• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Books anyone?

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

jarbAin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4124-6082-4371
I have recently read:
Metro 2033 and Da Vinci code.
I really want to read Fahrenheit 451 though.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
If you like Gore, Weird ****, and Plague Doctors, Try out "Penetralia" by Jordan Krall.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Gotta read "The Giver". I hate reading books, but I had to read this once, and I was sure hooked on it.

Last edited:

The13thGalaxy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2767-0840-7029
Switch FC
SW-8121-7126-7047
I have a copy of the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo. It's my absolute favorite book, period.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I'm reading Supercade by van burnham and The Bell by Iris Murdoch right now. I just discovered Iris Murdoch and love her. I highly recommend her to everyone.

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
Personally a fan of Redwall, really into Junior / YA
Recommend City of Fire series, Redwall series, Wereworld was alright, anything Marie Lu (Warcross hype, anyone?), the Magic Thief, among a few other favorites

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
If you like Gore, Weird ****, and Plague Doctors, Try out "Penetralia" by Jordan Krall.
Fascinating. Will inquire further.

Gotta read "The Giver". I hate reading books, but I had to read this once, and I was sure hooked on it.
One of the best books I've read.

I don't typically read books that don't have pictures, but this...this is amazing.
What? Those are the most fun!

Last book I read was Glass Castle. It's been too long. Real life kind of...took over.

:162:

D

Deleted member

Some of my choices are a bit unusual but I shall not leave out anything here:
  • a physics textbook published in 1976*
  • a calculus textbook published in 1979*
  • Pretty When She Destroys
  • The Last Sunday
  • Star Wars - Maul: Lockdown
  • Star Wars - The Courtship of Princess Leia

*=Ever since I graduated in the class of 1979, I never went to college so I took it upon myself to maintain and continue my education on my own.

Sayonara :kirby:

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
Some of my choices are a bit unusual but I shall not leave out anything here:
  • a physics textbook published in 1976*
  • a calculus textbook published in 1979*
  • Pretty When She Destroys
  • The Last Sunday
  • Star Wars - Maul: Lockdown
  • Star Wars - The Courtship of Princess Leia

*=Ever since I graduated in the class of 1979, I never went to college so I took it upon myself to maintain and continue my education on my own.

Sayonara :kirby:
I only read 2 books, and that's if Wikipedia articles count as a book.

My Bible and Wiki articles, I don't tend to read anything else.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
Did you say books without pictures are the best?
Books without pictures are like video games without graphics. Sure, there are a lot of them (and Zork 1 pulls it off very well), but it's very hard to picture "a humongous castle to the east" as what the author/developer intended. (I would picture a castle half the size of the earth and piercing the atmosphere.) Text-based adventure games should be done in the style of Thy Dungeonman 3 or Peasant's Quest.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
When I was younger, I liked The Catcher in The Rye and The Perks of Being a Wallflower---the theme of being alone, not fitting in, finding a special purpose. Even younger than that, I was really into A Series of Unfortunate Events---I guess I liked the siblings' brilliance. I really liked Frankenstein back in the day (also read Dracula [not as good] and The Picture of Dorian Gray [probably just as good]). After that, I started reading more manga; but the standout was Bakuman (from the creators of my favorite anime, Death Note), which I unfortunately never got to finish. The last fiction I read on my own were from a Japanese horror author named Otsuichi, known for GOTH, a mystery novel; GOTH, Kids (in the collection Calling You), and Black Fairy Tale are most likely my favorite of his works.

I read far more non-fiction than fiction. Highly influential was Paul Varley's Japanese Culture, which I read around middle school/high school. It's a comprehensive survey of Japanese history and practice. I also read Tao Te Ching (translated by D.C. Lau) when I was younger, which continues to make me question reality and second guess whether I understood the book to this day. Existentialism is a Humanism, by Jean-Paul Sartre, was foundational to my developing philosophical beliefs; as was The Satanic Scriptures, by Peter Gilmore, which I read around the same period.

I can't remember everything coherently, so here's a shout-out to everything else I considered important to me and my development:
  • A pamphlet on Veganarchism
  • Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson works on The Enneagram
  • Various works on astrology, like The Astrology Bible
  • Various books on alchemy
  • Various works on Russian nihilism, including Michael Confino's Daughter of a Revolutionary, Vera Figner's Memoirs of a Revolutionist, and Abbot Gleason's Young Russia
  • Haha, the Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire (or was it Emerald? had a scratchy holographic cover) (by Prima, I believe) and Pokemon Platinum (the really thick one) official strategy guides
  • Free As In Freedom: Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software
  • The Book of Tea
I still have a few on my plate to go through; I'm in the first third of David Irving's Hitler's War, for example. For the most part, I read articles rather than books; videos, and posts that people make on forums and blogs.

SAM_3362.JPG

Sinn0h

Thot
"Slaughterhouse 5" is always good, I love Kurt Vonnegut's humor,
"Scott Pilgrim" is an awesome graphic novel series,
"IT" by Stephen King is a pretty rad book featuring a pretty gnarly clown,
"Clockwork Orange" ftw (The movie's amazing),
The P H A T Pokemon Platinum book,
"The Dragon Quest 9" Manual is really fun to look through,
"Ender's Game" is a really good sci-fi novel,
"There Is No Right Way To Meditate" is a cute little book promoting meditation and mental health,
"Ranma½" is a great manga from the 80s with a super good anime adaptation,
"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is beautiful,
and I enjoy anything surreal.

I have a ton more but those are some of my favorites.

Last edited:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
The Gay Science by Friedrich Nietzsche. It's actually not about homoeroticism though. It's a nice book consisting entirely of very brief writings covering a large variety of insights about the world. An ideal coffee table book since it doesn't require much time or energy commitment since everything is very short. You do have to cover the title of the book with your hand while reading it in public though.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Fatalis by Jeff Rovin and A Different Flesh by Harry Turtledove are among my favorite books to read.

Quite an avid reader with a collection of novels I especially like ones that are like natural horror films.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I love 1984, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, Les Miserables, Notre Dame de Paris and stuff. I think my favorite might be The Perfume.

The best books I've read are french tho :v

Starchy

Smash Rookie
The Great Gatsby is probably my favorite book, really interesting story, good prose, and I just enjoy the 1920's upper class motif.
I read The House of The Scorpion when I was younger and really enjoyed it, lot of interesting themes but I don't want to spoil anything.

Top Bottom