• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bonk: Bonks Big Adventure Support Thread

Jumpman1985

Smash Rookie

Bonk is a video game character from NEC's TurboGrafx-16 console. Known in Japan as "PC-Genjin" (PC原人, PC-Primitive man, a punon "PC Engine") and as "BC Kid" in PAL territories, Bonk was a mascot for NEC's console. Three games featured the character appeared on the TurboGrafx-16, as well as two spin-offs featuring Airzonk. The protagonist is a bald caveman named Bonk who attacks using his comically large head. The "PC" part of his Japanese name stands for "Pithecanthropus Computerurus", a fictitious species name for Bonk.

Konami now owns the rights to the Bonk series as a result of its absorption of the series' publisher Hudson Soft in 2012

As stated on Hudson Soft's website, in their "The Definitive Bonk" article, Bonk was originally created as a comic character, PC Caveman (Genjin), in a magazine for the PC Engine. So many people liked the character that there were talks held on giving him a game of his own. In addition to this, many people even mistook him for an upcoming game character even before his game was in development, because the magazine frequently featured comics of upcoming games

The TurboGrafx-16 version of Bonk's Adventure was released for the Virtual Console service at its launch on November 21, 2006. Bonk's Revenge was released on April 16, 2007 and Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure was released on September 3, 2007 in the United States

The game's protagonist is Bonk, a strong and bald caveboy who battles anthropomorphic dinosaurs and other prehistoric themed enemies. Bonk's mission is to rescue Princess Za (a small pink Pleisiosaur-type reptile) who has been kidnapped by the evil King Drool (a large, green, Tyrannosaurus-type dinosaur). In the Arcade version, Bonk is also assisted by a female version of himself.

Bonk attacks enemies by "bonking" them with his large, invincible forehead. Bonk starts the game with three hearts' worth of health, which are depleted to blue as Bonk takes damage, and three extra lives. Bonk's health can be restored in increments by collecting fruits and vegetables

Bonk can also collect pieces of meat as power-ups; these lend him special abilities and make him stronger. There are three stages of power-up: his normal self, a second stage during which he can stun enemies by pounding on the ground, and a third stage where he becomes temporarily invulnerable. Meat can be found in two varieties: big meat and small meat. The effects of meat are additive but wear off over time. A small meat gives Bonk the second stage of meat power and a large one takes him to stage three. Eating a small meat while in stage two will also put Bonk into the third, invincible stage of meat power. When the third stage effect wears off he returns to the second state and remains there for a while before turning back to the regular Bonk. Eating either size of meat while in the third stage of meat power-up will reset the timer on Bonk's meat power.

Bonk can occasionally collect red heart power-ups that refill an entire heart worth of health, or even more rarely, a large red heart, which restores all of Bonk's missing health. There are also two rare, blue heart power-ups in the game which will increase Bonk's maximum health by one heart.
Bonking an enemy will typically knock it backward and slightly into the air. Defeating an enemy yields points and also releases a small "smiley" power-up. Bonk's smileys are totaled at the end of each stage after defeating the boss of that stage. The player is given additional points and a caveman type congratulation based on how many smileys were collected.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 We got Sonic for Sega consoles, Terry for Neo-Geo, Cloud and Snake for Playstation 1, now give us PC Kid alongside Richter for PC-Engine :upsidedown:

What's your most wanted ?

Oddball

Smash Lord
Ah... Bonk. Once he was right up there with Sonic and Mario as a system mascot and these days he's barely remembered at all. I'm all for the guy coming back.

I remember a while back they were actually working on a next gen Bonk game, but the files got destroyed in an earthquake. This is what his design was going to be.

Looks like he has a little bit of facial hair that i don't care for, but otherwise it looks decent.

I wouldn't mind the guy having an Air Zonk alt either.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I thought maybe I'll support this character (though :ultrichter: represents PC Engine), since this thread needs some bumps.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I found this image. It's from ... some game magazine from the 90s. I thought it felt Smash-like.

Bonk vs Mario vs Sonic.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This interview was posted last year, in honor of the PCE Mini.

Top Bottom