• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bob-omb Minutiae

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
The Bob-omb

The Bob-omb (which I will now refer to as just a bomb) is a very rare item Peach has a chance to pull. I think there's generally a very bad stigma associated with this item among Peach players. I think most of use would much rather have a stitch honestly. In a peach dittos I've had opponents throw away bombs against me on purpose in fear that something would go horribly wrong.

When pulled, bombs are usually useful for a few things:

Damage
Stage control
Confusing the opponent
Mad Styling
All of the above

The techniques I describe may be useful for all of these things but especially confusing the opponent and styling :p These techniques gain any possible use from the element of surprise. If your opponent knows what's going on, none of these tricks are going to work (probably).

First I'll describe the normal bomb.

Bob-omb (Normal)

The bomb does 35% at close range and 25% at far range. It is a good deal faster than turnips when thrown. When it hits the opponent, it explodes with a large radius that can easily hurt you along with your opponent.
Tricks

Bomb Drop:
press z. Easy way to get out a fast hit and trick your opponent.
Floating aerials: age old trick. You can do floating aerials while holding a projectile
Throw the Bomb up: camp underneath the impact zone and re-catch the bomb if your opponent doesn't approach
Getting back on stage: Peach usually has pretty bad options getting back on stage from the ledge. There are a million ways to change that with a bomb. Experiment!
Recovery: If worse comes to worst, hit yourself with a bomb in midair to recover. The easiest way to do this is drop the bomb then do a nair shortly after. You can also use up b or drop the bomb while floating and do an aerial
Q Drop: double jump cancel and hold z. You will quickly drop the bomb and sheild.

Now on to the new stuff! :)

New Bomb Tricks

If you drop a bomb while a precise distance over a platform, it will walk back and forth instead of blowing up. This trick is similar to bomb drops by Link and Young Link but the timing is a good deal more strict. Once the bomb paces back and forth on the platform for about two and a half seconds, it will become stationary and begin to flash. After about a second and a half, the bomb will explode. You can manipulate this process in many ways.

Let's break this down!

Dropping the Bomb:

A platform is the first place you'll want to try this out. Go to training mode and spawn a bomb. Either rise through the platform or fall through- when the bomb is about on the level of the ground, drop it. NOTE: The bomb can hurt you while pacing! This means that your spacing must avoid being in the path of the bomb after you drop it.

A good stage to use this on is FoD. If you drop a bomb on some platform heights, you can duck underneath and avoid attack. You can also bomb drop on Randel if you want to cover that option but I do not recommend it.

You can also do this trick without a platform on a ledge. On FD, from the ledge, with perfect timing, you can drop the bomb on the stage. It will walk across about three fourths of the stage and then explode. By staying close to the bomb, you can exercise extreme control of the stage.

You can also make the bomb walk by utilizing slanted ground. The only time slanted ground appears in legal stages are the transformations of Pokemon stadium. Simply float directly over the ground and release; before hitting the ground, press z (your back must be toward the rising slope). Quickly air dodge away or shield, if you do not, you will be hit. A good place to practice this is on the Yoshi Pipe stage. This technique is very useful because it is easy to set up and also doubles as quick shield pressure (a pacing bomb does a huge amount of shield stun).

NEW! You can also make a bomb walk without a platform, a ledge, or slanted ground! It's hard though. Jump backwards and have peach cross her arms then fast fall. Release the control stick and press z while holding down l or r. The bomb should start walking in a random direction, almost always away from you. If the bomb exploded on the ground, you were too late. If you just shielded, you were too early.

Now on to the smaller details of a pacing bomb.

Pacing Bomb:

A pacing bomb will do 25% and walk back and forth for about two and a half seconds. The bombs turning animation on a ledge takes up this time so a bomb will walk farther off a platform than on a platform. Once the bomb stops walking it will become lit. A bomb in this state deals damage to all opponents along with a large amount of sheila stun. If a bomb hits your shield twice (which happens often when a bomb walks past you), your shield will be a very small M n' M.

While walking on a platform, a pacing bomb can be pushed off using several methods. It will enter a tumbling animation and if it hits the ground it will either disappear or pause and then continue to walk back and forth on the lower level. This resets the pacing bombs timer.

NOTE: Before it starts walking again, there is a small window were the bomb can be picked up. This version of the bomb has weird properties.

There are two methods I know of to get a bomb to fall of a platform.

Toad: If you use Toad towards the edge of the platform while the bomb is walking, there's a chance it will fall off. You do this trick standing on a platform or in midair. I say there's a chance it will fall off as in I can't figure out the means to pull this off consistently. I highly doubt it's random. I similarly doubt that that the bomb disappearing when it hits the ground is random; I'm guessing it depends on execution.

You also force the bomb off the platform with a well timed shield but this is even more difficult.

Now on to the lit bomb.

Lit Bomb

Once the bomb stops pacing, it will become lit. There is about a a second and a half before it explodes. Interestingly, while it is flashing, it will not hurt you on contact. You can actually push the bomb off a platform in this state simply by walking toward it slowly.

If you grab a lit bomb, it's countdown will still continue. This means even if you don't throw it, it will explode- even if you are doing another move. To avoid being blown up, get on a ledge or air dodge or shield or roll. If you throw the bomb and the timer goes off, it will explode in midair and do 25%. This means that a well timed thrown lit bomb can beat shine or other reflectors.

Toad Bombing: Another way to avoid getting blown up by a lit bomb is by using Toad. Toad will eat the explosion and you'll be fine. But! If you use this while standing beside another player, the opponent will get huge amounts of damage, around 40%. In my experience this does more damage to floaties. It's actually one of Peach's strongest moves. Who knew?

Up-B Stalling: You know how I said the timer runs during all Peach's moves? I lied. Up B stops the timer. This means you can hold a lit bomb a very long time by spamming up b. I recommend waiting until the bomb is about to explode then up-b over and over. The other player will probably have no idea what you're doing and hit you in midair. But the bomb will instantly go off and blow up both of you. Obviously do this when the other player is in KO percent and you're not. I've actually KOed someone with this in match XD

And finally...

Strange Bomb

If you pick up a bomb after it's fallen off a platform it has strange properties. If you drop the bomb, you explode! You just explode! I don't know why this happens. Sometimes it doesn't. If you up b, it doesn't happen anymore. People need to investigate!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, so after all these years there's still stuff to be found : )

I encourage people to experiment with this stuff! It may be useless, but it's pretty cool!

This is the guide I was talking about. I did all of this on my own without tools. Enjoy! :)

January 2018 Edit: Quetzalcoatl Quetzalcoatl found a few months ago that you can push a bom-omb off a ledge by air dodging though it. I thought I should edit this post for completeness with the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9glLSf6kG0

March 2019 Edit: UnclePunch UnclePunch clarified why the bomb-omb walks the direction it walks when you drop it. If you pick up a bomb-omb up, the direction it is facing when you grabbed it, that is the direction it will walk. If you pull a bomb-omb, it will walk the direction Peach was facing when you pulled it.

Edit: Removed portion saying I don't take credit for this. Here is that portion:

Note: While I don't claim to have discovered these techniques, if they ever were discovered, they are utterly lost in time. I looked through the entire peach boards and saw no signs of any of these techniques.

Edit: notes for an overhal coming soon

Bomb paces 170 frames
Blows up after 90 (91st frame explosion)
Fused bomb not working has something to do with, you can't throw it too early in it's life time before it's red
It looks like the earliest frame that the bomb can hit shield to get the weird behavior is frame 59/60
The bomb will not hit you for 60 frames after hitting your shield
Has some weird property where it can't be powershielded
500 frames walking on ground
Some mention of pgh carrol yoshi's bomb thing

Tally
fine iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
disappears iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I need to do it more - _ -

Last edited:

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Holy **** this is cool as hell.

EDIT: Can you explain how exactly you get a bomb to become a strange bomb? Like how do you get it to fall off a platform such that you can pick it up? I want to experiment with this cause it sounds strange as heck, and that's cool, but I can't figure out how to actually do it.

EDIT 2: How the eff do you up b stall? I can get off like 1 up-b then when I land the bomb goes off. Is the idea that the oppoent will think it was just a missed input and go in right off the bat?

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
1) You need to use Toad. It takes some strange timing. When the bomb is walking toward you on the platform, you should be standing by the edge. Use Toad when it's near hitting you and when turning the bomb will fall off. You then need to get down there super fast to pick up the bomb. Experiment with the timing. I haven't figured out the best timing yet.

2) It is very important that you fast fall to land when up b stalling. If you do not fast fall, the timer will tick while you are putting away the parasol.

Edit: On FD I can get out 13 up bs with good timing

Last edited:

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
1) You need to use Toad. It takes some strange timing. When the bomb is walking toward you on the platform, you should be standing by the edge. Use Toad when it's near hitting you and when turning the bomb will fall off. You then need to get down there super fast to pick up the bomb. Experiment with the timing. I haven't figured out the best timing yet.

2) It is very important that you fast fall to land when up b stalling. If you do not fast fall, the timer will tick while you are putting away the parasol.

Edit: On FD I can get out 13 up bs with good timing
I never knew bombs are so ****ing weird. Thanks for posting this guide man, this is super cool! I really hope I get a bomb next time I go to a tourny so I can show this stuff off while no one knows about it

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
What an interesting discovery, I've played a match before where I was hit and dropped the bomb just as I was passing through the platform, it stood up, started walking and moved straight into my opponent for the KO.

Now that I know how to consistently get the bomb to walk I am excited to try it in a real game. It is so easy to simply drop through a platform and drop the bomb to get it going.

I couldn't get a midair toad to make the bomb fall off the platform, however it was relatively simple to use a standing toad as the bomb approached the edge.

ASCII diagram: _Pt__<_________

Where P is peach, t is toad and < is the approaching bomb and the underscore _ is the platform

Doing a midair dodge and catching the fallen bomb with A seemed like the easiest and safest way to make the strange bomb.

I don't know if the strange bomb is a glitch or working as intended, but somehow I get the feeling there could be something even more exploitable here. It reminds me of some of the Ness glitches.

I have been meaning to update my turnip guide as it is now nearly 9 years old, I would like to add this to the update.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
New tech. It is possible to make a bomb walk without platforms, ledges, or any other trick. Just takes good timing.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Read the post. Sorry I should have mentioned I had edited it in there

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
So from @ Quetzalcoatl Quetzalcoatl 's shocking and frankly hilarious video, you can drop the bomb as you're dropping the platform forcing it to walk, then while it's flashing you can up back up through the platform and grab with Z and it won't go off? This is awesome

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
I did this again just yesterday at another tournament and the person I was versing had seen the video I posted before (it appeared on GRSmash top 10 user submitted clips (I didn't submit it)) and they thought they could grab the bomb while it was walking and blew themselves up.

The joke in my state now is that if I get a bob-omb the other person has to avoid being on GRsmash or getting Gfycat-ed

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I definitively think us Peach mains should optimize our Bomb, Sword and Saturn game. Will read this in a few hours but posting a message in case I forget

Top Bottom