• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blast Processing Cinemax: Sonic Video Thread/Critique thread

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
"A certain chuckler"? What's the scuttlebutt that I'm not privy to here?

Also, +1 on not leaving us for good N810. After Wizzy left you became one of my primary sources of "how do I Sonic good?".
He means Knuckles, a lot of Sonic main are probably going to pick him up when he's available.

N810

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I very much appreciate the support on my Sonic. I've invested too much and built a name with Sonic to completely drop him. Like I said before, the goal to expand on my skillset as a player. Learning new tricks with ZSS is going to help me better my Sonic game. Thats the dream anyway. Once I'm happy with my ZSS, probably built up as a secondary, then I'll happily go back to Sonic.

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I very much appreciate the support on my Sonic. I've invested too much and built a name with Sonic to completely drop him. Like I said before, the goal to expand on my skillset as a player. Learning new tricks with ZSS is going to help me better my Sonic game. Thats the dream anyway. Once I'm happy with my ZSS, probably built up as a secondary, then I'll happily go back to Sonic.
Good to hear! Analyzing your Sonic videos has definitely helped a lot of players.

N810

Smash Cadet
Things are about to get personal! I was kinda hesitate to release these but you guys have been so supportive of me and my Sonic, I trust you'll enjoy these vids. Prepare to see more sides of me then you ever thought possible.

Vs. Lucas(HF Neon) https://youtu.be/NZYxpo600g0 He and I were super drunk(me mostly) and we started playing some friendlies together. When he switch to Lucas, Wolf previously, my streamer started to record because he's a huge fan of the Lucas.

Vs. Ness https://youtu.be/ZxBkRKDZIUA Half way through we decided to make a bet...

Vs. Luigi https://youtu.be/BMZZo0wMG0M

Vs. Zelda/Link https://youtu.be/YXNy7xhYZlY

Vs. Fox https://youtu.be/yevbdHzZ3Js

Vs. Wolf https://youtu.be/o1IRQ5uIyRY I had challenge Neon to a MM during the tourney because I was on fire, but then by the time we played(30min after the tourney ended) the fire went out. I hate to john about it, but I felt it during the first match and was disappointed in myself.

Last edited:

Krumpberry

Banned via Warnings
Dude, your Sonic's so fun to watch. You got a nice punish game. And I never thought of dthrow to downb before. Seems like it'd cover a lot of options except for tech in or spot dodge.

I noticed though that you did it a lot and Medz, Neon, and Ic3 started picking up on it and opting to tech in or spotdodge (or even shine). I also noticed you never jump cancel your grabs and do a dash grab instead. There's no reason to ever dash grab as Sonic though since the incredibly small boost in grab range doesn't make up for the years of end lag. Plus, you miss out on grab out of sideb which is amaaaaaaaaaaazing.

KiteAF

Smash Rookie
Dude, your Sonic's so fun to watch. You got a nice punish game. And I never thought of dthrow to downb before. Seems like it'd cover a lot of options except for tech in or spot dodge.

I noticed though that you did it a lot and Medz, Neon, and Ic3 started picking up on it and opting to tech in or spotdodge (or even shine). I also noticed you never jump cancel your grabs and do a dash grab instead. There's no reason to ever dash grab as Sonic though since the incredibly small boost in grab range doesn't make up for the years of end lag. Plus, you miss out on grab out of sideb which is amaaaaaaaaaaazing.
Jump cancelled grab actually goes farther in addition to having less endlag. Sonic slides ridiculously far, and it's also the only way to chaingrab fastfallers at low percents.

Last edited:

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Things are about to get personal! I was kinda hesitate to release these but you guys have been so supportive of me and my Sonic, I trust you'll enjoy these vids. Prepare to see more sides of me then you ever thought possible.

Vs. Lucas(HF Neon) https://youtu.be/NZYxpo600g0 He and I were super drunk(me mostly) and we started playing some friendlies together. When he switch to Lucas, Wolf previously, my streamer started to record because he's a huge fan of the Lucas.

Vs. Ness https://youtu.be/ZxBkRKDZIUA Half way through we decided to make a bet...

Vs. Luigi https://youtu.be/BMZZo0wMG0M

Vs. Zelda/Link https://youtu.be/YXNy7xhYZlY

Vs. Fox https://youtu.be/yevbdHzZ3Js

Vs. Wolf https://youtu.be/o1IRQ5uIyRY I had challenge Neon to a MM during the tourney because I was on fire, but then by the time we played(30min after the tourney ended) the fire went out. I hate to john about it, but I felt it during the first match and was disappointed in myself.
Still watching through and will probably have more followup comments/questions, but had to ask while I had it in mind; What happened here: https://youtu.be/NZYxpo600g0?t=225. It looked like you somehow canceled your down smash with a jab? Or did you guys trade and somehow the hitlag was small enough that you threw out a jab to be safe?

Edit: Also, that money match against Neon. That one that you took, that was such a nail-biter at the end where you were both falling and it was just a game of "who's gonna fall off the bottom first". So good.

Last edited:

N810

Smash Cadet

Thanks dude! I try not to abusive the DownThrow to DownB because it is easy to pick up on and if your not on point then you can waste your position on a better option. As for the JumpCancelGrab...I actually don't know how to do them. Haha, I've done them by accident but I really don't know how to input it. I've been taught how but I can't perform it. Maybe my fingers ain't fast enough. I'll look up some vids on it because it is a trademark for Sonic.

Still watching through and will probably have more followup comments/questions, but had to ask while I had it in mind; What happened here: https://youtu.be/NZYxpo600g0?t=225. It looked like you somehow canceled your down smash with a jab? Or did you guys trade and somehow the hitlag was small enough that you threw out a jab to be safe?

Edit: Also, that money match against Neon. That one that you took, that was such a nail-biter at the end where you were both falling and it was just a game of "who's gonna fall off the bottom first". So good.

I think what Krumpberry said earlier. Lucas traded with my DownSmash but with the unique UpB Lucas has(tiny multi-hits) it allowed me to just go into a jab super quick. Nothing special. And thank you for the money match comment. That's the only reason why that vid is worth watching.

Last edited:

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Thanks dude! I try not to abusive the DownThrow to DownB because it is easy to pick up on and if your not on point then you can waste your position on a better option. As for the JumpCancelGrab...I actually don't know how to do them. Haha, I've done them by accident but I really don't know how to input it. I've been taught how but I can't perform it. Maybe my fingers ain't fast enough. I'll look up some vids on it because it is a trademark for Sonic.
Maybe helpful, maybe not. I find it easiest to do by jumping with X and then rolling my thumb to A (while pressing shield). Something about getting the timing down of "how fast to roll my thumb" felt a lot easier to get used to. It's gotten to the point where I almost just do that out of habit now even if I'm just standing still or going for an ordinary walk-up grab.

And yeah, it's so so so well worth the effort to get it down. I over-abuse the ever lovingly daylights out of side-b -> JC grab (very likely to a fault).

stop68

Smash Rookie
Why does it seem like they are no new matches for sonic marth? Also hey guys im pretty new to sonic and all help is appreciated

Nevermind

Smash Cadet
Why does it seem like they are no new matches for sonic marth? Also hey guys im pretty new to sonic and all help is appreciated
Not new, but the first video is against a high-level player and the second is against a typical round-one opponent.

Vs. Drugged Fox: The neutral game in this match is pretty cool. Karma starts the game off by rushing DF down and establishing the threat of Sonic's speed. After the first bit of punishing is done, she takes advantage of this by simply DD'ing at a very safe distance in front of him waiting for him to make a move out of fear. You'll find that this is the case in most matches where the opponent has no real way of forcing you to approach - Sonic is threatening even when he's doing nothing, meaning that he's more than happy to wait it out (contrast this with a character like Ganon who's primary goal in neutral is to not play neutral at all).

Vs. Kalcium: This is basically a how-to on punishing Marth. Notice how freely Karma is allowed to move and how unmanageable the pace of the match becomes for Kalcium because of this. Rule #1 against Marth with any character is don't get cornered, and this is doubly true as Sonic. Giving up stage control for free (e.g. resetting to neutral when the opponent recovers to the ledge) is one the more common mistakes that new players make. Ending that habit will definitely help to improve your game quickly.

Also: both @Karma! and Star ☆ Star ☆ are super helpful and willing to work with new players, so go bug them if you haven't already.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I should be getting some footage up soon from my first PM tournament in six months. I went back to Ottawa for school and suddenly there's a scene nearby in Stittsville; I'm gonna try and help the scene pick up in Ottawa too. Placed horribly in bracket (super rusty, haven't played smash for a month) but okay in doubles (after I'd warmed up); I'll upload friendlies and doubles sets as soon as they're available.

Here's a friendly set versus the local MK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftBg2IWh7GE
And another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0RQtlzpoH4

I know I did a lot of things wrong like nairing into him, not BAing enough in punish situations and not using enough dair in general but I think I was okay-ish for not playing in forever.

Last edited:

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Finally got a match on the stream setup at Smashing Grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilmpxLaVElA

My own post-game thoughts:
1) I spin an awful lot, should start doing more dash dancing instead.
2) I gotta learn the matchups better. The number of easy punishes/dropped combos I had due to just not understanding Zelda was maximally frustrating
3) Don't SD

Any other thoughts? I'd love to hear any feedback.

Also, I've started playing quite a bit on netplay and recording the matches doesn't seem to impact lag or anything. Would there be any interest in me more regularly uploading these?

Edit: changing out link for the youtube cut of just the 1 match

Last edited:

N810

Smash Cadet
Finally got a match on the stream setup at Smashing Grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilmpxLaVElA

My own post-game thoughts:
1) I spin an awful lot, should start doing more dash dancing instead.
2) I gotta learn the matchups better. The number of easy punishes/dropped combos I had due to just not understanding Zelda was maximally frustrating
3) Don't SD

Any other thoughts? I'd love to hear any feedback.

Also, I've started playing quite a bit on netplay and recording the matches doesn't seem to impact lag or anything. Would there be any interest in me more regularly uploading these?

Edit: changing out link for the youtube cut of just the 1 match
Game 1:
  • Nice follow up at 1:28. I like to do that stuff too.
  • I don't see you sweet-spotting the ledge. That's huge for Sonic because he has a stronger vertical recovery.
Game 2:
  • The commentator was right at 5:58; a second N-Air would have been a better choice. Zelda was in the right position for the N-Air's sweet-spot. That would have been nice damage and knock-back on Zelda.
  • Very nice F-Smash at 6:35. Good guard.
  • 6:50; I don't know why you did a back throw. I'm going to assume you thought you could go past Din's Fire.
  • 8:07; At that position I would have wall jumped off the stage then Side-B over Din's Fire.

Rough set dude. My advice on the Zelda match-ups is waiting and patience is key. If you go rushing in like you were then Zelda will win the trades(in my experience). With Jab, F-Smash and the F-Air/B-Air being the nastiest, Zelda has very good horizontal based attacks and that's very good for Sonic. Go in when its safe like after Zelda does a Neutral-B, Side-S, etc, because she does have some lag after her moves. Capitalize on that. Like I said before, I saw you chasing after her and getting little to nothing off of it. I think you sadly SD'd on Game2 because of that. Hope this helps and if you have any follow-up question then please post!

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Game 1:
  • Nice follow up at 1:28. I like to do that stuff too.
  • I don't see you sweet-spotting the ledge. That's huge for Sonic because he has a stronger vertical recovery.
Game 2:
  • The commentator was right at 5:58; a second N-Air would have been a better choice. Zelda was in the right position for the N-Air's sweet-spot. That would have been nice damage and knock-back on Zelda.
  • Very nice F-Smash at 6:35. Good guard.
  • 6:50; I don't know why you did a back throw. I'm going to assume you thought you could go past Din's Fire.
  • 8:07; At that position I would have wall jumped off the stage then Side-B over Din's Fire.

Rough set dude. My advice on the Zelda match-ups is waiting and patience is key. If you go rushing in like you were then Zelda will win the trades(in my experience). With Jab, F-Smash and the F-Air/B-Air being the nastiest, Zelda has very good horizontal based attacks and that's very good for Sonic. Go in when its safe like after Zelda does a Neutral-B, Side-S, etc, because she does have some lag after her moves. Capitalize on that. Like I said before, I saw you chasing after her and getting little to nothing off of it. I think you sadly SD'd on Game2 because of that. Hope this helps and if you have any follow-up question then please post!
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I've heard "sweet spot" more than once at this point. I have a really hard time with it due to Sonic's crazy high vertical recovery. Knowing when to up-b is really tough for me on certain stages and the number of times that I do it too late and SD is high enough to scare me away from attempting the sweet spot more often than not. Gotta work on that spacing I guess.

Everything else makes sense. And for that one f-smash ledge-guard I had like 4 where Zelda just teleported above me lol. I have no idea how to deal with that teleport. It feels weird to be Sonic and not know where I should run to. Every other cast member I feel like I can be where I need to be any time I want, then Zelda comes along and it's like "F-bomb, now I need to learn how to get reads"

N810

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I've heard "sweet spot" more than once at this point. I have a really hard time with it due to Sonic's crazy high vertical recovery. Knowing when to up-b is really tough for me on certain stages and the number of times that I do it too late and SD is high enough to scare me away from attempting the sweet spot more often than not. Gotta work on that spacing I guess.

Everything else makes sense. And for that one f-smash ledge-guard I had like 4 where Zelda just teleported above me lol. I have no idea how to deal with that teleport. It feels weird to be Sonic and not know where I should run to. Every other cast member I feel like I can be where I need to be any time I want, then Zelda comes along and it's like "F-bomb, now I need to learn how to get reads"

It can get a little tricky but I'd just do some solo practice. Just practice sweet-spotting the edge. Takes a few tries but it'll pay off in the long run.

N810

Smash Cadet
Here are the last of my videos. It pains me to watch these because this is the period when I'm just in a very negative mindset about myself and smash in general. Of course, if these videos help you or you have some advice please reply or send me a message. Thank you.

Edit: So I have way too many vids to post and I don't want to flood the page with them. So here's one vid linked to the playlist I keep for my recorded matches. From this video, just keep going to the next/latest and you'll see my progress(or lack of). Anyway, enjoy.

https://youtu.be/ED5xsNLCyAo?list=PLnKtI3evgvZ2tt2EWeXmQwAWpqieSYUw3

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Here are the last of my videos. It pains me to watch these because this is the period when I'm just in a very negative mindset about myself and smash in general. Of course, if these videos help you or you have some advice please reply or send me a message. Thank you.

Edit: So I have way too many vids to post and I don't want to flood the page with them. So here's one vid linked to the playlist I keep for my recorded matches. From this video, just keep going to the next/latest and you'll see my progress(or lack of). Anyway, enjoy.

https://youtu.be/ED5xsNLCyAo?list=PLnKtI3evgvZ2tt2EWeXmQwAWpqieSYUw3
Still watching, but just a quick reply.
I love watching your Sonic. He's so aggressive and in your face. Almost like a faster more slippery CFalcon or something. Two things in particular that I saw you do that I wanna start incorporating into my games: that dair -> nair for safer recovering from high was pretty sweet. Also that side b -> SH -> down-b charge at one point was super heavy shield pressure and looked really cool.

Only thing I noticed is dang do you go for the hard read f-smash a lot. It pays off some times but wow. I should probably f-smash more though so take that with a grain of salt.

N810

Smash Cadet
Still watching, but just a quick reply.
I love watching your Sonic. He's so aggressive and in your face. Almost like a faster more slippery CFalcon or something. Two things in particular that I saw you do that I wanna start incorporating into my games: that dair -> nair for safer recovering from high was pretty sweet. Also that side b -> SH -> down-b charge at one point was super heavy shield pressure and looked really cool.

Only thing I noticed is dang do you go for the hard read f-smash a lot. It pays off some times but wow. I should probably f-smash more though so take that with a grain of salt.
The Side-B to SH to Down-B is almost my signature move. Everyone who sees it loves it. I do F-Smash a lot and I tell people not to follow my example, haha! It's too risky sometimes!

N810

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone! Great news! Due to my performance at the recently AZ tourney Rewired and 3.5-3.6 Project M era, AZ has finally accepted me and made me PR! Number 10(appropriate given my handle). Just a small step into putting myself as one of the better Sonic's in the west. Lastly, here are my Rewired vids. Hope you enjoy and help!

Doubles:
Vs. Link and Samus Teammate: Kirby
https://youtu.be/WxoA1IhD07I

Singles:
Vs. ToonLink/Link(Tristan's Rule)
https://youtu.be/i3skssCC4Io

Vs. Mewtwo(Casino Wolf)
https://youtu.be/qV_5KZOJKyQ

Vs. Wolf(Filthy Casual)
https://youtu.be/IP-oZBXvBrE

Krumpberry

Banned via Warnings

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I'm uploading VoDs from two entire tournaments over the next few days. Should have at least 10ish Sonic videos for you guys to dig your teeth into. :)

N810

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, finally got some recorded matches. I played Sonic mostly, but there were two matches where I just went Charizard for some dumb reason. Imma stick to Sonic from now on and was looking for some critique. A few things I noticed about my play is that I need to work on my dash dance, my punishes, and stop SDing so much. Thanks.

Vs. DK & Yoshi
http://www.twitch.tv/smashcityto/v/27520557?t=00h58m04s

Vs. Falcon
http://www.twitch.tv/smashcityto/v/27520557?t=02h08m38s

So Twitch isn't giving me the best quality and keeps freezing. If you have these vids on YouTube then I can judge your Sonic properly. Otherwise, here are some quick tips on the characters you fought.

For DK, I feel that he is one of the best in the cast to wall out Sonic. I've almost lost to bad/decent DK's because playing auto-pilot just won't do it. At least for me. You can't give him much space between you two. His moves are quicker then you think and unless your smart about sweet-spotting, DK can keep you off the stage for a good amount of time while racking up damage. Especially the B-Air. So stay on him like a bad case of fleas and you should be fine. When he is off stage trying to get back, D-Air will do the trick to keep him away.

For Yoshi, I can't really say much due to inexperience with the match-up. But from the three I've fought, I never thought it was a difficult battle. Choose the air attacks carefully and force him off stage as much as possible. When he is using double jump just reply back with the B-Air. Sonic's B-Air(at enough percent) will cancel out that armor.

And lastly for C.Falcon, if you can edge-guard well, he should never come back on the stage. Tilts is all you need, nothing else fancy.

I want to stop there because as I said before, I rather judge your play then give you match-up tips. I'll try watching it again later but twitch just wasn't playing well for me.

Aww man, real bummer to Game 3. I know that feeling all to well. I think Ness has an edge over Sonic because of the PK Fire and B-Air being super annoying. I liked how you would approach him from the air rather than just running straight at him. Don't go out there with Ness is trying to recover back because most often then not, Ness's can't sweet-spot the ledge and you can get a free punish. Although you hit him most of the time, you also missed some easy punishes. You had great movement in Game 2 and it's a shame that you lost the momentum in the finally game. Other-wise, judging by Game 2, you should have won the set.

N810

Smash Cadet
Here are my videos from last week. Again, I'm trying to regain my passion for this game. I want to finish the year strong and bring hype for this community. But re-watching some of these matches, man, I can see how much I'm not caring about my play. Regardless, questions and advice is welcomed as always. Again, I'm going to try to post these vids every sunday so I'm not flooding this thread with my Sonic only. I would hate that, haha.

Last week:
Vs. Ivy(Ark) [Out of state player and 7 on their PR]
https://youtu.be/En_S4vzZT3E
Vs. Wario(Rev)
https://youtu.be/01X0KySVyKo
Vs. Samus(AppleSmaush) [AZ PR 9]
https://youtu.be/ZBuoaCgbzXM
Vs. Squirtle(Cloudburst) [AZ PR 7]
https://youtu.be/k3wgnFbhoQw
Vs. Wolf(Oksas)
https://youtu.be/MCeBjLL7S2E
Vs. Sheik(ForteFreak) [AZ PR 6]
https://youtu.be/wIcyePFAxPI

Last edited:

N810

Smash Cadet
A little late from my due date but here are my videos from the past two weeks. CZPM38 is hopefully the last tourney where I had that "I don't care" mentality. BF4 is the best I've played in a long time. I feel.

CZPM38:

VS Lucas(Josa) - https://youtu.be/WmDvgoloVwU
VS Lucas(HF Neon) [AZ PR 3] - https://youtu.be/DhMCxDtqgds
VS Snake(Yink) - https://youtu.be/5-zj4fke_VY

BF4:

VS Ness(N8Senpai) - https://youtu.be/0wnRVU0tG60
VS Fox(Medz) - https://youtu.be/7KGN2lD43XI
Vs Samus(Taj) - https://youtu.be/TdR6-os9ZUo
Vs Marth/Samus(Taj) [Run-back] - https://youtu.be/ExNNNx8oX3o
Vs Bowser(JamieHR) - https://youtu.be/zJlf7E0ZOq4

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I've been watching through some of your videos N810 N810 and you performed great at BF4. I'll see if I can rustle together some analysis notes in the next couple of days.

GabPR

Smash Lord

Duum

Smash Rookie
Vids from this week's Versus tournament. My first time playing in the US.

Vs Noghrilla (DK) Winners Quarters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F02f-X5o9hM
Vs Jfyst (Sonic) Winners Semis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iSEUbkiQeA
Vs Hero of time Winners Finals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzyAqDl9JAY
vs ^^ ^^ Grand Finals set 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIAsY4U8hCI
vs ^^ ^^ Grand Finals set 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4r2yrvR48
How did you do those dair combos so consistently? Does it work this well for most characters, or was Hero of Time diing incorrectly for the most part

GabPR

Smash Lord
How did you do those dair combos so consistently? Does it work this well for most characters, or was Hero of Time diing incorrectly for the most part
From my experience with the string as of yet, anyone in Link's weight class is doomed to be followed up by a dair after an upthrow until extremely high percents (which is should not happen if the dair continuations are done correctly), so doing DI offstage can mean just being insta killed. Imo he should've done what Noghrilla did and Di'd inwards, even though that still gets a dair continuation or something like a nair or blast attack string that can still kill,there is more of a chance the player will mess up or not do/know the optimal punish like I did (up air to kill dk was a terrible idea on my part). Its better than losing the stock guarenteed by doing DI offstage. In terms of consistency, dair strings have been my bnb for about more than a year now, So I have had time to get a hang of when I can go for it, how to get there and how to follow up. While my follow ups where not on point during many occasions and I did mess up sometimes, I still managed to get decent enough punishes to bring myself ahead thanks to my practice.

Duum

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the response. Definitely gonna watch your videos for more sonic tips. Another thing I realized when watching is that you rarely use blast attack, or side-b into blast attack? Is there a reason? It's something that the socal Sonics, Aion and Zenokidz do a lot and it seems like a hit confirm move

GabPR

Smash Lord
Thanks for the response. Definitely gonna watch your videos for more sonic tips. Another thing I realized when watching is that you rarely use blast attack, or side-b into blast attack? Is there a reason? It's something that the socal Sonics, Aion and Zenokidz do a lot and it seems like a hit confirm move
Simple, I was not feeling it. Blast attack can lead to great kill confirms and combo extensions, but after a few blast attack flubs vs Noghrilla I realized I was not being consistent enough with them, so I played it safe and opted for a much safer combo game.. Once im confident enough and practice them more though... I expect to have a much more consistent and optimal blast attack usage.

Top Bottom