• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Board Meta Thread 2.0

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So we now have thread prefixes for this section (and most others I believe too, but they were made for here :p).
We're hoping that with the ability to click a tag and return only threads with said prefixes we can help the flow of this section for both the average, new and old posters.
Example: http://smashboards.com/forums/wii-u-3ds-competitive-discussion.509/?prefix_id=91

I'll probably look to be cleaning up the amount of stickies we have soonish (probably cutting it down to the 2 Q&As and the locked rules).

Now for the "Important" tag, I would like it to be used in this section as a way to certify a thread. The amount will probably be kept to a smallish number rotating around active discussions. Threads that will receive these will primarily be ruleset related I would assume, but thread makers should contact me about this being added.
The other tags that exist: Data, Work in Progress, Q&A will be applied to relevant threads as well, feel free to poke staff about this. Although there will be a minimum quality standard for any tags we apply!

Anywho, never a better time to open up the floor to thoughts, suggestions, comments about the competitive section in general (related to prefixes or otherwise).

Last edited:

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
Can anyone point to me recorded 3-stock matches? It's hard to find them in order to compile match data. I may just be looking in the wrong places.

I cannot, but your post doesn't have anything to do with the competitive subforum itself anyway.

Anyway based Shaya, we did it (yes WE)

Imo the IMPORTANT and OFFICIAL tag colour saturation could be toned down a bit, and DATA would look good in #00FFFF because that's been the de facto research colour on here since before 2009 but those are just minor complaints. Aside from that everythings looking good, hopefully this will streamline the forum a bit more and keep it cleaner (though the latest thread suggests otherwise).

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Thought I was going crazy all day. I make a thread in this subforum, and after it was finished, these neon tags started appearing on the pinned threads. And I was left wondering if they were always there or not.

So, only admins can put these prefixes on? What about moderators? Just curious who I should be talking to if I ever want to ask for a prefix, or edit for an existing one. Also, will these people just act as masked crusaders with secret identities when they create prefixes for other people? Surely they'd like an occasional "thank you" from the thread owners; maybe give the owners a notification when a prefix is added?

Shoutouts to whoever, slapped guide on this, by the way. Any prefix at all helps get the word out.

Regular users can add guide to their threads I'm pretty sure, and only mods and above can apply the rest of the tags.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I gotta be honest, the coloured tags look... kinda ugly. Or rather, clash with the background rather badly. I think significantly toning down the brightness of the tags would help a lot. Change it from "constant distraction" to "something we register but aren't constantly looking back at".

Also, bug the admins or whoever you need to about setting post and/date requirements to post in the competitive forums during the first 48 hours a game changing patch lands. Please.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Would my stage threads be data, guides, or neither?

Also I'll agree that the colors currently clash a bit oddly with the default background, but it's honestly hard to judge if it's the color choice or just the newness that's throwing me off.

Whoops, yeah. I was going through my threads and updating prefixes and somehow missed that one. Done.

Would my stage threads be data, guides, or neither?

Also I'll agree that the colors currently clash a bit oddly with the default background, but it's honestly hard to judge if it's the color choice or just the newness that's throwing me off.
Yup, data would be good for your stage research threads.

I gotta be honest, the coloured tags look... kinda ugly. Or rather, clash with the background rather badly. I think significantly toning down the brightness of the tags would help a lot. Change it from "constant distraction" to "something we register but aren't constantly looking back at".

Also, bug the admins or whoever you need to about setting post and/date requirements to post in the competitive forums during the first 48 hours a game changing patch lands. Please.
Now that I think about it, nasty, garish colours are probably better because then it leaves people with even less excuses when they make pointless threads. Honestly, how are you going to miss that yellow or that red?

Also setting post/date requirements for the forum just for certain time periods doesn't seem entirely feasible to me. By the time it gets implemented 24 of those 48 hours would probably have passed. If it were up to me, I'd set up a new tag, [Patch], that can only be applied by Competitive mods or super mods, and any thread with that tag auto-redirects anybody wanting to post in it for the first time to a pre-existing post

Thank you for your interest in contributing to the vX.Y.Z Community Patch Notes! However, before you do, take the time to ask yourself these questions:

• Did you test against Bowser Jr.? If you did, go back and test against another character. Bowser Jr.'s unique damage modifiers will skew results and will make attacks appear to deal more or less damage.
  • Did you test in Training mode, or Smash mode? If you tested in Smash mode, go back and test in Training mode. Smash mode's x1.05 freshness multiplier will skew results and will make attacks appear to deal more damage.
  • Did you test rage-related mechanics in Training mode, or Smash mode? If you tested in Training mode, go back and test in Smash mode. Training mode ignores rage and will skew results.
  • Did you test knockback buffs/nerfs via KO percents between a 3DS and a Wii U, with one system patched and the other unpatched? If you did, go back and test between two of the same system. The 3DS version's stages' slightly larger blastzones/Wii U version's stages' slightly smaller blastzones will skew results and will make attacks appear to KO earlier or later.
  • Is a claim you are making something that can be substantiated, or verified by either you or others, in a meaningful way? Statements such as "<character> seems better overall", or "<action> seems laggier/faster" do not fit these descriptions. Instead, rephrase it to "<action> seems faster; can anyone verify?" or "<character> seems better because <change x>, <change y>, and <change z>; can anyone verify?" Or, if you feel you can verify it for yourself, provide an explanation of your methodology, along with data supporting your claims. Do not make a claim without anything to back it up.
  • Are you simply going to make a post asking "any changes to <character>?" If so, don't, and simply keep watching the thread. That sort of post contributes nothing at all to the project.
After reviewing this checklist, go back and check your work again, and keep this in mind for any future posts you may make in this thread.
After a set amount of time, like 45 seconds to a minute, the user is allowed to go to the post creation page.

This also basically gives mod freedom to infract people who make blatantly bad posts, because then there is literally zero excuse.

I have a similar idea for "thread creation rights" in this forum; a post like the one above, but outlining possible threads they would make and where they should make them/ask instead.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I got a new prefix added. The weight of "Important" seemed too much and other prefixes available didn't really cover the topics I was looking to tag.

The new tag is "Meta". It was the best I could think up (I tried), "rule sets" or whatever didn't seem to sit right with me, and I guess it can cover more than that.
In short, this should become the most common prefix you see in this section and it'll incentivize people to use this link when accessing the board: http://smashboards.com/forums/wii-u-3ds-competitive-discussion.509/?prefix_id=95

Hopefully this change is being given enough exposure (should I be stickying or bumping this often? haha), I'm not sure if people are noticing things about it yet but hopefully those who do like it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I got a new prefix added. The weight of "Important" seemed too much and other prefixes available didn't really cover the topics I was looking to tag.

The new tag is "Meta". It was the best I could think up (I tried), "rule sets" or whatever didn't seem to sit right with me, and I guess it can cover more than that.
In short, this should become the most common prefix you see in this section and it'll incentivize people to use this link when accessing the board: http://smashboards.com/forums/wii-u-3ds-competitive-discussion.509/?prefix_id=95

Hopefully this change is being given enough exposure (should I be stickying or bumping this often? haha), I'm not sure if people are noticing things about it yet but hopefully those who do like it.
I get what you're going for, but "Meta" as a thread tag implies to me that it's about the board or forum itself, as opposed to the metagame of Smash Bros.

That said I'm not sure what a better option would be. "Gameplay"? "Competitive"? (That's already this entire subforum lol.) "Discussion"?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well "game play" doesn't cover rule sets/debates/discussions that much. And you're fair to think of Meta as about the board/forum itself (this thread's title reflects this :p) Discussion is actually pretty solid if not maybe "too large". If a lot of threads are going to have this tag and how alerts/notifications work I wouldn't want it to be an eyesore.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I like the new tags, but their colors could be better. Meta not really having an easy to see color (on default settings) is the only thing that needs fixing though. I guess Work In Progress could use some color as well. Maybe make one orange and one purple?

I know, that was to address the possible confusion between "meta" as in "metagame" or "meta" in the sense this thread uses it.

TheAnomaly

Smash Cadet
Props to the people in power for making changes for the better.
Now ass kissing aside, I have a few comments:
1) A "Required Reading" tag that is nice and shiny and should be always stickied. This would encompass forum rules, permissions to create a thread or anything else that should be known to any and all before being a member of this forum. This would make it easier for new users to quickly become competent contributors to the forums or at the very least have no excuse for being warned or banned for violating said rules.

2) The new post guidelines outlined by Indigo Jeans seem reasonable. An alternative idea would be to create a link to said post in the opening with a warning to read it first before posting. This would save anyone who already has the required knowledge about these procedures some time instead of forcefully hijacking them on their attempted post. Although a minor wait should be resonable for any such rational minded individual.

3) An "Academy" tag instead of having the posts kept in a separate sub-forum. This should make it easier to follow all relevant post about the game.

4) Some sort of global link to a guide for new users of smashboards(if such a thing exist).

Muro

Smash Lord
The colors maybe didn't have to be so bright. Also "metagame" seems like an appropriate tag.

Last edited:
I don't think Board Meta is really necessary, since this is the only thread I can see dealing woth that sort of thing.

Edit: I meant "with" obv

Last edited:
Can we make a tournament advice/experiences thread? That seems to be a subject that's been cropping up pretty often.

Top Bottom