• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blastin' Until The Cows Come Home - Earthworm Jim crawls back out of the dirt! (EWJ'S SECOND 160-page comic now on Kickstarter!)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Welcome to the new supporters! I've added you both.

Yes, I added a reference to this in his winquote against Donkey Kong. Would absolutely be part of the fun to see things come full circle and have Jim make Cranky eat those words.

Glad to have your support too, but please don't go there. I really don't care for political nonsense and don't wish this thread to get derailed.
Yes, the art has to be separated from the artist. Besides, Tennapel doesn't own the rights anymore, so it's a moot point.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Welcome to the new supporters! I've added you both.

Glad to have your support too, but please don't go there. I really don't care for political nonsense and don't wish this thread to get derailed.
Fair enough, this is the only site on the internet I visit that isn't all politics all the time now, so I wouldn't want to taint that.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Yes, I pictured Pete as an AT like that, but you don't have to attack him. You simply bump into him and he gets pushed aside or gets his foot stepped on or something and that sends him into a frenzy.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
This guys embodied the 90's pretty well, didn't he? He's got a lot of charm and personality, and plenty of unique abilities to boot. Despite being an oddball choice, he'd fit right in.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm in I also made a icon for him check my sig for the link to the list.

ClayFighter

Smash Rookie
This is my biggest hope for a future Smash character. You have my full, undying support for this cause.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Earthworm Jim is perfectly ridiculous as a character. I would love if he made it, definitely in support.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Unrelated, but i found this on Interplay website

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

You know, since Battletoads is getting a new game, I think they might be watching that game and seeing if it's successful or not. If BT 2019 turns out to do well in sales then it's very likely they're going to look at that and see about bringing Jim back.

Personally I don't think a new Jim would be the same without Doug and the rest of the team working on it, but we'll see.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, since Battletoads is getting a new game, I think they might be watching that game and seeing if it's successful or not. If BT 2019 turns out to do well in sales then it's very likely they're going to look at that and see about bringing Jim back.

Personally I don't think a new Jim would be the same without Doug and the rest of the team working on it, but we'll see.
Honestly, anything would be better than porting/remaking the first game ad nauseam at this point.

PsychoJosh

I thought of how Jim would interact with Joker and it would be really amusing seeing two characters from such vastly different design philosophies having an extended interaction.

Joker: "I can see I'm not the only one who uses toy guns. But I wouldn't be caught dead with a gun that looks as goofy as that."
Jim: "Look, pal, I don't mess around with toy guns like you - this blaster's a registered firearm in the state of Texas. We got this thing in America called the second amendment, look it up!"

Last edited:

MangoPeachey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1868-5016-7402
How have I not seen this before? I actually had no idea who Earthworm Jim was before this, and after reading all this and doing some research, I love his character. He seriously would feel right at home in smash, I can easily see him being a loved smash character. You have my full support.

PsychoJosh

How have I not seen this before? I actually had no idea who Earthworm Jim was before this, and after reading all this and doing some research, I love his character. He seriously would feel right at home in smash, I can easily see him being a loved smash character. You have my full support.
Welcome aboard!

And yeah, that's completely understandable. Like I said in the OP, an entire generation of gamers doesn't know who he is, which is really odd to me as when I was growing up he was easily one of the most popular western gaming icons. I remember being able to talk about him at school with anyone and most people would immediately know who he was thanks to his media presence. Now? He's nonexistent.

It's like if Mario just up and disappeared for 20 years. Try to imagine how that would feel if once you got older, no one knew who Super Mario was. It's freaky!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Welcome aboard!

And yeah, that's completely understandable. Like I said in the OP, an entire generation of gamers doesn't know who he is, which is really odd to me as when I was growing up he was easily one of the most popular western gaming icons. I remember being able to talk about him at school with anyone and most people would immediately know who he was thanks to his media presence. Now? He's nonexistent.

It's like if Mario just up and disappeared for 20 years. Try to imagine how that would feel if once you got older, no one knew who Super Mario was. It's freaky!
Especially considering that, as far as forgotten 90s Western mascots go, Banjo gets more support. You'd think their respective fanbases would go hand in hand in regards to mutual support. Maybe if Banjo ever gets in, this thread can get more attention afterwards.

Ah well, at least his games are still on Steam.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd love to see his accordion playing and flexing be used as a taunt.

PsychoJosh

Yes, I was gonna post about that. A while back Doug Tennapel confirmed it on his stream that he and a few other members of the original Shiny team are actually working with Sega on porting EWJ to the Genesis Mini. That was a few weeks ago, although I guess the announcement is official now. Interplay also posted about it on their social media.

Let's hope this is the beginning of his long-awaited comeback.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
It's official! Earthworm Jim is getting a new game with the old team back, AND

...It's for the Intellivision Amico?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...jim_is_coming_but_theres_a_rather_large_catch
Oh my gosh, cannot believe it he's back after 20 years. If only a fellow bear and bird will return as well...

For a console aviability, it should have gone onto PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, etc.

Also, add me as a supporter for the good ol' Jim. Literally grew with his games and cartoon series.

PsychoJosh

1556749190370.png

Well, damn. Wish on a monkey's paw and that's what you get, I guess.

Still, it's insanely cool that he's back. Guess I'm getting an Amico then, although I don't know how well it's gonna play on those silly ipod controller things.

PsychoJosh

Tallarico says the game is apparently going to make use of some unique features the Amico controller has, and they've dismissed the idea of ports, so it seems like it's a de facto exclusive right now.

On the plus side they do say the system and its games are going to be affordable. Price estimates are around the $150 range with each new game being about $8. So if you do decide to save up for one it thankfully won't take you much time.

Last edited:

jankspanky

Smash Rookie
I have to say, as a certified Earthworm Jim disciple I'm extremely disappointed.

The original team is back and this is perfect. It's harkening back to the series 2D roots which is also perfect. It sounds like the graphical artwork is going to be something to behold, perhaps we'll see something rivaling Cuphead considering how meticulous Doug is.

Not on mainstream consoles, the possibility of ports is hindered by the whack controller, and clearly this is Tallarico's attempt to leverage sales towards his new console and it feels kind of scummy. I love the guy especially as a composer, but this is just extremely transparent and disappointing. A new Earthworm Jim would have been great as something accessible for all console owners to draw in new fans, but now nobody is going to play it. And the controller looks absolutely fricking atrocious. I considered supporting the console for this game alone, but after seeing what you have to use to play it, just why?

When the console fails, they may heavily reconsider porting. Or they already expect to port it and just won't say so. I am enthusiastic about the game itself, are you kidding me Earthworm Jim 3? It's really happening? It's enough to make a Sega Genesis kid cry. I hit the ceiling when I first saw the announcement. The ressurection of this series was something I waited years for and I'll be watching their progress closely. Jim and his misadventures are very special to me and this is still huge news. But I can't help being heavily concerned at the same time.

PsychoJosh

We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. I admit I'm skeptical, but Tommy really seems to have a vision for the thing so hopefully it all goes okay. I just need to see the games before I end up committing my money to anything. EWJ is definitely a huge enough name to get me interested, and the price, if what they're saying is true, makes it just low enough to be within the impulse buy range. So I don't really know what to say. I'm ecstatic that Jim is coming back but I'll have to be cautiously optimistic for the console. If it does do well then it seems they have big plans for his return, such as cartoons and comics. Doug is even planning to do a kickstarter for his EWJ comic, which knowing how well his Bigfoot Bill crowdfunding campaign went, should put him back in the right hands.

All in all, if they can convince me the Amico is more than just an EWJ machine then I'll probably get one. Even if not, I may get one anyways, as I did end up picking up a SNES Mini just for the official release of Star Fox 2 and this console is said to be within that price range. They probably already have my dollar but they'll need to convince way more people than just me that this thing is good and worth it.

Oddball

Smash Lord
If Earthworm Jim does make it into Smash, I'd love it if his cartoon theme song became a music track, even if it's a remix of it.

Also for his Punch-Out stage title, he needs to be "Such a Groovy Guy".

PsychoJosh

I don't think they'll be using any music from the TV show, but there's already a ton of good tunes from all three games in the series to choose from, so I'd think his song list would be really fleshed out and probably one of the longer tracklists in the game.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I don't think they'll be using any music from the TV show, but there's already a ton of good tunes from all three games in the series to choose from, so I'd think his song list would be really fleshed out and probably one of the longer tracklists in the game.
I really don't think they would either, but it would be nice if they did.

PsychoJosh

AAAaaaAAAA

THIS IS SO COOL

Oh my god I'm so happy Jimmy's back Jimmy's back JIMMY'S BACK

Last edited:
Top Bottom