• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb Jumping/Aerial Glide Tossing

UmmBees

Smash Apprentice
So I have looked up videos on youtube and looked on the forums and I still can't seem to Bomb Jump/Aerial Glide Toss with Link. Can someone explain to me the specific inputs please? Thanks

Fortress

Smash Master
It took me a few hours of drilling on Final Destination to really nail down, but here's pretty much what you need to do.

1) While in the air, get out a bomb (try holding diagonally down and B, such that you don't accidentally fast fall; the steeper the angle you hold Down+B at, the better). Try to do this at the peak of your launch, before you start falling.

2) Use any remaining jumps that you might have. If you're tumbling and have none, then you can still make it work in most cases.

3) Air Dodge while holding Up on the control stick (to get that directional boost), and press A at nearly the same time (just a little after the air dodge). If done right, you'll 'drop' the bomb, and it'll fly up over you.

4) Quickly Up+B into the bomb. Keep Link moving as straight up as possible until you hit it. Moving too far to the sides could cause you to bat the bomb out of your way, or just plain miss.

Hopefully that helps. Just hop onto FD, or a map with a low blast line, and try it there. Link can, amazingly enough, recover from very low on Final Destination.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
hey I was messing around learning how to bomb jump after a agt but it doesn't seem to work after the first successful one but if I lose a stock i'm able to do it again, but again only the one time, I'm I doing something wrong or is this just how it is

Sarix

Smash Ace
hey I was messing around learning how to bomb jump after a agt but it doesn't seem to work after the first successful one but if I lose a stock i'm able to do it again, but again only the one time, I'm I doing something wrong or is this just how it is
I think that was just an execution/timing error.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
The C-stick can also be used to throw the bomb out of the airdodge, and is often preferrable because Link will toss the bomb in whichever direction the C-stick input is. I particularly enjoy jumping twice and then AGTing upwards while throwing the bomb downwards, it really messes with people that try to intercept your landing.

Once you have the hang of doing an AGT, practice throwing the bomb in directions other than the one you're moving in. It'll open up interesting defensive and offensive possibilities for a character with otherwise middling mobility.

Fortress

Smash Master
Sarix is right, and it's probably just a timing thing on your part. Of course, make sure your controller is in a decent condition (no sticking buttons or what have you), and hit up training mode for some practice. Slow down the game speed if need be. If you were able to do it a couple of times, then you're getting there. Just keep at it.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Sarix is right, and it's probably just a timing thing on your part. Of course, make sure your controller is in a decent condition (no sticking buttons or what have you), and hit up training mode for some practice. Slow down the game speed if need be. If you were able to do it a couple of times, then you're getting there. Just keep at it.
No, NEVER slow down the time. You want to get the timing for it in real-time. If you slow it down, it will only take longer for the muscle memory to set in. The way I see it, there is nearly no pause between the airdodge & the throw. Literally within half of a second of each other. Try to let the inputs flow across the controller from left to right; Control Stick+R>C-Stick/A. For the bomb jump, there should be approximately 1 second between the bomb throw & the Up-B, start it just as Link reaches the apex of his AGT. Make sure the bomb hits him on the head or just behind his head, & it usually has to hit on the last slash of his Up-B, else he will knock it away.

Fortress

Smash Master
I forgot to mention that you just work your way up to a higher speed lol. That's what I did with the wavedash, anyway, and it worked out for me. The only problem I have with the bomb recovery is occasionally whapping the thing out of the way trying to do it. But, yeah, it's because Link connected his spin attack too soon.

E2xD

Smash Apprentice
When I first started with Link back in January (and 2.5) I was able to AGT and bomb recover almost infinitely. After several months of 2.6, I have come to the conclusion that you can merely do it once, maybe twice if you are lucky. Is it an execution error as claimed or was it something the PMBR fixed/nerfed? Been curious of this for quite a while, just been too lazy to ask.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
It's most likely his Up-B staling, which causes it to do less damage, so it isn't strong enough to make the bomb explode.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
You have four frames after your airdodge to cancel it with a throw. I might be wrong on frame count. If you don't throw the bomb in that span of time, you will zair instead. Hope this helps.

jav02

Smash Rookie
I labbed this for a while and my only reliable way to bomb jump is agt in place (just air dodge) then throw the bomb up and up b into it. The problem is with either agt up or in place.Watch out for move staling. I think the reason it can get swatted away and you seem to be able to do it only once per stock is that once your up b hits a bomb it is a little weaker until you hit your opponent (and things like bombs) 9 times with other moves that are not your up b to un-stale it. This seems to be suppported by the fact that I am much more consistent in training mode where there is no staling. I think links up b has to be as strong as possible to increase the chances of it blowing up since the bomb has health.

Top Bottom