• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bombing at the Boston Marathon

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-boston-marathon-explosion-20130415,0,641755.story
Chicago Tribune said:
BOSTON—

Two simultaneous explosions ripped through the crowd at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing two people and injuring dozens on a day when tens of thousands of people pack the streets to watch the world famous race.

Runners were heading for the finish when a fireball and smoke rose from behind cheering spectators and a row of flags representing the countries of participants, video from the scene showed. Other pictures showed blood stains on the ground and several people knocked down.

An hour after the 2:50 p.m. EDT blasts in Boston's Copley Square marred the usually joyous end to the marathon, a fire erupted at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library three miles away, but no one was injured, police said.

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis told a news conference the authorities were not certain whether the fire, possibly started by an incendiary device, was related.

Two high-level U.S. law enforcement officials said one or more bombs caused the explosions at the scene of the marathon, which is run annually on the state holiday Patriots' Day.

“It sounded like a sonic boom. I haven't stopped shaking yet,” said Melissa Stanley, who watched her daughter cross the finish line four minutes before the explosions.

The blasts put police on alert in major cities across the United States, including in Washington, D.C. where President Barack Obama was briefed by security personnel.

Three Boston area-hospitals contacted by Reuters reported a total of at least 51 hurt. Some of those may have been hospitalized for treatment from running the marathon. The Boston Globe newspaper reported on Twitter that more than 100 people were hurt, but it did not provide a source for the information.

Ambulances, fire trucks and dozens of police vehicles converged at the finish line, and spectators could be seen crying and consoling each other.

“Blood everywhere, victims carried out on stretchers. I saw someone lose their leg, people are crying,” the Boston Globe's Steve Silva reported from the scene, the Globe said on Twitter.

The two explosions were about 50 to 100 yards apart as runners crossed the finish line with a timer showing 4 hours and 9 minutes, some 9 minutes faster than the average finish time, as reported by Runner's World magazine.

Of the 23,326 runners who started the race on Monday, 17,584 finished before the blast, marathon officials said. The runners were diverted before officials brought the marathon to a halt.

Mike Mitchell of Vancouver, Canada, a runner who had finished the race, said he was looking back at the finish line and saw a “massive explosion.”

Smoke rose 50 feet in the air, Mitchell said. People began running and screaming after hearing the noise, Mitchell said.

“Everybody freaked out,” Mitchell said.

MASSIVE RESPONSE

“Every asset of the Commonwealth (state) of Massachusetts and the federal government is either here or coming here,” Governor Deval Patrick told reporters.

The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, Justice Department, Homeland Security Department and other agencies were all lending assistance to the investigation, authorities said.

Obama directed his administration to provide whatever assistance was necessary, the White House said. Obama was being briefed by Homeland Security Adviser Lisa Monaco and other staff, the White House said.

Spectators typically line the 26.2 mile race course, with the heaviest crowds near the finish line.

The transit agency shut down all service to the area, citing police activity, and the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration temporarily restricted airspace over the scene, a spokesman said.

The Boston Marathon has been held on Patriot's Day, the third Monday of April, since 1897. The event, which starts in Hopkinton, Massachusetts and ends in Boston's Copley Square, attracts an estimated half-million spectators and some 20,000 participants every year.

The Boston Symphony Orchestra cancelled Monday night's concert and the National Hockey League's Boston Bruins canceled their home game against the Ottawa Senators.

Earlier on Monday, Ethiopia's Lelisa Desisa and Kenya's Rita Jeptoo won the men's and women's events, continuing African runners' dominance in the sport.
I am at a loss of words as to what happened...

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
Too unintelligent to communicate their agenda through non-violent means- well, that would be the case if there really was any sort of agenda.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I just wish the WBC would shut the **** up already. They're a middle finger to religion, and that's coming from someone who doesn't care for religion.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This was pretty much the only thing on TV yesterday at my work place, and I'm with so many others in trying to figure out the "Who" "What" "Why"? A few Saudis have been interviewed, but it seems like they are cooperating, and it doesn't seem like they are prime suspects. Could be disgruntled home grown citizens, someone insane, or maybe something entirely else.

It's bad enough when I have to watch foreign news and see this in other countries, but it definitely hurts a bit more when it's in your own country. No one deserves this, especially the children.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Seriously, are there no depths the Westboro Baptist Church won't sink to?

Westboro Baptist Church to picket explosion victims funerals: Petition started

I plan to go down to Boston to not only show my support as I originally planned, but to also counterprotest these sorry sons of *****es!
*groan* You have GOT to be kidding me.

You know, I wouldn't even call that place a church. All they do is hate everybody. >.>

Well, at least they're not throwing bombs at people.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
"City of Boston on lockdown; suspects shoot MIT police officer dead, flee in stolen car; Gunfire, explosions later heard in nearby Watertown, where one suspect is killed"

So as it stands now, they've identified the names of the two suspects (both of which are brothers); Tamerlan Tsarnaev (26 years of age) and Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev (19 years of age). Suspect 1 (Tamerlan) is now dead, after a shootout with police authority early this morning (confrontation around 12:45 AM; Pronounced dead at 1:35 AM). Dzhokhar is currently listed as "Suspect 2", and "on the run". At this very moment, the city of Boston is on lockdown:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...assive-manhunt-for-2nd-the-white-hat-suspect/

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I can't believe an officer had to die. Hope they bring the other suspect in alive.

In spite of how horrible this whole ordeal has been and still is, it's a little gratifying to know that we found them so quickly. The perpetrator of the 1996 Olympic bombing in Atlanta took over five years to find, I believe.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So they finally caught the other suspect. Hopefully, they can squeeze as much info out of him as possible. That said, I can't help but feel that there were more than just those two behind the bombings.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Al Qaeda already denounced they are related to these kids. It really might've been a solo job after all.

I'm just starting to question a bit of why there were bomb sniffing dogs, and agents on the roofs prior to the bombs going off. It seems a bit extreme to have that sort of security for a marathon up until then. Also, I happened to read from a NYT article about the WTC bombing in 1993, how the FBI knew about it prematurely, yet did not do anything about it.

Not sure how I feel about the parents saying the kids were set up, but it is a well known fact that FBI does groom immigrants to become terrorists, so they can arrest them later on. Though they usually don't let it go to the point the plot is actually carried out.

Overall, probably some kids who were a bit deranged and extreme in their beliefs. They sought to take action by killing people. Shame.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Al Qaeda already denounced they are related to these kids. It really might've been a solo job after all.
The fact that they were still in boston after the bombing is a pretty telltale sign that this was a domestic terrorism attack. If they were actually part of something bigger, they would have gotten the hell out of boston after the bombs went off.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Just popping in to say that there is a lot of speculation on this being faked. I haven't read up on all of the facts, but just like sandy hook, there is a lot of misinformation, a lack of evidence, and a story that keeps changing. I'll be watching, but I'd like everyone to keep in mind that this seems really fishy.

D

Deleted member

I heard about this yesterday. A policeman and one perpetrator died. Other culprit was in custody. 3 spectators perished in this incident. One of scariest thing I heard.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
WSJ said:
After the MIT shooting, the brothers allegedly used a gun to steal a Mercedes sport-utility vehicle, briefly kidnapping the driver and telling him they were responsible for the bombings, U.S. officials said. The driver was forced to withdraw cash from an ATM, then pushed out of the car.
The driver notified police, who spotted the stolen Mercedes and began the chase, with the suspects throwing explosive devices out of their vehicle.
Brilliant.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
One of the news reporters on CBS said their father was a muslim a couple times, then "corrected" himself by saying the father wasn't a muslim... I found that a bit fishy.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That's just the media trusting any "source" they can get their hands on. CNN had a big gaffe the following day of the explosion where they reported someone had been arrested only to correct themselves that no one had been arrested 5 minutes later.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
That's just the media trusting any "source" they can get their hands on. CNN had a big gaffe the following day of the explosion where they reported someone had been arrested only to correct themselves that no one had been arrested 5 minutes later.
Jon Stewart is hilarious.

Terrorists are stupid, undeveloped things.
No no no, they are definitely people. You don't have to lie to yourself and dehumanize them just because you don't understand them. They are most-definitely human, just like you and I, and they are doing regular human things. This kind of behavior, albeit tragic, isn't new, irregular, or by any means an accident. There is a reason why this happened, and segregating them won't get us anywhere closer to finding out "why".

theeboredone

Smash Legend
A bit of a stupid question, but can someone explain to me in lame terms what would it mean if he were tried under a military court and not read his Miranda Rights? Reports are saying he could be charged today, but is still out of it. So even if they do read his Miranda Rights, him being hardly conscious...does that matter?

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I knew it was planned when I heard they had troops there before it even happened.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
So, did you look at that page?

I love it when people call conspiracy theories frivolous when there is such inordinate amounts of evidence. The Boston Bombings were staged by the same people who staged Sandy Hook and Colorado.

Here are some of the connections:
The lawyer of the colorado shooter was also in a news report as the parent of one of the children of Sandy Hook, but the parents and the child never turned out to exist within the school system or Newtown. And no, they aren't just look alikes. She uses the same name. She is also listed on an actor's employment site. She can be seen with her REAL husband in the interview, and there are more photos of them together. Her identity was discovered to be that of a Florida actress.
The school principal at Sandy Hook was at the bombing and was interviewed.

Just do individual research on each hoax and you'll find TONS and TONS of fallacies. Look up Sandy Hook: The Documentary. It has ridiculous and undeniable compelling evidence. You can't tell me that guy laughing 5 hours after his daughter was shot wasn't an actor.

Its very easy to see why this happened if you look at the DIRECT consequences, or what will be consequences, of these three events. Immediately after these events, Obama spoke to the public and then proceeded to push legislation directly related to the nature of the crimes.
"Senator Diane Feinstein announced she would introduce a Federal assault weapons ban bill in the U.S. Senate following the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting."
"On April 17, 2013, the Senate voted 60 to 40 against reinstating the federal assault weapons ban"
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub...?File_id=9a9270d5-ce4d-49fb-9b2f-69e69f517fb4
And here's another interesting but obviously forged quote.
" “My 24-year-old son Alex was murdered in a movie theater in Colorado,” Caren Teves said. “These assault rifles allow the shooter to fire many rounds without having to re-load. These weapons do not belong on our streets.”. "

They are basically to ban all guns by saying "any gun that shoots bullets"

So you tell me, after that, that you DON'T think there's some connection between massively confusing crises where we're provided little to no truth, and the fact that each event has been used to push legislation?

Now when they ban ammunition powder because it was used for the bomb, you'll know. And when the weapon ban finally goes through, we'll be in deep ****.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's an incorrect quote. No assault weapons were used in that shooting.

In fact, all automatic rifles made after the 80's are banned. And it's REALLY hard to get automatic rifles in the states WHERE THEY ARE LEGAL to own. There are many states where they are not legal

Unless by "Assault Rifles" They mean any rifle that isn't single shot.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Its true. It is known that an assault rifle was not used. Yet there were news reports detailing bullet holes in a car from the rifle. It became the story that an assault rifle was used, yet we know every single death was by longrifle according to the mortician.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Its true. It is known that an assault rifle was not used. Yet there were news reports detailing bullet holes in a car from the rifle. It became the story that an assault rifle was used, yet we know every single death was by longrifle according to the mortician.
Are you saying the news was...wrong!?

BUT THAT NEVER HAPPENS.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
No, I'm saying the news looked at a car with AR15 bullet holes in it when no AR15 bullets were fired.

Top Bottom