• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Bob-Omg Social: Count to 300 bob-ombs!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Okay now I'm curious because when something crappy gets mentioned, I stick to it like a fly on honey. Also, was it during dinner or did the show have dinner in it? :p
It was during the dinner me and my family had lol

And it's a series/min-series adaptation of Stephen King's The Mist. We're five episodes in out of what is supposed to be a ten episode thing.

I'll admit, I don't think it would stand out all that much on it's own, but my specific problems with are it the fact that it does very little (if anything) to stay true to it's roots. The original book and the movie had big, nasty, supernatural alien monsters. This series has......a very humanoid shadow entity and rapidly multiplying bugs form real life (with no signs of the previously mentioned big alien creatures among them). Nothing like that was in the original story to my knowledge. And we barely even get to see any of that, because the supernatural stuff mainly takes a backseat to several different characters in a large main cast with subplots of their own that I find very difficult to care about.

I mean, I guess it isn't a particularly special or outstanding brand of terrible, but going in knowing the source material and what said source material is like, I was just personally really disappointed.

Last edited:

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

It was during the dinner me and my family had lol
Gotta make sure :upsidedown:
And it's a series/min-series adaptation of Stephen King's The Mist. We're five episodes in out of what is supposed to be a ten episode thing.

I'll admit, I don't think it would stand out all that much on it's own, but my specific problems with are it the fact that it does very little (if anything) to stay true to it's roots. The original book and the movie had big, nasty, supernatural alien monsters. This series has......a very humanoid shadow entity and rapidly multiplying bugs form real life (with no signs of the previously mentioned big alien creatures among them). Nothing like that was in the original story to my knowledge. And we barely even get to see any of that. The supernatural stuff mainly takes a backseat to several different characters with subplots of their own that I find very difficult to care about.
Ah, I see.

Y'know the whole book to movie thing and to a miniseries isn't really any different as far as how close to the books they tend to be. As in, not very. That seems pretty par for the course as far as adaptations go, bad ones at least.
I mean, I guess it isn't a particularly special or outstanding brand of terrible, but going in knowing the source material and what said source material is like, I was just personally really disappointed.
That's a feeling I see often and for good reason.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Gotta make sure :upsidedown:

Riiiiiight....lol

Y'know the whole book to movie thing and to a miniseries isn't really any different as far as how close to the books they tend to be. As in, not very. That seems pretty par for the course as far as adaptations go, bad ones at least.

Sadly true.

Adaptations can make some changes here and there, that's fine, or even tell a different story if they want to, but they need to have some of the most important elements kept the same. This mist is absolutely nothing like the mist in the original story, apart from it also being.......well, mist. And again, so far, it's also practically irrelevant to the stories of most of the other characters they apparently want to tell so badly, which of course doesn't help at all.

That's a feeling I see often and for good reason.
Yeah....it's safe to say we (my family and I) have given up on it at this point.

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

Riiiiiight....lol
You know I am. :p
Sadly true.

Adaptations can make some changes here and there, that's fine, or even tell a different story if they want to, but they need to have some of the most important elements kept the same. This mist is absolutely nothing like the mist in the original story, apart from it also being.......well, mist. And again, so far, it's also practically irrelevant to the stories of most of the other characters they apparently want to tell so badly, which of course doesn't help at all.
Yup, gotta stay true to the original in a significant enough fashion, something that not enough people seem to get. It's not easy adapting books to movies, but it can most certainly be done well. Problem is, books are quite different from movies and in an attempt to get that book to work as a script, it means stuff has to get cut out and that leads to the problems adaptations have. And then, there are the ones that clearly don't care about adapting the material faithfully...
Yeah....it's safe to say we (my family and I) have given up on it at this point.
Wow, that bad, huh? I guess I wouldn't blame you, I dunno, I've never read any of King's books.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I'm doing good.. Finally getting over that upper respiratory infection I had last month just occasional coughing noww..

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Yup, gotta stay true to the original in a significant enough fashion, something that not enough people seem to get. It's not easy adapting books to movies, but it can most certainly be done well. Problem is, books are quite different from movies and in an attempt to get that book to work as a script, it means stuff has to get cut out and that leads to the problems adaptations have. And then, there are the ones that clearly don't care about adapting the material faithfully...
There's always some changes in adaptations, and unfortunately time constraints alone are a common reason why some stuff may get cut. Other things may just be left out or altered for some other reason. I think a question can be raised there as to when a book would be better off being told in the form of a movie (which are usually restricted to a 2 to 3-hour length, maybe a little longer) or in the form of a TV series (which gives you much more time to tell and develop a story, but it also has to be told and directed a bit differently, being episodic rather than one big thing. The budget is also something to consider).

And yeah, the ones that don't care about faithfully adapting their source material are another problem entirely. I think those are generally even worse, since the people behind other bad or questionable adaptations usually at least try to stay faithful, even if their attempt to make a good movie out of it failed for any reason. I think that this series is a case of that. With maybe the exception of one character, it feels like they just wanted to tell the stories of all these new characters in an isolated apocalypse setting and felt that attaching a Stephen King name and setting to it would be perfect.

While few in number, there have been some adaptations that have made improvements or arguably good changes from the book(s) they were based on. Jaws is a good example of this. Most people seem to agree that the characters are highly unsympathetic in the novel, while the movie not only made them more sympathetic, but also gave them more humanity and depth. The novel also apparently had some subplots that were all but completely irrelevant to the shark terrorizing the town, which were not present in the movie.

Wow, that bad, huh? I guess I wouldn't blame you, I dunno, I've never read any of King's books.
I mean, it doesn't stand out too much as a bad thing on it's own (for those going into it not knowing anything about the source material or it as an adaptation/retelling, I could see some people enjoying it to an extent or at least not completely hating it; opinions are a thing after all) but again, we were just seriously disappointed with how unfaithful it was to the book, and we got completely bored of the new characters and their distracting and mostly irrelevant subplots very quickly.

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

There's always some changes in adaptations, and unfortunately time constraints alone are a common reason why some stuff may get cut. Other things may just be left out or altered for some other reason. I think a question can be raised there as to when a book would be better off being told in the form of a movie (which are usually restricted to a 2 to 3-hour length, maybe a little longer) or in the form of a TV series (which gives you much more time to tell and develop a story, but it also has to be told and directed a bit differently, being episodic rather than one big thing. The budget is also something to consider).

And yeah, the ones that don't care about faithfully adapting their source material are another problem entirely. I think those are generally even worse, since the people behind other bad or questionable adaptations usually at least try to stay faithful, even if their attempt to make a good movie out of it failed for any reason. I think that this series is a case of that. With maybe the exception of one character, it feels like they just wanted to tell the stories of all these new characters in an isolated apocalypse setting and felt that attaching a Stephen King name and setting to it would be perfect.

While few in number, there have been some adaptations that have made improvements or arguably good changes from the book(s) they were based on. Jaws is a good example of this. Most people seem to agree that the characters are highly unsympathetic in the novel, while the movie not only made them more sympathetic, but also gave them more humanity and depth. The novel also apparently had some subplots that were all but completely irrelevant to the shark terrorizing the town, which were not present in the movie.
I know Jurassic Park was one such film like Jaws that had a novel but I can't think of anything else.

Stephen King's name does sell apparently, so yeah, marketing and all that jazz.

As for a TV series based on a book, you could go by chapters but episodes would either need to be long or it would need to span multiple episodes depending on the chapter.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
56 Late replies.

I know Jurassic Park was one such film like Jaws that had a novel but I can't think of anything else.

Stephen King's name does sell apparently, so yeah, marketing and all that jazz.

As for a TV series based on a book, you could go by chapters but episodes would either need to be long or it would need to span multiple episodes depending on the chapter.
Yeah, there aren't many examples, but some do exist.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with that at all, because yes, King is a big time author with a ton of successful books, novels and short stories, many of which have received adaptations of varying quality (he actually adapted one of his own short stories into a movie once, and it failed so badly that he decided to never direct a film again).

Either way has the potential to work. It can be a mini-series too, those have worked out rather well for a few book adaptations, including some of King's.

Top Bottom