• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blackpanther Wants To Host A Tourney! (check Thread Now!!!)

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
So like ever since I moved in downtown I've been wanting to host a tournament but never had the time especially since I never had saturdays off, but now I do and I want to host one. There are a few problems though, before I go into detail, heres the venue I would be hosting in.

Since this is in the same building I live in there's no venue fee, but there's no free parking since it's downtown. There are a few parking garages around so you would have to pay for parking but that's it though so that's the first problem.

Second problem is that I've never hosted a tourney before so I'm not sure how many people would fit comfortable in the room so I can make like a cap off or somethin so if someone could let me know about that, that would be cool.

Last problem; There's Genesis and SMYM and I don't know of any big tourneys happening in the Midwest or other regions but I don't want to host this during a time of the big ones so I don't know when I should set a date.

Anyways if you guys have any other issues to point out, please blurt them out. Help a brotha out because I want to get more activity around here so when I get enough info I'll make an actual thread with date and rules and ****.

Your loveable, technical black guy, Rashad (a.k.a. BlackPanther)

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I'd say at least 30-40 people IMO...only because there probably isn't too many chairs and iirc, there wasn't too many outlets around the room. Still, not bad at all.

studly

Smash Ace
this tournament will kick *** man.. besides the date getting set i think u should be good... finding parking wasnt honestly that hard... but there was an event at the civic center which made that just a little bit complicated... i think those are the only major issues

and that desk clerk who kecpt staring at me

Vro

Smash Lord
hey blackpanther, good to hear you want to run a tourney. since it is where you live, i don't suggest going way too crazy the first time. have a smashfest there before you ask anyone to bring money or travel very far before anything unaccounted for happens. the pictures make the place look huge, but remember that a desk and 2 (4) chairs can take up space pretty fast. make sure you have enough outlets/power strips, setups, and demand. haha, if you host, they will come, but don't expect more than you can handle. what's the address, btw? i'd be interested.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
he's already had a smashfest there.

Btw, getting setups could be a problem too - like lack of TVs and GCs. Yea, hopefully this'll be good. Date would be good during weekends or a friday for me.

Name = Twin Tower Rumble?

I'd take a picture of the place too. Like the building and such

50 ppl should be able to fit with the setups.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Well I hosted a smashfest there before actually but luckily everyone was able to park for free, I think. I also figured that people know me well enough that I'm a decent player and I know how a tourney is ran. Plus I'm good at rearranging so I would be able to get the most out of that room but I was just wanting to see what people thought and how many they thought i could get in there. Anyways more input please and I'm happy to know that you would be willing to come down here Vro just need some more peeps to agree same with you Luke =).

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
We are NOT calling this BWTHAT! There needs to be a whole new thread made called Twin Tower Rumble, July/August/who gives a crap and there has to be a perfectly edited photo of the twin towers being both knee'd by Falcon and shined by Fox. We already talked this over and it needs to be done.

Oh yeah, btw Josh, that was a pretty top tier bump you did right thar pal.

Peoria crew bringing 3 people for definite if this **** goes down man, could be like 5 if we're lucky and these two other scrubs I've been talking to actually begin to give a crap about Melee/Smash in general. Yeah....that's how you bump a thread. Or just say bump and leave it at that, n1bl37.

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
We are NOT calling this BWTHAT! There needs to be a whole new thread made called Twin Tower Rumble, July/August/who gives a crap and there has to be a perfectly edited photo of the twin towers being both knee'd by Falcon and shined by Fox. We already talked this over and it needs to be done.

Oh yeah, btw Josh, that was a pretty top tier bump you did right thar pal.

Peoria crew bringing 3 people for definite if this **** goes down man, could be like 5 if we're lucky and these two other scrubs I've been talking to actually begin to give a crap about Melee/Smash in general. Yeah....that's how you bump a thread. Or just say bump and leave it at that, n1bl37.
Not sure if a picture of twin towers being destroyed is such a good thing to have this century.
And you don't gotta make a new thread, he can just rename it.
And I'm gonna agree with Luke.
....And I am NOT I repeat am NOT wearing deoderante ;-)

Dart

Smash Lord
oh **** looks like the sandbags are coming off! where you at MW?! this **** is for real! i wanna see some good stuff at this thing...that is when it happens ;P

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
You know Josh...you totally used the sandbag thing wrong. When people say you're sandbagging that means you're literally the sandbag character and you only move but do nothing, LOL gg.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
****! I'm grounded and my melee disk broke in half T.T

But, i've become a Journeyman.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
LOL "but i've become a journeyman"
hahahahaha
so rashad make a new thread with the tourny info and let's see how it goes

FatJackieChan

Smash Journeyman
Is there a date for this yet? We also need adress information. I want to go, but unless there is a date and adress I know that I can't go. I would go for a Saturday like you said.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Well that's the thing I was wanting to get peoples input on dates because I don't want to set it close to a big tourney I guess I can just make one and see what people say about the date that I set and narrow it down from there maybe?

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I wouldn't worry too much on setting it on a date near Genesis, or even on that date for that matter. I doubt there's too many people from the Midwest going all the way to Cali and would rather stick around for a more local tourney, if that makes any sense. Then again, I could be completely wrong, I just know I wouldn't go out that far even if it is going to be an insane tournament unless I was rich/good, which I'm neither atm lol.

_kSo_

Smash Master
There is a chicago tournament this weekend that Vro is hosting and a Purdue tournament that me and ckit are hosting. If you stop by either of those, you can get more word of mouth hype (which is much more effective than posting on the boards). That way, you can also show people how awesome of a person you are and make them want to come to your tournament. Honestly, that's how I do it :p

Best of luck. Once you get a date, hopefully i'll be able to make it, but it may be unlikely due to my 2 week rendezvous on the Asian side of the world. :p

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Yeah that's pretty sweet. Well alright, I'll check for available times to rent out that room and try not to interfere with other scheduled tourney dates.

And I'll be makin another thread when I do that.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I'll DEFINITELY show up considering champaign and chicago is coming, and considering peoria rules (the crew at least)

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Well the Shoelace Express is always available...if you don't want to take that then I'd suggest talking to the Chicago crew and see if you could carpool I guess? Not much else you could do I don't think, but maybe you could find a bus coming down here somehow lol, I don't know how buses work though so I may be wrong xD.

Meneks

Smash Lord
The thing about carpooling is I have my own time in which i want to leave and not everyone else shares that same time. On the other hand
public transport has different time schedules that display incoming and outgoing buses/trains that would probably show a time reasonable for me to choose my time for departure.

I didn't think i had to get into specifics but god ****.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
As a TO I'll give some advice about picking a date.

Just have the title of the thread have something like "July 18th or 25th????" next to the name.

I find it's easier if you pick a date then wait for people to complain about the date, than waiting for people to say when they can't/can go.

Looks like a great venue, sorry I'm a state over.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
Well the Shoelace Express is always available...if you don't want to take that then I'd suggest talking to the Chicago crew and see if you could carpool I guess? Not much else you could do I don't think, but maybe you could find a bus coming down here somehow lol, I don't know how buses work though so I may be wrong xD.
Shoelace Express LOL. u could always hitch hike.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
Still need info on getting to peoria..
what u mean, like directions to there? Mapquest.

If by train, look up Peoria RailROads or something on google, i saw a site for it somewhere.

^.^.^ Not much help lol

Top Bottom