• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb Refresh (With Numbers)

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Repeatedly when I'm playing Link I'll run into 1 of 4 problems.
The first one is my grab not working. (Thanks for the neat feature PMDT)
The second is people going in and out of my Usmash like it's made of water. (Marry me PMDT)
The third one is non-sarcastic. I'll land up B either as a kill move or as I'm recovering and then need to bomb jump later. Too bad. So sad. See ya next stock, nerd. Whatever.
The fourth one is a bit more irritating. I'll land a move on my opponent such as Dsmash/Uair/Fair while they're at extremely high percents, such as like 160%, and they'll live.
What the actual ****? a salty me might ask. Well, this is because I use those moves constantly in my neutral play/punishment game outside of just killing with them, so they were more than likely extremely stale without me realizing it.

The stale move queue is 9 slots, and every time you land a move, it moves the list over thus deleting the move in the 9th slot.
As we can surmise from bomb jumping only working once before going to stale bread hell, hitting Link's bombs stales moves.
As another bit of anecdotal evidence, I played a version of Link where his Fair did 15% instead of 14% uncompensated. The move regularly killed at 90%. So single damage points add up to a lot.

What I propose as a little bit of micro optimization that may not matter that much but still might be worth trying, is between stocks we do something like... short hop bomb plant > fade back > jab jab the bomb so it stales our jab instead of our more important moves like Fair and Uair. Similarly, bomb punting also refreshes your moves by 1 by staling your Zair (drop a bomb and hit it with Zair for those unfamiliar), and it's far more feasible to do during neutral play when you're throwing **** at your opponent. There might be some combination of things you can do that are more efficient than the ones I mentioned, but that's the basic idea. This also helps you gain access to bomb jump for later in the event that you burned it earlier in your stock. If you find yourself with your hard-hitting spam moves horribly staled, perhaps keep this in mind. It could be that small margin that lets you kill them later in the stock.

Here are numbers to support this theory:
Fair fully staled does 7%. After landing jab 1 on a bomb, it goes to 8%. After landing both jab 1 and 2 on a bomb, it goes to 10% (this is after I re-staled it obviously). The effect seems more than marginal and the tech itself is very non-committal.

Thor

Smash Champion
Here are numbers to support this theory:
Fair fully staled does 7%. After landing jab 1 on a bomb, it goes to 8%. After landing both jab 1 and 2 on a bomb, it goes to 10% (this is after I re-staled it obviously). The effect seems more than marginal and the tech itself is very non-committal.
Bombs staling moves is new [thanks PMDT? In Melee it meant you could bomb jump to your heart's content if you had a fresh up+b], but it's also why I tend to almost exclusively bomb thrust for bomb jumping [yay AGT], since it is NEVER too stale to work.

This idea is really sick though, and I might try it. I usually just drop bombs everywhere because people will waste time wavelanding on them to pick them up, or sometimes I can extend a combo by hitting someone into a planted bomb. But destaling not only KO moves, but also boomerang, nair, and spin attack, sounds extremely useful [if two reps saves 3% on fair, imagine saving 2% on nair, 3% on uair, and 3% on fair... that's basically the equivalent of landing an additional dthrow for percentage, which can be the difference between a stock and not for a dair].

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Bombs staling moves is new [thanks PMDT? In Melee it meant you could bomb jump to your heart's content if you had a fresh up+b], but it's also why I tend to almost exclusively bomb thrust for bomb jumping [yay AGT], since it is NEVER too stale to work.

This idea is really sick though, and I might try it. I usually just drop bombs everywhere because people will waste time wavelanding on them to pick them up, or sometimes I can extend a combo by hitting someone into a planted bomb. But destaling not only KO moves, but also boomerang, nair, and spin attack, sounds extremely useful [if two reps saves 3% on fair, imagine saving 2% on nair, 3% on uair, and 3% on fair... that's basically the equivalent of landing an additional dthrow for percentage, which can be the difference between a stock and not for a dair].

This was partially inspired by Leffen's video about how landing 1 laser destales Nairplane enough to do significantly more damage over the course of 9. But ya, you have 0 risk in doing this and it's potentially more potent than it would seem at first. I see no reason not to do it if you know your moves are stale.

I actually went and found it for you in case you care: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STR214XUsEU

Thor

Smash Champion
This was partially inspired by Leffen's video about how landing 1 laser destales Nairplane enough to do significantly more damage over the course of 9. But ya, you have 0 risk in doing this and it's potentially more potent than it would seem at first. I see no reason not to do it if you know your moves are stale.

I actually went and found it for you in case you care: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STR214XUsEU
I've actually seen the video, but I always thought of bombs staling Link's moves as a nerf, because it means you can't do multiple regular bomb jumps like in Melee. The fact that you decided to jab the bombs to freshen moves was quite smart.

I might also try moves that are even less consequential (jab jab grab/spin attack/punish defensive option to avoid those two can be useful), like ftilt or possibly dtilt [I like dtilt, but it's soooo slow... and honestly, doing less damage might improve its setup potential].

This video is quite useful to anyone who hasn't seen it though, so it was a good idea to link it.

Top Bottom