• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Bombs Away! ~ A Guide on Young Link's Bombs by NJ'zFinest

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
This is my 3rd guide on a character's down B move (after the fox and falco shine guides). Hopefull it can become...near as useful

The Young Link Bomb Mini Guide

Part I - How do you use them?
Buzz said:
The bomb is the single most important projectile because it is the most versatile. Any free moment should be used to pull out a bomb. The reason is Young Link can simply dispose of it if the need arises (i.e. he needs his sword free). The bomb can be thrown in any direction, and the explosion takes priority over everything. That is important for situations where the bow or boomerang will not pierce. Young Link can also use his other projectiles while still holding a bomb, so it's best to pull the bomb out while you have a free moment.
C sticking:
When throwing bombs in the air, it is sometimes much more efficient to use the C stick such as when you are jumping in one direction but throwing in the other (you won't lose momentum).

Smash throwing vs Normal throwing:
Smash throwing is almost always superior to normally throwing a bomb, it is just as fast, and does more damage and travels further and faster, the only time you should normal throw is for its trajectory, particularly for edge guarding.

Shield throwing:
Bombs can be thrown in any direction directly from your shield, it is the easiest way to counterattack from shield, especially against attacks with great range (marth).

Throwing Upwards:
When throwing a bomb upwards, try and bait the enemy into approaching you. This allows for...
- Your oppenent to get hit by the bomb
- You hit them into the bomb
- They are forced to shield the bomb during their approach

Dash Throw Bombs:
Slower than the standard throw, however the bomb will do slightly more damage and knockback than the standard throw, best used for edge guarding when it is the most suitable trajectory.

Roll Cancel Bombs:
It is possible to cancel Young Link's roll animation by throwing the bomb.
In the first part of a roll you can throw a bomb. It's not very useful, but it can allow you to move that extra bit forward when shield throwing a bomb (it looks alitte like a wavedash).

Catching and Dropping Bombs:

You can catch bombs by simply pressing Z or A at the right moment.
You can also drop bombs by pressing Z or A+L/R. You can also jump backwards, and z drop a bomb to cover yourself while retreating away. You can then throw a boomerang or reverse an arrow at the oppenent immediately after the bomb drop.

Bomb Setting:
Bomb Setting is where you would set a bomb on the ground without it exploding. This would allow you to pick the bomb up after you do other moves. This is done by tapping Z the moment you hit the floor.

Short hopped bomb throw to double jump or waveland:
After performing a SH + bomb throw, you have enough to to waveland after it or double jump. It's good for spacing or when trying to link moves such as SH, bomb, double jump N-air.

Changing Directions:

Jump in a direction, throw your bomb in the other direction with the C stick. This allows you to change directions midair (use b-air instead of f-air or a backwards n-air).

Jump canceled/ Crouch canceled Bombs:
Jump canceling bombs: run in a direction, then press X/Y, or up, smash forward + press Z instintly. Young link will stop immediately and throw the bomb (not a dash throw). To Jump cancel a backwards throw, X/Y + smash backward + Z. This allows you to punish missed attacks from your dash. It's also a good way to attack oppenents when they try to chase you.
Crouch canceling bombs: simply run in a direction, crouch, and c stick throw a bomb (any direction). Do this fast enough so that you won't see Young Link's crouching animation at all.
Both of these have the same results, use whichever feels best.

Edge guarding techniques involving bombs:
-Simply throwing bombs of the stage at the oppenent.
-Jump of the stage and throw a bomb in the opposite the direction (at the stage), then do a N-air or B-air at the recovering oppenent. You can easily recovery because of Young Link's great up B or you can use the hook shot.
-Throw bombs upwards at the edge of a stage or jump up and Z dropping/throw down bombs at the edge: If your oppenent can either land on the stage or grab the edge, this is pretty useful since the bomb would avoid them from grabbing the edge and you can simply attack with whatever move if they land on the stage near you.
More to come on this...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero

Part II - Being Creative

Edge Bombing:
When you're climbing up from the edge you have invincibility frames. If timed correctly your bomb will explode as you are getting up from the edge of the stage creating your edge hog tactic.

Bomb Stun:
Any attack that can stun you when you have a bomb in hand will make you drop the bomb.You still take full damage from bombs and the attack that hit you, but may not go don't go flying. This may be useful when your damage percentage is very high, I wouldn't recomment relying on it.

Bomb canceling:
You can use your bomb to cancel any one of Young Link's moves (the only one worth canceling is his up B). It's not very useful, but you can do a couple of things with it. For example, hold a bomb in your hand. Before it explodes, use Young Link's spin attack to catch an oppenent in the move. Crouch cancel the bomb's explosion and short hop (or full jump) D-air your oppenent (who can't do anything).

Linking Bombs with Aerials:
Since Young Link's bombs leave a nice "stun" on your oppenents, take advantage of that. After you throw a bomb and if you are close enough to the enemy, you can land any aerial afterwards. It's one of the easiest ways to land a D-air on an oppenent.

Bomb Counter:
You know how crouch canceingl works, right? You hold down, allow your oppenent to attack you, and immediately counter attack with a quick move (usually a fast dsmash, which ylink has). Using the priority of bombs, you can throw a bomb downwards while crouch canceling once an oppenent attacks you. Rather than recieving their blow, your bomb will stun the the oppenent. Since you are CCing the bomb, you can quickly attack. I think it's better than crouch canceling since you recieve less damage this way (Young Link is a light character afterall).

Shield Catching Bombs: (Courtesy of Caveman)
Originally done by Caveman, a great bomb tactic is to throw a bomb at your oppenents shield (they usually will sheild bombs when thrown at them), then jump and retrieve the bomb, then throw the bomb again. This oftenly surpises the oppenent since they almost always drop their shields after the bomb was first thrown.

Bomb Teching:

Either throwing a bomb into a wall right next to you and teching just after the explosion, or holding onto the bomb as it explodes and teching that way. Can be done near the bottom of many levels so that you seems to "slide" up the side of the wall, and followed up with up+b to recover.

Short hop fast fall bomb catching:
(Courtesy of Laijin)
All this is useful for is making your bomb explode faster while being held. Otherwise..its pointless(I guess you can use it for mind games?). Whenever you want your bomb to explode in mid-air or in your hand alot faster than waiting use this. Just simply short hop, press Z to drop your bomb, then fast fall to the ground and press Z again to catch it. Do it repeatedly to make your bomb explode faster.
It is kinda useful when your charging towards your opponent and they grab you. The bomb explosion will save you from the grab.

Shield Bombing: (Courtesy of Laijin)
Have a bomb in your hand. Wait for it to explode(or do the SHFFL Bomb Catching thing I told you about above), then wait for your opponent to attack. Instead of shield grabing their attack, you can shield and wait for the bomb to explode. The bomb should cover Young Link's body and stun your enemy as they attack while not giving out any damage to Young Link himself. This will allow you to follow up with a counter attack of your own.

Bomb Juggling:
(Courtesy of Laijin)
This is pretty useless and is just used to show off. Pretty much, throw a bomb into the air directly above you. Then quickly dash forward and throw another bomb into the air right next to the first bomb. Before the first bomb lands, dash back and catch it...then quickly throw it back up. Before the second bomb lands, dash back to it and throw it back up.
Pretty pointless, not very flashy either, but you can use it to waste time while your waiting for your opponent to respawn or something...kinda like a taunt just to show off.

Bomb to Dair (?):
(Courtesy of Pneuma)
Running into an opponent and sh-dropping the bomb on them to do that 1% damage. Follow with a dair.
Use it when you expect them to spotdodge/grab (or just play defensive in general). If they spotdodge, the bomb lands at their feet and you have a dair ready, if they try to grab, they get hit and then get daired.

Bomb Wavelanding (?):
(Courtesy of Pneuma)
Also, sh-bombdrop-wavedash. It's just a wavedash with 1 frame of pressing Z after you leave the ground. Puts an explosion where you used to be. Real fun against dashattack/dashgrab abusers. Takes practice though.

Multiple Bomb throwing:Courtesy of NJzFinest
This is pretty much just bomb dropping as much as possible and then grabbing+throwing the bombs you placed + the one you should be currently holding. For example, you place a bomb on the ground, then on a platform, then you pull another. You throw that one and abuse the fact young link is fast enough to run and grab the remaining ones and throw them before they explode. Good ways to drop them are -> short hop and drop before you hit the ground; as you jump through a platform; as you drop through a platform; as you ledgehop off the edge. The most I've been able to do is 3 bombs in a row. 2 is good enough. It's really hard to explain, but incorporate placing bombs on the ground/platforms into your regular spam.

Bombdrop to bombpullCourtesy of XIII ways to die
sh-bombdrop-downb fast enough to pull a bomb out before you landed on the one you just dropped. if done right you will beable to pull a bomb out in the aair without the animation happening.

uses= if your oppent aproaches you where you have to drop your bomb you can use that explosion to stop the animation and have an instant bomb. to use again.
you can pull a bomb out right when you drop the bomb. it kindof feels like wavedashing speed from z to b.

(?) = I don't know what to call it

If you have anything to add, please post it (yes, this is part is similiar to the thread 8000 made, however it's in the Link specific and meant for Link players).

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Hope said:
nice maybe at a part of bomb teching?
i was thinking about adding that, but for young link, it's basically goes under teching in general, it's nothing special. but for adult link, it's his form of wall jump.
i guess ill at it anyways :psycho:

3GOD

Smash Ace
Nice work! You might check and replace the word "turnip" with "bomb" in a few instances.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
3GOD said:
Nice work! You might check and replace the word "turnip" with "bomb" in a few instances.
lol, sorry, i was reading a turnup guide and found out that ylink's bombs work like peach's turnips

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Peachtress said:
Nice, very impressive. If my memory serves me right, did you mention anything about Bomb setting?
It's described under Dropping bombs, but might as well make it a separate technique
Peachtress said:
It's pretty **** cool.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
Dude... this guide sux...

>_>
<_<
>_>

*starts copying all the text to put into The Kokiri Konqueror*

Laijin

Smash Hero
I have a few that are actually kinda useful.

Short hop fast fall bomb catching:
All this is useful for is making your bomb explode faster while being held. Otherwise..its pointless(I guess you can use it for mind games?). Whenever you want your bomb to explode in mid-air or in your hand alot faster than waiting use this. Just simply short hop, press Z to drop your bomb, then fast fall to the ground and press Z again to catch it. Do it repeatedly to make your bomb explode faster.
It is kinda useful when your charging towards your opponent and they grab you. The bomb explosion will save you from the grab.

Shield Bombing:
Have a bomb in your hand. Wait for it to explode(or do the SHFFL Bomb Catching thing I told you about above), then wait for your opponent to attack. Instead of shield grabing their attack, you can shield and wait for the bomb to explode. The bomb should cover Young Link's body and stun your enemy as they attack while not giving out any damage to Young Link himself. This will allow you to follow up with a counter attack of your own.

Bomb Juggling:
This is pretty useless and is just used to show off. Pretty much, throw a bomb into the air directly above you. Then quickly dash forward and throw another bomb into the air right next to the first bomb. Before the first bomb lands, dash back and catch it...then quickly throw it back up. Before the second bomb lands, dash back to it and throw it back up.
Pretty pointless, not very flashy either, but you can use it to waste time while your waiting for your opponent to respawn or something...kinda like a taunt just to show off.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
Oh yeah sheild bombing, you can throw your bomb while sheilding, that's a good mingame I use often.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
I don't know if there is a term for it or not, but running into an opponent and sh-dropping the bomb on them to do that 1% damage. Follow with a dair.
Use it when you expect them to spotdodge/grab (or just play defensive in general). If they spotdodge, the bomb lands at their feet and you have a dair ready, if they try to grab, they get hit and then get daired.

Also, sh-bombdrop-wavedash. It's just a wavedash with 1 frame of pressing Z after you leave the ground. Puts an explosion where you used to be. Real fun against dashattack/dashgrab abusers. Takes practice though.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
oops, forgot about this thread

I don't know if there is a term for it or not, but running into an opponent and sh-dropping the bomb on them to do that 1% damage. Follow with a dair.

*adds this to part II*

nice guide....
thank you

Cort

Apple Head
What!? NJ makes a bomb guide!?

Lol, this is rather extensive for being just about... bombs.

I like the cute pictures >_>

Lightningmage

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. I love the Z-Drop Bomb to dair technique, I use it quite a bit. Although, when I do it...I tend to stab the bomb and make it blow up. However, I can then get the second bounce (sometimes the third) on the opponent and have no lag to follow it up with a nair. Pretty interesting. Thanks a lot, I'm really starting to like Y.Link more and more.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
F&F, I've discovered that the technique where you short-hop bomb-release, fast-fall to catch repeatedly doesn't make the bomb blow up faster at all. It's merely a new way to count and keep track of how much longer the bomb has to blow up. Doing that 5 times repeatedly is about 5 seconds long, which is how long it takes for the bomb to blow up. So, if you figure, doing that technique 5 times in a row, the bomb will blow up. It's a cool way to keep track of the bombs timing, and it's flashy. But if you can I'd take out the information in your guide that says it blows up faster, since it's not true and could lead to flames/gay replys/etc.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Oh wow.
Now that you mention it, I do notice that now.

It just seemed at first when I was doing it that the bomb blew up faster than just holding it normally.
Yep, it just seems faster. It does prove to have other uses though, but the only real use I can see it being useful for is keeping track of the bombs timing. The uses for this technique would be revolving around the fact that it's a bomb-timing technique. For ex., say you were right next to the ledge, and you did this technique 4 times in a row upon taking out the bomb, then you up+B to the ledge. The bomb should blow up during your invinsibility frames after grabbing the ledge ;).

This is a good technique and should be used, since it could lead to things like this that can help you ;).

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
F&F, I've discovered that the technique where you short-hop bomb-release, fast-fall to catch repeatedly doesn't make the bomb blow up faster at all. It's merely a new way to count and keep track of how much longer the bomb has to blow up. Doing that 5 times repeatedly is about 5 seconds long, which is how long it takes for the bomb to blow up. So, if you figure, doing that technique 5 times in a row, the bomb will blow up. It's a cool way to keep track of the bombs timing, and it's flashy. But if you can I'd take out the information in your guide that says it blows up faster, since it's not true and could lead to flames/gay replys/etc.
I know what this is, never new the name of it. People have been doing it for awhile with Link (since it's easier with him), but I never thought of using this technique that way! I thought it was merely for flashiness, nice find.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
This Bomb Guide owns

I know what this is, never new the name of it. People have been doing it for awhile with Link (since it's easier with him), but I never thought of using this technique that way! I thought it was merely for flashiness, nice find.
Thanks man. Yea it's really useful in some cases and I think it could be implemented in Young Link players' game.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
hahaha ....lol i know it was out of good fun i have to admit no harm done since im admitting it
no it was a good guide over all sorry Buzz....lol:laugh:
*removes Ichor from my list of people not to kill*

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Um this has probably allready been added but i'm half asleep right now so I don't remember reading it. Anyways um...if your fighting your opponent on the edge and you know you might get knocked of i would say to grab out a bomb because if your recovery doesn't save you than when the bomb explodes you get an extra recovery saving you. I do this quite a bit. And i've seen caveman use it also.

Anyways great guide FoxandFalco And thnx to everyone who has contributed to the y link community. buzz saw and some others who helped add to the guide. sorry i'm not good with names.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I hope I didn't just skip over this if it was already covered, but can you post any information on the trick where Link/Y.Link throws the bomb straight up, does an up-b into it, and makes it explode, giving them another up-b opportunity?

If this is something only Link can do, then I apologize in advance for being a noob with Y.Link.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
Sorry that is the bomb recovery for Adult Link, not possible with Young Link, but he can always hold the bomb till it explodes giving him an extra Up-B. Kinda pathetic by comparison, but it works.

Ichor

Smash Journeyman
Yea its all in the right tho if you think about it really because Y.Link has a already good recovery so he does not need a trick one.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
Yes, when you consider Young Link's uber up-B and how much distance it covers, it is quite nice. Granted, Link can bomb jump at will, but Young Link is still teh pwnz0rz. ^_^

Top Bottom