Master of Fire
Squirtle/Mario guy Squirtle/Mario guy
Iridium Iridium
ZoroCarlos ZoroCarlos
SigmaMewtwo SigmaMewtwo
NineS NineS
Noipoi Noipoi
Wurmple for smash Wurmple for smash
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku
@GothFluttershy
@Zack E.
@Thesaurus30
Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma
DaxMasterix DaxMasterix
TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself
Yoshi_smash Yoshi_smash
Superxav12 Superxav12
ArchRanger ArchRanger
DeputyDalmatian DeputyDalmatian
Mamboo07 Mamboo07

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
If by some dumb luck Sakurai gets Boshi into Smash (which is a lot more likely than I think considering his public hostility towards Geno and being an easy clone of Yoshi)
I’m a little confused here. Are you saying that Sakurai is hostile towards Geno, or that Boshi is? Sakurai has said a few times that he’d like to get Geno into Smash.

Besides that, I can’t see it happening, but fun idea!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hate to nitpick, but the explanation behind Wario’s name is that warui is Japanese for bad, not wah. It’s really minor but it bothered me.

That said, I had thought until now that Boshi was an Internet OC, so this is new to me. While I can’t support him in Smash, I would like to see him make a comeback, although he’s probably partially owned by Square Enix and thus would be more trouble than he’s worth.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I’m a little confused here. Are you saying that Sakurai is hostile towards Geno, or that Boshi is? Sakurai has said a few times that he’d like to get Geno into Smash.

Besides that, I can’t see it happening, but fun idea!
Sakurai

Hate to nitpick, but the explanation behind Wario’s name is that warui is Japanese for bad, not wah. It’s really minor but it bothered me.

That said, I had thought until now that Boshi was an Internet OC, so this is new to me. While I can’t support him in Smash, I would like to see him make a comeback, although he’s probably partially owned by Square Enix and thus would be more trouble than he’s worth.
Yeah, thank you for that. Been a while since I found out about the naming convention.

Wow, so he's so obscure you thought he was an OC?!! That... pretty much made my point earlier. Also, considering the fact Boshi is of a species created by Nintendo, I think it'd be a lot easier to get him than in other circumstances.

If they were to try anyways. This is a one-off character after all.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I like Yoshi, I like Boshi. I'd love to see Boshi in more games but Square owns them so I don't see it happening. Geno is really the only SMRPG character i'd expect to happen.

...but Sakurai has gone on record saying he's wanted Geno in Smash twice now. He likes Geno, what hostility are you referring to?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The only way I could see Boshi happen is by being a lucky last minute clone of Yoshi and same goes for Booster as Wario clone and I hope it happens one day in the future

Drawcia

Smash Apprentice
I love obscure choices, but he honestly feels a bit too obscure :/
While I wouldn’t mind seeing him in Smash, I think he needs to make a comeback or appear again to make it in Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just want Boshi in the Mario spin-off games.

I have been wishing for Boshi to be in Mario Kart, Mario Golf, and Mario Tennis for more than 20 years.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I always thought that Boshi was a cooler Yoshi and I always wanted him in my SMRPG play through as a kid.
If Cloud got back, and if Geno gets in, then Boshi could easily be an Echo Fighter for sure. I support.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
a year ago i made a fanart of Boshi
i tried to make a modern version of him
anyway i support Boshi since the day i heared the word "echos" he is the first one to come out of my mind

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Realistically, I think Boshi would show up as a Trophy if Geno got in as a character but he could make a good clone/echo/semi.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Would love to see Boshi in the game, as well as future Mario Spin-offs. Echo Fighter, or at least just acknowledged. That would be awesome. Count me in as a supporter!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Boshi doesn't seem important enough to receive anything more than a minor cameo. Sure, he looks drastically different from most other Yoshis, but I think the lack of any appearances after Super Mario RPG is his biggest downfall.

I guess at best, Boshi could be referenced in the form of a Mii outfit for the Mii Brawler, much like with how Smash 3DS / Wii U implemented a Geno outfit for the Mii Gunner.

Hydra of Chaos

Smash Apprentice
Boshi doesn't seem important enough to receive anything more than a minor cameo. Sure, he looks drastically different from most other Yoshis, but I think the lack of any appearances after Super Mario RPG is his biggest downfall.

I guess at best, Boshi could be referenced in the form of a Mii outfit for the Mii Brawler, much like with how Smash 3DS / Wii U implemented a Geno outfit for the Mii Gunner.
Echo or Assist trophy after Geno gets announced would be possible. not propable, but possible

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So I think Boshi rose from 1% to 5%. It seems that "rivals" became the theme and since Yoshi is one of the OG 8, it seems likely that he'd get one as well (unless Sakurai doesn't give two ****s about the series). Naturally I'd think Kamek would fit the bill, but the problem is that Mushroom Kingdom U being confirmed hurts his chances. Boshi would be a perfect substitution as he's Yoshi's mirror AND now that Geno's chances have risen it's likely that Boshi could come in as a package deal...

idk honestly

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I remember putting a Boshi mod into Brawl back in the day. It was so cool and well made. After remembering this I now really want him as my most wanted echo at this point. So much so he's now in my signature!
I also noticed that Boshi was the MOST popular custom skin back in the Brawl days too, I hope Mr. Sakurai notices that as well.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Can we also mention that we haven't seen a purple Yoshi yet? Neither the fact that he wasn't even playable in the E3 demo for some reason...

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Can we also mention that we haven't seen a purple Yoshi yet? Neither the fact that he wasn't even playable in the E3 demo for some reason...
Yeah, kinda bumbed how Yoshi got shafted at E3 despite being an OG 8. I don't know if it relates to Boshi though, but I do have a crazy thought. You know how Yoshi has 12 official colors and only 8 of them are used in Smash? Well, if Boshi ever got in, he could share 4 colors with Yoshi and the remaining 4 would be exclusive to each of them

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Ok, so I wrote up some interesting bits of info regarding Yoshi in Ultimate and little theories regarding Boshi's inclusion as an Echo/skin.
  • Yoshi wasn't playable in the E3 demo of the game. This is actually the second time in a row this happens since Smash 4 didn't have a playable Yoshi on it's E3 demo as well. He's the only one of the OG 8 where this happens.
  • We've only seen 4 Yoshi colors so far. This kind of brings nothing, but at the same time this bring an interesting argument about Boshi's color.
  • Despite what the Mario Wiki says about him being a Blue Yoshi, and comparing him to an actual Blue Yoshi (which BTW has been shown in Ultimate in a screenshot and his character video), he doesn't look all that blue and looks more like a mix of blue and purple, specially looking at his artwork and sprite. There is also an extremely rare official plush of him that depicts him with a lighter blue sonic-ish type color. Video about the Mario RPG plush set by PatMac
  • We haven't also seen a Purple Yoshi either, like I mentioned in my previous post.
  • IF Geno gets in, then Boshi's chances go up so considerably, he might be in as DLC.
  • The heroes vs. rivals/villains thing they have going on right now with Ridley, Dark Samus and K. Rool, and the fact that Shadow and maybe even Akuma might happen (even though I want Ken more) as echo fighters, leads me to the conclusion that Yoshi can get his own as well.
  • Boshi could have Yoshi's old moves from Melee to really show the difference between the 2.
Of course all of these are just silly speculation type things, and realistically Boshi can only just happen IF Geno gets in this time around.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
If Geno gets in Smash Ultimate, then Boshi might just have a chance. It's still so unlikely, but I'd love it lol. To make him a little diffferent visually, then maybe Boshi could use yoshi cookies instead of Yoshi's eggs for the up special? I totally support this cool dude, even if only for your reaction, Zinith.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The "Wa" in "Wario" and "Waluigi" is an abbreviation of "Warui", meaning bad.
For side special, perhaps one of them could get the tulip powers that allow Yoshi to compress himself into an egg and spring back, bouncing all over the place in Yoshi's Story.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The "Wa" in "Wario" and "Waluigi" is an abbreviation of "Warui", meaning bad.
For side special, perhaps one of them could get the tulip powers that allow Yoshi to compress himself into an egg and spring back, bouncing all over the place in Yoshi's Story.
Imagine the salt if Wayoshi Boshi gets in Smash Ultimate and Waluigi didn’t!

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
You were on my villains thread.

I support, Boshi would be a nice echo, and he’d be likely if Geno got in, which seems to be the case as of right now.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So I touched up the OP a bit. Centered it, took out some info I was wrong on, replaced every mention of "clone" to "Echo," blue text on some parts and gave the supporters links to their pages. I may have to look at the moveset, but I think I'm good on that...

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Oh, and I think I'll add another point about Boshi in the OP:

He was sort of ahead of his time being a Mario species with a distinct design and personality. You remember all the Paper Mario characters with unique designs despite being part of "generic" species? Well if you look back on Super Mario RPG all of the original characters were not part of any pre-existing Mario creatures OR had no outstanding features to stand out. EXCEPT Boshi.

Top Bottom