• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bombs vs Luigi

Xtra_Crispy

Smash Cadet
I just have a pocket Samus I use for certain matchups (Luigi and ICs) and I wanted to see if anyone else uses this. Basically, anytime I am on the ground and Luigi has the potential to wavedash in, I drop a bomb and get behind it. Since Luigi can't really approach from the air, he has to wait it out and can only really pressure with a fireball. This gives you time to do whatever you want (ie, charge charge shot, fire a missle) that is effectively safe. After the bomb blows up, you can tilt him away or lay another bomb. Luigi can situationally waveland across platforms to get around these, but you can cover that on reaction with a nair. It seems to just shut down a lot of his options. Plus, if you can super wavedash, that's a dirty mixup after conditioning him to wait for the bomb to blow up to punish.

This also works against ICs on similar principles and potentially forces desyncs, but they have more options to deal with the bombs.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
If you play falcon, I feel like falcon does super well against ICs, just my thoughts.

About your idea, this could work to a lesser extent, however you need to give up a bit of stage. Also, just remember it's a bit slow, and be sure to not let the luigi catch on.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
I think bombs are decent vs wavedash-heavy characters who are trying to approach (Luigi and Sopo, usually.) They have ways of dealing with bombs (hitting the bombs, wavelanding on platforms), but bombs definitely stuff wavedashes pretty well. Using them too predictably can be a problem though, because they might be able to punish the startup of the bomb (10 frames) / hit you through the bomb before you can drift far enough away.

Xtra_Crispy

Smash Cadet
I mean I main/ secondary falcon and ganon and they both HANDLE IC's (and luigi to a lesser extent) but Samus is just a fun friendlies secondary for me.

But I see what you mean about it not being the safest option; I just figured I'd pass the idea on because it seems to work very well against some mid-level luigis that I play, especially when you get the percent lead and can start boxing them out endlessly.

Top Bottom