• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
imo it's 50-50 until mk gimps snake. if mk can't get low percent kills offstage, then it's pretty even.

anyway

IRL what kinds of strategies do you use with squirtle and ivysaur against meat rider knight? i seem to do fine when charizard is out but the other two kind of give me a deficit that charizard has to deal with on that last stock.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Squirtle

Jab > MKs ground game.

This is like AD's bread and butter. 1 frame jab beats everything. Jab him off level/into the air and follow up.

Dair > MKs shield. It almost always gets through.

With Squirtle just try and pressure him, if he stays in his shield for more than a second you can poke him, MK's shield is really terrible.

I also like to randomly water gun to mess up their spacing/annoy them.

Withdraw is surprisingly good for not getting gimped.

Do it when you are really high and save your jump and you will ALWAYS make it back.

Ivysaur = Dont play her in this match up.

If you do, only at high percents. Spam Ftilit Dtilt Nair and Upsmash.

Spam upair and dash attack.

TYPHDASH.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Do you know what P.T.'s good and bad stages are? I found a thread on this, but I can't seem to get a precise answer. Also, some reasons why would be good too if it doesn't bother you too much. Thanks!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Squirtle

Jab > MKs ground game.

This is like AD's bread and butter. 1 frame jab beats everything. Jab him off level/into the air and follow up.

Dair > MKs shield. It almost always gets through.

With Squirtle just try and pressure him, if he stays in his shield for more than a second you can poke him, MK's shield is really terrible.

I also like to randomly water gun to mess up their spacing/annoy them.

Withdraw is surprisingly good for not getting gimped.

Do it when you are really high and save your jump and you will ALWAYS make it back.

Ivysaur = Dont play her in this match up.

If you do, only at high percents. Spam Ftilit Dtilt Nair and Upsmash.

Spam upair and dash attack.

TYPHDASH.
Yeah, if MK gets in his mach tornado and goes above her, up smash. its super effective.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
ERM I have a question and i dont care how dumb it sounds...which part of ivys body needs to hit the opponent in order to perform A n-air spike? Also what is type dashing? That's 2 questions.

Player-3

Smash Hero
I got one for you..

how come every pokemon trainer i see (not saying i watch good ones) never uses Charzars Utilt/Dtilt, or Squirtles Dtilt/Ftilt?

\=

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
They're nobs.

Because honestly, they're very useful moves, particularly Zard dtilt and Squirtle ftilt.

I'm in ur thread, stealin ur thunder.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
I got one for you..

how come every pokemon trainer i see (not saying i watch good ones) never uses Charzars Utilt/Dtilt, or Squirtles Dtilt/Ftilt?

\=
There aren't side hitboxes with charizards side hitboxes, making it difficult to pull off, making upsmash or infin uair much for viable options.. Most people use Charizards down tilt because it is probably one of the best moves in his arsenal, I prefer the side tilt because it's just hilarious to watch. As for squirtle, I use the down tilt to get through shields, I'm not saying it goes through shields, the move lasts a long time so the opponent lets go of the shield button prematurely. If you haven't seen anybody use squirtles ftilt... that's just sad. It comes out fast, good for spacing, you can even infin them with it.

But then again, what do I know? Not my thread anyway...

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
I got one for you..

\=
I think it's because grabbing for Charizard is a lot quicker out of shield, and jabbing for Squartle come out 3 frames faster than f-tilt. Charizard's up-tilt is used when your opponent is directly above you and is really safe compared to up-smash; up-tilt is about as difficult to land as DDD's up-tilt I think, which may explain why some people never use it in some matches.

Squartle's f-tilt has more range than jab, and is safer on block. D-tilt is a good defensive move, and one of his fastest options to jab cancel with. Charizard's d-tilt is one of his safest KO moves, but is pretty difficult to land.

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
I got one for you..

\=
Because they simply don't know how awesome those moves can be. -Or- you're just not watching the right PTs ;<

Squirtle's down tilt is a little harder to pull off, simply because they have to be at close range and on the floor, and it has a little bit of start up time, so by the time you're ready to use it they're either striking with a faster move or spacing away. It's a move you can incorporate to surprise your opponent with a move they don't see coming since it's not used often, or Jab > Dtilt. Not common but possible.

The other tilt moves are all great. Charizard's tilts have kill potential and Squirtle's can be for spacing, or comboing with his down tilt.

CRUSH_

Smash Cadet
I'm only mentioning this because I've got a friend who seems to know just about everything about this game and HE'd never seen it before so it might be new.

I was recovering as Ivysaur and he did the edgehog thing to stop the tether so I used the leaf-shooty move which knocked him off and I still had time to tether the edge.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I dont use zard's d-tilt. I'm highly guilty of that and am trying to get into the habbit of using it.... actually all the d-tilts and u-titlts for all three I dont use that much. I need to start using those moves more. howeve for squirtle f-titlt is too good. It's helped my alot. I need alot more practiiiccccceeee.....

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
Charizard's down tilt is the move that no one suspects, so it's great to see the look on their faces when they get killed by a bite to the ankles.

Ivysaur's up tilt isn't too well versed as the others. It's not as fast as the other too pokmon, it's a bit easier to block, but you can make it work. A good counter tends to be to spot dodge and up tilt with either Charizard or Squirtle, and with Ivysaur you spot dodge to Bullet Seed. If you try and spot dodge to up tilt with Ivysaur, there's enough start up time for your opponent to spot dodge or block, so look for other ways to use his up tilt.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
nair to utilt is a cool kill set up at like 150%. utilt is usually fresh since it's a lil more situational than Ivy's other tilts.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Charizard's down tilt is the move that no one suspects, so it's great to see the look on their faces when they get killed by a bite to the ankles.

Ivysaur's up tilt isn't too well versed as the others. It's not as fast as the other too pokmon, it's a bit easier to block, but you can make it work. A good counter tends to be to spot dodge and up tilt with either Charizard or Squirtle, and with Ivysaur you spot dodge to Bullet Seed. If you try and spot dodge to up tilt with Ivysaur, there's enough start up time for your opponent to spot dodge or block, so look for other ways to use his up tilt.
heh. spot dodge bullet seed is something I learned a few weeks ago. if you ask me any move that should be used after a spot dodge, it's that. >=D it owns and rocks my matches. You have a good point about the unpredictability of zards d-tilt. It's like my using zair with TL, cuz I rarely use it.

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
Spot dodge > Bullet Seed is godly. Finding ways to incorporate your Bullet Seed into my Ivysaur game has always been key and it makes him more valuable than people give him credit for. Damage racker.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
When I went to my friend's house friday I managed a pro-like Nair chain on him as Ivy agaisnt his fox. if only I could have recorded it, you would have loved it. I'm begining to abuse nair and it works so well.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
erm I still need my othe question answered. What part if ivy initiates the n-air spike?

I wanna know how to be pro.
I like the spikes.
Pt is od.
okay I'll stop myself to seeming like a idiot and quit rhyming.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
erm I still need my othe question answered. What part if ivy initiates the n-air spike?

I like the spikes.
Pt is od.
her butt to put it plainly. if you go to training mode and have the CPU jump and use nair where her butt hits them, you should see the spike. or if you just wana practice with nair, just nair them up and DI foreward and then nair them when they are on her backside. theres a vid somewhere, showing this stuff. try it out, if not, look in the In Depth Analysis thread, and the Useful threads thread, should be something around there.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
np. I hope it works. I dont see a reason why it shouldnt, as long as you carefully place the Nair at her backside you should see results. Just keep practicing that nair till you get it.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
How does one do the double nair. Is it a full jump immediatly followed by a nair, then another nair? I keep trying to do it, but I always hit the ground after the first nair too early to jump again.

CoonTail

Smash Lord

I like the spikes.
Pt is od.
Demon the spike is caused by the lower back half of ivy's body's hitbox. For the most part people jus say the butt, but it is more her stomach or belly because to guarentee the spike you need to be above the enemy grinding ivy's belly with the opp's chest or high quaters. To fully get the best spike try insta tethering to n-air spikes off the edge, youll find that if you hit the opp as they raise vertically to recover you can always hit them with your belly and stay above them so that the spike occurs. Also guys remeber when n-air spiking you can DI and pull your Ivy away from the opp causing the spike hitbox to occur as one of the last hitboxes to strike your opp always resulting in a spike. So if you accidently hit them with too much of Ivy's n-air DI hard to the side and you can still pull out of the attack and cause the spike. Lol I love this spike and have basically worked on it till I mastered it so if you ever have questions about it please feel free to ask.

How does one do the double nair. Is it a full jump immediatly followed by a nair, then another nair? I keep trying to do it, but I always hit the ground after the first nair too early to jump again.
Pichu post this question on the combosaur thread cuz Pants does this all the time with general ease it seems like so if anything I would ask him for the full breakdown.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
It's always fun doing a nair chain. It just involves quite a few very accurate and controled nairs and the keen ability to immediatly short hop and repeat the process. It's a bit easy if you spam Nair alot because eventually you learn to control it from using it so much.

Itburns

Smash Journeyman
doing a double nair actually has 2 timings:
one when you whiff and one when you hit.

I use the x button to jump then slide my thumb to a as fast as possible, then you have to watch when the move ends and push the jump button. if done correctly you should dj instead of land. this can be done with bair aswell.

it takes some practice but eventually it becomes muscle memory.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
doing a double nair actually has 2 timings:
one when you whiff and one when you hit.

I use the x button to jump then slide my thumb to a as fast as possible, then you have to watch when the move ends and push the jump button. if done correctly you should dj instead of land. this can be done with bair aswell.

it takes some practice but eventually it becomes muscle memory.
yeah. It's begining to become second natured to me, but even so, I still need more practice

Top Bottom