• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big change to Smash in Ultimate nobody has talked about: no more b stick wavebouncing

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
(Or b-reversing).

So this brings us to the question: WHY??? Hardly anybody used b sticking, and i was one of the few who did use it and did it very successfully. Now im one of the few players who hates ultimate because it restricted the old movement options i has via b reverse and wavebouncing.

I have three theories as to why its gone.

Theory one: I personally feel like they accidentally forgot to put it back in because hardly anyone uses it. IF THIS IS THE CASE IM BEGGING YOU, NINTENDO, TO CHANGE THIS VERY MINOR THING THAT ONLY A FEW PEOPLE USED BACK, PLEASE. IM ACTUALLY BEGGING YOU TO CHANGE IT BACK.

Theory two: Nintendo did not like people wasting their time with bidou. I agree: bidou was largely a waste of time. And i personally did not use bidou...i wavebounced and b reversed, as IS APPROPRIATE FOR SOMEONE SACRIFICING TILT OR SMASH STICK FOR SPECIAL STICK.

Theory three: they may believe that with the new mechanics that easier wavebouncing and b reversing is OP...but this is not based on any evidence, especially not based off of anything we ever saw in sm4sh.

Im thoroughly confused, nintendo, and am VERY SAD that you destroyed the new game for me the moment i played it. I am begging you once again: please fix b sticking so that i can do all my old wavebounced specials again.

As for the rest of you, what do you think? What earthly reason did Sakurai have for doing this?

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
When I was playing at my friend's place I could b-reverse fine. Furthermore, when I was watching ZeRo play :ultdiddy:on stream he could easily do the side-b banana b-reverse like he always did in Smash 4. I'm not sure how you are having trouble b-reversing; maybe you are not used to the timing since it is a different game, but it one of the techs that has not been taken out.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
When I was playing at my friend's place I could b-reverse fine. Furthermore, when I was watching ZeRo play :ultdiddy:on stream he could easily do the side-b banana b-reverse like he always did in Smash 4. I'm not sure how you are having trouble b-reversing; maybe you are not used to the timing since it is a different game, but it one of the techs that has not been taken out.
You misunderstand. Im talking about b sticking...aka setting the c stick to special. In sm4sh if you did that you could easily wavebounce or b reverse any move that could do it (except neutral b).

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
You misunderstand. Im talking about b sticking...aka setting the c stick to special. In sm4sh if you did that you could easily wavebounce or b reverse any move that could do it (except neutral b).
Oh my bad, I thought you meant b-reversing since you put "(or b-reversing)".

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
You can still do wavebounce with b stick. Leave the left stick before performing. So basically while airborne moving forward, l3ave the left stick and immediately press it again forward with the cstick in the opposite direction. It is a bummer that you have to adapt this against muscle memory but at least it still exists

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
You can still do wavebounce with b stick. Leave the left stick before performing. So basically while airborne moving forward, l3ave the left stick and immediately press it again forward with the cstick in the opposite direction. It is a bummer that you have to adapt this against muscle memory but at least it still exists
Lets say i want to b reverse a characters UP+B. With b sticking, how would i accomplish this in ultimate?

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
First of all... Did you try it? I hopeyou figured it out already. Now for the b reverse I have not found difficulty there. It is the exact same with smash 4. You should perform it like you used to. A tip that might help you because it worked for me... when I first started playing this game I could not b reverse with bstick. No matter what I did I couldn't. I supposed that this was do to the new game engine and I was kinda let down. Then I tried my brothers new controller andall of a sudden I could do it again. I opened mine (couldn't tell otherwise btw it was the controller's fault) cleaned it and used contact cleaner spray. Works like charm now. Hope this helps

Nessboy12

Smash Rookie
NNID
android5000
Switch FC
SW 5307-4178-2413
B-reversing and wavebouncing can actually be inputted with the c-stick even if it's not set to special. Idk if it works for tilt stick or any of that, but I use smash stick and it works. So basically what I do is input the special, and input the reverse with the c-stick within 4 frames. It's actually super helpful since I don't have to worry about mistiming my control stick inputs.

speedyjunk11

Smash Rookie
I was just testing out b-reversing/wavebouncing with b stick, and I'm pretty sure they intentionally took it out of game.

If you go into training mode and change the speed to anything other than x1, b stick works for wavebouncing and b-reversing. However, if you change the speed to x1 (even in training mode) it doesn't work anymore with the b stick. I guess there's a small chance that the issue could come from user error rather than the game itself, but i can even get b-reversing to work with the b stick on x1.5 speed so I doubt I'm messing up the inputs on x1. My guess here is that b-reversing with the b stick still works in the game engine, but Nintendo implemented a "fix" to disallow it from working on x1 speed (regular game speed).

Bonus

Smash Rookie
There is an easy way to b-reverse your up-b in this game. I have c-stick set to tilts however I don't think this affects the application I'm about to describe.
Well, all you do is press an up-b input, and then, at the same time press left or right on the c-stick. This will give you the inputs of *up* *left/right(c-stick is macro direction and the A button)* and *b*.

Last edited:

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
(Or b-reversing).

So this brings us to the question: WHY??? Hardly anybody used b sticking, and i was one of the few who did use it and did it very successfully. Now im one of the few players who hates ultimate because it restricted the old movement options i has via b reverse and wavebouncing.

I have three theories as to why its gone.

Theory one: I personally feel like they accidentally forgot to put it back in because hardly anyone uses it. IF THIS IS THE CASE IM BEGGING YOU, NINTENDO, TO CHANGE THIS VERY MINOR THING THAT ONLY A FEW PEOPLE USED BACK, PLEASE. IM ACTUALLY BEGGING YOU TO CHANGE IT BACK.

Theory two: Nintendo did not like people wasting their time with bidou. I agree: bidou was largely a waste of time. And i personally did not use bidou...i wavebounced and b reversed, as IS APPROPRIATE FOR SOMEONE SACRIFICING TILT OR SMASH STICK FOR SPECIAL STICK.

Theory three: they may believe that with the new mechanics that easier wavebouncing and b reversing is OP...but this is not based on any evidence, especially not based off of anything we ever saw in sm4sh.

Im thoroughly confused, nintendo, and am VERY SAD that you destroyed the new game for me the moment i played it. I am begging you once again: please fix b sticking so that i can do all my old wavebounced specials again.

As for the rest of you, what do you think? What earthly reason did Sakurai have for doing this?
All you have to do is use tilt stick > dash > tilt stick in opposit direction > jump and special same time > wave bounce complete.

Top Bottom