• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Black Mage for Smash!

A Bowl Of Cereal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5100-4725-9235
Ohaider thanks for reading in advance please do drop a comment if you can feedback helps a lot good or bad I just want to hear from the people that do look at what I’ve done. I'm adding a Petition at Change.org here share it if you want it will help but I'm not bumping it everyday like they want me to: https://www.change.org/Black-Mage-for-Smash

First the Supporters

3DSNinja 3DSNinja

Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6

Blankiturayman Blankiturayman

Sephrenea

Geno Boost

Black Mage is my favorite character of all time from what used to be my favorite franchise I have no clue why he isn’t in Smash yet based on just how strong Final Fantasy was back then. I made a full move set and new design for him a long time ago just to show how serious I am but popularity has been very difficult. I’ve tried everywhere and everything I have to continue trying though I just need him to have a legitimate chance and my mind will finally be at peace cause this project I made cursed me with severe Insomnia. I know this is the cause as soon as I started I noticed I was staying up all night and I’m at the point now I just might not be able to sleep at all anymore I’m at the max for sleeping medication and I barely feel it any more I may not wakeup again Doctors say it’s mental there’s no medicine for this I have to break it myself. Even if you don’t care can you help me think of ideas of how to advertise something like this? Newsletters like Kotaku never responded and Nintendo doesn’t take fan feedback for some reason we are the consumers I don’t know why their like this. I’m not even a writer I made many characters other than Black Mage if any of you want to see them just ask.

It is hard to advertise something like this to people without an imagination I even made comparisons of existing moves to try and make it easier to comprehend. If it was legit anything else wouldn’t be so hard to do. Basically he’s going to be a reverse Little Mac. Weak physical attacks ground and air since he is a Magician while his spells (Special Moves) are extremely powerful but he has high casting time must have distance to try and attempt casting a spell especially in 1v1 battles the kit I gave him is based on what he’s good at Multi Target in this case Free for Alls. I am a casual player combos didn’t really occur to me not that I think Mages should even have combos though the Devs should figure it out.

Front

Back

Hopefully the images aren't as big as it looks for me when posting this not sure how to resize just try and open in new tab to see the whole image. When I was making him Ultimate did not exist so I have Custom moves that aren’t clones and Held Moves like Ryu had in there everyone should have them honestly and could get rid of clones entirely. Skip to Special Moves the stuff before them are detail work I am sorry but non members automatically get the dark theme which is hard to read I know.

Move set Here: https://www.destructoid.com/--552675.phtml

My favorite in the series is Final Fantasy 5 the soundtracks entirety cannot be beat there’s not a song I dislike or just sounds generic at all most of them don’t loop either their legit 2 minutes long. It has so much utter game play and freedom over every other game in the series between Class types and fusion of classes you can literally make a team to counter a specific boss or challenge yourself with a disadvantage group. This is also the hardest Final Fantasy to me throughout the entire game except the final boss he was easy for me beat him on my first try I was only like level 45 or something when I entered the final area. Just regular battles and Bosses have no mercy in this game everything is a threat. This is the only game to consistently use traps and pitfalls since the first game in dungeons. There was one dungeon they experimented with no random encounters and had enemies roaming around the place think the dungeon you only had 3 for and Bahamut flew off of it.

It might sound like I’m rambling and ranting that’s probably the same meaning but different words actually but please hear me out.

First of all he is not evil. He is a Warrior of Light just cause he’s called Black Mage doesn’t make him evil. He is the Master of Elements uses Offensive and Debuff Magic while White Mage is the opposite of him. Every time I see something fan made of him he’s always the bad guy just cause he’s a Black Mage wonder why..? I did do White Mage as well but want to focus on my all time favorite character here Cloud was a slap to the face Black Mage was here from the very beginning their mascot while the game 7 years later Cloud not on a Nintendo console gets in why? Cloud is in one game Black Mage is in basically every single Final Fantasy even spinoffs he’s been in Mario games before as well. Cloud is the first character ever in Smash to not be from an original game. Another thing is they say because he’s not a true “Character” since he doesn’t speak has no personality excuse me but isn’t characters like um… Mario, Link and Kirby in Smash? Write off all the Pokemon if that’s the case. Then we have those completely made up like Captain Falcon, Star Fox, Wolf, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B and just Wii Fit Trainer. Other than Fox and Falco who voted for any of those characters or even thought they could be anything more than an Assist Trophy? Smash needs a True Magician without a sword or something else with a true weakness please no ammo like Robin or randomness like Hero have thank you.

To whoever says he is just a stereotype Elemental Magic user is wrong I guess they forgot that he has a whole bunch of debuffs and spells like Gravity. Give me a reason how Ness his replacement to me gets in over Black Mage? You never see them make any animations only flashes on the screen and the whole game is basically text to know what’s going on at least in Final Fantasy you can see on screen what’s happening and know what’s going on the game is much harder as well cause health doesn’t scroll down slowly but not as cryptic even though I get lost anyways. Could be copyright but I have no clue how they made a move set for a character in a game that’s all text over one that does have animations. That text box was the hardest enemy in that game to me

I am not knocking Earthbound/Mother but Final Fantasy was here first, the franchise was more well known giving it Pedigree and kept going while they only have 3 games but Final Fantasy evolved into a completely different game so I don’t follow it anymore. There are characters in Smash that are worse though moves they never used before or wasn’t even a character in the first place it’s just not fair but then Cloud gets put in and I don’t know what to say. I don’t know why he’s so popular either.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got the okay from the person who made the original thread for this to be the new thread for the character, so while I can't merge the two together (since you don't have any posts from before July 2018), they said that this could be the new Black Mage thread.

A Bowl Of Cereal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5100-4725-9235
I got the okay from the person who made the original thread for this to be the new thread for the character, so while I can't merge the two together (since you don't have any posts from before July 2018), they said that this could be the new Black Mage thread.
Alright but are you able to move the supporters here or not? The original thread including the creator would of been 9 I would be the 10th. If not I guess I can contact them again and see if they will support again though.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I didn't post on the original thread, but I support! I always figured the Black Mage would be perfect for a classic FF character, and since we now have Cloud, he'd fit right in, should we ever get a second FF character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If and when you make a supporter's list, you can add me.

I think it's a crying shame that Final Fantasy has had the most limited representation of any series in Smash.

A Bowl Of Cereal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5100-4725-9235
If and when you make a supporter's list, you can add me.

I think it's a crying shame that Final Fantasy has had the most limited representation of any series in Smash.
Once I figure out this website more I'll make the list but for now I suppose I can make a list with all of your usernames on it. I agree but the thing is ONLY Final Fantasy 7 is represented only one with a stage and only songs from that game which is only like 4 no Trophies which I miss or Spirits not Cloud exist. It's like they are trying to erase everything not Cloud from existence. Final Fantasy ended at 6 for me I would say 5 but it's a coin toss since not many played 5, 9 and 10 were alright 9 had to much movie video game for me though. 7 and 8 had Guns in a medieval franchise but 6 also had a lot of machine type enemies and everything past 11 pretty much followed and it doesn't play the same at all anymore they are just using the name for sales at this point unfortunately.

A Bowl Of Cereal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5100-4725-9235
Sorry I've been MIA a lot's been going on it's been a long couple of months but I have something to say... Black Mage or anyone from the series seem to have a slim chance of getting in now if not from the 7th game. I think I stated before they did not include ANYTHING from any other games in the series not 7 it's like 7 is it's own franchise now that Sephiroth has been announced. I thought Cloud getting in which I didn't agree with opened up a window for Final Fantasy to get in but now that there's 2 from the 7th game and we have no stickers, trophies, songs, stages or any reference to anything not 7 that windows been closed. It isn't over but we need to speak up this thread is dying I'm only one person we need a community push for anyone else to have a chance to get in period. 7 and beyond is when Final Fantasy branched off it's main series from Nintendo so there probably is a rights issue because of what happened with the creator of Final Fantasy and when square merged with Enix. I don't know what else to say I need some help supporting this thread and I don't know how to advertise something like this. I'm trying but it doesn't seem to be moving anywhere we are fading and I am pissed honestly.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Black Mage would have been a neat character to have too. Seing its usual proportions, it could be a great mii premium costume at least. Imagine if it comes with a classic FF music.

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather have Vivi over any classic looking black mage. FF9's my favorite JRPG of all time so might be bias for saying having Vivi in Smash over Black Mage would have a bigger impact as a whole. Black Mage could easily be a color alt though.

A Bowl Of Cereal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5100-4725-9235
Look guys Final Fantasy 9 is my 2nd favorite in the series but you guys wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the originals. Do you know how over qualified Black Mage is to be an actual character not a Mii Costume? That's a slap to the face Final Fantasy used to be at the very top in terms of RPGs but somehow Earthbound and Fire Emblem replaced them. And personally it would be a shame if that crybaby Vivi got in before the original I do not dislike him but if we're talking about fairness Vivi should be an alternate and my favorite character was Freya so I do hold a bit of a grudge seeing the events that happened in that game because of Black Mages. But in the end Cloud is the first character ever to get into Smash before the original got in first that's just a fact I do not know why and how is that fair when Smash used to be all about the classics the older you were it seemed the better your chances of getting in but not lately. You MIGHT want to checkout my design and move set for him. I'm not trying to start an argument but I will give the pioneers the edge every time.

A Bowl Of Cereal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5100-4725-9235
But guys, I don't think you have the same sense of urgency as I do everything non Final Fantasy 7 has basically been blocked off they have their own series for anyone not 7 it's code RED. Anybody not in 7s hopes are on life support right now. Only that one game and their sequels/prequels are being represented there is 0 representation except for Robin's White Mage looking color in Smash right now. Meanwhile characters like Shantae are on the rise for some reason the only reason I would want her in is because shes going to be the only actual legit Black character in Smash other than Steve and she has the move set potential she's probably going to be my next move set honestly but still do you really believe she should get the edge over a franchise that started in 1987 and is still going although is a completely different game nowadays they're just using the name by now it ended by the 10th game for me. Thoughts?

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I'd say to wait and see until tomorrow. We don't know what content Sephiroth is bringing and for all we know there could be more than just stuff from FF7 (although I would not be surprised if it was just VII content)

A Bowl Of Cereal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5100-4725-9235
I guess I'll see how it goes haven't been paying much attention to smash until I saw an ad for it on my Switch. Hopefully more people leave comments and see where we're at.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i support Black mage i wanted him before Cloud was added and still want him to this day even though i am aware the current chances are extremely low after Sephiroth was added and i was hoping for a mii costume at least

A Bowl Of Cereal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5100-4725-9235
i support Black mage i wanted him before Cloud was added and still want him to this day even though i am aware the current chances are extremely low after Sephiroth was added and i was hoping for a mii costume at least
I'll add you to the list but usually Mii Costumes mean doom. Currently only 7 is being represented not much we can do since Sakurai isn't taking fan feedback at all and I'm having a lot of trouble advertising something like this since people don't like to read took much longer to write and imagine. I've been meaning to push this more but have been occupied with other projects that I'm actually seeing results and movement for unlike this unfortunately

A Bowl Of Cereal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5100-4725-9235
I've been exploring more ways to try and advertise this since all my other options have fell through... I tried Kickstarter but because I wasn't asking for funding I don't own the character or any of their respective companies that would be copyright in my eyes so I was declined without a reason. So I'm trying Change.org it's an odd place for something like this most the stuff there is for social justice this is a video game really hope I'm not being inconsiderate I even asked support if it was okay they didn't give me a clear answer honestly. I don't have much other options I will add the link to my first post but will also add it here. If you can try and share it they want me to basically bump it everyday I'm not doing that anyways: https://www.change.org/Black-Mage-for-Smash

A Bowl Of Cereal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5100-4725-9235
I'm not sure if there will be a 6th smash if so likely not under Sakurai. I've been watching and listening I don't think it's doomsday yet but we probably will get a Deluxe version but we have 3 Enix characters now and Sora having Black Magic and a taunt with the other Final Fantasy games is a bit discouraging. I prefer my Black Mage over that one though plus it looks more like OG Black Mage/Wizard or Magus whatever their calling his job advancement now

Top Bottom