• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Bidou Tech

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Kk, thanks!
Oh and if you Move the C-stick as fast as if you would Dashdance, there seems to me a Normal-Special input... Still not useable?
I've never been able to get a neutral special before. Which directions do you move the stick to get that?

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
I've never been able to get a neutral special before. Which directions do you move the stick to get that?
I decribed this one weird...
You have to hold the C-Stick in any direction, then press it in the opposite corner. You'll do a Neutral-B.

I haven't been able to combine this with the Attack input however.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
I decribed this one weird...
You have to hold the C-Stick in any direction, then press it in the opposite corner. You'll do a Neutral-B.

I haven't been able to combine this with the Attack input however.
Oh wow this does input neutral special. But it doesn't let you do nairs while holding control stick.

Unix

Smash Cadet
What exactly is the difference in the Bidou with Smash and Special?

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
What exactly is the difference in the Bidou with Smash and Special?
If you use Smash stick for Bidou, you have to hold Attack and Special and have A+B Smash on. That means while Bidou is active, it's hard to do any attacks really, which is why I don't like it as much as regular Bidou. You get to keep the Smash stick for when you aren't using Bidou though.

D

Deleted member 189823

I f***ing quit Smash. I can't even Foxtrot Cancel consistently!
LOL, I just quit that control scheme. I'm still trying, tho.

any tips, for "activating" Bidou? I know you cam do it out of any action. I try to get it off of FF aerials or shield, but it's hard for me to remember to do out of the blue. I can only do it a little in training mode.

If you use Smash stick for Bidou, you have to hold Attack and Special and have A+B Smash on. That means while Bidou is active, it's hard to do any attacks really, which is why I don't like it as much as regular Bidou. You get to keep the Smash stick for when you aren't using Bidou though.
Tried it, but Specials become active for some reason. Is this a bug? I can still Bidou, but they randomly activate at times with a+B Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Im pretty new to the smash scene and this concept of play is really interesting to me im just curious what are your thoughts on the bidou play style? also if you guys have any tips that would be great as well.
The Bidou style is fun and can make a lot of actions more precise.... but Smash 4 is designed to be played with reckless abandon while actual chains are mostly limited to uptilt spams. At most it is going to give you the ability to slightly move in a single direction quickly while retaining neutral, which can potentially bait your opponent into committing an action that you can punish.... and that is the heart of Smash 4. In the end it's one more cheap trick in a bucket of them.

xaviersykora

Smash Rookie
NNID
xaviersykora
Hello! I am a Sheik main that has recently picked up the Bidou control scheme. It has been quite a change, but I've overall been really enjoying it. The one tech I miss from my previous control scheme (tilt-stick, z-spec, no^) is the ability to c-bounce. I've looked on a lot of forum/reddit posts, and messed around a bit with it last night but couldn't seem to find a way to pull it off.

If anybody could help me out, that would be amazing!

GusTurbo

Smash Cadet
NNID
GusTurbo
Here's a movement demo with Marth, using bidou.

Another, combining EDD and normal dash dancing. It makes your movement less predictable.

Last edited:

GusTurbo

Smash Cadet
NNID
GusTurbo
Awesome, how do you control the length of the foxtrots?
I've found that it's pretty simple with Marth. You can control the length of your initial dash by how you input the dash. A flick yields a shorter dash than holding your thumb on the stick slightly longer. If you're doing extended dash dancing, you just change the timing of your direction change a little differently. Here's a video:

Last edited:

GusTurbo

Smash Cadet
NNID
GusTurbo
Oh cool, this video uses sticky walking. Don't see that very often.
The creator of this video has been exploring sticky walking out of EDD. He seems to have found that you revert to standing state more quickly out of a sticky walk than out of a normal run. I've tried it and it seems faster, but I don't have solid frame frame data to back it up.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
The creator of this video has been exploring sticky walking out of EDD. He seems to have found that you revert to standing state more quickly out of a sticky walk than out of a normal run. I've tried it and it seems faster, but I don't have solid frame frame data to back it up.
I just caught up on this in the Bidou discord. My question is, do you dash->shield faster than a normal run too? Because that's one of the weaknesses of EDD.

GusTurbo

Smash Cadet
NNID
GusTurbo
I just caught up on this in the Bidou discord. My question is, do you dash->shield faster than a normal run too? Because that's one of the weaknesses of EDD.
I was trying to test that, and I couldn't tell. I didn't put too much time into it though. I think it's definitely possible.

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
So, what characters do you guys think would benefit the most from bidou techs if mastered?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mH528Pdh1Rk
I know Little Mac has a great advantage from this TECH because his pivots have great range and the extended range you get out of perfect pivot Ftilts are very beneficial since they are one of his faster kill moves in terms of when the hit box becomes active. Overall, BIDOU gives characters who have large pivot ranges like Mac, C. Falcon, and Fox more of a benefit cause it helps out their spacing.

Last edited:

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
sticky walk shield seems to come out a -little- faster than dash shield. 2 tiles for dash shield, 1.2 tiles for shield. Tested at 1/4 speed while drunk.

All things tested on ryu stage.

Safelg123

Smash Cadet
been using bidou since around august messing around with fox and yesterday i was at a tournament doing some friendlies and it's pretty hard activating bidou since i'm using gamecube controller but i gotta get use to it. Any new tech or want to lab ? new bidou info here any?

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
I'm still not sure if C-bouncing is possible with the Special Stick..

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
I'm still not sure if C-bouncing is possible with the Special Stick..
C-bouncing doesn't work with special stick. You can play around with ways to use the special stick to help you input a wavebounce neutral B, and they work ok, but none are as good as C-bouncing.

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
Did you manage to do a grounded wavebounce using the Special Stick?
(For example sheiks needles)

Safelg123

Smash Cadet
i can try but my fox is good i can pivot walk, step dash, frame perfect turnarounds, step walk, dash dance i'm working on my
fox movement more

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Did you manage to do a grounded wavebounce using the Special Stick?
(For example sheiks needles)
Hm, I haven't gotten to trying it grounded. In the air, you can move your C-stick left/right and nothing happens, but on the ground it's different.

EDIT: If you want to test or refine this method, what I'm trying might be overly complicated, but it's like this:

(while facing right)
hold C-stick left -> release Special button to turn Bidou off -> C-stick right to input neutral B -> L-stick right

Last edited:

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
Hm, I haven't gotten to trying it grounded. In the air, you can move your C-stick left/right and nothing happens, but on the ground it's different.

EDIT: If you want to test or refine this method, what I'm trying might be overly complicated, but it's like this:

(while facing right)
hold C-stick left -> release Special button to turn Bidou off -> C-stick right to input neutral B -> L-stick right
Very interesting idea, I'll definitely try this out soon.

Btw. you actually do move if you use the Bidou stick in the air: https://youtu.be/PTY8LNEGpoQ

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
isnt grounded wavebounce neutral b like the same thing as c bouncing?

also anyone have any experience with sonic or rosalina using bidou? do they have any cool stuff?

Safelg123

Smash Cadet
not really and there is cool stuff with sonic i know a guy who did something nice with sonic and guys do you think horizontal momentum is faster?

Awkwardgeek54

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jpr123_Mendoza
With bidou??
For Characters like Bowser you want to hit the c stick down and a few frames after the c stick down you want to hit the opposite direction. But you must remember that it'll only work once your character enters the full run animation.

Top Bottom