• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Kris121

Smash Journeyman
at 5 pages I officially declare this will be called the BIBAREL academy!!
On topic.. should ivys bair EVER used offencivly

Miles.

Smash Champion
Charizard 92, you REALLY like the word "narcissism" and various forms, don't you :)?

Who, if any of the pokemon, can the Ice Climbers NOT infinite?

And what's Kallen's phone number?
They can infinite every character in the game.

I'll give you a hint. 4 words, and the last one is Brawl.

It's in Snake's smash taunt with Meta Knight.

On topic... IRL, which Pokemon, in your opinion, should start the match?
Lol you are asking me.

Cmon Zard duh.

But it varies on the match up I suppose, this is something AD and I debate a lot.

The only thing that I would suggest is keep Ivy out only at high percents so you dont want to start with Ivy.

at 5 pages I officially declare this will be called the BIBAREL academy!!
On topic.. should ivys bair EVER used offencivly
Ivys bair is an attack that I find very good for shield pressure or just to make someone feel very contained. I like to just frustrate people with it. They seem to get really annoyed when you hit them with it like 8 times, they dont seem to notice it does like 3% they just get frustrated that it beat/outranges soo much stuff.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Lol you are asking me.

Cmon Zard duh.

But it varies on the match up I suppose, this is something AD and I debate a lot.

The only thing that I would suggest is keep Ivy out only at high percents so you dont want to start with Ivy.
just getting confirmation. YOU PASSED THE TEST! Give this guy a free cookie!

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
IRL, my Barawl still tells me that it's awaiting registration for you as my friend. You sure you've added me in BRAWL, as well as on the Wii? Sorry I keep asking, it's just that I'm getting frustrated and it's probably, considering my luck, something wrong with my Wii.

Tenki

Smash Hero
random almost serious question:

Your Squirtle is at 80% and your opponent is at 60% and you are out of stamina.

What do you do?

:<

Miles.

Smash Champion
IRL, my Barawl still tells me that it's awaiting registration for you as my friend. You sure you've added me in BRAWL, as well as on the Wii? Sorry I keep asking, it's just that I'm getting frustrated and it's probably, considering my luck, something wrong with my Wii.
Yeah i did.

@ Tenki
you put enough damage on him until a downthrow will send him far enough to give you time to switch or you gimp him and switch.

if you can land a smash or any attack that will send them far enough away to give you an opening, then switch.

i will ply as a fatigued squirtle a lot myself.
ill used whole first stock on zard. fatigued or not.
second one on squirtle fatigued or not
and then switch from ivy right at the start of my last stock and use all zard.

not saying that i never use ivy, but that is how a lot of my matches look.

Tenki

Smash Hero
you put enough damage on him until a downthrow will send him far enough to give you time to switch or you gimp him and switch.

if you can land a smash or any attack that will send them far enough away to give you an opening, then switch.

ay, k thanks.

general fatigue question - when fatigued at a high % (both you and your opponent are at a kill% - except you need like, 20-30% more damage on your opponent because you're fatigued), and your next pokemon is THE disadvantaged one that has trouble landing a kill move on your opponent's character, what do you do?

a] Keep fighting with fatigued pokemon and try to take opponent to fatigue kill%, and finish him off?
And I guess after you kill your opponent, you either...
- stay with your current Pokemon and try to deal as much damage as possible, then switch ASAP with the disadvantaged one on your next stock?
- switch to disadvantaged Pokemon, try to damage, but probably die? (death-switches you to a better Pokemon for the matchup)​
b] Try to do a knock off + switch, and attempt to kill with the disadvantaged Pokemon?
You'll be using your disadvantaged Pokemon, but you can at least gamble that your next one can get a kill move, and if it dies first, you at least avoid having to fight with your fatigued Pokemon. But your next pokemon will be a little closer to fatigue point.​
c] Fight until your current pokemon dies, then use the 0% and/or invincibility to either switch or knock off+switch to next pokemon?
I guess this is what'd happen if you tried [a] and failed lol​
d] other?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
D: let them get a free KO on the weak one and then you got a fresh one (does not work on last life).

Syrus_Draco

Smash Apprentice
It's really up on the player's shoulders to eye ball how well they can work with the pokemon w/ fatigue and agaisnt the match up. Pending on the case I would seek to try and switch and make the kill, but be careful as your opponent may pick up the tell tale signs that you're trying to make an opening to switch since you have high damage and fatigue on. Some cases require the trainer to try and kill with your fatigued pokemon even at a disadvantage or to keep mashing damage till you die and start fresh. Dying isn't always a consequence when you're pinned to the wall like that since it gives you a fresh new start, but it is taking two steps back.

If you happened to land a kill with your fatigue pokemon I'd strongly recommend staying with it. You're at a high percent as it were and you're expect to get knocked out pretty soon, so land whatever damage you can -tactfully- so when you die and switch to a new pokemon, you're ready to go.

As PT is a changing fighters you need to learn to eye ball the situation, stage, opponent, tactics, every option you can utilize. Depending on the situation and how well -you- know you can handle the situation, either one of those answers could be a good answer. The answers are all situational, so it's never "This answers solves the situation all the time" because you're always pinned in different ways.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Is this thread going to be adapted to a whole community Q&A? I am not doubting IRL's intelligence but it is good to get different answers and opinions from different perspectives and point of views and not only one person. :)

Also I am not denying that it may already be like that, but the first post was a bit unclear.

Miles.

Smash Champion
ay, k thanks.

general fatigue question - when fatigued at a high % (both you and your opponent are at a kill% - except you need like, 20-30% more damage on your opponent because you're fatigued), and your next pokemon is THE disadvantaged one that has trouble landing a kill move on your opponent's character, what do you do?

a] Keep fighting with fatigued pokemon and try to take opponent to fatigue kill%, and finish him off?
And I guess after you kill your opponent, you either...
- stay with your current Pokemon and try to deal as much damage as possible, then switch ASAP with the disadvantaged one on your next stock?
- switch to disadvantaged Pokemon, try to damage, but probably die? (death-switches you to a better Pokemon for the matchup)​
b] Try to do a knock off + switch, and attempt to kill with the disadvantaged Pokemon?
You'll be using your disadvantaged Pokemon, but you can at least gamble that your next one can get a kill move, and if it dies first, you at least avoid having to fight with your fatigued Pokemon. But your next pokemon will be a little closer to fatigue point.​
c] Fight until your current pokemon dies, then use the 0% and/or invincibility to either switch or knock off+switch to next pokemon?
I guess this is what'd happen if you tried [a] and failed lol​
d] other?

I think A and B are the best routes to take.

Do multi-hit moves or jab comboes count as more than one move in terms of stale moves?
Yup.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
most jab combos count as more than one stale move. zard and squirtle's should and ivysaur's should not. but as you can tell, i haven't tested myself.

multi hit moves like falcon fury jab and ivy tentacle **** do not count as more than one move.

Kris121

Smash Journeyman
i was hit from up from falcos forward b and then i was spiked down just to where the ledge is he edgehogged what do i do btw im ivysaur

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
what about multi-hit moves like Ivy's ftilt?
Edit: Also, don't moves get refreshed, the more you use other moves that connect? That could be really useful for refreshing moves.

To Kris121: You die.

Miles.

Smash Champion
i was hit from up from falcos forward b and then i was spiked down just to where the ledge is he edgehogged what do i do btw im ivysaur
Dont get hit.

(I am not really entirely sure of what you are saying. Its a little unlcear.
what about multi-hit moves like Ivy's ftilt?
Edit: Also, don't moves get refreshed, the more you use other moves that connect? That could be really useful for refreshing moves.

To Kris121: You die.
GO read stuff.

Really a lot of your answers arent to hard to find. This doesnt even really have much to do with PT.

Ftilt is one move, and only counts as one towards freshness/staleness.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer

this my friends is how you play pokemon trainer

listen to this man, he knows much

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
How would Pokemon Trainer do in Norfair if my opponent used that as a counterpick stage?

Miles.

Smash Champion
PT likes norfair.

If you are on the top platforms your vertical KO moves kill sooner.

Ivy doesnt get gimped here. THIS IS A BIG DEAL.

Ivy camps really well here.

When there are stage hazards like the lava you can get free and protected switches.

Zard is good at going out there and Fair gimping or spiking people still, in that weird no mans land off to the sides.

PT has good throws, throw people into the lava walls.

Overall it doesnt hurt much at all in my opinion, infact i consider it one of PTs better levels.

Kris121

Smash Journeyman
MasterIRL I believe since this has 5 pages of posts now it is called the BIBAREL academy!! Can you please change the title? Also I actually do good with Chars head smash so can you tell me if using fsmash is a good idea and if there is an alternative what is it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BIBAREL

Miles.

Smash Champion
MasterIRL I believe since this has 5 pages of posts now it is called the BIBAREL academy!! Can you please change the title? Also I actually do good with Chars head smash so can you tell me if using fsmash is a good idea and if there is an alternative what is it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BIBAREL
what?

what about fsmash and headsmash?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i like using fsmash out of a grab release

if the opponent likes spotdodging out of it

**** them

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I like Using Nair alot cuz I can follow up easily with ftilt. or a bair. Ivy have gotten quite fun though my PT game still needs more improvement cuz I stick so the same stuff for each pokemon and I'm not diversifying the way I play.

Also this thread is going into my infinite abyss of bidoof, along with my random bibarel and the hiker that didnt give me rock climb when I asked for it.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
K im gonna vs a ZSS later and whats the best stage to Cp
(this next question is aimed to bomber)
Should i use PT or TL against ZSS

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Go with who you want with cuz hewres how I lok at it.

Tl has projectiles and you can choose FD to outrange her or smashville. but if you are more of the close range type and want to keep pressure on her then go to battlefield reguardless of the character(PT or TL) but in this case TL cuz you have bombs you got a pressure game going for ya.

For PT you wana watch who you start with. Squirtle I'm afraid, unless you uyse him like a pro, will be a waste of a stock. Ivy and Charz is where its at. If you staart with squirtle I suggest sprint fighting(going all out with him cuz you cant last long against ZZS) and back drop he when she is around 50%. this wont take long to do that. and like you see me do all the time, after I back drop you, switch to Ivy. use Ivy to razor leaf and if she tries to use and aerial game, use ivys good smashes and other moves to shoot her down, or if you time it right, snipe her(Up-B her while on the ground) Nair is definatly your best friend. follow up with f-tilt if you can, Bair is also good for ivy.

Charz, you know rock smash and flame thrower are your best friends and charz has an amazing grab game. and only dair if you know you will make it. also if you ever find yourself flying to the stage and make it and your opponent is in range follow up with the appropriate smash(fsmash is the most common one the situation calls for)

stages: FD, Yoshi, Lylat (angle changes(be careful), smash ville

Miles.

Smash Champion
i like using fsmash out of a grab release

if the opponent likes spotdodging out of it

**** them
lol ima doo this.

i hit so many fsmashes today it was funny.

I stick to the same stuff for each pokemon and I'm not diversifying the way I play.
Mix it up.
What I like to do is think about each pokemons move set and what move is my most underused one with each pokemon.

and use that move more, make a point to use it and look at situations differently.

^_^Fsmash.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Go with who you want with cuz hewres how I lok at it.

Tl has projectiles and you can choose FD to outrange her or smashville. but if you are more of the close range type and want to keep pressure on her then go to battlefield reguardless of the character(PT or TL) but in this case TL cuz you have bombs you got a pressure game going for ya.

For PT you wana watch who you start with. Squirtle I'm afraid, unless you uyse him like a pro, will be a waste of a stock. Ivy and Charz is where its at. If you staart with squirtle I suggest sprint fighting(going all out with him cuz you cant last long against ZZS) and back drop he when she is around 50%. this wont take long to do that. and like you see me do all the time, after I back drop you, switch to Ivy. use Ivy to razor leaf and if she tries to use and aerial game, use ivys good smashes and other moves to shoot her down, or if you time it right, snipe her(Up-B her while on the ground) Nair is definatly your best friend. follow up with f-tilt if you can, Bair is also good for ivy.

Charz, you know rock smash and flame thrower are your best friends and charz has an amazing grab game. and only dair if you know you will make it. also if you ever find yourself flying to the stage and make it and your opponent is in range follow up with the appropriate smash(fsmash is the most common one the situation calls for)

stages: FD, Yoshi, Lylat (angle changes(be careful), smash ville
NVM i lost im sad it was a tourni match

Bomber7

Smash Hero
sorry man. I took too long. better luck next time. Learn from what you did wrong. By the way what did happen?

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
first match ZSS vs TL on BF he won
second match i CP PS1 PTvs rob He won 2-0
TSM by the way was the one who fought me (my Best bud on the forums)

Bomber7

Smash Hero
ROB was a bad match up for PT. TL could have made the match closer and I would have chosen something like Batlefield or a mid range stage like that, so that you do get out ranged by that laser. PS1 would have been good for PT against ZZS or TL.

You'll get better. I havent played ZZS yet but ROBs... yeah. You gotta be all over the place making mind games and being unpredictable or try to as much as possible.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
yeah but you know me reckless as usual but im also known to improve.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
nothing wrong with that. I still have to beat sudai next Friday for a shot at Santi's goggles. TL is my only choice in hopes of winning unless he choses that easy of a match up to go PT. however Sudai is not a push over. his ROB is wow....

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
nothing wrong with that. I still have to beat sudai next Friday for a shot at Santi's goggles. TL is my only choice in hopes of winning unless he choses that easy of a match up to go PT. however Sudai is not a push over. his ROB is wow....
I want Santi's goggles there awsome.SO yeah gotta improve on PT for a shot at those goggles.Against rob its like we are "SUPA EFFECTIVE" to his attacks

Top Bottom